The Hero Of Hyrule

By KarkatVantabulous

Link did all he had to do. He defeated Calamity Ganon he activated and completed all the shrines. He was done... More

The End of the Silent Princess
An Encounter with the Zora
The Champions and their Divine Beasts: Part I
The Champions and Their Divine Beasts: Part II
Link Faces A Possible Mental Breakdown
Link's Prayers
Sidon Accompanies Link
Rain
Journey Across Hyrule
Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Diary
Preparations for the Ceremony
The New King of Hyrule
Advice from Dorephan
Hyrule Historia: Part I
Temporary Answer To A Confusing Problem
Hyrule Historia: Part II
Hyrule Historia: Part III
Hyrule Historia: Part IIII
New Zora Traditions
Confession
Visions
Engagement
Wedding
After Story: New Additions to the Family

Visions: Hylian Edition

2K 57 18
By KarkatVantabulous

Goodbyes are, perhaps, the hardest thing Link has endured. He has had to say goodbye to any normal life he had lived before the Calamity. He has had to say goodbye to his friends, the Champions. He has had to say goodbye to his memories. He has had to say goodbye to Princess Zelda as she died in his arms. Now, he had to say goodbye to his fiancé so he could make the trip back to Hyrule Castle and return to his royal duties. Sidon was to stay at the Zora's Domain and spend some much needed time with his people. Of course, the two would be planning their wedding (with help of course!) while they stayed in their respective Kingdoms. It'd be difficult but they couldn't spend every waking second together to plan their wedding. They needed to also pay attention to their responsibilities and blah blah blah. So technically speaking the two wouldn't see each other until the day of their actual wedding. 

Which was complete agony for Link.

Don't get Sidon wrong- he was going to be miserable as well!- but he thought it to be a sort of romantic thing. They wouldn't see each other until their wedding day and that would make that day so much more special. Link didn't exactly think that way and was already scheming up a plan to finish a months worth of work in less than a week. Sidon had to force Link to promise he wouldn't do that and to just go along with their plan. Link begrudgingly agreed.

So they did as planned. Link returned to the castle and Sidon stayed home. Over the course of two and a half months Link and Sidon prepared for their wedding. They had several willing helpers (which was consisted of Bolson, Rhondson, and Paya as well as a few others) who would help the two communicate their plans and ideas via letters as well as actually getting the decorations, food, and just about everything else ready. Link promised everyone who was helping a hearty reward but they all turned it down and insisted they were more than happy to help for free.

The help was greatly appreciated by both Sidon and Link. Link was overwhelmed by the many new issues that suddenly surged in the Kingdom. Few funds to support the rebuilding of a certain village, sudden surge of monster attacks in more remote areas where travelers often explored, questions on how Hyrule would defend itself against Ganon's attack (Better to start preparing too early rather than too late), questions on how the Princess with Goddess blood would be born into the royal family and how the next hero of legend would be born if Link was going to marry a Zora. Offspring between a Hylian and Zora has never happened before, mostly because hardly any Hylians marry Zoras, so how would the hero and princess be born? These questions, as well as others, were always thrown at Link the moment he woke up. It was stressing and he was tired of them but he tried his best not to let that get to him.

