Falling of the Lady

بواسطة unknown23

As a woman, Scarlet Li has everything to please her in life, she has led a successful life in her studies, fa... المزيد

Ch 1. Family Matters
Ch 2. Code Triage
Ch 4. The Realization
Ch 5. Messing with Royalty
Ch 6. Overwhelmed with information
Ch 7. Life and Death Hangs by a Thread
Ch 8. Opened heart and Unspoken Words
Ch 9. Flawless Plan
Ch 10. A Word Spoken Can Never Be Taken Back
Ch 11. Losing at One's Own Game
Ch 12. Exposed
Ch 13. Rules of the Game
Ch 14. Fukien Capital
Ch 15. Miracles?
Ch 16. A Promise
Ch 17. Get Better
Ch 18. Joy and Sadness
Ch 19. Surprise Gift
Ch 20. Who Are You?
Ch 21. To Become a Maid
Ch 22. For Happiness
Ch 23. To Escape
Ch 24. Maid Training Success
Ch 25. Separated by Law
Ch 26. Was this Destiny?
Ch 27. For My Country
Ch 28. A River Apart, but One with the Heart
Ch 29. Piece of Cake?
Ch 30. Suspicion
Ch 31. Persistence Rules
Ch 32. Fool in Love
Ch 33. A Mission to Accomplish
Ch 34. Lion's Lair

Ch 3. Longing for Love Lost

60 1 0
بواسطة unknown23

"Hurry! Call the head physician here!" The crowned prince carried the crown princess into his bed chamber and laid her down on the bed gently. He sat by her side, cupping her cold hand in his. 

"Please don't leave me...you promised to stay by my side forever." He felt grief and pain. As a prince, a future superior and Heaven's son; Under one and above all, having the most wanted power, how can he command millions of soldiers but be unable to protect the ones he loved most?

"Your highness, the physician is here." Minhai disturbed the heavy silence fogging the air, allowing the old doctor to come through. 

As the doctor examines the crowned princess, the crowned prince waited anxiously behind. A couple minutes passed and the physician stood up bowing to the prince,

"How's her injury?"

The doctor smoothes out his long white beard and frowned, " It seems as though the crowned princess is injured with a poisonous arrow, I need to take it out immediately." He states honestly, "During this operation, I need a maid to assist me." He demands, and the crown prince called in the palace maid who has assisted the crown princess many years.

Heading out the door, crown prince took one last glance at his princess before the door closed behind him. "Please don't worry too much your highness, your health comes first." Minhai noted.

Minhai was the crown prince's most trusted bodyguard. He has followed the prince to protect and serve since they were children so he understands the prince most. During times like this when stress and grief befalls the prince, he could do nothing but share the burden. 

Long hours passed, when the bright sun above their heads sets to the bottom of the hill and the chilly wind started blowing east. The magnolia flower petals slowly starts to fall off the tree and fly with the wind. Its as if the flowers are sharing his heartache, shedding each petal like it was crying for him. 

"Your high-" A maid came walking towards them with a plate of food. However, before she can finish her sentence, MinHai silenced her by putting his finger to his lips. He took the plate of food and placed it down on the round rock table.

The crowned prince stood up from the round rock chair and walks toward the branching magnolia tree.

'The moon is bright tonight, accompanied by the many stars. Shining brightly above our heads and looking down before us. Even your most favorite flower has the birds to accompany it tonight. When I am most lonely and distressed, you were always by my side, quietly tending to me. But when you are most vulnerable, where am I?' 

The crowned prince pulls out his sword and started practicing his martial arts skills. With each swift movement, he puts all his mind, thought and spirit into the thrusts, advancing forward and slicing the petals of magnolia in half and fourths as it fell from the tree.

The doctor finally came out after long hours of operation, he held the bloody arrow in his hand and presented it to the prince who tucked his sword in, "This is the arrow which poisoned the crowned princess."

"How is the crowned princess?"

"Reporting to your highness, the crowned princess is now in stable condition and will soon wake up. With this medicine to treat her every 4 hours, she will be well and healthy." The doctor handed the herbs to the maid, "I will teach her how to make the medicine, allow me to take my leave." He bowed

The crowned prince nodded, dismissing them and examined the arrow in his hand carefully.

Minhai noticed the arrow, "The design of this weapon seems like it was made in our province."

