The Duchess - Gruvia

By BonneyQ

Juvia is eighteen when she is told about her marriage to the Duke of Winter, a man she never met but must mar... More

Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Chapter 10

1K 52 3
By BonneyQ

Juvia Lockser always had a hard time to have friends; so much, that her only true friend was her personal guard, Gajeel Redfox –who was a brute and rude man –, so when she found herself around other girls, the Duchess always felt awkward.

But somehow, it was fading away.

Her husband had introduced Juvia to Natsu Dragneel's wife, Lucy right after when they got married, and the woman was nice enough, it was Juvia who froze. It wasn't really her fault, actually. Back at her March, while growing up, she never had much contact with girls her age; the little blunette was always around Marge and much older women, learning how to sew and cook. To tell the truth, cooking was the only activity the blue haired woman liked doing, because she was good at it. Back in her old house, the cook always let her into the kitchen, but at Avalanche Castle, she was a newcomer.

Lucy was always around when Juvia was not exploring the castle. She was blonde with big brown eyes and a kind face, making her beautiful. Honestly, one of the most beautiful women Juvia knew, and she was positively glowing, since she was pregnant.

At the day of the wedding, no one could see it yet, but then, it had been a month and a half since the wedding and the woman was starting to show, much to Natsu's pride. It was nice to see him taking care of her. But when Lucy went to visit her father, Natsu didn't like to stay behind. The blonde had to explain to him that she was just going to spend a couple of weeks there and be home in less than a month; she wanted to see her father before she was too big and sore to walk around. Grumpily, the pink haired man agreed and asked Gray to have a couple of his men to go with her, since he couldn't go himself, he was needed in a food delivery for a village that was difficult to go and would be out for almost as long as Lucy would.

The Duke said 'yes, of course' and Natsu got a little less troubled. Their farewell was sweet to see: him kneeling in front of her slightly distended stomach whispering his good-byes to his child, while Lucy blushed and petted his hair, right before the man rose, kissed her soundly on the lips and then enter the chariot, going to the Duchy of Spring.

Juvia's own relationship with Gray was getting better: they ate together every day, even when his day was busy – which she thought it was sweet – and he helped in her riding lessons three times. The Duke thought it was better if she practiced a little inside the confine of Avalanche Castle, instead of just trusting Jose's man, who barely taught her how to get on a horse.

She named her horse Honey and Gray had laughed at it – both were in the stables one day, brushing their horses hair, both in their most normal clothes while tending to Black-Rust and Honey –, telling her that they were not very authentic when naming their pets. They laughed about it for a while.

The sleeping arrangements were still the same, though. He slept on the couch and she slept on the big cold bed.

One day, when she was sure the Duke wouldn't return to their room, she lied down on it. The blunette thought it was nice enough but not as nice as sleeping on a bed. Juvia had to change their dynamics concerning their sleeping habits; it was not fair that she took all the niceties for herself.

Juvia decided to talk to him later that week, when she gathered courage. The bed sure was big enough for them to share. Plus, to tell the truth, she felt her heart beat faster for him more and more often.

That morning, while eating breakfast together, Gray asked how her riding classes were going.

"They are fine, Gray-sama." Juvia told him with a smile. "The bad thing is that just turning around that small circle is not cutting for Juvia anymore."

He smirked. "I was thinking that after lunch I could take you to a ride in the forest. It's an easy path and there's a lot of open space for you to train your riding skills. I am a little tired of these walls and I guess that you are too. Wanna go?"

Juvia almost chocked on her toast when she heard his proposal. "Really? Can we get out?" Her eyes were so hopeful that the Duke couldn't help but to smile at her.

"Sure. It's been a while since Black-Rust and I went for a ride too. And you can take Honey for a stroll too." He took a sip of his hot chocolate.

"Yes!" The Duchess was a little too excited, but then calmed herself and repeated, like she was taught to do: "Yes, Juvia would like that."

"Good." The black haired man nodded. "Are you going to help in the kitchens again?"

Ever since the blunette found herself with nothing else to do, she asked to help the main cook, Mrs. Hilda, a large boned woman that seemed to have a never fading frown that was a little too rude and not too happy (like the other women) about having the mistress of the house in her kitchen, but let Juvia peel potatoes and was a little too happy to make the Duchess clean the dirty utensils before letting the blunette go to get ready to eat with the Duke.

