Cherry Blossom Snow

By FerretLord

A humorous original tale of love, courage, diplomacy, politics, furry aliens, space travel, self-discovery, t... More

Prologue
Alien Abduction
Leaving Earth
Growing Up
Peace Between Worlds
Added Company
A Series of Easily Avoidable Conflicts
The United Galactic Confederation
Seraphim
A New Beginning
A Brief Encounter
The Intergalactic Trading Corporation
Negotiations
Nikita
New Home
Alice
Compassion and Understanding
A Long Overdue Reunion
Friendship
Politics as Usual
The Stone
Power Struggles
Heist Plan
Extreme Measures
Breaking Point
Experiments
No Turning Back
Diplomacy
Moving On
Rico
Investigation
Family Matters
Chikara
Acting Governor
Segue
Under New Leadership
Vengeance
Independence
Back Home
Resistance
Zorislava
Germany
Fall of Empires
Covert Operations
Conflict Resolution
Mirienna's Job
Parting Ways
Epilogue

A Change of Pace

240 4 0
By FerretLord

As the motorcycle came to a stop, the intruder, tall and lean, dismounted with a grace that defied the chaos he had just caused. His lightly tanned skin bore the marks of adventure, and his attire, a sleeveless green shirt and black jeans, seemed dirty and pungent. He wore a necklace with a small locket, and on his upper right arm was a tattoo of a færie. Atop his head was a black velvet beret, and in his arms, an assault rifle. Removing his sunglasses, his angry green eyes scanned the room, noticing a terrified, scrawny, pale child with long white hair. As he approached her, she stared nervously, trembling in fear. He pulled down the balaclava covering his face, hoping to seem more personable and less intimidating. He smiled, but his gaze remained stern. He squatted down to meet her eye level. He held out a piece of paper. "My name is Dalziel O'Shaughnessy," he began, his voice surprisingly calm. "I've got a warrant for the arrest of Kenneth O'Reilly. Who might you be?"

She hesitated for a moment. "Mia Donegal."

"I've no record of anyone by that name living here now," said Dalziel.

"Well, 'tis the name I'll be going by now, so it is."

"So it is. To be clear, I wouldn't be a fan of police or their work, but after I'd learned of the charges against him, I needed to take action."

"So, you're not with the police?"

Dalziel shook his head, his expression softening just a touch. "No, I just directed a raid on a Royal Irish Constabulary barracks and incidentally encountered the arrest warrant, which seemed to be based on deeply disturbing but credible evidence, so I came here to deal with him."

"I'll be saving you some time, then. My parents are dead. I killed them. I am not sorry for it. If I must be punished now I'll accept that, but I regret only that I did not do it sooner."

Dalziel nodded solemnly, his understanding evident. "I'll not be blaming you," he assured her. "Surely, when such young children kill their parents, if not by accident, there'll be good reason for doing so. I'll not be inquiring further. However, I can't be leaving you here all alone, so you'll be coming with me."

Dalziel took Mia outside and made preparations for her to accompany him, loaning her his sunglasses to provide some protection against sunlight. He took the beret off his head, revealing messy black hair underneath, and gave the hat to Mia for additional cover.

During the motorcycle trip, Mia took the opportunity to admire the scenery. Dublin was a city of crumbling ruins and creaking old buildings. War, poverty, and neglect had taken their toll on the grand metropolis, which was slowly being reclaimed by the wilderness. The buildings were still there, but it was impossible to ignore the half-hidden traps and defenses that had been installed over the years by the inhabitants. Old graffiti covered the crumbling walls, and long vines and creepers had sprouted up on the roofs and windowsills. Trees had begun to take root in the cracked and uneven streets, and weeds and low bushes had started to grow where sidewalks once had been. The occasional wild animal would roam the ruins, but it was easy to avoid them and not be bothered.

Dalziel took Mia to a campground at Phoenix Park, where trucks mounted with heavy machine guns guarded the perimeter. They passed by many other people, tents, and trucks as Dalziel guided Mia toward a staff flying the flag of Ireland. Leaning against the pole was someone who looked very much like a slightly younger, somewhat friendlier, and significantly happier version of Dalziel.

"Who's that?" he inquired.

Dalziel introduced her with a straightforward explanation, "This'll be Mia. She's an orphan I picked up from a crime scene."

The young man extended a warm greeting, "Hello, Mia. I'm Leith."

The observation of their striking resemblance wasn't lost on Mia, who couldn't help but comment, "You two are brothers, aren't you?"

