Xuelei, Tears of Blood

By Ghost_Lord

Seven young boys, trained to be assassins, cold blooded contract killers. They owe their lives, their very ex... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Twin Bronze Dragon Teahouse
Chapter 2 - Blood Brothers
Chapter 3 - Assignments
Chapter 4 - The Tian Mansion
Chapter 5 - Mission Complete
Chapter 6 - Hideaway
Chapter 7 - MeiHua Part 1
Chapter 8 - MeiHua Part 2
Chapter 9 - Crush
Chapter 10 - Home
Chapter 11 - Group Mission
Chapter 12 - Kidnapped
Chapter 13 - Complications
Chapter 14 - Double-Crossed
Chapter 15 - Captivity
Chapter 16 - Plans
Chapter 17 - Rescue
Chapter 18 - Returning the Minister's Daughter
Chapter 19 - Report
Chapter 20 - Letters
Chapter 21 - Replies
Chapter 22 - Apprehension
Chapter 24 - Lady Ching
Chapter 25 - The Broken Jade
Chapter 26 - Trouble
Chapter 27 - Ambush
Chapter 28 - Too Late
Chapter 29 - A Second Chance
Chapter 30 - Son
Chapter 31 - Recovery
Chapter 32 - Return
Chapter 33 - Test
Chapter 34 - Growing-Up
Chapter 35 - Ghost
Chapter 36 - The Swordman's Dance
Chapter 37 - Cruel Fate
Chapter 38 - Defeat
Chapter 39 - Mind Block
Chapter 40 - Finding a cure
Chapter 41 - Concoctions
Chapter 42 - Confrontation Part 1
Chapter 43 - Confrontation Part 2
Chapter 44 - Mercy
Chapter 45 - Atonement
Chapter 46 - The Flying Sword
Chapter 47 - Retribution
Chapter 48 - The Storeyteller's New Legend
Chapter 49 - Trivia

Chapter 23 - Lay Manor

2.5K 231 50
By Ghost_Lord

When Jin and Xuelei reached the main gates of the Lay manor, they stopped. The pair of uniformed guards at the gates snapped smartly to attention. A lone guard came forward to inquire their business.

Jin dismounted. "Sir, please tell Miss Lay Ting Ting that her friend XueHua has arrived."

The guard glanced at Jin and Xuelei who was still on his horse, gave a smart salute and told them to wait. He disappeared through the doors.

"Xuehua! Xuehua! You're here! I've missed you!" Ting Ting came running out. She was dressed in bright yellow chiffon and gauze. Blue trimmings gave detail to her lovely rich outfit. The bright colours suited her sunny and bubbly personality. She was followed by the guard and her two elder brothers.

Xuelei smiled. He had dismounted and stood next to Jin. Jin gave a fist palm salute to their hosts.

Ting Ting rushed past Jin to hug Xuelei, making Jin laugh merrily. Her brothers shook their heads at their sister's unladylike behaviour and returned Jin's proper greeting with salutes of their own.

"Please, forgive our sister's discourtesy. She is too excited to see her friend. I am Lay Ting Hua and this is my brother Lay Ting Kai. We are honoured to meet you."

"Thank you, I am Jin and this is my sister XueHua."

The younger man stepped forward, "Welcome. Please, come in." His eyes were on Xuelei. What a pretty girl. She looked so gentle and delicate. Ting Kai smiled in welcome, captivated by this beauty.

"Thank you." Jin smiled and turned to Xuelei.

"Come, sister."

Ting Ting had captured Xuelei's arm and held him possessively. He winced.

"Oh! What's wrong? Your arm! It's not healed yet, I'm sorry!"

Xuelei smiled reassuringly at Ting Ting but Jin went to his 'sister' looking worried. "Please, if we could go in. My sister needs to rest after travelling, she still hasn't fully recovered from her ordeal yet."

"I'm fine, Jin," Xuelei said in a soft melodic voice.

Sigh. Even her voice was beautiful, Lay Ting Kai's heart beat faster in his chest and a dreamy smile appeared on his lips.

"Ting Ting! Let her go, you're hurting her!" Ting Kai hissed at his sister. "I apologise on my sister's behalf. We usually treat our guests better than this," he glared at his sister as he took the reins of both horses and ushered them in.

Lay Ting Hua, being the eldest smiled apologetically and quickly took over. "Please, follow me." He led the way in.

Jin took his sister's hand and guided her into the Lay mansion. Ting Ting followed, eyes cast down by her brother's reprimand.

"It's okay Ting Ting, we can talk later." Xuelei's soft voice pierced through her gloom cheering her up. She was almost back to her bubbly self when they reach the main hall.

Minister Lay was not at home but the guests were greeted by the Lady of the house. She was dressed in an elegant green gown. It was heavily embroidered with flower patterns. Her thick greying hair was also adorned with glittering beaded pins, they swung gently with her every movement. It was clear where Ting Ting got her looks from.

Lady Lay smiled when the group entered and bowed to her in greeting.

"Mother, may I present Jin and XueHua from the Assassin's Sect," Ting Ting announced.

Ting Hua and Ting Kai's hands immediately grasped the hilts of their swords. Assassin's Sect! They had not been aware that the rescuers were from the foul group of outcasts. No one invited members of the Assassin's Sect into their home or welcomed them anywhere.

