Is This Shoulder Taken?

By dawndwrites

Kendall Prescott and Greyson Carrington. Can a broken heart ever truly heal? Kendall Prescott is looking forw... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue

Chapter 16

4.5K 325 31
By dawndwrites

Kendall

"Sorry I'm late everyone. I hope I didn't miss anything." Savannah sat down next to Greyson. She was practically sitting on his lap, she sat so close to him. I felt a sensation of jealousy rising in my chest, that I had to keep calm.

"Savannah, please meet my nephew, Brody Carrington. He is visiting until the wedding. He's from San Antonio, Texas." Ava proudly announced her introduction.

"A pleasure to meet you Savannah. Are you the same Savannah, that was Grey's high school sweetheart? I haven't seen you in years." Brody wanted to clear up any confusion in his mind. It probably seemed odd even to him.

I really like this Carrington, he speaks his mind. He is unflinching and I love it.

She seemed a little flustered by the question. How would she proceed in answering him, under the strange circumstances of her reunion with Greyson? He cut her off from speaking and seemed uncomfortable. They were now together all of the time, and it made him look like a nutcase.

He looked at his cousin. "Brody, I'm not sure if you're aware our friend, Noah, was in a recent plane crash? Savannah lost her husband." Greyson rubbed the back of his neck. He dressed up the situation with a bow, so he didn't look foolish.

"No, I hadn't heard. I'm so sorry for your loss Savannah." Brody looked down. He offered sincere words. He knew Noah too. He stared at her with sympathy.

I'm sure he was well aware what happened between Greyson and Savannah—when she married Noah. It was a very awkward silence that hung in the air, as Brody was piecing this whole situation together. It further emphasized what a dolt his cousin was.

There was such an irony that now existed.

"I remember Noah quite well. I'm truly sorry to hear of his loss. Grey, I'm sure that was difficult for you to hear as well. I'm glad you're consoling Savannah now. It's good you two have each other." He directed a sad smile their way. They all grew up together. Of course Brody remembered Noah, and Savannah too. He looked at me, with a mischievous wink.

I'm sure he was trying to figure out where or if I somehow fit in this storyline.

I picked up my wineglass and took a sip. My temples were starting to drum fast, as everyone was at a loss for words. I missed my mouth with the second sip and spilled wine on my blouse at the time of Brody's comment to Greyson. 

"Excuse me everyone," I spoke timidly, wiping at the spill in a ladylike fashion.

I don't know if I'll make it through this dinner, with Savannah here.

Ava redirected the conversation to something more positive. Brody and I conversed throughout dinner and things became more pleasant. Greyson kept looking at the two of us together, as we were laughing and engrossed like we were plotting a conspiracy. I started twirling my hair and really gave him a show.

How does it feel Greyson? Two can play this game. Except—I'm going to win.

After dinner we all sat outside to enjoy the beautiful sunset. It was the beginning of May. The weather was perfect. Brody was giving us a description of San Antonio and his attention was focused on me. His eyes shone like beams from a torch. I noticed Greyson watching Brody staring directly my way.

He did not look happy. My traitorous heart skipped several beats.

I told everyone about my latest art exhibition this coming Friday. Brody excitedly asked if he could attend. He genuinely expressed his desire to learn about art, which was unexpected, but appreciated.

"Why don't we all go and support Kendall's exhibition?" Greyson astonished me, with his interest all of a sudden.

"Grey, I would love to go . . . but we're already invited to another function." Savannah put her hand on Greyson's back. She started touching the waves that were beginning to form in the back of his chocolate brown hair. She wanted to let everyone know, especially me, that he belonged to her now.

I sat there like a stone statue, trying to keep my true reaction at bay. I couldn't handle seeing Savannah playing in Greyson's hair, and she knew it. She was pushing my buttons, but I was good at hiding my emotions.

She wasn't trying to have Greyson attend anything supporting me. Even if they didn't have any plans. The nerve of that woman! I was ready to throttle her for being so familiar with him. And I wanted to punch him for letting her.

Brody was determined. "Well, I'm coming to your art exhibition regardless of who attends, or not. I've never been to an art exhibition—I'm excited. What time does it start?"

I was touched by his desire to be there. "Thank you Brody. It will be my pleasure to have you at my art gallery for the evening. I will give you a personal tour. It starts at 6 p.m. Can I have your phone number? I can text you the address."

"I can give Brody the address." Greyson interrupted. "It's right in Downtown Dallas." Apparently Greyson didn't want me texting Brody. His jaw muscles were starting to tighten, but I handled the situation.