Leith nodded with a smile. "We are," he confirmed. "People are always saying we look a lot alike."

"You wear matching necklaces," she observed.

Leith took off his necklace and opened the locket. Inside were two small photographs. On the left was a picture of their parents, and on the right was a picture of Dalziel and Leith together as children.

"Are you two close?" asked Mia.

Leith's answer was simple but filled with warmth. "Very."

"Please round up my lieutenants," said Dalziel.

Leith nodded in acknowledgment. "No problem," he replied, already setting into motion the task his brother had entrusted him with. He soon returned with four other people.

"Thank you," Dalziel said. "You are dismissed. As for the rest of you, I'd like to be introducing you to Mia Donegal. She'll be staying with us until we figure out what we'll be doing with her."

"Hello," said Mia.

"These are my trusted lieutenants. You'll be getting to know the others in due time. But for now, as long as you know these four, you'll be fine. I guarantee they'll keep you safe. If you'll be having any problems with any of the others and can't find me, tell one of them and they'll handle it. Now please allow them to introduce themselves."

"I'm Lochiel," said a slender, sun burnt man, with a hint of a Scottish accent. He had two distinctive scars going down the right side of his face, which he mostly concealed with his long, flowing red hair. "I'm a Catholic and sharpshooter."

"Kearny," said a tall, tan, muscular, athletic man with short black hair. "Protestant. Former Unionist. Changed sides."

"He don't talk much," said Lochiel. "Don't let his bland expression fool you. He likes having fun like anyone else. He's not hiding his emotions; he's just not good at expressing them."

"Right he is," said Kearny.

"My name is Caoimhe," said a small, rose-skinned, freckled woman with a shaved head. She wore a tank top and jeans, and her arms were covered with tattoos. "I'm a chemist and historian, and also a decent fighter. That being said, I'm a mostly peaceful, nature-loving pagan, and I'm not inclined to cause harm if I'll not be needing to."

"And last will be Seán," said Dalziel. "Our sub-lieutenant."

"That would be me," said the last, whose appearance was as unimportant as his personality. "I was their first recruit. I've only got authority as a tie-breaker or in the absence of those in charge. I'll basically just be a backup. Also Catholic."

"Everyone here has mentioned their religion," Mia said to Dalziel. "What about you?"

"Whatever gets me through the day," said Dalziel.

Mia's curiosity continued to drive her questions as she sought to understand more about the group she had found herself amidst. "So, what do you call yourselves?" she inquired.

"As of the most recent Army Convention, we're known as the Dublin Brigade of the New Real Official Provisional Continuity Socialist Irish Republican Army."

"That's a rather long name."

"All the shorter ones were already taken."

Mia wandered around the camp trying to familiarize herself with the setting and the people. As it got dark, Mia returned the sunglasses to Dalziel, as it became easier for her to see without them. That evening, there was a live performance of some traditional Irish folk music, including many songs that Mia was familiar with, starting with The Rising of the Moon just as the Moon rose in the sky. Although her eyes couldn't make out details, she was still able to admire the sight of the Moon's lush, green forests and deep, blue oceans. She hoped someday to go there, but her priorities had to remain on Earth. The music continued for hours, and Mia was delighted to join in singing along to the chorus of Óró sé do bheatha abhaile. When Mia started to feel tired, she found Caoimhe. Before drawing her attention, Mia stared for a few moments at the elegant and colorful tattoos covering Caoimhe's arms.

"I'm sleepy," said Mia. "I forgot to ask where I'll be sleeping."

Caoimhe smiled kindly and reassured her, "You came to the right person, then. It has been deemed best for you to be sharing a tent with me, as I am our highest-ranking female member."

Caoimhe guided Mia to the tent they were going to share. "'Tisn't much, I know," said Caoimhe. "Still, 'twill suffice. I'll be keeping you safe."

"You and Dalziel have both expressed the importance of keeping me safe," said Mia, "but I know there isn't really much military action around here. Do you not trust your own people?"

"Don't be misunderstanding. I trust them with my life. Still, better safe than sorry."

"I see. Well, 'tis a nice place. I do like it here."

"I'll not be prying into your past. As for your future, that'll be what you make of it. I'll not be forcing you to take our side in any of this conflict. However, I'll gladly be training you if you're interested."

Mia's eyes brightened with determination. "I'd like that," she declared. "I want to do what I can to make the world a better place."

Caoimhe's smile showed her approval of Mia's attitude. "That's good, but remember there's more to life."

