Draugr

By harrypanther

Modern/Supernatural AU. Just when everything was going so well for Astrid, she is taken away from it. Refusi... More

One
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Epilogue

Two

931 46 13
By harrypanther

Two.

Their relationship had never looked back from that initial misunderstanding-because in Hiccup, Astrid found what she had been missing. He was easy-going, caring, kind and reasonable, the antithesis of her aggressive, single-minded, non-stop, ambitious personality. They were both stubborn-which added occasional friction-but the fact that they had an instant connection meant they were willing to settle any disagreements reasonably-and without Hiccup getting punched again.

Of course, Astrid being the organised workaholic she was, the relationship did start slowly because she was scared to commit and more scared that she would lower her barriers and allow herself to care...just to have the person she cared for leave her. So Hiccup did much of the heavy lifting in the first few dates, asking her out, organising the venues and ensuring she did actually turn up. But it was on their fourth date that she knew she was falling for him when she agreed to stay-sober, this time-and spent the night in his apartment, watching some old comedy show and snuggling. She found herself able to talk to him as no one else, sharing her desolation when she lost her parents and finding herself alone. For a brief moment, she had questioned the point of her efforts before she had immured herself against everything except her work...until she had met Hiccup. And though he respected her work ethic-because he knew that her work was everything-he began to make sure that she had time away from work, much to the approval of Heather. Astrid began to have fun and become happy and exuberant young woman Heather had first met.

But a major audit interrupted her budding romance and everything came screeching to a halt as she and her team worked tirelessly to ensure every aspect of financial governance was pristine for the auditors' inspection. After four days of missed calls and ignored texts, Hiccup had taken matters into his own hands and he had turned up at the offices of Hofferson Investments. Astrid and Heather had been huddled in her office, triple checking client records and account records when the blonde looked up-to see a familiar messy auburn mop traversing the office outside, nodding to the weary staff who were still working despite it being almost eight o'clock in the evening. Smiling and nodding, he had walked to the office and let himself in through the glass door marked with the discreet nameplate: ASTRID HOFFERSON CEO.

"Hi," he said with a grin. "My name's Hiccup and I was looking for my girlfriend. I think she was kidnapped by some dreadful l monster named Audit...so I came to rescue her."

"Heather-meet my hilarious boyfriend, Hiccup Haddock," Astrid said tiredly. Green eyes widened and the raven-haired girl started.

"As in 'Chief' Stoick Haddock?" she asked, sitting up and eyeing the tall young man.

"Absolutely no relation," Hiccup deadpanned.

"Father," Astrid cut in, looking up into his concerned face. "What're you doing here, babe? Kinda busy..."

"Apart from the fact you've missed three dates and have cut me off without so much as a text telling me to leave you alone forever, I was worried because I guessed-correctly, as it turns out-that you aren't looking after yourself," he told her, opening his rucksack and laying a casserole dish on the desk, followed by plates, a loaf of bread, cutlery, glasses, a bottle of wine and napkins. "So I brought the date to you."

She stared at him in utter shock.

"I-I don't have time," she protested, her stomach growling in defiance of her determination. "Hiccup-the audit is in two days..."

"...and you are already ready, aren't you?" he asked her directly, his emerald eyes reading her face. "You're going over things for the third time-possibly fourth-and doing it at this time, when you're exhausted, will mean you will miss that crucial error instead of picking it up! So you need a break." He lifted the lid off the casserole. "Honeyed pulled pork, apples, potatoes...crusty bread." Heather stared at him and then at the blonde...before closing her book and rising.

"You know, that's the most sense I've heard over the last four hours," she said tiredly. "I'm bushed. See you in the morning." And she left without another word as Hiccup smirked at her.

"You're a terrible influence on me," she protested but he leaned forward and kissed her like a starving man, hands threading her hair until he had to pull back for air.

