Falling of the Lady

By unknown23

As a woman, Scarlet Li has everything to please her in life, she has led a successful life in her studies, fa... More

Ch 1. Family Matters
Ch 2. Code Triage
Ch 3. Longing for Love Lost
Ch 4. The Realization
Ch 5. Messing with Royalty
Ch 6. Overwhelmed with information
Ch 7. Life and Death Hangs by a Thread
Ch 8. Opened heart and Unspoken Words
Ch 9. Flawless Plan
Ch 10. A Word Spoken Can Never Be Taken Back
Ch 12. Exposed
Ch 13. Rules of the Game
Ch 14. Fukien Capital
Ch 15. Miracles?
Ch 16. A Promise
Ch 17. Get Better
Ch 18. Joy and Sadness
Ch 19. Surprise Gift
Ch 20. Who Are You?
Ch 21. To Become a Maid
Ch 22. For Happiness
Ch 23. To Escape
Ch 24. Maid Training Success
Ch 25. Separated by Law
Ch 26. Was this Destiny?
Ch 27. For My Country
Ch 28. A River Apart, but One with the Heart
Ch 29. Piece of Cake?
Ch 30. Suspicion
Ch 31. Persistence Rules
Ch 32. Fool in Love
Ch 33. A Mission to Accomplish
Ch 34. Lion's Lair

Ch 11. Losing at One's Own Game

30 2 0
By unknown23

Was he mad at her? But who wouldn't be angry when they hear their loved one talk badly behind their back? Scarlet lets out a heavy sigh as she paces around the floor slowly. She was afraid of sitting down or lying back because her back has not healed.

"How can your highness be so careless?" Lingli ridiculed as she prepared the last bit of clothing for tonight.

"Who knew!" Scarlet threw her arms up in the air, "He crept in like an ant, motionless and soundless. He was just like a ghost." Her back bothered her, so she put a hand behind her waist. "Ah."

"My lady, please be careful." Lingli helped her highness walk out of the maids room. They sauntered through the massive green land. Flowers were in bloom, emitting different colors of spring. The lake sparkled and shimmered, as the birds and ducks sips and skids against the calm waters. The willow trees leaned its long green strands of hair, dipping itself into Adam's ale as it basks under the warm sunlight.

Lingli sat her highness down by the pond, "Slowly."

"Ay..." Scarlet bit her bottom lip as her body tensed up, anticipating for the pain to run through her lower back. Did the guards have to be so harsh? She had nothing against them, she didn't burn their house, steal their food or cursed their generation. So why were the force they used each aimed to kill her? Thinking about it just brought more pain.

"Stupid, monstrous guards." She scowls. "If I see them again, they will have a piece of me!" She punches her fist onto the stone table.

Lingli listens to her highness complain as she peeled and orange.

"Hey Lingli." Scarlet puts both her clenched hands under her jaw to support it on the table, "Does your highness usually visit me before my injury?"

Knowing how interested Scarlet was about their past relationship, Lingli smiles and blinks quietly looking at her highness, "His highness rarely visits. His highness only comes once in a blue moon."

Scarlet's jaw dropped, "Doesn't that mean that I'm not favored? I'm still young and not even loved by my own husband?" She sadly weeps, putting on a pretense. "Why do I have such a pitiful life?"

Lingli laughs, "However, your highness would always come to his highness every night so there wasn't a need for his highness to come to our section."

Scarlet pouts, "He was the lazy type. Waiting for food to be cooked to be brought to his mouth. Too despicable. What a rogue!" She bit down on her teeth, "Times have changed and so have I. Let's see who could withstand not seeing the other more. I will surely win." She snorts with confidence.

"Is my lady sure that you wouldn't be able to withstand the temptation?" Lingli tilts her head teasingly.

"Of course! Just watch me."

Lingli couldn't help but burst into laughter from Scarlet's bluff. "Then I think we should leave soon." She stood up which raised her highness's suspicion.

"Why? I'm enjoying the view. I like it here."

Lingli points to the other side of the lake, "But soon, on the other side is someone my lady wouldn't want to see."

Scarlet narrows her eyes, "Impossible. This manor isn't small, and what would he be doing over there?" She stood up as she saw crowds of maid starting to hover behind the magnolia trees. She could feel their hormones at its peak as they giggled and pointed. By the looks of it, they were probably eyeing a handsome guy.