Juvia wasn't familiar with the treatment at first, but didn't mind much, as long as she didn't have to stay sewing all the time. During the afternoon, she would spend it with Lucy and a new friend; a maid called the Levy – the same one Gajeel scared half to death when they arrived –, she would go to the room both women were and they would talk about books, because the maid loved them; or they could walk around the castle and once in a while it was Juvia's turn to do it on her own (Gajeel didn't have to follow her around anymore, he was training to become a member of Gray's guard, so to return to be on Juvia's duty again).

"Yes. Mrs. Hilda needs her potatoes." Juvia smiled and Gray nodded, he was afraid of the cook, he admitted, and as long as the woman didn't have any complaints, it was fine. She seemed happy to do something around the castle.

"So, after lunch, we get prepared and leave, alright?" The Duchess smiled widely and returned her attention to the food.

#

Juvia was so excited! As she went to the stable to meet her husband, the woman was almost jumping in happiness: she was finally getting out of those walls!

Wearing pants was foreign to her but apparently women who wanted to ride there, it was better than a dress and she couldn't agree more: the white tight pants and the high brown boots were strange for her to wear – Marge always told her that she had too wide hips. And even though her dark blue coat was warm enough and covered her too big breasts and reached under her knees. She wore a hat too, with a butterfly pin on it.

She wondered if her husband would like her looks. The young woman was becoming vain about her looks: she wandered if Gray liked her appearance.

"Hi, Gray-sama." The Duchess greeted her husband, who looked up from his black horse. He was wearing a thick coat as well, and for a man what to wear for a ride wasn't much different from day to day clothes, at least in Juvia's perspective.

"Hey." He smiled at her. "Honey is ready for you." He nodded towards the stable boy, who was bringing the yellow horse for her. Juvia thanked him and caressed her pet, whispering sweet words. "I... I haven't seen you in those before."

Juvia frowned and then looked down to her pants, blushing. "Oh. These are better for riding."

"Yeah." He cleared his throat, and then stepped closer to her, offering a hand. "Can we?"

The Duchess smiled and took his hand as he helped her up to her horse. "Yes, we can."

After both were settled, Juvia looked around to see their guard and when found none, asked her husband about it. The Duke rolled his eyes and said: "We're just going to go until the forest and return. No need for guards."

When they were out of the Castle's gates, both just let their horses walk in a slow pace as he pointed towards the villages they could see from far away. After a while, when the distance from it was considerable, Gray turned to talk to her, they were in a plateau, about a mile away from the forest, where only the road was brown, everything else was white because of the snow and there weren't many trees on the way.

"Ride."

"Hm?" Juvia asked distractedly.

"I know you want to ride. Just do. Do whatever you want, as long as you don't break your neck doing it, I don't see why don't you just go and ride the way you want to." He pointed towards the forest. "I'll race you there."

"But, but..." Juvia tried to say, but Gray was already yelling.

"One, two, three... go!" And then he induced Black-Rust to trot fast.

Juvia thought for a moment before trying to do the same with Honey, and the horse seemed to be waiting for it, because as soon as Juvia gave her the command, it was on fire! Black-Rust was soon by their side, since the dark horse seemed to not receive guidance to go faster.

The Duchess felt her hat fly away, but couldn't care less about it, all she could feel was the adrenalin as she made Honey trot faster and faster up until they surpassed Gray and his own horse.

Her hair was flowing back, her face was burning with the cold air, Honey was going too fast, Juvia could hear Gray calling for her faintly, but the Duchess felt like she was flying; for the first time in her life, she was completely free, no strings, no leash, just... free.

And she was not returning to a cage, not without a fight.

Once she reached the beginning of the forest, she stopped and a few moments later, Gray arrived. Juvia got down from the horse and soon as Gray arrived, he did it too.

"Are you crazy? I told you not to do anything that could break your ne..." He was interrupted by the woman's arms being thrown around his shoulders and her lips meeting his, a little clumsy, but they met for a few moments; enough to make his own arms grab her hips.

When she stopped the kiss, as abruptly as it began, she threw her head back and laughed, and then returned to stare at his dark, confused eyes.