Some of the problems were obviously easier to handle. The funds? Link would create a team of miners and have them mine for rare and precious gems. He had discovered that the last king had hidden away chests filled with rupees just in case Hyrule was in trouble financially. Link would be up to the task but he knew he couldn't be the one exploring Hyrule for hidden chests so he would create another team to track down the hidden rupees. Monster attacks? He hired Kilton to teach a group of elite soldiers on the specific monster they were going to face. If the soldiers couldn't peacefully move the monsters than they'd had to resort to a more violent option. Protection against Ganon? Link consulted Impa, Purah, and Robbie. The four of them discussed possible ideas and plans for defeating Ganon and protecting the civilians as well as new technology. The Divine Beasts were going to be put away, placed below the Kingdom's ground and saved. They couldn't be used again, not after last time. The birth of the new hero and goddess blooded princess? This was more difficult. Since the blood of the Goddess Hylia ran through the bloodlines of the ancient Hyrulean family, Link didn't have that. So if there was any sort of possibility that by some miracle Link and Sidon somehow managed to have children, their child wouldn't have the Goddess's blood. But Link recalled the Goddess mentioning that he had his share of the Triforce returned to him, as well as received Zelda's piece. Perhaps maybe the shard of wisdom was the only thing he needed in order to carry the blood of the Goddess? He didn't know. But even if that was the case, how would he have a child? Aside from the fact that Sidon was a male, a Hylian and Zora have never had a child before. This was a dilemma and Link nearly had a panic attack before he reminded himself that the Goddesses had planned for all this. He was sure they knew something would happen and the next Goddess-blooded princess would get there one way or another. As for the next legendary hero...well Link already knew the answer to that. He would die at one point and return to the world in a new life. No need to worry over bearing children there. The next hero was already there! This, however, wasn't something he could explain to anyone who asked. The answer was too complicated and probably something completely insane. So, when asked, Link simply shrugged and answered that the Goddess had a plan. With prayer the true answer would come to him. Everyone accepted this answer.

Link would spent late nights, hunched over in the hidden study that belonged to the Last King of Hyrule. He would be reading some proposed laws, trying to figure out solutions to problems that happened across the Kingdom, and helping plan the wedding (the wedding stuff he always saved for last so he could fall asleep with a smile on his face). He was running on approximately two hours of sleep, sometimes less, a night. Not that he really cared. While saving Hyrule he hardly ever slept. But the lack of sleep was adding to his already growing stress.

Link, thankfully, had a solution to this.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice." Link signed with a smile as Paya helped her grandmother out of the Royal Carriage. "I hope I didn't pull you out of anything important."

"Important? Nothing is more important than helping you run a kingdom, my dear." Impa hugged Link warmly and they all walked up the path into the castle. "Besides, Paya had a letter to deliver you from the Zora Prince."

"Ah, y-yes." Paya dug through a bag she had slung over her shoulder and pulled out an envelope with Link's name on it. "Prince Sidon would also like for me to remind you to not stress yourself out in this time where nearly everyone requires your attention." Impa chuckled.

"He knows you all too well your highness." As they walked in Link explained just exactly what he needed Impa to help him with. With everything explained Impa shooed Link away and demanded he take advantage of his "day off". She wouldn't do this too often. Link smiled and thanked her once more, hugged both Impa and Paya, before he jogged off to his room.

Link had to admit, he was excited. For the first time in two and half months he had the freedom to do whatever he pleased! He quickly changed out of the itchy royal attire and into his more comfortable Champion's Tunic. He gathered his materials (really just his sword and shield AND the sword and shield Sidon had given to him) before he ran out the room. He had left the crown placed on his bed and most definitely didn't toss it on there when he was halfway down the hallway.

Where to go? Where to go? Link didn't know. He ran through the long castle hallways, dodging whoever came across his path. He was racking his brain trying to think of the perfect place to go when something caught his attention. Link stopped and stood still. He heard the faint sound of bells? No. It was something else, something different but it sounded so similar. What could it be?

He stayed silent and took a step closer to where he believed the sound was coming from. Yes. It was definitely something else. He knew what it was yet he couldn't place a finger on it.

A fairy flew up to him from around the corner. A dim golden light, different than a fairy's normal pink glow, was shining off of its round little body glowed directly in his face as it flew in little circles in front of him. Link was...confused to say in the least. Most of the time fairies would fly away if anyone go too close. Now this one was right in front of him. What could this mean?

The fairy flew forward and paused, going around in small circles again. Link hesitated before he took a step towards the creature once more. In response, the fairy flew forward again and waited. Oh. Now Link knew what this meant. He began walking towards the fairy and didn't stop. It seemed to be leading him somewhere, but where exactly? The creature flew into the deeper areas of the castle, confusing Link with every foot it flew. Eventually it paused at a door, flying in a lazy circle until Link caught up. He reached a hand out, the fairy reacted and flew straight through the door.