"What sorts of things do you do for fun?" asked Mia.

"I like board games," said Caoimhe. "And I enjoy reading."

Mia's face lit up with enthusiasm. "I also enjoy reading."

"That's good. Don't stop. There aren't a lot of people, children especially, who like reading in this day and age. And that's unfortunate."

"What about you?" asked Mia.

"I've loved reading since I was very young. I rather like history, but I've also always had particular fondness for chemistry."

"Didn't you say you were a chemist?"

"I am," said Caoimhe. "When I was about six, my parents, noticing that I liked reading about chemistry, thought 'twould be a good idea to be getting me a cheap chemistry set. I had so much fun with it, and I knew that was what I wanted to do with my life. I went to school, earned degrees, and found my place here making explosives, poison, and occasionally medicine."

"Why do you shave your head?"

Caoimhe's response was lighthearted but practical. "Long hair is a fire hazard," she explained. "Learned that the hard way."

"How did you come to be part of this group?"

"I was always a bit of a radical, but it was the writings of James Connolly that showed me that I needed to be an intellectual socialist, not a socialist intellectual. I encountered a small and disorganized group of rebels who were in search of a comrade with an advanced science degree. Myself being the only such person they were able to find. Through them I made other connections, and together with Dalziel, Leith, Kearny, and Lochiel, we organized this brigade."

"Before today, I'd never met so many people," said Mia. "My father liked to keep me hidden away. Actually, before today, I'd never left the house."

"Oh, you've got a lot to see. There's a big world out there. Much of it being terrible, but you'll be finding beautiful things and good people if you're knowing where to look. And while I must admit the world seems to be getting worse every day, there's still enough good left to make it worthwhile."

"I would like to see more of the world," said Mia.

"And remember, this is just one world of many," said Caoimhe. "There's too many out there to count."

Mia's curiosity was piqued. "Have you ever been to any of them?"

"I have, but 'twas so long ago. I was born and raised in Kilkenny. When I was about your age, my parents brought me with them on a business trip to space. Come on; let's go outside so I can show you something."

Mia followed Caoimhe outside, where the night sky stretched above them. Caoimhe pointed to the northern sky and identified a celestial object. "That's the North Star, Gamma Cephei."

Mia strained to see it, acknowledging, "I think I can see it. My eyesight isn't very good, though."

Caoimhe reassured her, "We'll be helping you with that soon. Gamma Cephei is actually two stars, there being a smaller, red one orbiting the large orange one. Anyway, in that system is a large planet called Tadmor, which although uninhabited has an orbital station, and I've been there."

Mia's eyes widened in wonder. "Wow."

Caoimhe continued her story, "From the spaceport, we went to the Tadmor station. We boarded a spaceship that brought us into orbit around a planet called Beilufa. We were only there briefly before we boarded yet another spaceship that brought us to another planet called Qenjfis."

Mia was captivated. "What was that like?"

"'Tis a beautiful place. I can't even begin to describe it. The people were so kind and welcoming, as I'd expect of the home world of the legendary Trakshmalav Zafquilyad. Another great creative, scholarly, and revolutionary inspiration who lived about nine hundred thousand years ago and became one of the most remarkable and influential figures ever to live in this galaxy. But that's a story for another time."

"Did you ever think of going to another world to stay?" asked Mia.

"Visiting is one thing," said Caoimhe. "But Earth is my home."

They returned to the tent.

"I'm still not accustomed to the outside world, so pardon me for asking," said Mia, "but why are you fighting?"

"To understand the situation, one must understand the past conflict between England and Ireland, resulting from England's longstanding aggressive imperialism," said Caoimhe. "So, 'tis good to know, as those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. While England had been claiming sovereignty over Ireland since 1169, they did not exercise full control until 1541. 'Twas largely the unsuccessful revolt of Wolfe Tone and the United Irishmen in 1798 that fueled the decision to pass the Acts of Union in 1800, which formally incorporated Ireland into the United Kingdom. This was followed by many more rebellions, including the Easter Rising of 1916, which although unsuccessful led to a surge in support for Irish independence. From the ashes of defeat rose the Irish Republican Army, which would later split into many factions that unfortunately don't always get along."

"How does this relate to modern times?" asked Mia.

"A lot happened, with conflict happening on and off, but mostly subsiding after World War IV. It was the tyranny of King Lubin II trying to tighten his grip on Ireland that reignited the spark of rebellion, seeing a surge in recruitment as Saoirse O'Shaughnessy rallied people to the cause."

