Nothing Holdin Me Back

By ILLUMlNATE

"If you're by my side and we stumble in the dark I know we'd be alright..." ... More

Intro
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
Epilogue
Ending Explained

XV

5.6K 244 263
By ILLUMlNATE

"The feeling I get when I'm with you, it's addicting."

•••

Maddox.

The past two days Shawn had convinced me to take time off from work. Even though I told him I was fine with what happened he assured me to stay. He said he's seen it before, people get paranoid and he just wanted me to get back to being comfortable.

So all I did was study on the first day and then relaxed after cleaning on the second day. Well technically today was the second day but it was dragging on. No matter what I cleaned I felt bored and like I was just wasting time.

It was barley 1 in the afternoon and I was laying down on my couch. I had a bowl of strawberries next to me and practically ate them all. I sighed as I watched the Titanic for the 50th time.

I then heard a knock on my door, I looked in the direction of it. Ugh it seemed so far away from where I was comfortably laying.

"No ones home so go away." I yelled.

"Not even if I have donuts and coffee?" I heard them ask from behind the door.

I quickly got up and opened the door to find Shawn. He wore a white tshirt, jeans and a matching jean like button up. His curls were growing to the point where you'd find few on his forehead making a c. He had the sleeves of his button up rolled up a little showing his watch and his tattoo.

He had a small box of Krispy Kreme donuts and Starbucks. I opened the door wider for him to walk in.

"You know it's like 1 pm and your idea or lunch is donuts." I told him as he walked over and sat on the couch.

He smiled, "Is that such a bad thing? You can never go wrong with donuts and coffee."

I sat down next to him and nodded, "Yeah you're right."

He opened the box and I grabbed a glazed one. He then handed me my coffee and we continued to watch the titanic. Once we finished our donuts I wanted to know why he showed up. Especially without a text.

"So Mendes why are you here?" I asked before taking a sip from my drink.

He gave me a funny look, "Can't I just bring you donuts and coffee and just check up on you?"

He looked over and draped his arm on the top of the couch behind me. I narrowed my eyes at him in a questioning way. He rolled his eyes and sighed.

"Okay fine yes I came over with a motive." He confessed.

"And what would that motive be?" I asked.

He smiled, "I want to take you somewhere. I know I told you to take a few days off of work since what happened. So I thought I'd go with you to get fresh air."

I laughed, "Oh really and what did you have in mind?"

He shrugged, "Maybe go to the beach?"

I looked behind him where my window was and seen the gloomy sky. I looked back over at him and raised my eyebrow.

"The beach? While it's gloomy?" I asked.

He laughed, "Well I didn't say we had to get in."

I nodded, "Okay so what? You just want to walk along the ocean side?"

"Yeah why not." He shrugged.

I shook my head, "You are something else, wait here while I go get dressed."

With that said I got up and went to my bedroom. I shut the door and looked for something to wear. We were going to the beach but not in the water so no point in wearing anything you would to the beach.

I picked out some ripped jeans and a black v neck. I chose a military green jacket to go over it and then my black vans. Once I was dressed I went to my bathroom to freshen up and make sure I smelled nice and looked presentable.

Once I sprayed my perfume I went back into my room to grab my bag and phone. Once I had everything I went back out into the living room and seen Shawn typing away on his phone. I walked over and grabbed my coffee which made him look up.

"Ready?" He asked.

I nodded, "Ready as I'll ever be."

He then got up and grabbed his coffee before we walked out of my apartment. I locked it up before we walked down the hallway. Once out of the complex we walked over to the parking lot where his truck was located.

He unlocked it and held the passengers door open for me. I got in and he closed it after before he walked around and got in the driver seat. He started up the truck and drove away from my apartments.

"Hey do you have any music?" I asked as I grabbed phone.

I seen him get tense, "Uh no."

I went to his music clearly seeing how tense he was. Probably because I had his phone and he had something to hide. But I knew if that was me I wouldn't want anyone to look through my phone.

I showed him I was just in his music before scrolling through the songs. I seen a lot of Ed Sheeran and John Mayer. Actually every album and song was downloaded, along with other artists some I never heard of.

I then came across unknown files, "What are these?" I asked him.

He glanced over as he turned the corner, "Uh nothing."

"Really? Cause a minute ago you said you didn't have music and you actually do." I said and he just smirked.

"It's nothing I promise." He told me.

I rolled my eyes and put it on, it then played in the car thanks to Bluetooth. A guitar started to play and then I heard it. It was his voice, he was singing so softly, the lyrics sounded like he was hurt.

'So you leave tomorrow, just sleep the night. I promise I'll make things right, I'll make you breakfast the way you like...'

The song continued and he just sounded really hurt. I listened carefully to the softness of his voice. You could hear the emotion in his voice. I looked over at him and he just kept his eyes on the road.

When I first met him he never seemed like someone who's been through hurt. Then again maybe I didn't but I did, I just wonder why he never told me. I practically told him about my traumatic past.

"I didn't know you could sing." I said as the song ended.

He shrugged, "Only here and there and that's when I have free time. With work and all."

"So who was she?" I asked.

