Under the Gray Willow Tree

By angelyntjf

Meet Willow Rayne, the girl who lost her family on that one fateful day. And now, meet Gray Lopez, the guy wi... More

Foreword
Tapas
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Epilogue

Chapter 19

6.2K 86 13
By angelyntjf

"Thank you for the ride, Mister," I said teasingly formally to Gray.

He rolled his eyes. "You know, if you said that out loud in public, I'd probably say 'I don't know her' to everyone who walks past us?"

I chuckled at his remark. "Anyways, want to come over for dinner?"

He nodded in reply. "Sure. I'd love to."

"Okay. See you then!" I replied.

He wound the windows back up. I waved to him from outside the car, and he mouthed the word 'bye' back to me instead. Or maybe he said it but it was just too soft for me to hear it. I watched as he drove down the road, and disappeared from my sight.

I turned my heel and walked back into the apartment building. I stopped outside my apartment door as I searched for my keys. Once I found it, I thrust the slightly rusted metal key into the keyhole and turned the lock. I heard the lock clicked – indicating that it's unlocked – and twisted the doorknob, and opened the door.

I went straight into my room without stopping at any place else to get a snack or whatever, and plopped onto my bed. I immediately took off my gloves. Then, I forcefully pulled out my boots, but it didn't budge. After several more vain attempts, I realised that my shoelace wasn't untied yet. Scowling, I untied it and pulled the shoe off.

Ah! This feels so much better!

I massaged my aching feet for a while, before glancing at the clock. 6.07 pm. Wow! We wasted about six hours for nothing! What a waste of time. I shouldn't have suggested that idea. Now, I feel so guilty for stealing six hours of Gray's time.

And aside from that, I've probably made him very tired and hot and sweaty and all .And maybe sleepy too. With aching muscles. Because that's definitely how I feel.

So, you know what? Time for a bath!

I got off my bed and made a beeline for the bathroom, and closed the door behind me. I began stripping myself of all my clothes before stepping into the warm and nice shower. The wonderful warm water came in contact with my bare skin, and I felt a surge of relief coursing through my veins, unknotting my muscles at the same time.

So much better.

The shower made me forget all the terrible things that have happened to me up to now. It totally cleared my mind. And I actually feel kind of grateful for it. I've never felt this calm before, not like the past few weeks – or even years – or so.

I could feel a comforting and slightly peaceful warmth spread throughout my body. I felt... I felt... What's that word? Oh, oh right. I felt... Bliss.

And it also made me feel the happiest I've felt since the accident that happened roughly three years ago.

~~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~~

"Hey! What's cooking?" Gray asked, trying in vain to make it sound humorous the way he says it, planting a kiss on my cheek at the same time, something he's rarely done since... I don't know when.

"Chinese. I hope you don't mind, but I haven't eaten Chinese food in a long time."

My mum used to cook Chinese all the time. She picked up the skill as she loves cooking, and she'd go for courses all the time. And she taught me a few things along the way. And I might've picked up a few of her secrets as well. I also have not eaten Chinese food since... Oh, I don't know. I also don't want to think about it.

He chuckled and kissed me once more, but this time, it was a peck on the lips. "Oh, I don't mind at all. Don't you know how much I love Chinese?"

"Was that sarcasm I sensed there?" I accused.

"Nope," came his reply, with him popping the 'p' as well.

"Okay..." I said, sounding unsure of what he just said, with a hint of accusation in my tone of voice.

He gasped overdramatically. "So you don't believe me?" he exclaimed, mocking both horror and shock.

That question totally caught me off guard. It totally stunned me, because that was precisely the question I've been asking myself for the past few... Weeks? I guess.

I hesitated before answering the question. "Err..."

He sighed. "So you don't huh..." he commented, not sounding surprised at all, but still sounding a little hurt. "I didn't expect you to anyways; I shouldn't be surprised, not at all. I mean, what with all the lies I have been telling you recently..."

"N... No... I d... Do trust you..." I stuttered, trailing off.

"But just not enough to believe you entirely..." a small voice in my head finished the sentence for me.

"And besides, they're technically not lies. They're more like untold truths..." I added as an afterthought, not wanting him to feel too guilty about it. "You couldn't help it anyway."

"I could... And untold truths are a lot worse than lies," I heard him mutter.

I sighed, and turned to look back into the pot of watercress soup I have been stirring. I was supposed to just let it boil, but I wanted to distract myself in one way or another. I switched off the fire.

"All done," I announced to no one in particular.

I scooped up two bowls of soup, and laid it out carefully on the table along with all the other dishes: mixed vegetables, ginger chicken and garlic rice. Very Chinese, but still...

And I'm sure a lot of people are wondering why I always have at least one vegetable dish on the table. Well, that's because I believe in a healthy diet. I don't want to eat an unhealthy one and fall sick all because I don't eat a balanced diet.

The two of us ate in total silence, which was rather awkward, because I never remembered my home to be so quiet before. No, I definitely never.

After we were all done with dinner – as well as the dishes – we both went into the living room and sat awkwardly at the two opposite ends of the sofa.

After a while, I couldn't stand the silence anymore. "Why are we being so quiet?" I joked, trying to lighten up the mood.

He shrugged, with no words coming out of his mouth.

I sighed and tried again. "So, what do you want to talk about?"