"I think I've heard of her."

"As you should have," said Caoimhe. "Her being quite a force to be reckoned with. A British Prince volunteered to meet with her, hoping for a diplomatic solution. Long story short, they fell in love, got married, and had two sons, Dalziel and Leith. After that, the British Army had to send someone else to negotiate a ceasefire. She would be granted amnesty, and he would be stripped of all Royal titles and privileges. Her group was forced to disband, but the members would not be subject to criminal charges. That, of course, ensured that the fight would be able to continue when the British government inevitably broke its word."

"So, where will I be sleeping?"

"Well, for tonight, we'll be sharing a sleeping bag," said Caoimhe. "Is that fine with you?"

"It is," said Mia.

"I'll be trying to get you your own tomorrow. We have got a bit of a shortage on supplies."

"I understand. No worries."

Caoimhe got into her sleeping bag and Mia joined her. Caoimhe provided Mia with the sort of warmth and comfort a loving mother might provide, softly singing Báidín Fheilimí as Mia drifted to sleep. In the morning, Mia awoke while Caoimhe was still sleeping. Caoimhe had her arms wrapped around Mia, and she had to struggle to break free. Caoimhe was much stronger than she seemed, and Mia was surprised that she maintained such a tight grip even while sleeping. However, none of Mia's struggling woke her. After a while, the struggling helped to loosen Caoimhe's grip, allowing Mia to free herself. She stood up, and sneezed. Caoimhe woke up, grabbed a gun, and hurried to her feet.

"So," said Mia, "what now?"

"We'll be finding the answer to this and many more mysteries soon," said Caoimhe. "But first, we should be feeding you."

Mia put on her shoes and the beret Dalziel gave her. Caoimhe then took Mia by the hand and guided her to the back of a line behind other members of the brigade.

"What's this line for?" asked Mia.

"Food," replied Caoimhe.

"What kind of food?"

"To my knowledge, we've got potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, so probably some combination of those. And if I'm not mistaken, there should still be plenty of spices."

"That sounds amazing," said Mia.

"Not exceptionally," said Caoimhe. "We've usually got a greater variety, but we'll be restocking soon."

"I'm not used to having real food. I was usually fed on bread, vitamin supplements, and water. Sometimes, I'd be treated to something nice on special occasions, but those were few and far between."

"I hope you'll be living a long life and experience many types of food," said Caoimhe. "Love may be the greatest thing this world has to offer, but good food comes in close second."

"What's so great about love?"

"Everything. While I'm asexual, there are many other forms of love, like the bonds of romance, respect, friendship, community, and comradery, and they'll just have to be experienced to be adequately understood, as no description can do justice."

"Oh. So, if love and food are the two best things in life, what's third?"

"Art, be it visual, auditory, or any one of its many other forms," said Caoimhe. "Fourth is knowledge, also in fifth, sixth, seventh, ninth, and tenth place, because there's so much to be learned."

"What about eighth place?" asked Mia. "You skipped over it."

Caoimhe chuckled. "Sleep."

Later, after they were fed, the two sat down to discuss plans. "So, is this how normal life is for normal people?" Mia asked.

"'Tis pretty rare to be having this many people in one place who can actually get along reasonably well," said Caoimhe. "Other than that, though, it is, more or less."

"I'm still trying to sort out how to live life," said Mia.

"I imagine you've had a difficult life, and it must be confusing to adjust," said Caoimhe. "I admit I don't know the details of your past, but I don't need to. If you want to tell me, you can, and if not, I understand."

"The past is something I'll not be wanting to think about. At all. Ever."

Caoimhe respected Mia's boundaries. "That's fine. I'll not be inquiring further."

"There aren't any other children here, are there?"

"We've got a few people who aren't quite adults yet," said Caoimhe. "But no children. Children shouldn't be made to fight wars. They should be able to be children."

"So, you're saying I don't belong here?" asked Mia.

"That's not what I was trying to say. But it is true. We've got to find something to do with you eventually, but now is not the time. For now, at least, this is your home. I'm here to help you make it feel like one."

Mia expressed her contentment with her current situation. "'Tis good enough as it is."

"You know, we've only barely met, but I really like you," said Caoimhe. "I like spending time with children, but I've never seriously considered having any of my own. There's just something about you. Already, you feel like part of our family here."

"Family?"

"Oh, I think of these people as my family."

"I'd like to be getting to know some of the others," said Mia.

"Where would you like to start?"