Lady Lay raised her voice, there was steel in it when she reprimanded her sons. "Remember your manners! They are invited guests and they saved your sister. They mean us no harm."

She turned back to the assassins.

"Welcome, honoured guests." Lady Lay stood up and approached Xuelei. She clasped his hands gently and gave him a watery smile. "Thank you for saving my precious daughter. I thought I had lost her."

He bowed, "My pleasure, Lady."

Lady Lay turned to Jin, "And you too, Jin. Your help along with the others made it possible. I am forever in your debt. All the riches and jewels cannot compare to the lives of my children."

"You are welcome, Lady."

"Please sit. I apologise for my husband's absence. He had to attend to some official business and will be out of town for a few days."

She signalled to waiting maids to serve tea and snacks. They curtseyed in unison before serving the prepared treats. Ting Ting chose a seat near Xuelei. Her brothers sat opposite them. The best oolong tea in the house was brought out and served. Its unmistakable bitter sweet aroma filling the air as the maids poured the hot fragrant tea into fine porcelain teacups.

The Lady of the house picked up her teacup, inviting her guests to do the same before sipping the light yellow greenish tinged tea. The hot bitter tea did much to warm the two travellers. It's sweet and full after taste a real pleasure to the taste buds.

"Compliments, Lady. This is one of the finest floral oolong teas I've ever tasted. Where did you get such a rare brew?"

Lady Lay smiled in pleasure at the compliment. "Young Master Jin has good taste. It was a gift to me through my husband. Everyone knows how I adore good tea."

Ting Ting leaned over to Xuelei not taking her eyes off Jin. She gave a small sigh of adoration. "Your brother is so handsome and knowledgably. Was he the one that night who broke us out?"

Xuelei nodded, his dark eyes sparkling with mirth. Ting Ting turned back dreamy eyes to the handsome Jin. His long thick black hair was neatly tied in a topknot with coloured cloth, warrior style. His dimples flashed often with his easy smile, his eyes twinkling merrily as he laughed at something Lady Lay said. The way he moved his tall lean frame gracefully, confidently, suggested hours of training.

The corner of Xuelei's mouth turned up. He supposed Jin was good-looking. He had seen this many times, girls falling for Jin's good looks and charm. Jin's sweet tongue and charismatic personality made him very lovable. He had made many friends that way and many enemies too. Poor Ting Ting, she would have to get in line if she wanted Jin's attention, a very long line.

The small talk continued for some time. The hosts questioned Jin and Xuelei for more details of Ting Ting's rescue. They wanted to know first-hand of what actually happened. Whilst Ting Ting's attention was on Jin, both her brothers couldn't take their eyes off Xuelei. They had come to terms that these two attractive people were not threats to them.

XueHua was quiet and gentle. Although she did not contribute much to the conversation, her intelligent eyes followed the various topics covered. They could tell Jin and Xuehua were really very close. A tilt of her head to a question and Jin would know exactly what she meant.

They couldn't imagine how this beautiful young girl (younger than their sister) could have done all those things that Ting Ting had told them. Their sister must have exaggerated.

"I am so happy that Ting Ting invited you here. I feel grateful to have met you both and be able to get a first-hand recounting of what happened. Ting Ting was very emotional, so her view was somewhat warped. Captain Shang only knew what happened until he was captured. He was locked up in a different cell and couldn't have known what was happening."

"Mother, maybe we should let our guests rest before dinner."

"Yes, of course." She called a maid. "Please show Master Jin and Lady Xuehua to their rooms."

Lay Ting Hua quickly got up. "It's okay. I will show them to the guest rooms."

Lady Lay quickly hid a smile at her eldest's antics. Ting Hua was smitten. He should show more restraint in his obvious interest in the girl, he was the young master of the house. After all, they had just met.

"She is my friend. I will show her." Ting Ting got up too.

Ting Hua grinned. "Fine. You show XueHua to her room. I will show Jin to his room."

Ting Kai cackled. "While you two are discussing the matter, I will lead our honoured guests to rest."

Jin laughed out loud and bowed to Lady Lay. "Lady, no one can fault the Lay family's exemplary hospitality. The young Masters and Miss has so graciously showed such a warm welcome and bestowed upon us their friendship."

The Lady smiled. "They are excited and curious to meet Ting Ting's friends. We had heard so much of XueHua before you came." Then she became serious. "Thank you for coming. I know you have not fully recovered but you made the trip to put a mother's heart at ease."

"Tomorrow my good friend Lady Ching will be here to meet you. She is attending to some business in the next town. She is anxious to meet the person who saved my Ting Ting."

Xuelei bowed, suddenly apprehensive again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 371 9
The daredevils, trained to kill the evil creatures of the night-- yes the Vampires! Lan Wangji a Slayer goes in search of his brother but along come...
301K 29.1K 82
Her memory was taken. Her skills were not. Her very presence is a threat to everything he has ever cared for. They might make a powerful team... ...
3.8K 145 54
A dragon. A girl. A deal sealed in blood. Lightning flickered over the dragon's onyx scales. "You will have to walk through fire and death. You will...
2.8K 192 49
Money is made over piles of corpses. It always has been and it always will be. This is a world full of never ending wars. 15 years ago, The Great War...