"And you on me," he murmured. "I know about obsession, Milady-sometimes, when I really get inspiration, I lose all track of time. And I am really hoping if I get as bad as you are now, you will come rescue me?" She rose out of her chair and kissed him again, then served herself a portion.

"You can rely on me, babe," she murmured and took a mouthful, humming in delight. "Thor, that is perfect."

"That's the only flaw in my otherwise-perfect plan," Hiccup noted, serving himself and sitting opposite her. "If I expect food from you, it's be dry bread and water-and even that will be inedible!" She launched a potato at him and he just ducked, then yelped as a carrot hit him in the face. "Oww. Oh-it is so on..." he grinned and lobbed some pork at her, the juices splatting her cheek. She grinned, wiping them off and sucking her finger.

"Mmm. Good. But you're gonna pay for that," she promised him, chewing another mouthful and he smiled.

"Come home with me, Astrid," he murmured. "Let me take care of you. You can come back in the morning when you are refreshed and effective once more." She finished her plate and rose, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him languidly.

"I am never letting you go," she murmured.

oOo

As she had promised, when he dropped out of touch only a month later, she had used her key to his apartment and found him as she had expected: dishevelled, thin and unkempt, obsessing over a magnificent huge sculpture that he was building. The massive piece was intricate, stunning and almost complete when she had walked in, dropping her bag and running to his side.

"Hiccup," she sighed and he had looked up, distracted and distant...until he registered who was there. He scrambled to his feet and walked urgently to her, taking her hands.

"How long has it been?" he murmured, looking around and seeing the almost-finished piece on the plastic and wooden platform, the dried slip and clay strewn on the floor and his tools. The neat, professional shape of Astrid was completely out of place in the chaos but she rested a hand against his cheek, feeling his nascent beard scratchy under her palm.

"Four days, babe," she told him gently, seeing his brow furrow. "Wow, you really do lose yourself sometimes." He gave a self-conscious nod, the lifted his T-shirt and gave a tentative sniff. He groaned.

"Thor, no wonder I've never had a real girlfriend," he murmured.

"Until now," she smirked, rising onto her tiptoes and kissing him gently. "Now come on, Hiccup. You need a shower, something to eat and a rest." She frowned. "And a shave." He shook his head with a smile.

"You don't like my new 'poor artist' look?" he checked, eyes twinkling.

"Not happening," she told him briskly, leading him to the bedroom. "Get cleaned up, babe. I'll fix food."

"So after all my hard work, I'm about to get poisoned?" he checked, earning himself a punch to the shoulder. Toothless looked up, seeing his master finally back and leapt up, barking excitedly. "Hey, bud...yeah, I'm back. Did Mrs Ramirez take you out for walks?" He met Astrid's confused and mildly accusatory look as Toothless whined and licked him excitedly. "Sometimes when I'm busy, I ask the neighbour to take Toothless out for walks and make sure he's fed. Otherwise, he would have eaten my sculpture..."

"Got a girlfriend now to do Toothless-caring duties! Now-get in the shower, sculptor boy!" she ordered him and reached for the phone.

By the time he emerged, damp, clean and shaved, pizza boxes were stacked on the kitchen counter and Astrid had poured two beers, sipping one herself as she watched him smile wearily and perch on a stool next to her. He arched an eyebrow, sipping his beer.

"Pizza?" he asked with a tired smile.

"Didn't want to poison you," she explained, flipping the lid and taking a slice. He peered cynically at the pizza.

"And yet you get Hawaiian. Who has pineapple on pizza?" he asked, exploring the second pizza and finding-as expected-a 'Super Meatfeast Plus'. He snared a piece and bit into the warm pizza, sighing in relief. "Much better..."

"You and your meat," she grinned, licking her fingers, looking coyly from under her eyelashes at him.

"Oh, Milady-you know all this raw sculptor is first and foremost a Viking," he smirked. Licking her fingers seductively, she darted forward and stole a slice of his pizza. "Hey! Don't leave me with the fruit pizza!" he protested. She laughed, her nose wrinkling as she chewed her stolen pizza.