"Greyson thank you. I'm talking to Brody. You and Savannah can discuss your plans. I'd appreciate you staying out of mine. It was nice of you to offer . . . though." I turned my back to Greyson, and proceeded to continue my conversation he interrupted.

Greyson was furious, and I loved every minute of it. He could be with Savannah, but me being with Brody bothered him. Well too bad. . . .

            ~***~

The Art Exhibition

It's Friday and the night of my art exhibition. I ended up having a very nice evening at the Carrington's for dinner. I loved meeting Brody, Greyson's cousin. He's not Greyson, but I like him a lot.

Brody arrived at the exhibition at 6 p.m. sharp. He was by himself, and was dressed to impress.  He wore a black well tailored suit, and was looking handsome as can be. Something about him is very different than his cousins, but no one will ever be Greyson in my book. He is incomparable to most men.

"Who is that? I've never seen him before. He is stunning, and those eyes." Sheila practically tripped, but recovered in lightning speed. Thankfully, no one noticed.

"His name is, Brody Carrington. He is visiting from San Antonio for a few weeks." I gave her the short and to the point version, while we still had time to speak privately.

"How many gorgeous Carringtons are there?" Sheila was captivated.

"I know, right? He is Greyson's cousin. I met him Wednesday night at dinner. He's headed this way—we'll talk later Sheila." I quickly got in, before he strolled over to us.

"Hi Kendall, you look beautiful. Your art gallery is very impressive." Brody complimented me. I could tell that Sheila seemed very taken with him.

"Hi Brody, thank you for joining us tonight. You look very handsome in your suit and tie. This is my right arm assistant, Sheila Summers." I introduced them and Sheila was practically tongue tied. Her words tumbled over each other.

"A pleasure to meet you Sheila. He looked at her, and kissed the back of her hand." Brody has a way with women. He is very suave and confident.

"I'd love my tour Kendall, if you can spare some time." Brody had not forgotten my promise to give him a personal tour of my gallery. He was keeping me to my word.

Before we got started on our tour, I saw Greyson and Savannah walk into the gallery. Savannah didn't look happy. It looked like they had been arguing. But, Greyson was all smiles, as he walked through the entrance. He was as good-looking as ever.

"Brody and Sheila—can you two excuse me for a second?" I stepped away, and it allowed Sheila and Brody a moment alone to talk. I know Sheila was on cloud nine.

"Greyson, Savannah, what are you doing here?" I was surprised, considering Savannah made it clear, they already had a previous engagement tonight.

"We wanted to support your exhibition—isn't that right?" Greyson tapped Savannah on the shoulder, as if she had agreed on her own. By the pinched look on her face, I could tell she hadn't.

I waited for her answer. This should be a good
story. . . .

"We changed our plans, so we could be here tonight. Greyson really wanted me to see your art gallery exhibition." Savannah managed to say, without looking like she was lying.

"I thought maybe we could go on a tour?" Greyson looked at me, with his grey eyes sparkling. But I would not be swayed by his eyes—not this time.

No, I have to be strong and protect my heart. He's with that woman. . . .

"I will have my assistant, Sheila, give you two a tour. I was just getting ready to give Brody the personal tour, I had promised him. In the meantime, feel free to walk around, meet the artists, and there is plenty of food and drink." I turned and walked over to Brody, and refused to look back.

I loved this night. Good for him, turnabout is fair play.

I didn't turn around to see the look of bewilderment, that had to be on Greyson's face. Brody was excitedly waiting when I walked back. I looped my arm through his.

I smiled into his aquamarine eyes. "Shall we begin our tour, Sir?"

"Lead the way, Mi Lady." Brody was another true gentleman.

I would love to know what Greyson was thinking, as I went to give Brody a tour. I let Sheila give him and Savannah a tour.

             ~Don't Forget to Vote/Comment~❤️
I hope you're enjoying the Story. . .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10M 468K 109
An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I rest my head on your shoulder?" I nod, l...
9K 636 40
When a hunky cowboy saves city-bred Adelaide McCarthy from drowning in the icy cold Bear Head Creek, she feels strangely attracted to him. Recipe for...
168K 10.8K 38
Jenna Valentino thought she had found her forever after. Life was good. A husband she loved, a daughter she adored, a dream job and a beautiful home...
6.2K 166 14
✎ | HOCKEY SPORT ROMANCE (Beaumont boys #1) " I don't know how to explain it, Xander. B-but when I am with you I just feel like the rest of the worl...