Make You Believe (Bulldogs MC...

By nicolleshield

Stand-alone prequel to 'Just Keep Running', this is Ash and Mel's story. Every time Ash sees Mel, he tries an... More

Author's Note
1: Would You Like A Medal?
2: He Was Groping You!
3: Hot Ash <3
4: That Was So Corny!
6: We'll Both Get Drunk!
7: Sometimes, Love Isn't Easy
8: I Was Right
SmashWords

5: Everything Fell Apart

7.7K 346 30
By nicolleshield

^^ Jay ^^

"What about this one?" Mum asked, pointing to yet another dress in a shop window.

"Mum, have you seen the price? You realise I work in a café right?" I laughed.

She shrugged and tilted her head looking closer at the dress. "It was just an idea. You deserve to spoil yourself occasionally you know."

I laughed and put my arm around her shoulders, squeezing softly. "I know mum. And I do, just not that much." I tensed up as I heard the tell-tale rumble of bikes behind us. I cringed as I saw them pull up a little way ahead of us and turned to my mum. "Okay, so you remember when I told you I was just friends with that biker?" I paused while she nodded. "Things might be progressing a bit."

She nodded at me knowingly. "And you're only telling me this now because of the Bulldogs that just pulled up and are now approaching us, right?"

"Well," I stuttered, then sighed. "Yes. That's why I'm telling you now."

She grinned and turned around to greet the guys. "Hello, boys!" She said, winking at me as I cringed again.

"Um, guys, this is my Mum, Brenda. Mum this is Jay, Banjo and Ash." I pointed to each of the guys as I introduced them, and they all held out their hands for her to shake.

Ash winked at her. "It's easy to see where Mel gets her beauty from."

I groaned. "Ash, please don't hit on my mother!"

My mum laughed as Ash turned to me and grinned. "You know I've only got eyes for you!"

"So this is the one you're 'progressing' with?" Mum asked, and I covered my face with my hands. "He's cute!"

"Oh god. Mum, we're leaving. Guys, I'll see you later!" I grabbed Mum's hand and dragged her away, ignoring the laughter of the guys behind us.

"I approve," Mum said, nudging my side with her elbow.

"Shouldn't you be warning me away and disapproving or something?" I asked.

"Life is short. If he makes you happy and treats you right, what does it matter if he wears leather and rides a Harley? Besides, if he hurts you, no amount of leather will protect him!"

I laughed and pulled her close again. "I love you, Mum!"

"I love you too. Now I don't suppose he has any friends for your old mum, does he?"

"Mum! No!" I shouted, more embarrassed than I could ever remember being.

***

"Hey beautiful," Ash said as I answered my front door.

"Hey," I leant up to place a kiss on his lips. "What are you doing here?"

He frowned. "I need a reason to come and see my girl?"

"Oh, I'm your girl am I?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes. You are. Now go get dressed," he laughed as he pointed down to the pink plaid pyjamas I was wearing.

It was almost lunchtime but I was enjoying my day off by spending it watching Netflix in bed. I hadn't planned on moving at all today, but Ash had thrown a spanner in the works.

"Why?" I whined.

"Because," he said, leaning down to kiss me again. "I'm taking you to the clubhouse,"

I stepped back and let him in. "Any particular reason?" I asked.

"Well, you have concerns about the club," I opened my mouth to speak but he kissed me again to stop me. "Which I totally understand, don't worry. But I guess the only way to stop those concerns is for you to come and spend time with us and get to know everyone a bit better, in our own environment,"

"So you do have a brain in there somewhere?" I grinned at him.

He laughed. "Actually, it was Jay's idea," he shrugged.

"Okay, I'll get dressed then," I smiled, enjoying the way his face lit up when I agreed to go with him.

"Oh and call Shelby too. You might be more comfortable with her there as well. That part was my idea," he grinned at me. 

***

"You guys drink wine?" I asked with a giggle as Skids handed me a glass of white.

"No, you can thank Ash for that. He thought you'd prefer it to our beer," he replied.

"Wow, he's a real keeper," Shelby said, nudging my side with her elbow. "Thoughtful and hot. What more could you want?"

I couldn't argue with her there. In the few weeks we'd been dating, Ash had been considerate and caring the whole time. He was still his usual self, making jokes and inappropriate comments, but I'd seen a side of him that was sensitive and kind. Although that side was hard to reconcile with the Ash I was seeing now, as he bent Jay over the pool table, thrusting his pelvis behind him.

I had been officially introduced to two more members – Philly and Pest. Philly was what I would expect of a biker, with his stern face, shaved head and long grey beard. Pest was tall and slim, and a complete pervert, in an almost endearing way. He was similar to a thirteen-year-old boy, talking to women's chests and doing things like kissing their hands when he greets them, trying to seem like a gentleman. If he weren't a member of the MC, I would think he was still very young. He had a baby face with dimples and seemed shy around the men. He definitely didn't have that problem with women.

I liked the fact that Ash was obviously being his usual self. He had drifted between sitting with Shelby and me and spending time with the guys. I had worried that he would be by my side all night, and I wouldn't get to see what they usually get up to. That was the whole point of this evening, after all. To see them in their clubhouse, and get to know them there. 

Ash came over to me when he'd finished his game, and pulled me up by my hand. He led me to a space that was clear of tables and pulled me close to him. I reached my arms up to rest around his neck and pulled him down for a kiss as we danced.

"Are you having a good time?" He asked, his lips brushing against mine.

A wide smile spread across my face and I nodded. "I am. It's been great. Maybe you guys aren't as bad as I thought after all,"

He laughed. "Only maybe?" I shrugged and laughed when he growled, bending his head to nip at the skin on my neck. "You're still worried?"

