The Apothecary's Daughter

Von tea-and-a-book

Emmeline Somers is the only daughter of the only apothecary in Abbotshire, England. After her father is left... Mehr

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue

Chapter 19

8.4K 412 17
Von tea-and-a-book

Gideon looked out the window at the two girls in the garden for quite sometime. The vision reminded him of a time long ago when Eleanor would spend time with Emmeline in the garden. The pair would spend hours out there, he often having to come out and call them in for supper, Gideon remembered with a chuckle. Some summer evenings they would bring their food out and have a proper picnic. Then they would stay out until the sun went down and looked at the heavens together. Emmeline, the ever curious child, would pepper them with questions about the constellations. Soon after she and Eleanor both would fall asleep as Gideon told them stories of Cassiopeia and Orion.

~

"This is Salvia officinalis, or as most people call it, sage. It can be used when you're tummy is not feeling well. Want to smell it?" Emmeline asks. "Something magic happens when you do." Matilda nods. Emmeline plucks a leaf and hands it to Matilda.

"I feel cold now!" Matilda says, laughing.

"It's silly right? Not only does it make you feel good, it gives you a tingly sensation. It's so good for you. I make it into tea and oils to give to people when they have an upset stomach. You know what my favorite flower is?" Emmeline asks, guiding Matilda down the pathway. 

"What?" 

"Lavender. It makes teas and oils that help people. My favorite part though is making bouquets with it to put under my pillow at night. Would you like to make some for tonight? I'm sure my papa would love one as well." 

"Yes!" Matilda says. Emmeline shows her how to properly pick the flower and they fill the basket to the brim. 

"I believe we have enough lavender to make bouquets for the entire town." Emmeline says with a laugh, "Are you ready for luncheon?" Emmeline rises from her spot. 

"What are we having?" 

"Fresh bread and some jam. Is that alright?" Emmeline asks, helping the young girl up.

"Sounds tasty." The pair walks back into the house, carrying their basket of aromatic flowers. 

"We shall make the bouquets after luncheon." Emmeline says decidedly as she places the basket on the counter in her office. "Then you shall rest a bit before dinner."

"Yes Miss. Emmy." They go up to the living quarters and Emmeline sets about making their luncheon, slicing large pieces of fresh brown bread and putting the kettle on for tea. Matilda waits patiently at the kitchen table, watching as Emmeline bustles about, her eyes beginning to gloss over.

"Here you are Matty." Emmeline says gently, giving her a plate,"try to eat as much as you can then I will help you get ready to rest."

"But what about the bouquets?" Matilda whines, "I promised father I would help you all day."

"Do not worry about that. You helped me collect the lavender which is the hardest part. I can finish the rest. Besides, you can still help after you're done. I always have things that need to get done around here and you are a perfect assistant."  Emmeline cuts a piece of bread for herself and adds a little jam and sits down beside Matilda. 

"O-okay." Matilda says with a yawn. The pair finishes their lunch and Emmeline guides Matilda into their shared chamber. "Is this where you sleep Miss. Emmy?"

"Yes Matilda, and it's where you'll be sleeping for the next few nights." 

"Are you going to sleep in here too?" Matilda asks, her voice rising with excitement.

"Yes, tonight when you go to bed I'll be joining you a little while after. Now get some rest. We still have a lot to do this afternoon." She helps Matilda onto the bed and lays a blanket over her. "I will be back later when it is time for your next adventure." Emmeline places a ginger kiss on Matilda's forehead and quietly leaves the chamber.

Back in the kitchen she quickly clears their luncheon and prepares a light meal for Gideon. She takes the tray to his room, knocking lightly on the door. She is unsurprised to see that he too had settled down for his afternoon nap. She places the tray on his bedside table and returns to her office. 

~

Emmeline becomes lost herself in her work. She made several bouquets for the night. With the leftover lavender she hung to dry for lavender oil and tea. She would finish making the rest after Matilda went to sleep. The process was tedious and Emmeline dared not begin until she was sure Matilda was settled. Instead she unlocked the front door to the shop and made a few simple remedies. The foot traffic was minimal as she worked. A few people stopped by to restock on headache relief and with questions about certain ailments. She locked the door around 5 and went back to her living quarters to wake Matilda.

~

"What are we having for dinner?" The young girl asked sweetly as Emmeline bustled about the kitchen. 

"Broth and bread, just like Papa." Emmeline said stoutly, putting the large pot over the fire. 

"Would you mind waking him for me? I'm worried if I leave the kitchen the kettle will boil over."

"Is he in there?" Matilda asks, point to the doorway next to her chamber. 