Link sighed and pushed the hair out of his face. He already had a feeling something...divine was afoot. He wondered what it could be. Maybe another one of his childhood memories? Maybe a Goddess statue was in there? Only one way to find out...

The door opened with a loud creak that echoed off the walls of the hallway. The golden fairy from before had vanished and no other golden light was seen. Link walked in slowly, keeping his eyes peeled for any sort glowing circle. He saw nothing as he walked deeper into the dark room. He frowned a bit and stood there, silently wondering why he was even led there if there was going to be nothing?

The Hylian King sighed again, more annoyed this time, and looked around. It looked like sort of storage room. Everything in there was dusty and looked old. Probably the things Bolson or the new Castle servants had found when the Castle was remodeled. From the looks of it, it all just looked like broken junk that no one had the heart to dump out. But there had to be something in there that was important.

Link began yanking tarps off of boxes, dust flying up in the air and causing Link to sneeze. He wouldn't get anything done if he was trapped in a room full of dust. Thankfully there was a boarded up window. Normally Link would jump at the chance to set something on fire- this was a perfect opportunity to do so!- but he controlled himself and instead decided to pry the boards off. They were flimsy so it didn't take much energy to do so. Light poured into the room, causing something off to the side to glimmer. Link raised a hand to block the light from his eyes and walked to the source.

A beautiful and perfectly reserved tiara rested on top of a pillow placed on top of a box. The tiara seemed to have been untouched from the dust and seemed to be one worn for more...special occasions. In any case it seemed flashier than the one Zelda often wore. The Hylian King picked up the diadem and thought for a moment, Zelda's face popped into his mind. A pang of guilt shot through him at the thought of her, she hadn't crossed his mind in such a long time... He supposed he should...fully pay his respects to her. After such a long time and after everything that had happened it was the very least Link could do.

With the tiara in hand, Link went back up to the main parts of the castle. He stopped to inform Impa where he was planning on going before returning to his room to change into the proper clothing. Once he was fully prepared, Link unclipped his Sheikah Slate and selected a shrine on the map that appeared. Within seconds he was standing behind the Goddess Statue at the Spring of Wisdom.

The cold stung his cheeks and the water didn't help him. It soaked through his pants as he waded over to the front of the statue. He could barely feel the cold metal of the tiara with his freezing fingers. Damn his fingerless gloves, the Rito just didn't understand how crucial that part of his body was.

Link knelt down in the water and bowed his head. He closed his eyes for a moment before he placed the tiara that once belonged to Princess Zelda on the little mound that was meant for offerings. When it was set down a brilliant golden light shot up and Link seemed to have sunk a bit lower into the water. He was struggling now, something felt like it was dragging him down as the light drew closer and closer to him. He was pulled down to where only his head was above the water. If he didn't die drowning then hypothermia would be a close second. He took in a deep breath before he was yanked roughly underwater. All he could see was the golden light above.

-

Link opened his eyes, he doesn't remember ever closing them, only to be blinded by the sun. He groaned and put a hand up to shade his eyes. He squinted while he adjusted to the light. When he was ready, he jumped out of the bed but nearly jumped in surprise when he noticed he was no longer in his Rito made clothing but back in his Champion's Tunic. That was...certainly odd, but whatever. In the distance he heard a cow moo and a cucco cluck in distress. When the light no longer bothered him he looked around. It looked like...he was in a house. A house in Hateno, however it wasn't his house.

Link was standing on the second floor besides a bed. There was another, larger bed a few feet away from the one he was next to. It looked like this house belonged to a family. Well, Link wasn't going to invade their privacy much longer. It'd be weird if they saw their King in their house snooping around. He hurried down the stairs and walked out the house only to be greeted by a cow in his face. It mooed loudly and Link held his hands up defensively. The animal did nothing as Link slowly walked to the side.