Once again, he shrugged with no words, as if trying to give me the silent treatment.

Which was rather childish, to tell you the truth.

And I sighed for the third time that evening.

"You know, sighing too much is not good for you."

I looked up and saw Gray with a huge and goofy grin on his face. Which made me giggle, but only for a while.

"So... I have a question for you Willow," he said.

"Shoot!"

"What did you find in the office?"

I stared at him curiously, debating if I should tell him about the folder that I had found. The folder that I still haven't opened yet. Should I? Or should I not? I went for the latter.

"Nothing too interesting for you..." I replied, carefully choosing my words.

And that is pretty true, isn't it?

"Well, I found this. I thought you might want to have a look at it"

He reached inside his jacket and pulled out a medium sized, yellowed with age, envelope and handed it to me. I looked at the cover curiously, examining it carefully, cocking my head a little at the same time. It had my father's name and our old address written on it. But... Why?

"You can go ahead and open it and read it," he urged.

As much as my fingers were itching to rip open the seal and to read whatever is on the inside, I resisted against the urge to do so. So instead, I shook my head.

"No. I'll open it later. I prefer to be alone when I read it," I told him, trying to keep my face straight.

He looked crestfallen at my reply. But I can't be very sure. Because once again, the look on his face disappeared in the blink of an eye. How he somehow always manages to hide all his emotions so well, is still a great, big mystery to me.

And I am not really the best detective, note that. If anything, I'm the worst.

"Well of course. Do it whenever you want to. You don't have to rush."

"Thank you for your understanding."

I sighed for the millionth time that evening – well, it was actually only the fourth time, but still – and adverted my eyes from Gray's face, to the envelope in my hands. Suddenly, out of the blues, a phone started ringing. Gray pulled out his phone from the inner pockets of his jacket and glanced at the screen.

"I'm sorry, but I have to take this. Is it okay with you?"

I nodded, not wanting to say anything.

"I'll only be a minute."

He picked up the call and started talking to whoever it was over the phone.

"Hello?"

Silence. I know I'm not supposed to be eavesdropping, but I just simply feel way too curious for my own good.

"Yes, I've got it."

Silence. Then, he shook his head.

"No, I don't think she has it."

Silence.

"Oh, in that case, there's a chance she does.

Silence, then he nodded his head.

"Yeah, I've got it."

Silence.

"I'm sorry, I can't come over now."

Silence.

"Yes, I am."

Silence.

"And no, I did not ransack your place."

Silence.

"Maybe someone else did."

Silence.

"Yeah, I'll make sure she reads it."

Silence.

"Okay, noted."

Silence.

"Bye."

He hung up the phone and replaced it in his pocket.

"Who was that?" I asked curiously.

He smiled back at me. "He's a... Friend..."

But somehow, I think he's not telling the entire truth.

It's as if he knows something big, and he doesn't want to tell me.

It's as if he knows something that I desperately want to know.

But what? Even I don't know what I want to know. What I desperately want to know.

"Let's watch a movie, shall we?"

I nodded my head 'OK'.

He went over to the chest of drawers where I always keep all my videos and discs that I have so that I won't lose them all.

"I'll go and pop some popcorn," I informed him, and walked into the kitchen.

"Sure!"

As I poured a packet of popcorn into a large, ceramic bowl, I can't help but wonder this: who is it that Gray is contacting so often?

I placed the bowl into the microwave and switched it open.

But then again, is it in my place to ask him? I don't think I should butt into his business. But still... Gray has been acting rather... Strange... Lately. He's not acting himself. It's as if he's disturbed about something. But is it just me?

I walked back into the living room and sat back on the sofa. Gray was just inserting a disc into the video player.

"What movie?"

He grinned. "Mamma Mia."

I chuckled. "It's my favourite."

His grin grew bigger. "I know."

I smiled a huge smile before turning my attention towards the TV. I heard Gray pat the sofa from beside me.

"Come here."

I hesitated for a moment. Should I? But in the end, I ended up sitting next to him anyway. I sat there, leaning on his shoulder.

And then, the microwave just had to ring.

I groaned while Gray chuckled. "I'll go get it."

So he got up, and disappeared into the kitchen.

Suddenly, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out. The notice '1 new message' was flashing on the screen. I opened the unread message, and read it. I started panting. My heartbeat sped up due to fear and worry.

No way! But this is impossible! But I thought we were as stealthy as a thief at night? So how...? This does not fit. But the fact is in my hand right now, and I can't deny it.

"I saw you today in my office. Did you find what you were looking for? I sure do hope you did... - Desmond."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

750K 14.9K 77
Willow Aburn is a shy, clumsy, innocent girl. She didn't have many friends but was kind to everyone regardless. People took advantage of her kindness...
3.9K 1.7K 51
Cover by: @Caitlyn-Blayne "After the great war, King Archeron, who was not yet a king, was the obvious choice to be the monarch of Avenlea. He poss...
437K 26.4K 41
|2022 WATTY'S SHORTLIST| HER WISH CAN SET HIM FREE. When college student Ella Carrington finds an ancient locket and a gorgeous man literally falls...
1.1M 95.6K 82
❝Hel-❞ ❝Dad? How is she?! I would come now but-❞ ❝Chris...it's Willow.❞ ❝Oh, shit. Sorry. Wrong number.❞ + (not worth reading at all, i don't know wh...