"I could give it to Toothless," she suggested.

"Even he's not so desperate that he'd eat it!" Hiccup said gruffly but leaned in when she kissed him and relaxed with a groan. "Bed, Milady?" She nuzzled against him.

"Got work in the morning," she murmured but he kissed her forehead.

"Maybe you could leave some clothes over here...just in case?" he suggested and then stilled as she lifted her eyes, looking at him calculatingly.

"Are you suggesting what I think you are?" she asked him directly and he smiled at her gently.

"If you think I'm suggesting you stay here more regularly with me because I'm crazy about you, then you're on the money," he teased her.

"I'm always on the money," she smirked. "Hoshot financier, remember?" He kissed her and tasted pineapple.

"Don't I know it," he smiled, leaning close. "My Dad would love you...as the daughter he never had." Her face fell as it always did when she recalled the loss of her parents and his warm fingers gently lifted her chin. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I always mess it up. I didn't mean to remind you...but you should know...and not because I'm trying to get you into bed because I am really tired...that I love you and will always be there for you." She forced a smile onto her face and kissed him gently.

"Okay," she said decidedly. "Bed."

She ended up in one of his T-shirts which was big enough and as he curled against her-because he really was far too exhausted to do anything else-he snuggled his head against her shoulder.

"I love you," he murmured sleepily and then his eyes snapped open, all drowsiness chased away by the sudden realisation he had betrayed his innermost feelings. His head snapped up and he stared into her face, stricken. "Oh Thor...did I say that aloud?" She nodded, biting her lip, eyes searching his face. "Oh Thor...I mean Astrid...I-I'm sorry...I didn't mean to say it...no, that's not right because I did mean it..." His emerald gaze stared into her azure depths and she saw his anxiety. He sat up and took her hands, his weary face suddenly very serious. "Astrid, I know we haven't been going out that long and I know I am probably going to scare you off and you may well not feel the same way about me as I feel about you..." He paused and he looked resigned, making her heart clench. "But whether I say it today or wait for another hundred years, my feelings won't change. You're smart and beautiful and decisive and kind and...and I could never wish for a better person in my life...."

"A hundred years may be waiting too long, babe," she commented wryly, seeing him blush, but his grip tightened slightly on his hands.

"Very serious, Milady," he said softly. "I had this all planned, a perfect place-you know that fountain in the park where Toothless tripped us up and we ended up in each others' arms?" She nodded. "Well...there...but anyway, I want you to know that no matter what, you to me are perfect. And I-I love you."

There was a moment of silence as she watched him sag, fearing she didn't reciprocate his ardently declared feelings. Did she mind? Hiccup was a kind, generous, caring man and every minute with him was like an oasis in her busy life. Did she love him? The fluttering in her chest whenever they kissed and the way she missed him the moment they were apart was answer enough, even after so short a time. She kissed his cheek.

"Ditto," she replied. He kissed her back, his face radiant.

"Good enough," he sighed and snuggled down to sleep once more.

oOo

"So is Hiccup taking you home for Snoggletog?" Heather asked as they sat in the office, two days before the annual winter holiday. Astrid shrugged, double checking the accounts for the end of month figures.

"Hmm? Oh, I guess," she said dismissively, eyes fixed on the screen. Her brow furrowed, eyes flicking down the list of figures once more. "Have you put all the transactions through for the last week, Heather? We're twelve thousand short." The raven-haired girl nodded quickly.

"I'll check the others have finished inputting," she promised. "Sometimes Will and Erika are a little slow...and everyone is super-excited about the holidays. You gave them all a generous bonus! And will you be seeing the great man?" Azure eyes flicked up and Astrid rolled her eyes.

"You mean Stoick?" she checked. "I guess over the holiday. Hiccup is taking us round to his house..." Heather gaped at her.

"Wait-you mean you haven't been there yet? You've been dating nearly five months!" she exclaimed. "Honestly, Ast-do you think he's ashamed of you?"