"That was the best thing that ever happened to Juvia. She doesn't know how you do it, but... you do it. You make her feel and do so many things without even trying to make her do so." She kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

"I... erm... You're welcome, I guess." The Duke said, a little embarrassed. Clearing his throat, he let go of her waist and she unwrapped her arms from his shoulders. "Well, go get Honey. We'll walk a little and then return to the castle, okay?"

"Sure." Juvia was too high in adrenalin that didn't even blush with their contact. That day was being perfect so far, and if it was up to her, it would still be.

#

After half an hour, Gray was showing her a few types of trees and bushed they found on the way, some animals – they even saw a deer from afar – and everything was very interesting for Juvia, but she was there to have fun with her husband, not to learn about the fauna and flora.

Being bold, she leaned and gathered in her gloved hand some snow and made it into a ball as Gray explained something about squirrels and before she could think twice, she threw it and hit him right over his right shoulder.

The Duke stopped on his tracks and then turned around slowly.

"Did you just..." Gray looked confused for a moment. "Did you just throw a snow ball at me?"

"No." Juvia looked up, with a small smile playing on her lips as she tried her best to look innocent. She still held Honey.

"Oh, really?" Gray narrowed his eyes, obviously not buying it. "Because there's only the two of us here. And I am pretty sure that you just did that."

"No idea of what you're talking about." Juvia shrugged, refusing to look to her husband, finding a certain bush very interesting.

"Fine." He turned, looking ahead again, and the Duchess could finally smile widely, but it vanished fast when she saw him let Black-Rust go and lean to the ground.

She knew exactly what he was doing. When Gray turned around, he looked evilly pleased with the funny look of horror in her face.

"Don't do it." She said, a laughing a little, but nervous. He wasn't holding a small snowball.

"You started. It means war." Gray said in a matter-of-fact tone and positioned himself to throw the ball at her. When he threw it, she squealed and hid behind Honey, as the snowball hit the poor horse. Honey just looked towards Gray, and the Duke knew that if it could raise an eyebrow, it would be doing exactly that.

"Don't hide!" Gray leaned again to gather more snow. "Take it like a man!"

"Juvia's a woman!" He heard her giggle as another snowball hit him in the back. If he was standing, that one would've been hit right into his chest.

"Ow!" He complained, although it didn't really hurt. "It doesn't matter! You're hiding behind your horse! That makes you a coward!" He had a snowball in each hand.

"That makes Juvia smart!" He heard her voice from his left side, making him move and throw a ball towards the direction. She was now hidden between the trees and bushes. The trees were thick enough to cover her fully. "Ouch!" He smirked as she complained about getting hit.

"Ha! Gotcha!" Another snowball came and hit him on the shoulder. "Shit!" He threw the other one in the general direction he knew she was probably in, and went to hide behind Black-Rust, who made a sound as if he was rolling his eyes. Gray stared at the horse with a scowl. "Shut up! It's a strategy. I'm not hiding." Gray could swear that his horse snorted at him. "I said shut up. It doesn't look like it, but she's strong!" He rubbed his shoulder.

"Thank you, Gray-sama." The Duke groaned when he heard the amused voice of his wife from across the glade.

"I'm getting you for this, woman!"

#

Half hour later, they were both exhausted, but they were in a tie! Seventeen hits for her and seventeen for him. And Gray would be damned if he was getting beat by a girl that just started playing snowballs fights. He was raised with it! There was no way.

No. Way. In. Hell.

"The next one to get hit is the loser!" Gray yelled a little breathless, from behind a tree. They gave up hiding behind their horses, because they moved out of the way and it was a little embarrassing to be caught like that. Currently Black-Rust and Honey were standing together to keep themselves warmer while their stupid owners were acting like kids.

"Fine!" Juvia yelled too and he came out of his hiding place only to see her standing away from a tree, ready to hit him.

She threw a snowball at him, which he quickly dodged. He was about to throw his own when realized where his wife was standing. And it wasn't good. Not at all.

"Juvia!" He yelled. "Come back here. Now."

"Juvia will not fall for this!" She tried to move to go hide, but Gray stopped her.