"You shouldn't look, your highness."

"If there is an eye candy right in front of me. It would be stupid not to stare." Scarlet hurried Lingli to take her over to the other side. Her maid smiled,

"Your highness won't regret it?"

"Never." She peaked from corner to corner as she stood behind the maids. When they noticed her, they all grabbed her arms, gushing at God knows what.

"Your highness." They burst into smiles again, letting her stand in the front. 

In front of her was a striking appearance. His eyes pierced whatever he attacked with his sword, concentrating with each movement. The way he handled the weapon was swift and quick. As each petal of magnolia came fluttering down around him, he managed to slice them with the sharp blade and prompt movements. 

Scarlet didn't even blink once as she eyes him admiringly just like how other girls are staring at him. Her heart flittered and danced with the magnolias by his side. Zexian probably didn't even notice her appearance since she looked nothing close to extraordinary. He didn't even spare her a glance because he was so concentrated. The expeditious leaps and strikes he made look so effortless, but she knew better. It was through hard work that he could make it look so easy. 

Unconsciously, her lips curled up and her hand went to her chest where her heart lies. She had to constantly remind herself that he was all Wuyan's. He was not hers. Never hers. "Be still, my beating heart. Please stop torturing me by beating so quickly." Scarlet took in a deep breath and let it out slowly, trying hard to regulate her pulse. 

But she couldn't deny that she would trade all the chests of gold and jewelry just to get a bit of his affection. Only for her and not Wuyan. Sometimes when she was alone, she thought, if she did not look like Wuyan or come from a prominent family, would they ever meet? Would he fall for a peasant like her? There were too many barriers...there's no way that would happen. 

On notice, Minhai jumped in to battle with his highness. He had always admired his highness for his  honorable sword skills, and he swore that one day he would learn everything to beat his master.

All of a sudden, there was a group formed and the crowd of maids cheered on for Zexian to win. Scarlet tightens her lip from rim to rim, narrowing her eyes. What a pity, no one was cheering for Minhai, so she would do it.

"Minhai! Minhai! Minhai!" Scarlet pumps her fist in the air and started to instruct the maids to lay down their bets.

"Isn't that gambling?" Lingli noted, "That is very unladylike, your highness!" She tried to stop her master from pushing it too far.

"Ayy! This is a chance to earn money. In life, I advise you, when there is money making chances, never let it slip away." Scarlet steps one foot on the round granite bench. Everyone nearly betted all their money on Zexian which was bad because even though she cheered for Minhai, it was obvious that Zexian's skills and admirable talent surpassed Minhai above many levels. This was not good. With such a great money making opportunity, there is no chance that she would lose.

"Ayy." Scarlet cried out, "Don't you see how talented Minhai is?" She points out. "His skills are taught by his master so there is no doubt that disciple will win eventually." She persuaded.

""Your highness!" Lingli pulls her sleeves, but Scarlet ignored the girl.

"Us Chinese have a saying: Indigo blue is obtained from the indigo plant, but such color is bluer than itself." She asserted, "I have known your highness for a long time, you have to trust me on this. Even though your highness is skilled, he has taught Minhai everything. With Minhai's intelligence and persistence, he has mastered everything." She pointed at the men, "Look! Minhai's swift movements had dodged the prince's killer moves. Whoa! That takes skills and intense training." She finishes off, "Minhai is who I would consider a true prodigy." 

"Your highness is sure insightful." One of the girls exclaimed and bets her money on Minhai. Soon the crowd trailed along and most of the gold were on Minhai. Scarlet claps her hand to free the dust and smirks. Today she will grow rich! 

On the other hand, Zexian could see from the corner of his eyes that the person his heart has been longing for had come. She stood there with sparkling eyes, staring as though he would disappear in front of her. Even though he couldn't see her well, he had remembered her clearly. Every detail of her from the pits of his heart. From the tips of her long hair to her delicate red lips. Her image reflected on his sword as he strikes with every thundering heart beat.