There was a pause and the blonde scowled, scrolling down the accounts and then logging off.

"No," she said quietly. "I think he's ashamed of himself. He's an artist, not a financier or a investment banker, as his father wanted him to be. I-I think he's worried his father may like me more than him." Green eyes wide, Heather stared.

"But-he's his son..." she said. Astrid sighed and tidied her desk, obsessively making sure her workstation was precisely ordered before she left for the holidays.

"I know," she sighed, "and I sometimes wonder what I'm getting myself in for but I guess, from what Hiccup says, that it's more Hiccup's feeling that he has let his father down than anything on his father's side. From what I can gather, his father loves him." She smiled. "You off to your Godmother's in Berserk?"

"Don't I always?" she said in a resigned voice. "I may see my brother-or not, depending on what he's up to and who he's running with." Astrid quietly hiked up an eyebrow. "He tends to hang with some people...who think laws are optional?" Astrid sighed and walked round, then hugged her friend.

"If you ever need to talk-or anything else-just ask," she assured her friend. "I'm always here for you, Heather. I know it's been tough but maybe he'll get the Snoggletog spirit as well this year."

"Maybe," Heather said as Astrid turned to lift her purse. "Hey-Ast! You forgot your diary!" Spinning on her heel, the blonde instantly grabbed the little book with a grin and tucked it firmly in her bag.

"Thanks, Heather," she smiled. "Not sure what I would do without it. It has all the access codes to the accounts." The raven haired girl nodded and then turned back.

"I need to pay the annual rental for the offices," she said. "Can I sort that to allow you to go get ready for your lover-boy?" Astrid shook her head.

"You're only authorised for the Business Current Account," she said calmly. "It only holds ten-k. I'll make the transfer from the Prime Business Holding Account." She met her friend's eyes. "It's not that I don't trust you, Heather, but the Financial Regulators made it clear that our insurance would treble if I added you as an authorised signatory for all our and our client's monies." She smiled. "I'll pay it before I got out!" Heather smiled.

"Happy Snoggletog!" she said and handed Astrid a small wrapped gift-just as the blonde produced her own present for her friend.

"Ditto," Astrid grinned. "See you next year, Heather. I have a feeling it's gonna be even better than this one!"

oOo

Hiccup was almost twitching with anxiety-the most tense Astrid had ever seen her generally relaxed and easy-going boyfriend-as their taxi pulled up outside the magnificent house that was Stoick Haddock's home. There was clearly some tension between the two men, though it was just as clear to Astrid that he loved his father dearly. But he was looking solemn as they climbed out, got their bags and made sure Toothless was seated by them as Hiccup rang the bell.

There was an awkward pause and Hiccup shuffled his feet. He was dressed more smartly in skinny jeans, long sleeved T-shirt and green sweater and boots, his long winter coat swathing his lean shape. Astrid's cheeks were pink with the cold, her eyes sparkling as she stood in her long winter coat, baby blue hat and mittens, smiling as the door opened.

The man facing them was almost tall as Hiccup but very solid and round in the middle, his blue eyes sparkling and head bald, though he had an outrageously ostentatious long braided blonde moustache. He was dressed in dark pants, shirt and waistcoat combination though he was unusual with a fake left hand and he had a pronounced limp. Astrid frowned but Hiccup grinned.

"Hey, Gobber!" he said cheerfully and walked forward to hug the man.

"Laddie! He's been wearin' a hole in the carpet waitin' for yer," the man said, hugging him back before he turned his curious gaze to the blonde standing silently by. "And this is...?"

"Gobber-this is Astrid Hofferson," Hiccup said, standing back and grinning. "Astrid-this is Gobber, my Dad's oldest friend and assistant..." Astrid offered her hand to Gobber, smiling.

