Waiting

By cheesehead

Taylor has been having a rough time. With her Mom and brother dead, her sister constantly upset, and her boyf... More

Waiting
Waiting Ch. 2
Waiting Ch. 3
Waiting Ch. 4
Waiting Ch. 5
Waiting Ch. 6
Waiting Ch. 7
Waiting Ch. 8
Waiting Ch. 9
Waiting Ch. 10
Waiting Ch. 11
Waiting Ch. 12
Waiting Ch. 13
Waiting Ch. 14
Waiting Ch. 15
Waiting Ch. 16
Waiting Ch. 17
Waiting Ch. 18
Waiting Ch. 19
Waiting Ch. 21
Waiting Ch. 22 (Final Chapter)

Waiting Ch. 20

3.2K 49 8
By cheesehead

Okay, before you start this chapter, I want to say dnt judge me to harshly. i needed a way for Mason to understand tht no one wanted him to die, and this was the only real way i cld think of! I love it, I think it's cute, but u might think othrwise. oh well, enjoy:)

Chapter Twenty

"Mason," I said sternly, "You are not going to die."

He sighed, "I think I might. The pain is intolerable. It hurts so much, and...and."

"Mason," I whispered, I sat up in the bed, and looked right at him. "Now listen here, of course you're in pain, you have some broken bones and some torn ligaments. You will have to have some surgeries, yeah, which will be painful, but other than that and relaxing for a bit, you'll be fine!"

"How do you know?" He asked.

"A nurse told me," I explained, "And she swore!" Right?

"I just," He sighed.

"I'm not listening to it," I said, jumping off the bed. I grabbed my coat. "You are not giving up! I'll see you tomorrow."

Before he could respond, I left the room, and stormed towards my car. I got in, and started up the car. When I got to the ice cream parlor, things were weird and different. Sam took Mason's shift today, and we hardly talked. I tried to make some sort of conversation with him, but every time it just fell flat. I didn't want to think of what it would be like if Mason wasn't there. I defiantly wouldn't smile like I did every day. I would miss the small things we did together.

What was I thinking?

Mason wasn't dead, and he wasn't going to die. He got that idea in my head, and it kept nagging at me. I called Kristi on my break, and told her about it. "Do you think he'll be alright?" I asked.

"I think it depends on whether or not he's given up," She told me, "If he just gave up, sure he would die, but if there was something to hold on to, then I think he would push through."

Suddenly an idea formed in my head, and I said, "Can you meet me at my house? With a video camera and your laptop?"

"Surely," She laughed, "And even though I'm not there, I can see the wheels turning in your head. Start calling people T!"

I hung up the phone, and ran back into the ice cream parlor. Quickly, I told Sam my plan, and he was so eager about it, he told me he would cover my shift, just to remember to include him. I smiled, and was out of there as fast as possible.



"What are you all doing here?" Mason asked, his eyebrows pulling together. "With all of you here, the nurses will know I'm awake."

"They already know, stupid," Adam commented, "You sneezed, and then blessed yourself, because no one was there to bless you."

Mason gave a small smile, and blushed. "What are you all doing here?" He repeated.

I shifted, and looked around the room. I rounded up almost everyone: Adam, James, a few teachers, Kristi, Ashley, and a few of her friends, Sam, Jordyn and her family, Dad, Lexie, and the couch who was here when he heard about Mason. That was all I could get the nurses to let in.

"We came to show you something Mace," James said, who hardly ever talked.

My Dad pulled out the small TV that was on one of those rolling carts. He placed it at the end of Mason's bed, and we all crowded around it, but made sure Mason could still see. "We need to show you something," I whispered, "This is what you would miss if you died."

Mason narrowed his eyes at me, so I lowered my eyes, and popped the tape into the VCR. The screen was fuzzy for a moment, and then I appeared on the screen. I blushed, when I saw myself.

"Hey Mace," The girl on the screen said, "These are the things and people you'll miss if you go. I hope I'm one of them on your list, but these are some other people!"

Adam was next on the screen, passing a football. "Hey Adam," I said, from behind the camera, "What would happen if Mason was gone?"

"He's gone?" Adam said, his expression filled with horror, "Like dead? Oh God, oh God. I didn't think he was going to go, oh God. Taylor, please get the camera away from me. How could you tape such a hurtful moment? What kind of person are you?"

"Adam," My voice whispered, "He's not dead yet, I said if."

"Oh," He sighed, "Well the world would suck. Got that Mace?"

Next on the screen was the football couch. "Hey Mason," He said, "Just wondering why your giving up when the game hasn't even started yet."

Following him was Kristi, who smiled at him. "Hey Mason," She said sweetly, and then her expression turned hard, "You break my best friend's heart, I'll break your face."