He was on a farm. He recognized this one to be the farm that resided at the foot of the hill that led up to the Hateno Ancient Tech Lab. Except...the farm seemed different somehow. It all looked different...

A pony caught his attention. It neighed and trotted up to him happily, as if Link was an old friend. The Hylian King smiled and proceeded to pat the pony's side, looking around and spotting an apple tree nearby. He plucked a fruit off the tree and fed it to the pony. It neighed once more before it happily ate the apple  out of Link's hand.

"You always told me your favorite memories were on your family's farm. Back when you lived here at least." Link jumped up in surprise. He swirled around and stood protectively in front of the small animal only for his defensive frame to shrivel up. "To be quite honest I was afraid you'd react negatively to this seeing as the Shrine of Resurrection wiped your memories clean. But I see your love of animals has saved the day." Zelda smiled warmly as Link stood there, mouth open and eyes wide. "My favorite memory was the day we went out and I found that frog." The area around them melted away and in came a new landscape. They were sitting on the hill that looked over at Hyrule Castle. The pony had apparently stayed with the two of them as the scenery changed. It neighed and happily began trotting around the new field, the new hill. This was the same exact hill from Link's memory of the day Zelda tried to make him taste a frog.

"Shall we sit?" The Princess sat down in the grass and patted the ground besides her. Link lowered himself onto the ground, his shaky legs almost causing him to collapse. "This is quite nice isn't it? The day is just as I remember it, only I wasn't wearing this silly old dress." Zelda sighed contently and looked over at the castle. "I get the felling you believe this to be some kind of dream, which is understandable, but believe me when I say this isn't."

"You're really here?" Link finally signed out. Zelda smiled and nodded.

"Yes, Link. I'm really here. I have begged for the Goddesses to give me a few spare moments with you. I'm glad I finally got the opportunity to do so. Although I was expecting something more...subtle. Like maybe allowing me to visit you in your dreams. But I suppose drowning you and dragging your spirit to the Sacred Realm works as well."

They sat there silently. Neither knew exactly what to say. It was tense, awkward, between them. But neither really cares. Although they were a tad uncomfortable they were glad to be in one another's presence again.

"Link, I'm sorry." Zelda finally spoke up. She was ripping grass blades out the ground and tearing them up. "I...I shouldn't of forced such responsibility onto you as I died. But I was panicking and it felt like the right decision at the moment and I didn't want Hyrule- or what was left of it- to suffer any more. I...I know how stressful it is to be a leader when you have no clue what to do. I hope I haven't caused you too much anguish since then..." Link smiled a bit and shook his head.

"Don't worry. It isn't that bad after a while. King Dorephan and Impa have helped me a lot too. I believe that I can handle this." Zelda smiled and sniffled. There were tears welling up in her eyes.

"You were always so positive. It surprised me to be honest. Even when you knew your destiny and how...horrible your life would be, you were very optimistic. Even now. I admire that about you." Silence again. Zelda continued messing with the grass and Link looked down at Hyrule Field. He frowned and cleared his throat before speaking.

"I'm...sorry." His voice is low and hoarse from the lack of use. He cleared his throat it again. "I didn't...protect you." Zelda blinked. She had listened to him talk very few times in the past. She had forgotten what his voice sounded like so it was a bit of shock to hear him actually talk.

"It's fine, really. I had...I already had my suspicions that all of that would happen. Especially after a hundred years. I mean, Hylians can live longer than that but I was exhausting an awful lot of ancient power. It was bound to...to..." Zelda chewed her bottom lip and looked down at Castle Town. From there they could see small figures moving around, living their lives. "I suppose I should've warned you before you began battling the dark beast that that would've happened. So you wouldn't of been as scared or shocked. I guess I didn't because...I was hoping I would survive." She sighed and wiped a tear away.