"Pleasure to meet you," she said with a grin as Gobber beckoned her in and closed the door, relieving them of their coats and gloves. "He's in the sitting room, lad." Hiccup nodded and reached out for Astrid's hand, smiling though she could feel the tension in his grip. But when they walked along the polished hardwood floor to the wide sitting room, she saw the huge shape of 'Chief' Stoick Haddock waiting for them. The financial giant was a huge man, close to seven feet tall and broad, his flaming hair grizzling and huge flaming beard familiar from a hundred interviews across all media. What Astrid hadn't expected were the twinkling eyes, the smile-or the Rudolph sweater.

"SON!" Stoick started forward to be met by his son, surging forward to hug him fiercely, before Hiccup gave a groan.

"Dad...need air..." he protested with a grin and then pulled back as the big man turned to the beautiful blonde who was smiling gently at the Haddock men. Hiccup glanced at her and his emerald eyes twinkled as he looked at her. "Dad-this is Astrid..." She offered her hand, feeling unaccountably nervous at meeting the famous Financier before she felt his huge hand close around hers.

"A pleasure to meet you, Astrid," he said, in his broad Scottish brogue. She nodded and smiled back.

"The pleasure is mine, sir," she replied.

"Call me Stoick," he said. "Because it's my name." She smiled at the echo of his son's words, some of her nerves melting away.

"You son has told me a lot about you," she continued, still smiling as Hiccup took her hand, his fingers lacing with hers. "And I'm pretty nervous, to be honest." His eyes inspected her carefully.

"I know about you, Astrid Hofferson," he admitted calmly. "I make it my business to ensure that I know everything about people who associate with my son...because he has been lied to and used before..."

"Way to make me sound needy, Dad," Hiccup grumbled lightly. "There have been a couple of girls who tried to hook up because they hoped to get to you through me..." He paused. "And even one guy tried as well-that was interesting..." He shuddered. "Don't worry, Astrid-I don't swing that way..." Then he shrugged. "But to be honest, I was such a disappointment, none of the girls could last even a few weeks of me before they had to bail..." Astrid stared boldly into the cool grey-green eyes and her hand found his once more.

"Babe-no chance of getting rid of me that easily," she told him firmly. "I came back for you, remember? And you came for me. I am, in fact, rather fond of you."

"Fond?" he asked her teasingly.

"Accustomed?"

"Really?" he continued with a smirk. "Nothing more?"

"Habituated?" she replied, staring up into his emerald eyes.

"Oh, that's a relief," he said. "I was worried I was in love with you and you didn't reciprocate." She beckoned him down and kissed him firmly, arms wound affectionately round his neck.

"Oh, I reciprocate," she told him. "Very, very definitely."

Dinner was held in a magnificent dark green Dining Room where they ate a full traditional yak roast dinner with Gobber, who was batshit crazy but very exuberant and good fun. Stoick's eyes watched the blonde interacting with his son and while he was concerned-because his son was very precious to him-he could see that the blonde was genuinely fond of the young man, the intimacy of their interactions and unspoken shorthand telling him that his son may well have found his soulmate. Stoick and Gobber regaled Astrid with stories of Hiccup's childhood, of how he had been much smaller than the other kids and bullied by his cousin-until the boys had sorted it out between them; of how he excelled at school and how Stoick had hoped he would follow him into the financial sector...but how Hiccup's late mother, Valka, had introduced him to pottery and how the young man had fallen in love with the creative process rather than the pursuit of wealth.

Astrid had smiled, stealing a glance at her dorky boyfriend and understanding how he came to that decision. He was a very different person to her and chaining him to a desk and an accounts ledger would crush something precious in his artistic soul. But when Hiccup and Gobber had collected the plates-which Astrid recognised as Hiccup's work-and went to collect the plum pudding, the financier sat back, rolling the glass of mead in his large hands.

"I can see you care for my son, Astrid," he said thoughtfully. "And I like you. You're smart, determined, streetwise. I think you will protect my son."