"I guess with Dalziel and Leith. Leith I encountered only briefly. I spent plenty of time with Dalziel. He's kind, but feels sort of distant."

"No matter how much you get to know Dalziel, he'll still feel distant," said Caoimhe. "That's just how he is. Let's go see what he's up to."

They found Dalziel without too much trouble, as he was tending to a minor cut on Leith's hand. They decided to keep quiet and watch.

"Always remember to exercise caution," Dalziel said as he carefully applied antiseptic to Leith's wound.

Leith defended himself, explaining, "I was just reading a book. I was turning the page, and the paper cut me. That's all."

"Everything carries its risks," said Dalziel, applying a bandage. "That's why you've got to be careful."

Leith tried to reassure his brother, saying, "You're overreacting."

Dalziel, however, remained steadfast in his concern. "Maybe, but I'll always be worrying about you."

"I'll be fine," Leith insisted.

Dalziel hugged Leith, and noticed Mia and Caoimhe staring.

"Do you two need something?" asked Dalziel.

"We didn't want to interrupt," said Caoimhe. "I was showing Mia around some more and she was hoping to be getting to know some more people better. She figured she'd be starting with the two of you."

"I'd love to help, but now is not the time," said Dalziel. "Leith and I are going to be getting more supplies."

"Where do you get them?" asked Mia.

"A new supply shipment actually just came in from Germany, so I'm eager to see what they brought," said Dalziel. "We're vehemently opposed to everything they stand for. However, they're seeking to destabilize the British Empire, and to accomplish this, they offer us free arms and supplies. Obviously, 'tis just a part of their own imperialist scheme. We'd be foolish not to see it for what it is."

"Then why accept it?" asked Mia.

"We'd be even more foolish to turn down free aid," said Dalziel. "Our two contacts seem to be a couple, and from what I understand, they work to sabotage the system from within. As part of that, they keep us updated about any useful inside information."

"I guess I understand. Before you go, I should be giving you your hat back." Mia took the black beret off her head and presented it to Dalziel.

"Keep it. It suits you better."

"Take care, now," said Caoimhe.

"I guess if they'll be busy, let's try Lochiel and Kearny," said Mia.

"They're usually together," said Caoimhe. "I know those two are good friends. Personally, though, I have trouble getting along with them."

"Why is that?"

"I'm not really sure. Anyway, let's go find them."

When they found Lochiel and Kearny, Lochiel was busy cleaning his rifle and Kearny was lifting weights.

"Hello, you two," said Caoimhe. "Mia was hoping she could get to know you better."

"Busy," said Kearny.

"Not interested," said Lochiel.

"You think, maybe they don't like me?" asked Mia.

"I'm not thinking that's it," said Caoimhe. "They're just unsociable. As far as I can tell, the only people they're close to are each other and Dalziel. Still, I know from experience that when it really counts, I can trust them with my life, so I wouldn't worry. They care, even if they don't show it."

"We can still hear you," said Lochiel. "For the record, though, you're right. We're not used to being around children. I can't be speaking for Kearny, but I personally don't be knowing how to be acting around you. I know you were rescued from a crime scene, so I'd imagine you'd been through some misfortune. I don't be knowing what, and 'tisn't my business to be asking. I don't be knowing what I might be saying or doing that may trigger an emotional response. That, and my being inexperienced with other people in general. I do be feeling the best approach I can be taking is to be keeping unnecessary contact to a minimum and be maintaining a strictly professional relationship with everyone here."

"Same," said Kearny. "Afraid I might say or do something troubling."

"That's fair enough, I suppose," said Caoimhe. "But maybe you could at least be telling her a bit about yourselves."

"I joined this cause after my mother was killed by Crown forces," said Lochiel. "I'd been wanting to join sooner, but she wouldn't allow it because my father died fighting after she'd been trying to dissuade him from ever taking part. My mother was a good woman, and she didn't want anyone to be needing to die, no matter which side they'd be on. As she was dying, I promised her that when this war ends, I'll be done fighting and will never be killing or firing my gun again."

"Mixed martial artist," said Kearny. "Grew up in Ulster supporting the wrong side. Realized I was betraying my fellow Irishmen. Joined up here to atone for past mistakes. Now, go away."

"Is minic a bhris beál duine a shrón," said Caoimhe. "Come on, Mia. Let's go."

"What now?" asked Mia.

"Why don't we go blow some stuff up?"

"That sounds fun."