"Let's talk about something else." Link signed. Zelda nodded.

"I suppose this is a good time to actually get to the thing I wanted to talk to you about. I just hope I don't get too embarrassed to actually say it." Zelda smoothed out her dress once she repositioned herself and spoke quietly. "You were...my best friend. You were there for me in times of great need. You protected me at all costs even when I treated you poorly. Yes, I know you were my appointed knight. I know it was your duty to protect me with all your life but...I felt like I didn't deserve that protection. I felt like...because of my inability to access that sealing power and my constant belittling of your position and you in general I didn't deserve to be protected. That day when the Yiga Clan had me surrounded you could've left me to perish but you didn't...that day when all went wrong and the Guardians were hunting us down you could've left me to die and saved yourself but you didn't. And all those days where I was a mess of emotions, where I wanted nothing to do with you or anyone, you were there by my side. You helped me cope with my feelings and tried to help me through them. You even opened up to me and made me feel like I was special. Like I wasn't a complete failure. You...you always will be my best friend, Link." Zelda and slowly took Link's hand in her own. She gave it a tight squeeze, smiling through the tears reforming in her eyes.

"You're my best friend too." Link whispered out in his raspy voice. "I understood what you were going through and you understood what I was going through. We might've had our ups and downs but I'm glad we were able to be as close as we were. Even if it was for a short while." The Princess smiled and began sobbing happy tears as she threw herself onto Link. It was funny, Link thought to himself, here he was hugging a crying Zelda on the ground. Only this time there was no rain and the tears weren't one of stress and heart-wrenching pain.

The two spent their remaining time simply strolling through the fields and small patches of trees, hand in hand. Zelda explained that in the Sacred Realm her ancestors lived in their own kingdoms. She often visited them and would go exploring Hyrule's old form. It was always exciting to go see the hidden secrets of Hyrule in the Era of the Hero of Twilight or the Hero of the Sky (that one was her personal favorite, Skyloft intrigued her and she just loved the Surface before it became Hyrule) or any other form of Hyrule where any other legendary hero lived. To her delight she got along quite pleasantly with the other Goddess-blooded princesses although it was a bit confusing whenever someone wanted to talk to a specific Zelda.

The topic came up of Link's status as King. The Hylian Knight, at first, shrugged and simply responded with an "it's fine, could be worse." Zelda urged him to talk and he did. He was hesitant at first, he didn't want to make the Princess feel as if she had shoved too much onto Link's plate when he had just finished fulfilling his duty, but after a bit of her pushing him to talk he did. He sheepishly mentioned the point in time where he went out exploring Hyrule and procrastinating his own coronation. He left out the parts that included Sidon, he was too embarrassed to mention him at first, until Zelda asked if he did this all alone. Surely Impa wouldn't of allowed that! Link then awkwardly explained how Mipha's younger brother had accompanied him in his journey around the kingdom. Then Link had explain how Sidon also spent a majority of his time in Hyrule Castle with Link instead of in the Zora Domain, helping him discover more on previous heroes and help him cope with all he had been through. Zelda smiled and patted Link's shoulder, informing him that he didn't have to dance around that subject. That was a breath of fresh air. Link laughed nervously and, in his gross raspy voice, told her that he was getting married soon. Zelda responded with another tight hug.

The time came where the two had to depart. Zelda didn't want to say goodbye but she knew that a goodbye was inevitable. She led them to the Sacred Grounds, thinking it would be rather...fitting. As they approached, the Princess sighed and gave Link's hand a gentle squeeze.

"Before you go...I have to pass a message on to you..." Link raised an eyebrow and nodded slowly. "The Goddesses have...informed me that it is time for you to return the Master Sword to its resting place. Since your duty has been fulfilled you no longer need its strength." Link nodded again. "But...with the sword of legend returned to its place...you will no longer be able to...how do I put this? You will no longer be able to...see me. Your connection with me- with this ancient power really- will be sealed away. Of course the shards of courage and wisdom will still live on within you but you will never be able to...see me again. Or the Sacred Realm. But the remaining pieces of the spirits of the Champions will be freed and they will be able to fully cross over to the Sacred Realm..."