"Does he need it?" Astrid asked, watching him closely and trying to divine what the financier was trying to ask. At least he wasn't threatening her or telling her to leave Hiccup alone. Stoick's cool grey-green eyes inspected her face.

"You and I are the same, Astrid," Stoick said thoughtfully, his voice soft. "We are realists. We can see the ambiguities of life. We are suspicious. We are cautious. We expected deception and dishonesty." He paused. "My son, however, is a good man. A good person. And as a good person, he sees the good in others. Don't get me wrong: he isn't stupid. But he is...decent. And he will give others a chance where we...wouldn't."

"I would never..." Ever ever ever hurt him.

"I know, lass," Stoick said gently, a smile lifting his face. "But I won't live forever and I will rest easier if I know you are there, watching over my boy." Astrid smiled as Hiccup walked back in, tilting her head up to lock her eyes with his. He carefully placed the plum pudding on the table then leaned forward to kiss her, her arm winding up round his neck to hold him in place for a long, sensual moment before she released him with a satisfied grin.

"Oh, I can promise that I will," she said calmly.

"You've got a good one there, son," Stoick complimented him, his grin approving. "You can keep her." Astrid's blonde eyebrows raised at the choice of words and bit her lip against her instinctive response because Hiccup sat beside her and wrapped his arm around her stuffed middle, feeling her lean against his warm, relaxed shape.

"Gee, thanks, Dad," he drawled ironically. "So glad you approve of my girlfriend..."

"And Astrid, lass-you can call on me if you have any problems," he promised. Her eyes widened in shock-not that she needed his backing though having an experienced and wise mentor and sounding board would be helpful-more than she had ever hoped when she attended that dull function on her birthday. But now, all that mattered was Hiccup, the goofy sculptor, not the famous father. She nodded.

"Thanks," she said quietly and sighed. "I almost feel embarrassed but may I ask a question?" She read Stoick's suspicious look but she shook her head. "It's nothing detailed, merely an opinion." He nodded. "Before the holidays, I noticed a shortfall in the accounts. It wasn't large-twelve thousand-but we have never been a cent out before. I was hoping that it was just a delay in inputting but my team all swore they had completed their inputs before we closed for the break." She paused and took a slow breath as she considered her next words. "I hand-picked my team and I trust them...but I worry than someone has embezzled the money. Someone has betrayed me."

"So what do you want to do?" Stoick asked thoughtfully.

"Nothing until after the holidays," Astrid said quietly. "I told my deputy, Heather to make enquiries-and I did the same myself. I am hoping that will spook the person enough to get them to return the money and solve the problem."

"And if that doesn't happen?" the financier asked her.

I was really hoping you wouldn't say that and tell me the answer.

"Then I would investigate, find the person responsible and call the cops," she said tonelessly. Stoick met her eyes and nodded approvingly. "Am I doing the right thing, giving them time or should I have acted already?" Stoick paused and stared at his mead.

"A ruthless man would have terminated the person for one transgression, whether deliberate or an innocent error," he said. "My son would give the person a chance. I believe a good person would give the embezzler a chance-and would hopefully never have cause to regret." The man drained his glass with a small smile and she realised she had passed whatever test she had been undertaking. "I would rather my son loved a good person than a ruthless one." A weight lifted from her chest and she pulled her boyfriend close.

"Ditto," she smiled and kissed Hiccup.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168K 5.2K 34
Modern AU. Returning to Berk to visit her family, internationally-renowned soccer star Astrid Hofferson literally runs into old school friend Hiccup...
9.7K 442 9
Modern AU. A man kills a stranger defending himself in a robbery. Another man takes the blame. His price? Give his daughter a home. The idea was ins...
154K 4.1K 19
(EDITED COMPLETELY AS OF 12/2/21) (Y/n) is a young Viking living with her parents and is surrounded constantly by her friends. When the time all com...
938K 29.1K 118
All rights reserved. Your a lonely girl. Your family died along time ago on a forgotten island far away. You was always bullied as a child. Some...