He looked over at me before looking back at the road, "Who was who?"

I rolled my eyes, "Shawn I'm not a fool, you can't sing like that with that kind of emotion and have not experienced heartbreak."

He didn't say anything for a while before he sighed, "Her name was Alice, we were married for a short time but together as boyfriend and girlfriend since freshman year of college."

"Married huh?" I asked.

I then realized that could've been the reason why he didn't want to kiss me. Why he didn't want to be with me, because he was just married.

"Yup for a good few months then it went to shit. I actually signed the divorce papers a few weeks ago." He told me.

I looked at all the trees passing by as he continued to drive, "What happened if you don't mind me asking. Like why'd you write this song?" I asked.

"Because I was in love with her, but work always kept me busy. We hardly got to see each other and I eventually found her cheating. She didn't deny it, but me being dumb and naive didn't care. I couldn't lose her, I didn't want to I was so in love. But she wanted something different, so she told me she was leaving me." He told me.

I looked down at my hands feeling my heart break for him. I couldn't imagine loving someone and unintentionally drifting just to see them betray you. Then when you want to make things work, they don't.

"I'm sorry." I said.

He looked over at me and smiled, "Why?"

I shrugged, "Sorry that it happened to you. You sounded hurt in the song, which by the way I love. I also love the way you sing, you'll have to sing for me one of these days."

He smiled and nodded, "Yeah maybe."

We then arrived at the beach and he parked the car. We got out and walked down to the rocky area. Luckily there were no waves so we could walk along the rocks.

"So tell me something else about you." I told him as I tried to balance on from rock to rock.

He held my hand making sure I stayed balanced, "Uh well I have a huge fear of open water."

I looked down at him and gave him a weird look, "You have a fear of open water and you suggested the beach?"

He chuckled, "To be fair we're not that deep in the water. Plus it's again too cold to even go in."

I shook my head, "I have a fear of open water as well but not so much being stranded. It's the unknown that I fear, there's so much we don't know that's really under water. It gives me chills just thinking about it."

Shawn nodded his head, we continued to talk as we walked from rock to rock. Shawn was on a flatter surface and I was on a more edgy one that was a little higher. So he held my hand just in case I were to fall.

"Today was such a nice day to come out." I told him as I sat down on one of the rocks.

The height difference was literally leveled when I sat down. He stood between my legs and smiled as he looked up at the sky. I had a good view of his neck as he looked up. I noticed these two freckles on his neck.

He looked back at me and nodded, "Yeah it's nice out, not cold nor hot."

"Do you ever miss her?" I asked out of nowhere.

I knew deep down I was the one that pressured him to have feelings for me. Or because I was yelling at him a week ago I just now knew why he didn't want to be in a relationship. I didn't want to be with him if he was still in love with another girl.

"Who? Alice? God no, I was happy to sign the papers. The song you heard was written and recorded the day after she left me. That was months ago and now I just focus on work more." He told me as he rested his hands on the rock which trapped me in his arms.

"Work only?" I asked.

He looked at me in my eyes and sighed, "I used to be so involved in my work, it was the one thing constant. Then I met you and I just couldn't shake you. There's something about you, I have no idea what it is. But the feeling I get when I'm with you, it's addicting."

I smiled, "Well than that makes two of us."

I wrapped my arms around his neck and leaned in to kiss him. He met me halfway and his plump soft lips connected with mine. My eyes fluttered close and I could feel my stomach flip.

We pulled apart since it was a short sweet kiss. He then helped me down off the rocks and onto the leveled ground.

"I'll race you." I told him before turning around and taking off.

I could here his boots hit against the wet rocks. I hurried as fast as I could careful not to trip. I then felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and pick me up off the ground. I laughed as he spun us, he then set me down and turned me around.

He grabbed my jacket zipper and pulled me closer. He smiled wide showing that contagious smile I loved. He then leaned down and captured my lips once again.

I then felt a drop on my forehead, I pulled away and looked up to see a gray cloud. Shawn did as well which resulted in him getting hit by a drop of water on his cheek.

"Come on before we get soaked." Shawn said.

He then grabbed my hand and ran with me back to the truck. We got back on time before it started to rain down harder. We were both laughing from having just ran through the drizzle.

"Let get dinner and then I'll take you home." He told me.

I nodded, "Sounds like a date."

"It is if you want it to be." He told me as he started up the car.

I smiled at him which caused him to smile back, "Great then it's a date."

Authors Note//
Hehe a update that's kind of cute?
Let me know what you think
Until Next Time Peace Lovelies ✌🏼💚

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

348K 13.2K 68
"There's no safety net that's underneath, I'm free fallin' all in you..." ••• Fate has a funny way of working...
25K 731 38
To you, he was your idol, your everything, your biggest inspiration. But to him, you were just another fan in the crowd. That was, until his eyes met...
22.9K 525 40
Read at your own risk, please note that this book is full of cringiness my 11 year old ass back then wrote but i do kind of like 'Even if you dont me...
316K 11K 45
"What If I Told You a Story? All about someone who loves you..." ••• Sequel to I Don't Even Know Your Name Af...