I pulled him closer, leaving no space between us as I rested my head on his shoulder. "A bit. I think it'll always be in the back of my mind. But I'm not letting it get in the way of us if that's what you're thinking,"

He sighed and squeezed me tight. "That's all I can ask. Thank you for giving us – giving me – a chance. You won't regret it,"

I looked up at him and grinned when I noticed his eyes on the small amount of cleavage my top exposed. I rolled my eyes and coughed. "My eyes are up here, mister,"

He grinned. "Oh I know, but right now I'm looking at what's there," he said, nodding towards my chest.

***

Ash and I had been in a relationship for about three months when everything fell apart. We had planned to go out for dinner that evening and Ash had turned up early to wait for me to finish my shift. He was sitting at a table with the other Bulldogs; all of them had gathered around two tables. I was just wiping down the counter when I heard the sirens. I turned to look outside and saw three police cars had pulled up in front of the Bulldogs' bikes. My heart dropped right into my stomach as two officers came through the door, their hands resting on their guns.

"Ashton Benedetti?" One of them asked.

My eyes widened as I looked at Ash, who was already looking at me. He stood slowly and looked at the closest officer.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Mr Benedetti, you are under arrest for armed robbery,"

His voice seemed to fade out as I stared at Ash. He turned to look at me with panic on his face.

"Mel, I swear they've got it wrong,"

"Come with us quietly please, Mr Benedetti. We'll use force if we have to,"

Ash put his hands up and walked towards the officer, who turned him and cuffed his hands behind his back. "Mel, please. I haven't done anything. I promise you!' He said over his shoulder, but the officer pushed him towards the door.

I couldn't speak or think. I walked backwards to the opposite side of the café as I watched through the window. He turned to look at me as he bent to get into the car, the officer's hand on his head. I couldn't look away until the door had closed and the car pulled away, the red and blue lights still flashing. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see Jay.

"We'll get this sorted, Mel. It wasn't him,"

"Mel?" Shelby asked from behind Jay. "What can I do?"

"Um," I stumbled over my words. "I can't – I need to go. I have to go home," I said, fighting the tears that were trying to spill.

"I'll take you," Jay said.

"No! Just leave me alone. Leave me out of this. Please!" I looked to Shelby. "I need to go,"

She nodded and smiled sadly at me. "Go. It's okay. I'll finish up here and then I'll come round,"

I nodded and made my way to the door, ignoring the Bulldogs as they tried to speak to me. All of my fears about the club were coming true. I had taken a risk and gotten involved with a Bulldog, and now he was in a police car for armed robbery! What the hell had I been thinking? Why did I think I could handle being a part of that lifestyle? Armed robbery! Who did he rob? Had he even done it?

He'd said he was innocent, and I did believe him deep down, but there was a niggling doubt that just wouldn't disappear. Everyone knows the rumours about MCs. I know they all carry guns; Ash had left his on my bedside table whenever he spent the night at my apartment. I had no idea what he or the others did when I wasn't around. There had been periods of two or three days at a time when I hadn't seen any of them; only getting texts or phone calls.

By the time I'd got back to my apartment, the tears were flowing freely. I unlocked my front door with shaky hands and slammed it behind me. I stood there for a moment, feeling completely lost and not knowing what to do next. My phone vibrated in my handbag and I pulled it out. Jay had sent me four texts and I had six missed calls from him and Skids. I turned it off and threw it on the sofa before making my way to my bedroom.

I must've cried myself to sleep because I woke up to the sound of the front door opening. Poking my head around the bedroom door, I sighed in relief when I saw Shelby.

"Hey," she said softly. "It's just me," I nodded and walked towards her, letting her pull me into a tight hug. "What do you need, honey?"

I sobbed and shook my head. "I don't know!"

We pulled apart when someone started banging on my front door. I knew it would be Jay, and that he wouldn't stop until I answered. I opened the door and had to step back to avoid his fist as he went to pound on the door again.

"Oh thank god!" He sighed, reaching for me and pulling me close. "Are you okay?"

I sniffed and wiped my face on my sleeve. "I'm fine. What do you want? I told you to leave me alone."

He sighed and rubbed his hand down his face. "I know. I'm sorry. I just spoke to Ash's lawyer," He paused and I suddenly felt sick. "They've got a witness who claims he saw Ash hold up a gas station a few miles away. He's not going to get bail,"

"What? Why not?" Shelby asked. I couldn't talk and it was getting hard to breathe.

"Because it's a weapons charge. Plus, he's a member of the club and has contacts all over the country. They say he's a flight risk so he's being held on remand. Mel, this witness is lying. I swear to you he didn't do it. He would never do anything like this. You know him!"

I nodded. "It doesn't matter, Jay. I told him that at the first sign of trouble I was out. I can't handle this. Please, can you just go? Please, Jay!" I sobbed.

He ran his hand through his hair and stepped forward to kiss the top of my head. "You've got my number," He looked at Shelby. "Both of you. If you need us," He sighed again and stepped back out into the hallway.

I sent him a watery smile as I closed the door behind him. I leant my back against it just as my knees gave out and I slumped to the floor. Shelby was there in an instant, wrapping her arms around me as we sat there, not moving.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 243 31
Charlie doesn't want anything to do with love, while Julian gets a taste of it for the first time. How can two impossibly stuborn people even begin t...
178 3 14
What Clarissa didn't expect in her life was to find her home open to multiple criminals. Her parents playing saviour to juvenile delinquents meant he...
41K 1K 50
The only love Lexi has ever received is those of the fiction novels she reads, but still, she believes somewhere, happiness can be found. Love can be...
59.4K 1K 42
Are you sure you want to make a deal with the devil? All Annabelle wanted to do was spend the night with a hot stranger to distract herself from her...