"Don't move." He yelled, worried, and let his own snowball hit the floor. The Duchess stared at him in confusion. "Look... I don't want to scare you, but you're standing over a frozen river." Juvia took a breath and her eyes became big. He took a few steps towards her, carefully, so he wouldn't be standing over it as well. "I know... I know... But I am here, okay?" She nodded and he knew that the color that he saw in her face while playing with him was gone, because of her fear.

"That's as far as I can come." He said and there was still about two meters between them. "I need you to slowly walk towards me, alright?" She nodded and started to move her feet. "Good." He said with confidence to hide the fear he was also feeling.

Actually, he was terrified. That river was a fierce one. If she fell... There was no way that... Stupid him for getting so caught that he forgot about the frozen river.

"You're doing great, Juvia." He smiled to her, to make her feel better. Gray offered his hand and stretched himself as far as he could. "Grab my hand and you'll be alright. I won't let you go, no matter what."

"Okay." Juvia said looking only to his hand, she gave another hesitant step and leaned to take his hand when a sound made both of them look down to her feet at the same time. A second later both looked up with fear evident in their eyes.

Immediately, Gray stepped closer to her, forgetting his own safety, but it all happened too fast.

"Juvia!" It was all Gray could say, before the ice beneath her break, making the woman disappear in the freezing water.

#

It was cold.

It was too cold for her to even struggle. The current was too strong to fight, but Juvia tried, anyways. All her instincts kicked in, so that she could fight with all for her life, even though she knew it wasn't going to change the outcome.

She was going to die in that river.

It wasn't like she wanted to die, but she at least was happy before it happened. She never had so much fun with her husband until then. Juvia loved the way he was laughing and playing with her.

Fate really hated her. It was the only explanation.

Juvia was still moving her arms trying to save herself when she touched something very solid. Without even knowing what it was, she grabbed it with all her strength, because she knew that whatever it was, it could be her only way out of there.

And she wasn't going with the current anymore. She was holding something that was strong enough to not let her go with the current!

Gathering all her strength, she pulled herself up. And again, and again, and again.

Juvia was aware that her air supply was running low. She knew because her lungs began to hurt, but she needed to keep going, or die trying. With the thought of dying, the adrenaline of her body kicked in and she gave one last pull, making her head get out of the water.

The cold air she breathed couldn't have been better.

But she wasn't out of the hook yet. She was grabbing what she found out to be a branch of a fallen tree, but it wasn't to going to last much longer.

"Juvia!" She heard her husband's voice and something inside her snapped. She was not going to die there. Not when she had a life to live before she could even think of going to the afterlife! She was going to grow old to meet her grandkids and tell them how in her first snow fight, she beat the almighty 31st Duke of the Ice Lands.

With another pull, she was able to hug the branch which saved her life. She was out of the water enough so her Gray-sama could see her. And she knew he was closer now, because he had been calling her name rather crazily.

"Juvia!"

'He is coming.' She thought. 'He is coming for me. Gotta hold a little more.'

"Juvia?" The Duchess saw the man's boots because her head rested on the branch and her vision was narrowed to the ground. "Thank god! I'll get you! Hold on."

She heard him jump next to her and only then she realized that she could stand, but it was too frigid for her to do anything other than feel the coldness around herself and hold on to the branch that saved her life.

She felt hands grab her waist and her back get in contact with Gray's chest. He brought her closer and said, inches from her ear: "Let it go, Juvia." He was talking about the branch, but Juvia couldn't. What if she let it go and the river gets her again?

As if he was reading her thoughts, Gray said, calmly. "I'll never let you go. I promise."

And she believed him. She believed in him so much that she let go of the branch and let him take her to the shore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.7K 281 4
Juvia is in love with Gray but she was always being rejected, telling her that he only wants her body. Juvia gets heartbroken until she meets Lyon, w...
27.1K 525 10
The love for Gray sama becomes weak as juvia realise that it's only causing pain. The less she chases the more he wants. Is juvia's broken heart the...
391 29 8
This is a Au where Juvia is a witch in the woods and Gray is a knight and he comes to visit her for a love potion to be made ( Juvia is In love with...
9.6K 347 18
Juvia is a maid at the Palace in Fiore and is in love with the Prince of Fiore (gray fullbuster). the only problem s that gray is marrying someone el...