"Right." The crowned prince frowned, gripping the arrow in his hand, hoping it is not who he thinks it is.

"Do you have a candidate in mind?" Minhai was curious knowing the insides of the palace is full of dishonesty, turmoil and cruelty. Its a dog eat dog world where people fight for power and desire.

Crown prince hands the arrow over to Minhai, "Investigate where this arrow was made and who made it. I hope the perpetrator is not ho I think it is." He sighed heavily. 

"Is it seventh pri-"

Zexian (Crown prince) did not want Minhai to get in trouble by accusing a person without evidence, "The troubles that befalls someone when accusing, especially royalty, is serious punishment. We need proof, but what you're thinking is what I am also worried about."

Minhai understands and nodded, "I'll take my leave."

Zexian nodded and took in a deep breath before entering the bedroom. The maid immediately greeted him, but he put a finger to his lips and dismissed them out. The servants quickly took their out and allowed the prince to accompany his princess.

Zexian slowly made his way over to the flattened bed and sat beside her. He grabbed her cold hands, now warmed by his and placed it to his cheek, whispering words of love and poems that she adored,

"When Autumn's Golden wind embraces dew jade, all the love scenes on earth, however many, fade. Their tender love flows like a stream, their happy date seems but a dream..." Even though their marriage was made by the Imperial edict, high above, even though he didn't know her quite well. He could feel the love she has given him these couple years. She was always quietly watching him from afar, bringing him foods of thought, political resolutions and tending to his every needs when he is most stressed. Every citizen in the Ming state believed that they were a match made in heaven; a celestial princess and the Heaven's child. This was the absolute joy of the world, everyone believed that, hand in hand, the couple could bring endless peace to the country. 

Zexian holding her hand softly in his and the other tucking in a piece of black hair behind her ear, "The other night you begged me to let us get married so you can fulfill your one last wish. Now that we are married for barely 2 sunsets, you are injured. Did I make the right decision that night to agree? Is what I'm bringing you only pain and bloodshed?" He closes his eyes, questions colluding his mind. 

-------------------------------------

After being in a coma for 2 whole days, Scarlet finally opened her eyes. She felt an aching sore on her left shoulder she tried to sit up. 

"Your royal highness." A maid in a sleek blue dress comes running up to her. 

Scarlet raised an eyebrow, "Who are you? Why are you wearing such weird clothing?" She had soo many questions, "Wher-ah!" Her shoulder was in pain when she tried to position herself back on the bed,

"Did you forget me? I'm Lingli, your personal maid servant. I followed you to the palace after marriage."

Scarlet snorts, "Marriage? Oh puh-lease! I haven't even found a suitable man, how can I get married. Plus, what maid servant and palace? You've gone crazy." she wiggles her hand so the girl name Lingli can come closer,

Scarlet places a palm to her forehead feeling her temperature then to her own head. "You're not sick and neither am I." 

Lingli places her pale hand over her pink lips in shock, "Have you hit your head somewhere? Oh no, I must call the physician!"

"Wait!" Scarlet tried to stand up while holding her injury, "Tell the doctor to give me a bit more painkiller. This wound is unbearable, its like someone had stabbed me several times."

Lingli worriedly bowed and left running out the door to get help. Scarlet quietly limps to the round table made of wood and sat down on the wooden round chairs, the chestnut wood paint was polished, the furniture was well kept without a single dust spotted. Drapes of tied translucent green curtain filled the rooms. 

"Even the bed looks weird...it looks like one of those historical beds on TV." She raised an eyebrow intriguingly. Scarlet further took in her environment and looked ahead of her, past the open doors. The outside is paved concrete with white magnolia trees lining the sidewalk. 

Embracing her wound, she steadily made her way outside to see how wide the yard is. The sun shone brightly above her, not ceasing a chance to burn her face off. The willow leaves on the willow tree hangs low at the end of the bridge, sipping the cool river water while the birds high above it flew freely across the high, limitless wall of the building.

"Where is this place? Heaven?" Her pale lips whispered unknowingly as she leans against the magnolia thin trunk. Scarlet closes her eyes trying to remember what happened last, but it was all a blurry memory of her falling from the roof of the garage. My head. She scrunches her face in pain,

'From now on, you will take my place to love and care for him. Please give him happiness.' A low voice whispered in her head, giving her a pounding headache. "My head" she hits her temples with the palm of her hand.