Caoimhe and Mia went through the camp, collecting some items intended to be discarded while also informing the people they would be conducting tests with explosives outside the camp area. There was plenty of equipment deemed to be damaged beyond repair that was donated to their cause.

They taped dynamite to the items and wired them to a blasting device. Caoimhe then gave Mia the honor of detonating them. Immediately after, they realized they may have had more lasting entertainment if they had set the items up and detonated them one by one, instead of all at once.

"Maybe we could get more stuff," said Mia.

"I don't want to be using up all my dynamite, because I never know when I might be needing it," said Caoimhe. "But how would you like to learn some self-defense?"

"Sounds good," said Mia.

"First things first. Don't be bothering anyone without a valid reason. Once they're behaving violently, you should subdue them immediately by any means necessary. Otherwise, once someone bothers you, first ask them politely, but firmly, to stop."

"And if they don't?" asked Mia.

"Repeat yourself, with greater volume and aggression. Make sure they definitely, fully understand they're bothering you and you're wanting them to stop. Once they're persisting, or once they're posing a clear and immediate threat from the start, only then is it reasonable to throw a punch."

"And if that isn't enough?"

"Then throw a brick. Or just about anything else, really. Have you got a gun?"

"I do." Mia took out her pistol.

"Is it loaded?" asked Caoimhe.

"It is."

"How good a shooter are you?"

"Not very."

"Well, we can work on that. It will take some time, though, and I'm not a very good teacher. For now, just some tips."

"Anything will help."

"Treat every gun as if loaded," said Caoimhe. "Never point it at anyone unless you need to shoot them, only take the safety off when you're about to start shooting, and only put your finger on the trigger when you're actually firing."

"That all seems simple enough," said Mia. "What about the actual shooting?"

"Hold the gun firmly with both hands in front of you when possible."

"What if I'm holding something else in one of my hands?" asked Mia.

"In that case, your best option is keeping the arm you're shooting with fully extended. Always keep the gun upright if possible. Otherwise, you'll not be able to aim properly."

"Where should I aim?" asked Mia.

"As a general rule, don't bother aiming for the head unless you've got a clear shot and know you can make it," said Caoimhe. "In most situations, 'tis best to be aiming for the center of the body, a larger target."

"But isn't a headshot better?"

"Unless they're a professional soldier, as long as you actually hit your target, you'll probably immobilize them or at least slow them down. If they're unconscious after the first shot, you generally shouldn't bother shooting again, but if they have any weapons, be sure to disarm them if possible before leaving them to bleed out, as they typically will soon enough, even from a minor wound left untreated."

"But what if they're too dangerous to be left alive?" asked Mia.

"Don't be wasting bullets on an unconscious victim unless you actually need to make sure they're dead," said Caoimhe. "In that case, your best bet is to be shooting them once more, in the head. An immobilized target is much easier to hit than a moving one, and if you'll be needing to kill them, go for the head if you can. Otherwise, a hit to the center of the body should suffice. But if you'll not be needing to kill them and they're not be a threat while immobilized, don't be wasting bullets."

"This all sounds so complicated," said Mia.

"You should always be ready to kill if you must, but only if you must."

"All right."

Caoimhe notified people that they would be conducting firearms practice. She also had Mia collect some bottles and cans for target practice. When they got outside the camp area, they set up some of the bottles and cans along an old deteriorating brick wall, while setting some aside for later. They backed away.

"Let's see how good you are with that pistol," said Caoimhe.

Mia drew her pistol and attempted to hit a target. She missed. She tried again until the gun was empty.

"Let me try," said Caoimhe.

Mia handed the gun to Caoimhe, who reloaded it. She fired six shots, each hitting a target. She reloaded again and gave the gun back to Mia.

"The gun's working fine," she said. "But a handgun requires practice and discipline. An assault rifle will of course be easier for hitting your target, even with minimal training, but in a combat situation, you shouldn't set one to automatic unless you'll be needing to, like when aiming isn't an option. Otherwise, you'll just be wasting bullets, and if you fire continuously, you'll be running out within seconds. Dalziel's a much better teacher than I am. He's been expressing an interest in training you personally. I'll probably be leaving most of the weapons training up to him. I'll gladly help out, though. Is there anything else you'd like to know about?"

"I'd like to know how to get better with a knife," said Mia.

"A knife takes a lot more skill than a gun," said Caoimhe. "Plus, you've got to get up close and personal. To be good with a knife, you'll be needing strength and dexterity. And, of course, patience. Have you got a knife?"