Link was staring down at the ground as they slowly walked up the show to the old grounds where Link was fully recognized as a Hylian Champion. He didn't know what to think. He didn't want to return the Master Sword, that sword was practically a part of him! He went through shrine after shrine to prove to that sword that he was worthy. He used that legendary blade to protect him from the worst of enemies, from puny ChuChus to the big bad Calamity. And now he was being told he could never revisit Zelda once he returned it to its place? No way did he want to return it now. He was connected to this blade...he couldn't just let it go. Could he? Link looked at his hip. At the time it was bare, no Sheikah Slate clipped onto his belt and the sword Sidon made for him wasn't there either. He supposed it wouldn't be so bad. In fact, he didn't need the sword that sealed the darkness if there was no darkness to seal. All he really needed was the sword given to him by the lovely Zora Prince. Besides, Link would come back eventually. He would be reunited with the sword then.

"I'll miss you." Link signed when Zelda let his hand go. "I'll always miss you. And I won't forget about you." Zelda hugged him, crying again. Link hugged back tightly, burying his face in her shoulder. He tries to squeeze his eyes shut to stop the tears from flowing but alas, they streamed down his cheeks anyway. When the hug broke apart she smiled widely at her friend and laughed, wiping Link's tears away and saying he'd miss him as well.

"Goodbye, Link." Zelda whispered as Link knelt down in front of her.

"See you later, Zelda." The Hylian Knight said in his raspy voice. Zelda held her arm out and within a second the Triforce appeared on her hand. A second later the golden light coming from the magical triangle moved from the princess's hand to the the knight. When the light died down, Link was gone and Zelda was alone.

-

"Congratulations, your highness." Paya whispered, poking her head into Link's study. Link jumped up in surprise. He was taking a little nap on his desk. The Sheikah girl smiled and stepped into the room with a stack of letters in her arms. "As of today, your wedding is done being planned. All the preparations are ready. All that needs to happen is the actual wedding." She grabbed an envelope from the top of the stack she held and handed it to Link. The Hylian King already had a gigantic smile on his face but upon seeing that the letter was actually an invitation to his very own wedding. "Since neither you nor Prince Sidon could decide on an actual date for the wedding my grandmother took care of it. I hope it isn't too much of...I hope it isn't too soon." Link raised an eyebrow and looked back down at the invitation and nearly had a stroke. The wedding was planned for two weeks from that day.

"I-I tried to tell my grandma that that would be too soon but she insisted that it be that date and-" Link raised a hand and Paya stopped.

"It's fine," He sighed once he set the invitation down, "I just thought I had more time...I have one final task to do. It's important and I wanted to do it before the wedding..."

"Well...if it isn't too intrusive may I ask what it is?" Paya set the stack of envelopes down on the free area of Link's desk.

"It was just something...the Goddess tasked me to do. That day I went to the Spring of Wisdom..."

"But Master Link...that was over a month ago. I find it kind of hard to believe you haven't done it since then..." Link shrugged and glanced over at the Master Sword. It was leaning up against the wall besides the old Hylian Shield Link always had equipped. Paya followed Link's gaze and put two and two together. She touched his shoulder gently before speaking once more. "If you'd like, and if you allow me to, I could...act in your place for a short while today. While you go out and...do whatever it is you have to do." Link's ears twitched upward as he looked up at Paya in disbelief. "I'm...sure I will be able to handle everything for a little while. Grandmother has begun preparing me for the day I become the next leader of the Sheikah and I believe I am capable of handling the Kingdom for a day." Link shot up from his seat and hugged Paya, who blushed profusely as she hugged him back.