"Your highness!" Lingli comes running towards her with gentle kindness, escorting her into the bedchamber. "Please don't wander around when you are injured, you might reopen your wound."

After Lingli sat Scarlet down at the round table, the maid stood behind the princess consort allowing the physician to take the spotlight.

"Greetings, your highness." He bowed his head formally,

"What's with the weird etiquette?" Scarlet wanted to stand up and excuse the formality but she was in too much pain, "You're the doctor right? Here, check my wound."

Scarlet pulls down the side of her sleeves to reveal her pale shoulder, but the doctor didn't dare look, 

"Your highness!" The maid stood in front of Scarlet to avoid the physician from taking a peak.

"What?!" Scarlet almost had a heart attack from the shriek. "He's going to check my wound, why are you standing there like a statue? Move."

"I dare not, your highness. This is indecency!" The old physicians voice shook in fear. "Please let Lingli check in my stead."

Scarlet sighs heavily and looks up at Lingli who remains her calm composure, "You know medicine?"

Lingli shook her head, "But I can tend to your wound as the doctor asks." She answers brightly. However, Scarlet was unwilling to let someone not skilled in the art of medicine to check her.

"I'll just do it myself." 

"B-But..." The doctor felt that the crowned princess was quite different from her usual self.

"Doc, you can go. I'll treat myself." She demanded, "Lingli, help me unband the wound."

Lingli nodded and the doctor excused himself. The servants outside overheard the conversation and stayed outside staring at the doctor. The doctor shook his head and smoothes his snow white beard, 

"How is her highness?" Everyone was curious,

"Inform the crown prince that the crown princess is denying treatment." He advised and a servant hurriedly tucked away the broom, running as fast as he can.

The man servant rushed over to the East side of the Imperial palace to find the yard empty with only maids and the housekeeper.

MinHai was outside keeping watch of the crown prince's study room, "Sir Minhai!" The man servant breathes heavily, patting his chest,

"Catch your breath and speak clearly of the matter." Minhai demanded a pristine statement,

"Is-Is his highness present?"

"The crown prince has gone to morning court and won't be back until half an incense later, is there something wrong?"

The manservant wiped the sweat dripping down his forehead with his long clothed sleeve and nod, "Crown princess is denying treatment after her highness has woken up."

Minhai frowned, "Go back to your post and monitor the situation. I will report to the prince." He rushed out of the yard.

-----------------------------------

At the dragon pavilion where business occur, all the officials with high positions lined up on two sides of the red carpet running up the steps of stairs leading to the golden throne where the high and mighty emperor sits. His golden silk robe was designed elaborately by 500 artisans sewing each needle carefully and articulately, with high soaring dragons and wispy clouds embroidering the gown. On his left side was the empress dowager and the right side was the empress.

An old official stepped to the side to report a problem, "Fukien capital is in the season of drought right now, I would like some of the wealthiest families to send a part of their income to the province to aid the disaster." 

"Isn't that the same thing as raising the taxes of the wealthy?" Another official pointed out. Hearing of the startling plan, many of the executives started discussing amongst each other.

Fourth prince stepped out, "Your majesty, that's not necessarily a bad plan. On one hand you can be helping the need while, you can be showing them your graceful kindness towards the people."

"Your majesty, this is wrong from many perspectives." Seventh prince stepped forth,

"Oh?" The emperor became interested in what his son has to say,

"Every citizen whether poor or rich should be treated equal. All persons in our country should be justified rightly to keep his fruits of labor. Different people have different standpoints, but personally, I believe that the rich has been taxed unfairly." He looks around to see people starting to nod their heads, "The rich has been giving out to the poor for half the century, saving every penny they made from blood, sweat and tears only to be given away while the poor sit on their butts and earn what shouldn't be theirs. With that money, the low income holders spend freely on yachts to go sight seeing, jewleries for their women and art." 

Crown prince felt what his older brother was saying is unjustified so he stepped out of line to talk, "What older brother saying isn't all true. The money being taxed is to aid the poorest of the populations. When a man has no money or food, being given capital will allow him to find food to fill his belly instead of women to succeed his desire, to make shelter from the rain and hail instead of art for admiration." He looks at his father sincerely, "At the silver lining of death and survival, a man will naturally take what is given and buy things that would keep him alive, not nonsensical items."