My voice behind the camera laughed nervously, and then I turned the camera back on me, and said, "She's not serious."

"Oh yes I am!" Kristi said, "Mason I will hurt..."

The camera was switched quickly to James, who was blushing. "Hey, I'm not sure what to say," He started, "But I don't want to make a fool of myself like Adam did..."

"I didn't make a fool of myself," Adam said, who was leaning across the lunch table to get in the camera, "Taylor, can I change my interview? I was the only one who didn't know he wasn't dead yet, that's not fair!"

"Adam hush," I commanded, "Its James' turn."

"Well, I mean Mason," James said, "You've been my best friend since we were kiddies, and not once have I seen you give up. I'm just not sure why you would start now."

Jordyn and her family were next. "Mason, you're my closest cousin," She started, but her little sister, Maya, wanted to get in, so all you could hear was, "CAN I HAVE A TURN? IS IT MY TURN NOW?" and when she heard me say if Mason was dead, she burst into tears, and started knocking things over. "Well, there's your answer," Jordyn whispered.

Next was Lexie, she was in our room, cleaning up. "Lex, what would you do if Mason was dead?" I asked.

"Probably never get free ice cream again," She told me, and then she thought about it, "And I'd probably have more nightmares!"

The next clip was Mason's homeroom. "HEY MASON!" A girl said obnoxiously into the camera. "Mason, my main dog," A guy said. "Don't go man, don't go," Another kid said, "Don't go."

Sam came on next.

"Hey Mason," Sam said, "Even though I never really worked with you, I want you to know that Jordyn spoke highly of you, and the way you took care of the packed ice cream parlor, was amazing. I know you have many opportunities, so don't let this one go. Hold tight man, hold tight!"

"Well spoken," I said from behind the camera.

Sam blushed, and said, "You want Jimmies with your ice cream T?"

Ashley came on the screen. She was sitting at a lunch table outside, with her few friends behind her. "Mason," She whispered, "I want you to know that when you told me I was pretty, it made my day. Ever since I found out I had cancer, I have been a mess, and for a cute senior tell me I looked pretty, meant the world to me. I know I've hardly known you, but I want you to stay alive, for me, and for the ones who love you!"

She smiled at the camera. "Is it off?" She asked, still smiling. That earned some laughs from her friends.

Finally, Mr. Slatter appeared on the screen. "Is it on?" He asked, "Taylor is it on?"

"Yes Mr. Slatter," I said calmly.

He smoothed down his hair and said, "Son, I didn't realize how much you meant to me until I realized I might lose you. I've said and done some things that I have regretted, but truthfully I don't think I'd survive without you. You're a strong young man who can hold his battle. I couldn't be more proud of you, even though I don't show it. I'm sorry for everything I have done, and hope you can forgive me. I'm also sorry I freaked out at you the other day. I like this girl, she's a keeper."

Mr. Slatter smiled into the camera, and I zoomed in on his face, and you could see a tear slowly making its way down his cheek. "Stay strong son," He whispered.

Mr. Slatter disappeared, and a few images flickered on the TV. Football fields, the ice cream parlor, the meadow where Mason gave me my Christmas present, with the tree still standing tall. I showed the ice skating rink, and the couples skating around together. Then I showed the graduation stage and decorations that were being set up. Then I showed the firehouse. "Mason," A firefighter said, "You die, you might kill many people who needed your help at this firehouse."

"You don't have to guilt trip him," My voice muttered. The fireman just stared into the camera smiling like he didn't know what was going on.

The camera turned back on me, and I sat there smiling. "Mason of course this is your decision, not ours, but think of all the people who have it worse then you. I promise the pain will go away, and if it doesn't I'll help you feel better. Please don't talk like you're going to die. It crushes me that you would give up like this. I'm probably blushing as I'm watching this, so I'm going to go!"

The screen went fuzzy, and I turned towards Mason who looked like he was going to cry. He didn't though; he just stared right at me. "It's your choice," I whispered, and he nodded his head, because everyone including him knew it was. Nothing would change that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 50 94
Growing up , learning from your mistake , trying to find out why your having weird feelings for a friend and dealing with complicated things life thr...
82.5K 1.3K 13
Gabby Swift was the girl who falls head over heels for a guy and never the right one but she couldn't help but fall straight away, even if she didn't...
1.1K 50 5
❝ we all live and we all die. so fucking what? ❞ It all started with a Diary. Six girls with secrets. A single diary with everyone's secret. No on...
5.1M 166K 43
"They were like three half-naked supermodels with bedhair and matching movie star grins. What did I get myself into...?." Serena Jones an eighteen ye...