Hanging onto those words that Scarlet had said the other day, Zexian couldn't feel more bothered than he had before. He was unable to sleep from hearing her have such low esteem for their affection. Did she not have an ounce of trust in their love? The more he thought about it, the angrier he got. His moves went from swift to forceful. He didn't spare a single magnolia petal as it flew to the ground. To master sword art, one cannot allow their heart to falter, but today he has violated his masters teachings. His heart was not as pure as is is flooded with irated thoughts. 

A servant came walking up to Scarlet, attending to her, "His highness, the seventh prince has requested to see you."

Scarlet made a sour face. Seventh prince? What business did she have with him? "Where is he?"

"The pavilion."

Scarlet slept on it. She didn't know if she should leave. Money was pushing in like a storm and the battle was about to end. It would be a pity if she couldn't witness her sweet victory. She could almost feel it upon her lips.

Seeing her highness in deep thought, Lingli whispered, "If my lady has some matters to attend to. I will help take over the bet." She assures.

Scarlet tightens he lips. She wanted to see this guy to make things straight so there wouldn't be anymore misunderstanding, but she also wanted to see Zexian win. Seconds passed into minutes, she finally figured out what she wanted...important matters first. There will always be another day where she will witness Zexian. But if she left trivial matters unsolved it will become a Gordian knot. 

"Help me take care of this." I'm heading to the pavilion and will be right back!" She assures Lingli and rushed towards the Pavilion. 

To no surprise, the almighty royal prince was sitting there on the granite bench, sipping tea in such a disturbingly calm matter. 

"What do you want?" She crossed her arms. This man was so annoying, he was always appearing in the wrong moment. 

"Oh?" Anjing was amused, "Where is the gracious Wuyan? You don't even bother to greet me now?" He stands up and slyly steps towards her.

Scarlet bit down on her teeth and bowed to him with her hands out in front of her. "Greetings, your highness." She forced it out and turns away.

"I have come here with kindness, but you don't seem to be so welcoming." Anjing smirks.

"Your highness, please don't beat around the bush, it really makes me dizzy."

Anjing got close to her, "You used to call me brother Anjing. I miss those days when we still played together." he whispers in her ear.

"Mad man." Scarlet glared up at him. Her face was so close to him, she could smell the musty scent on his body and feel his warm breath against her face. Their eyes met, but she backed up, looking away.

Anjing swallowed dryly and coughs slightly, "I have come here to warn you that this journey will be a dangerous one so be on the lookout." He informed, "I may be vying for the throne against little brother, but my affection towards you is not one whit less than him. I will not let your uncle put you in danger."

Scarlet glares at him, "Do you know, because of your words, elder sister is angry at me? Because of your unfaithfulness that has her doubting me?" She angrily spat, "Please keep your distance away from me starting this minute. My life and death doesn't concern you." Her relaxed brows were now sewn together. If it wasn't because of this jerk, her back wouldn't be aching. "Even if my corpse is lying out in the cold rain and hail, please walk by and act like you don't know me." She hissed, drawing a clear, distinct line between them. "I don't want to owe you anything!"

While on the other side, at the sudden leave of Scarlet, Zexian became distracted and Minhai took the chance to slash his sword away. Minhai neared his sword to Zexian's neck. But Zexian didn't care, his eyes were glancing at the direction that Scarlet had left, it made her wonder why she rushed out so hurriedly. Was something wrong? 

"Whoa! So charming." The girls clapped. "Her highness is right, Minhai did win!" They widened their eyes and buzzed around Minhai to shower him with praises.

While Lingli was at the round table, she let out a gulp, "Her highness is going to be soo furious now."

Zexian walks up to the maid who was counting the money that Scarlet has owed the servants. "Where is Wuyan?"

"Her highness said she is at the pavilion."

"Do you know the reason?"

Lingli shook her head, so Zexian decided to go find out himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

950K 29.5K 29
He startled me when his hands gripped my hips pulling me into his body, my hands resting on his warm chest. I looked up to find him staring at me, bu...
209 4 14
A girl, in search of why things go so wrong in her life. From tragic events, being moved around the foster system and then finally living alone. She...
282 33 34
"Will you go on a date with me Crystal?" Ash asks. His voice demanding and determined. I roll my eyes and walk away. Ash grabs hold of my wrist and s...
946 17 30
Discover the futuristic story of "harmony" and uncover the mysteries that surround the characters of the story. It's a unique and poetic story infuse...