"I do." Mia took out the switchblade that previously belonged to her father. "'Twas my father's, before I killed him with it."

"So, I take it you've got at least some knowledge of how to use it, then?"

"'Twasn't as smooth and clean as I was expecting."

"Well, no. 'Twill always be messy."

"What's the best place to stab someone to stop them?" asked Mia.

Caoimhe crouched down and took Mia's arm to hold the knife to her own throat. "Either side of the throat will do," said Caoimhe. "Sever the carotid artery and jugular vein. The person will bleed out in minutes. And if you sever the trachea, they'll choke on their own blood. That's if you're wanting to kill them."

"I tried it on my father, but it didn't go as planned," said Mia. "I was under the impression that cutting the throat kills them instantly."

"Unfortunately, real life isn't that simple," said Caoimhe. "If you're not necessarily trying to kill them, but need to immobilize them, a stab wound to the chest or abdomen will subdue the average person. If you're trying to actually avoid killing them, you're using the wrong weapon."

"Suppose I was fighting someone I didn't want to kill," said Mia. "What should I use then?"

"For nonlethal attacks, blunt force is best. You can do just fine with such an approach while unarmed, if you know how to fight. Another lesson for another time."

"Is everything all right?" Dalziel called out from behind them. He approached with Leith by his side.

"Quite fine," Caoimhe said as she stood up. "Just trying to give Mia some fighting tips. I told her you'd be willing to help."

"I can begin training her after taking care of a few other things in her life that need to be handled first," said Dalziel. "Now, didn't you want to talk to me and Leith about something earlier?"

"I wanted to get to know you two better," Mia replied.

"There's not much to be telling about me," said Dalziel. "Aside from work and study, I don't be really having any hobbies. I never was one for games or jokes, and I've no interest in sex or romance. Ireland is my love and my life.

"I wouldn't really know how to describe myself," said Leith, "but feel free to ask questions."

"Have either of you ever been to outer space?" asked Mia.

"Plenty of times," said Leith. "Dalziel and I've been to the Moon a few times and to Venus once."

"I find space travel to be a humbling experience," said Dalziel. "It reminds one of how insignificant these petty Earthly quarrels are. From so far away, it seems hard to believe how many wars have been fought for the conquest of so little, yet imperialists continue to slaughter our people over this tiny piece of land on which we're living."

"If you want it to stop, why not stop fighting?" asked Mia.

"They'll not stop just because we stop," said Dalziel.

"What if they did stop?" asked Mia. "Would you leave them alone then?"

"That'll not happen unless they're forced, but I'd be content to leave them alone then," said Dalziel. "But there would still be others in this world, suffering under different imperial rule."

"And what if they could all be stopped?"

"Then this world may finally know peace," said Dalziel. "Some people assume that war must always exist. And yet, there are civilizations in space that have never even once been to war, and many others that were once as divided and violent as Earth, but were able to bring an end to the fighting and live peacefully."

"I've always wanted to go to space," said Mia.

"I hope someday you can," said Dalziel. "Just don't be counting on it."

"What are your parents like?" asked Mia.

"Our mother was quite the extremist back in the day," said Leith. "When she met our father, who had been sent to negotiate with her, she originally planned to hold him hostage, but somehow they fell in love."

"A peculiar thing happened when they had children," said Dalziel. "Our father wanted English names, while our mother wanted Irish names. They compromised both times and went with Scottish."

"How is that a compromise?" asked Mia.

"An excellent question" said Dalziel. "I don't have an answer. I got our mother's last name, while Leith got our father's. Anyway, I've got some things I'll be needing to work on."

"And I'll be helping," said Leith.

"But don't worry, Mia, we'll still be getting your life in order, so we'll be spending plenty of time together."

After her parents' bodies were removed, but before their deaths were reported, Dalziel took Mia back to her house so she could retrieve what she wanted. Dalziel helped Mia to get anything of significant monetary value she didn't want out of the house and into a vehicle to be sold. In the days that followed, Dalziel helped Mia to create false records of her new identity.

With the assets at her disposal, Mia obtained special contact lenses that not only improved her vision, but also reduced the amount of light entering her very sensitive eyes. In addition, she acquired a multipurpose electronic device that resembled a wrist watch while also serving as a telephone and a computer with a wireless link to her contact lenses, allowing for a convenient augmented reality interface. To further utilize these tools efficiently, she also had them linked to an inconspicuous wireless earpiece. Finally, she acquired an umbrella to protect herself from rain, sunlight, and bullets.