"Zexian, you're always so soft on the people." He smirks, "They're not as innocent as you think they are, if taxes are raised in this region, the rich will find business in another region where taxes are lower." Seventh prince (Wang Anjing) protested strongly, "Driving people out of our land is not what we are aiming for."

"However, we are building a long term plan, if the wealthy are willing to give out a bit to aid the government then it will prove their loyalty. To add onto that, not only can we assist the poor with the capitol, but we can also use the money to pay for health, education, defense and security of the nation." Zexian was not going to back down, "When we give out a little, we will get back more."

The king nodded at his son's heated debate, "What do you think minister Shan? You have been with the deceased emperor, so you must have plenty advise for this situation."

"Both his highness's ideas are excellent in helping the country prosper. I believe that we should send someone out to give morale to the town and assist in feeding the poor at this time of need." He addressed, 

"As for the taxing of the wealthy, we can cast the idea aside for now and discuss it later." Shan GeMing did not want to offend the crown prince, nor the seventh prince because they were both his son in laws. His eldest daughter married seventh prince a year ago and they were known as the most loving couple in the country, one that every household looks up to. While his step daughter married the crown prince. Even though she was his brothers daughter whom he cared for, he still didn't like how she snatched away the position as the crowned princess.

"Do you have any suggestion, minister Shan?" Empress dowager finally spoke up,

"Since Crown prince and princess have just married, why don't I suggest a getaway for both of them, away from politics and public eye for awhile to assist the village. As high as the position of his highness, it would be better if he went to boost the morale of the people."

"But your majesty-" Before Zexian could intercept the idea, the empress dowager smiles,

"Magnificent idea." She looks over to her adored grandson, "Is there a problem?"

"Princess consort was injured the other night during an assassination. I'm afraid, she won't be able to head out with me."

"Zexian is right your majesty. It would not be good if crown princess's situation gets worse."

The emperor nodded, "Why don't you and your princess consort go?" He looks over to seventh prince.

Empress dowager rose, "Aiding the poor while having an injury shows the more how a princess consort can cast aside all personal matters to serve her people. If the people of our country can have that type of queen in the future, we would be blessed." She looks at all the ministers,

"If, however, princess consort passes away during this journey, her death will be held high and honorable. She has not died a coward, but a brave soul serving for the country. This is her job."

"Bu-"

Everyone nodded, but most disagreed and kept their thoughts to themselves, unable to speak against the empress dowager.

"Empress mother is right." The emperor could do nothing but obey to his mother.

"Court over!" The eunuch called out and everyone was dismissed,

"Emperor father!" Zexian called out but was ignored. Fourth prince nudged his brother to leave, but Zexian was disturbed. He was worried that Wanyu's health couldn't take the journey and something might happen to her.

As if reading his mind, fourth prince commented, "Worried about eighth sister in law?" He smiles,

"QuAn, she's really weak. She's not strong as us men, how can she handle such a long journey with an injury?"

"Don't worry seventh brother, sister in law has the doctor to accompany her along the way and you to take care of her. She will be fine."

At the bottom of the stairs Seventh prince thanked his father in laws gesture during court, "I wish father a long life filled with wealth and happiness."

Minister Shan laughs, "As long as your highness can be crowned emperor than I can give my worried heart a rest. You have the capability, its just that you didn't get it in time. No worries, heavens have granted us another chance and we won't let it slip by." GeMing patted his son in laws back hopefully, "If Wanyu dies during this journey, then crown prince will be heartbroken and will not be able to pay attention to politics anymore. With this, you can show his majesty how capable you are and gain what belongs to you."

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

777 35 24
I woke up in a hospital bed, the pain I was feeling was intense. All I remember was practicing gymnastics and then well everything went black. And no...
950K 29.5K 29
He startled me when his hands gripped my hips pulling me into his body, my hands resting on his warm chest. I looked up to find him staring at me, bu...
18.9K 743 20
( this story is finished so enjoy reading!) The world has gone into poverty for the human race. Third world countries have died out and Downworld set...
12.2M 395K 57
"Why did u punch him?" I asked in shock. "Why did you kiss him?" He asked me angrily. "What? I... but..he... " "Is he your boyfriend? Or Did he pa...