"Yes, now go tap him on the shoulder and tell him he needs to prepare to eat. Tell him not to move until I come in. You may sit with him if you'd like or come back and help me. I usually eat my supper with him when I can but I can make an exception tonight if you wish to eat out here."

"Okay Miss. Emmy." Matilda says, knocking gently on Gideon's door. She walks in hesitantly, taking in the look of the room, and walks to his bedtime. "Mr. Somers," Matilda whispers, "it is almost dinner time. Miss. Emmy sent me here to wake you up." She taps lightly on his shoulder. He does not wake. "She says you are not to move until she gets here." Matilda begins to panic when Gideon does not wake. She taps his shoulder harder, nearly hitting him. "Mr. Somers, Miss. Emmeline told me to tell you you must wake up!" The young voice shouts. Gideon wakes with a start as Emmeline enters the room.

"My god little one you have quite an arm, are you sure you're not a working girl?" Gideon asks with a laugh. 

"Papa, it is not right to scare her like that." Emmeline says, putting a reassuring arm around Matilda's shoulder "You and I both know you're the lightest sleeper on this side of the channel. Now come, let us have some dinner. If I am feeling generous I will read to you before you go to sleep." She says, handing him a bowl. "Matilda would you like to eat in here or in the kitchen?"

"In the kitchen please Miss. Emmy."

"Of course, your bowl is out there. I will be out in a moment." Matilda nods and runs out of the room. "Papa, I told you no to scare her!" Emmeline scolds.

"I did nothing of the sort. I was trying to make her laugh."

"You must apologize to her. Now I must get her settled before bed. I will be back to read to you in a bit. If you need anything just shout."

"Yes ma'am." Gideon replies. Emmeline leaves the room and returns to Matilda.

"I am sorry about Papa Matilda. He was just trying to be funny. I assure you he won't scare you again. Would you like to give him his bouquet before bed?"

"Yes Miss. Emmeline. Will you read to me before bed too? My father always does until I fall asleep."

"Of course, now eat your soup. It is nearly time for bed." Emmeline kisses the top of her head and goes into her chamber to find Matilda's nightclothes. She lays them on the bed and finds a suitable book to read to the young girl before bed.

"Are you ready to give him the bouquet?" Emmeline asks as she emerges.

"Yes Miss. Emmy." Matilda replies, wiping her mouth on her sleeve.

"Then come along now. Mr. Somers tends to fall asleep after he eats." They walk back into his chamber.

"Papa, Matilda has made you something." Emmeline says, nudging the young girl forward.

"Here," Matilda says, sticking the bouquet out in front of him, "it's to help you sleep better."

"Ah, a lovely lavender bouquet. Thank you Matilda. You know Miss. Emmy and I used to make these together?"

"Really?"

"We used to make them every night in the summers with her Mama. They smell divine don't they?" He asks, holding the bouquet out to Matilda. She nods. "If I recall correctly there was one night when the fairies came and weaved the lavender right into Miss. Emmy's hair, isn't that right?" He asks, looking over Matilda's shoulder at Emmeline.

"They did, it was marvelous. I woke up smelling like lavender for the rest of the day. Papa, Matilda, I have an idea. You both wish to hear a story before bed. Why don't you share the story of the fairies? I'm out of stories tonight and I'm sure Matilda would love to hear it." Emmeline says.

"That's a grand idea. Would you like to hear the story?" Gideon asks. Matilda nods eagerly. "Well then have a seat in that chair there and I shall tell it to you."

So Gideon told Matilda the story of the fairies and their adventures with Emmeline. Soon Matilda's eyes began to close and Gideon's voice became even softer before he too fell asleep. Emmeline carried Matilda back to their chamber and took some lavender from one of the bouquets and weaved it through Matilda's hair. She looked down at the young girl at peace in her sleep and smiled to herself. She questioned why she was so nervous about having the girl here. She now knew everything would be alright.

~
Hey guys!!! I'm so sorry for updating so late! I started back at university a few weeks ago and things have been crazy. I'll try to update every few weeks!

Thanks for reading I can't believe it hit 1K! I'm really glad y'all are enjoying reading Emmeline's story as much as I enjoy writing it!

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

A Simple Deception Von Laura

Historische Romane

475K 47.1K 42
At three and twenty, Lady Susanna Beresford is at dire risk of being considered an old maid, though she is determined that nothing but the deepest lo...
426K 25.5K 26
It was the time of Prince Regent's rule on England when in the relatively small village of Bedfordshire, an impoverished companion-the daughter of an...
476K 22.1K 13
( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a simple, plain, and most ordinary girl, so...
Emily Von Tori

Historische Romane

261K 13.6K 25
*Book 2 in the Regency Series- can be read as a standalone.* Nathaniel Whitlock, Duke of Somerhall is used to debutantes who want him for nothing mo...