Ch 12. Exposed

"You're so relentless." Seventh prince uttered. "I have shown no kindness in punishing Lanzhi for making you hurt. So you shouldn't hold any grudges towards me."

Scarlet laughs, "I'm like this because of you. You caused this misunderstanding between us sisters. You shouldn't have blamed my sister. If I was jealous, I would be much worse."

"You're still helping her after everything she's done to you? My sweet Wuyan, you are too kind." His index finger stroked the strand of hair that fell on her face. But she swapped his finger away like it was an annoying mosquito. 

"Don't touch me." She didn't spare him a look. He was not worthy of her energy.

"Your words are harsh, but your heart is soft." A smirk was plastered across his face, "You asked the empress dowager for a divorce with my brother. You probably wanted us to get back together." He smiles sniffing her soft, floral scent. "How dare that witch, scar your face?" He ran the back of his finger against her soft skin.

"You bastard!" She turns around, raising an arm to slap him, but her back wouldn't allow it. Before her palms could reach his face to give him a good blow, she pulled back from the pain. When she was about to fall backwards, Anjing caught her in time, with his arms around her waist. He pulled her close to his chest.

Just when Zexian arrived, he saw what he shouldn't. Zexian clenched his fist and deliberately stormed up to them. "Let go of my wife!" He pushed his brother away, embracing Scarlet in his muscular arms, claiming what is his.

"Brother, you're never one to lose your temper." Anjing smirks, "You have to thank me for taking good care of Wuyan."

Zexian frowns, "You better know your position as the prince and go back to your manor. If I see you around her, then don't call me out for being cruel and not regarding our kin."

Scarlet had never seen Zexian so serious before. His intonation was flat, full of warning ahead and all intention to harm. It scared her seeing him like this. Was he jealous?

Anjing sniggers, "Brother, are you afraid you can't keep Wuyan's heart?" Those few, but correct words strikes a pain right into the bulls eye of Zexian's heart. 

Anjing places a hand on his brother's should reassuringly, "Don't worry, I will rightfully get back what's mine. Both beauty and power." With that, he smiles one last time at the both of them before he left.

Leaving only the two of them, Scarlet felt that she had done soo many wrong things towards Zexian. He must be really hurt. With his back facing towards her, she felt a pang in her chest,

"Zexian...believe in me." It was like her lips had a mind of its own. "There's nothing between me and seventh prince."She tugged at his sleeves like a lost puppy.

Time after time, Zexian had reminded himself to believe in her. The three of them had always been close when they were children and he knew too well his older brothers feelings for Wuyan. But he never cared for it because he thought that he had won the battle in winning her heart wholly. Was he wrong? Did she really belong to him? Zexian turns to face her, looking for sincerity within her galaxy. Those beautiful eyes that he thought were only meant for him, and that soul that he thought had only belonged to him.

Without doubting her, Zexian spoke up, "I believe in you." He pulls her into a hug, reassuring more to himself than to her. He chose to believe in her, "I want you to know that, in this life, you will be my one and only wife. There will be no other." Zexian combs through her silky hair with his fingers.

Scarlet didn't dare to wrap her arms around him, reciprocating his feelings. Because she knew that who he was fighting for was not her. She was just a temporary replacement, hidden in the dark. Don't be muddleheaded into thinking he loves you, Scarlet, she reminded herself. The deeper she falls for him, the deeper it would pain her to leave his side. And if when day comes, it would be hard for her to leave. 

A divorce is always the best option even when its causing so much confusion among the people. 

"If you are afraid, I will be by your side." Zexian quietly whispers against her ear, "When in danger, I will protect you with my life, and if the palace doesn't suit you... I am willing to give up the throne to make our future better." He pulls out of the embrace to take a careful look at her. His thumb gently grazing against her wound on her cheek. "I will be by your side for the rest of your life." Believe in me when I say I will always love and stay by your side.

Scarlet couldn't help but feel her heart flutter with an ambiguous pain following it. Her round eyes gaze up at his perfectly shaped almond shapes ones. How she wished he could be all hers also...seeing him always tempted her. Tempted her to hold his hand, to hug him, to kiss him, to cuddle and do all those romantic things with him.

She starts to repeatedly apologize to Wuyan in her head for having such inappropriate thoughts, but for this second only. Just for this second, she wanted to rightfully act as his wife.

 Scarlet went on her toes and put the palm of her hand behind his head. She smashed her lips against his. And it was then that she knew what sparks flew meant. Her drumming heart was on cloud nine. This was much better than eating any desserts. His lips were soft as is moved against hers. If only she could tell him how she really felt. 

Zexian was surprised by her sudden action, but he liked it. He put his hands on her small waist and pulled her closer to him, wanting more of her. Gently he kissed her until their lips had locked passionately, and their kisses deepened, evoking a shock of sensation through his veins that he never knew he was capable of feeling. Of all the countless blind dates his grandmother had him go on, no one could compare to his wife, Shan Wuyan.