"Thank you, Paya." Link signed quickly once he let go of the Sheikah girl. "I'll be back later. I promise it won't be too long!" He grabbed his sword and shield before sprinting to his own room. As always he changed out of his Royal clothing and into his Champion's Tunic. Unlike many other times, he only carried the Master Sword with him. No shield no bow, not even the two weapons given to him by Sidon. No, this was a time for him and his sword. With everything ready, Link took out his Sheikah Slate and a moment later and Link was standing at the shrine near the Woodland stable.

It was midday and sun bounced beautifully off the light blue blade of the sword. Link held the legendary weapon tightly in his hand as he made his way up to the path to the very entrance of the Lost Woods. He knew nothing would attack him, but holding the sword made him feel less...exposed. Less lonely.

The fog thickened as he drew closer and closer to the forest's entrance. The temperature dropped slightly and Link could now see his breath. The sun had mysteriously vanished yet the Master Sword continued to glow and give off a vibrant light. This was it. He was only a short walk away from returning the blade that has protected him on his long and dangerous journey. He wouldn't see it until the next time Hyrule needed him...

"Master." The voice was very faint but Link still heard it. Link looked around for a moment before his eyes settled on the Master Sword. "As your blade throughout the ages, I have a very strong connection with you. Right now that connection is indicating that your stress levels are rising considerably, with that may come a sudden loss of direction. Would you like me to show you the way to the Korok Forest?" Hylia, the voice was just as he remembered it. A monotone gone yet still somewhat endearing. She spoke an old, dead language. One used far before the creation of Hyrule. One Link shouldn't be able to understand as easily as he did yet he could.

"Fi." The name hit him suddenly. He recalled hearing her voice, hearing her tell Link her name, the very first time he tried to make his way through the confusing and foggy forest. Fi, the spirit within the sword, had shown herself. She had helped Link claim his sword. Now she was talking to him once more so Link could return her to her resting place. "Yes." Link thought to himself. He was certain Fi could hear his thoughts, they had a connection after all! "Show me the way. And...show yourself."

"While I cannot leave the Master Sword," something shimmered by a tree and suddenly, she appeared, "I can offer this projection of how my physical form once looked. Shall we make our way trough the forest?" Link laughed breathlessly and nodded. Fi nodded back and began floating backwards, leading Link through the forest.

"Fi, what is...how long until...I come back and I take the Master Sword again?" Link asked, looking up at the somewhat transparent spirit.

"Judging from preexisting information on your previous tasks as Hero and Ganon's current state, I estimate it will not be for another two hundred years." Link nodded, looking down at the sword. "The connection is informing me that you are currently wondering if I ever become displeased with waiting so long. I do not. As a spirit inhabiting the sword I do not awaken until you are reborn. However I myself would not even call this being awake. While I am not asleep, per se, I am not awake. I am simply here and I do not mind that."

"That's good." Link smiled just a bit. He had forgotten that Fi could practically read his thoughts. "Do you...do you believe I will see my Zelda again? Or anyone from here again?"

"I calculate a 5% chance that you will see anyone from this era again. You cannot access the Sacred Realm once the Master Sword is returned to its place in the pedestal, so the chances of you seeing the Zelda from here are zero. However there is a 80% chance you may see descendants from this era in the future." Fi lowered herself closer to the ground once the two of them reached the gigantic, hollowed out log. "We have reached the entrance to the Korok Forest. I will now recall this projection."

"Stay. Please. It's nice talking to the sword that saved my skin so many. And perhaps you miss seeing your Link. I know I'm not him but at the very least I look like him."

"As you wish, Master." The protection rippled and Fi slowly moved to Link's side. The Hylian King smiled and the two made their way into the forest. The fog lifted instantaneously and the sun shone right in Link's face. He could hear the wooden wind chime-like noise of the Korok's coming from all directions. His smile grew wider.

"Ah." The Great Deku Tree yawned as Link approached the place where the Master Sword once rested. "You've returned. What a wonderful surprise, Hestu was beginning to believe you'd forgotten all about us." Link smiled awkwardly and looked down at the three Silent Princesses in front of him. The Deku Tree hummed and resumed talking once more. "I sense a great deal of turmoil within you, Link."