One morning at the camp, while Mia was still sleeping, a package was dropped by a low-flying drone. Lochiel quickly readied his rifle and shot down the drone. The sound of the gunshot and subsequent crash woke Mia and Caoimhe. The package was addressed to Dalziel. Rather than attempt to move the package, Lochiel contacted Dalziel and demanded his presence. Kearny and Caoimhe also arrived at the scene.

"I wasn't sure what to do, so I left it where it landed," said Lochiel.

"Good thinking," said Kearny.

"I may as well open it," said Dalziel.

"That's a terrible idea," said Caoimhe. "You don't know what's in it."

"The drone was definitely a product of the Intergalactic Trading Corporation," said Lochiel.

"Their involvement with anything is never a good sign."

"Someone must be opening it," said Dalziel. "It may as well be me."

Enclosed was a note detailing offers for assistance and where to meet if the offer was accepted. They specifically requested the presence of Dalziel O'Shaughnessy and Lyra O'Reilly only.

"Lyra O'Reilly?" Caoimhe inquired.

"Mia's birth name," said Dalziel.

"What could they possibly be wanting with her?"

"I've no idea."

"Could be a trap," said Kearny.

"I concur," said Lochiel. "'Tis an awfully suspicious situation."

"I'm well aware of the danger," said Dalziel. "Still, 'tis too good an opportunity to be ignoring."

"You're not seriously considering it, are you?" asked Caoimhe.

"If they wanted to kill us, we'd already be dead. I'll be going."

"But you can't take Mia."

"I'll be letting Mia make her own decisions." Dalziel met with Mia to deliver the information. She was drowsy, as she had just woken up. "A shady contractor in India is offering us support," he said.

"Oh," she said, "how much do we need help?"

"Right now, aside from stockpiles at a few specific locations, we've only got the supplies we can carry. We'll be needing all the help we can get."

"Why are you consulting me?"

"They're specifically requesting the presence of only myself and one Lyra O'Reilly."

"Very interesting."

"I'll not be forcing you to take part. The decision is yours."

"I'm in."

"You're not inquiring further?"

"Should I?"

"You should," said Dalziel.

"Then tell me more, so that I make an informed decision that meets your standards," said Mia.

"There's not really much to be telling."

"Then tell me what there is to tell."

"I'll just be letting you read the note yourself." He handed her the note and she looked it over.

"So, 'tis good enough for me," she said. "What do the others think?"

"The others think this is a bad idea."

"Do you?"

"I do."

"Then why do you intend to go through with it?"

"Because I've not got a better idea," said Dalziel. "I'll be talking things over more with the others. Let me know if you change your mind."

Caoimhe returned to the tent. "I know you want to help, but you don't have to do this."

"But I want to be part of it," said Mia.

"I know," said Caoimhe. "And if you really want to, I will support your decision. I just feel that you really need to be thinking more carefully about it. Warfare is not something to be taken lightly."

"I know," said Mia. "You've already told me."

"I actually rather like teaching you and spending time with you. I'd be honored if you were to fight alongside us. But even if that's the path you choose, you're not ready yet."

"I think I am."

"No, you're not." Caoimhe hugged Mia. "I'm not trying to insult you. I just want you to be safe. I love you."

"I love you, too, but I can handle this."

"You need to understand that living with us really isn't safe."

"It seems fine to me," said Mia.

"Sure, you haven't been in any serious danger yet, but you also haven't been to Ulster," said Caoimhe. "We'll be heading there in the not too distant future."

"I'm willing to take whatever risks I'll be needing to."

"You're not understanding. The life of a soldier is no life for a child. You need to be able to go to school, play with others your age, and be a child."

"My childhood died long ago."

"I just want what's best for you," said Caoimhe.

"I know," said Mia. "But you haven't got any need to worry."

"I'm still going to, because what you really need, I just don't think we can provide."

"I think you've been providing exactly what I need."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

0 0 9
Five teenagers wake up on a spaceship bound for a new planet with no memories of their past lives, but ALL the emotional baggage. Follow these goofy...
395 150 50
Just some random short stories about a lot of different topics.
110 3 8
WRITTEN BY 1soggybowloframen and WackyPegasus !!!! It's gay. It's an adventure. It's in space. When Rania's twin brother Zyren goes missing, it's up...
4.6K 401 17
A dutiful, ace soldier from Mars faces a dilemma. She can accept an offer from an infuriating gen-eng man from Venus, grab her loyal cat + dig up her...