"I've come to return the Master Sword. The Goddesses instructed me to do so..." The Great Deku Tree hummed as Link unsheathed the sword and examined it.

"I was beginning to wonder when you'd place it back on its pedestal. But I suppose it was still needed after the battle with the darkness." The Hylian King nodded stiffly as he looked back up at the Deku Tree. He quickly glanced at Fi, who was floating quietly besides him, out of the corner of his eye.

"The problem with this is I don't want to put it back. Without this sword I feel like...nothing."

"That is quite an unsettling mindset, though is expected from someone like yourself. All your life you were conditioned to believe that this very sword was meant to be attached to your hand at all times. If not, then you wouldn't be the Hero sent by the Goddesses. However, that is not true. Not in the slightest." The Koroks began surrounding Link and Fi. Link wasn't sure if the Koroks, or anyone besides him for that matter, could see the spirit of the sword but they sure did act like the could. "With or without your sword you are a hero. You are still the legend passed down from generation to generation." The Koroks began excitedly chattering. Link couldn't make out much of what they were saying but he did catch a few of them exclaiming 'Yes! Mr.Hero will always be a Hero!'

"While it is true that the blade you wield plays a major and crucial part in keeping the darkness away, you play an even bigger role. Without you the sword is simply a sword. Without you, there would be no one with courage as divine as the Goddess Farore to go up against an enemy as old as Hyrule itself. Without you the land we live in would not exist. I believe you should, perhaps, think about those truths rather than the ones you've made yourself believe. You are not nothing without the Master Sword, you will still continue to be Link. You will still continue to be the legendary Hero of Hyrule."

"If I may, Master Link." Fi spoke, turning to face the Hylian King. "The Ancient Deku Tree speaks all truth. The blade you hold in your hand does not decrease your status as Hero or a person of great importance. In all the times I have been returned to my place in the pedestal the fragments of the Triforce you carry have remained with you thus keeping you as the chosen one." Link smiled ever so slightly as Fi's monotone voice explained to Link how he will always technically be a hero.

"Are you ready my boy?" Link nodded and held his sword close to his face. Pressing his forehead to the cold blade, Link let a few small tears fall. He really shouldn't be getting so emotional over a sword but he was. "Whenever you are ready simply return the sword to its rightful place. Once it is back you will no longer retrieve it. Not until the next life that is." Another nod and Link let out a shaky breath.

Gripping the handle tightly, Link slowly lowered the top into the hole on the pedestal. Fi's projection rippled and became more transparent than before. The Hylian Hero slowly plunged his sword deeper into the pedestal and with each inch, the image of Fi grew weaker. As the sword finally began reaching its limit, Fi slowly floated to the front of Link and bowed her head.

"It was a pleasure seeing you again, Master Link. I hope to see you soon." With that the tip reached the bottom and Fi's projection vanished. The voice in the sword grew silent and the blade's shining blue light grew dull. The blue light was instead replaced with a low golden light that came from the pedestal itself. Though Link knew that the spirit in the sword could no longer hear him, he still closed his eyes and spoke silently to her in his mind.

"See you later, old friend."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143K 1.4K 20
A stranger interrupts the Champion ceremony claiming to know what everyone's fates are during the outcome of Ganon's return. With all exits sealed of...
53K 1.8K 39
After being forced back together after an unanticipated attack on Hyrule Castle, Link and Zelda thought that the torment was finally over. However, w...
3K 121 19
Hyrule has been restored to a blissful state, but danger lurks between the shadows. Of wanting bloodshed strewn across Hyrule. Will the Queen of Hyru...
35.2K 957 18
!!! THIS IS NOT THE SEQUEL TO THE REWRITE OF HIS CHAMPION, THIS IS THE ORIGINAL SEQUEL !!! This is the sequel to His Champion. Link has just defeate...