Is This Shoulder Taken?

By dawndwrites

Kendall Prescott and Greyson Carrington. Can a broken heart ever truly heal? Kendall Prescott is looking forw... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue

Chapter 15

4.1K 287 10
By dawndwrites

Kendall

I went inside, and my favorite adopted momma was waiting with a giant hug. I even received a hug and quick peck on my cheek from Mr. Carrington. "Kendall you look beautiful, sugarplum. This look suits you. I saw you outside talking to Grey. I'm sure he noticed too." Ava winked, and placed some wedding favors down on the foyer table.

Andrea was showing Colton some tuxedo design choices. Guys don't really care about stuff like that. But he humored her anyway. He was a good sport about it. He was saved by the doorbell ringing.

"I'm so sorry, I'm late. I had to make sure I had everything." Miss Cara came rushing in, with her arms full of gowns and other wedding paraphernalia she needed today. 

"Miss Prescott, how lovely to see you again." Miss Cara acknowledged me, with that constant sneer like smirk on her face. She hadn't changed a bit.

"If everyone is here, I'd like to get started," she clasped her hands together, out of breath. "This bridal fitting will take a while." She was flustered, but handled herself in true Miss Cara like fashion.

Greyson walked in right after Miss Cara had arrived. Savannah was practically joined at his hip, and for some reason not thrilled to see me. She perused me up and down and became unnerved by my presence. I had hit my mark in the bullseye.

"Kendall, I heard from Grey that you would be here today. How nice to see you again." She lied—Savannah didn't mean a word. I saw right through her phoniness. She clung even tighter to Greyson once she saw my face. It was as if she were intimidated by me, and afraid of losing him.

I guess she isn't as confident, as she portrays herself to be.

"Yes, since I'm a family friend and Andrea's maid of honor, my presence was required." I was very icy and sarcastic. I was surprised, I was able to find any words to spare her at all. The very sight of the woman nauseated me.

Greyson looked at me with his eyes appearing like storm clouds on a rainy day, and I could tell he was trying to accept this new change in my disposition. I was not playing nice in the sand box, with the other kids. But, he brought this on himself when he chose Savannah. I was no longer letting anyone take advantage of my kindness.

We all followed Miss Cara and the fittings began. I could not wait for this day to end.

                                                                  ~***~

Greyson

Kendall, looked beautiful when she got out of her car today. I couldn't stop staring at her, she took my breath away. When I tried to be nice to her she wasn't herself, and it bothered me. She called me, Grey. She is the only one, that calls me Greyson—not Grey. I miss the easy conversation that I used to have with her.

I miss our friendship . . . . Everything changed the morning Savannah called to tell me Noah's airplane had gone down in a storm. I had planned on Kendall and I having have a future. She had started to make me let down my guard after many years of hurt. The irony is, I'm able to forgive Savannah because Kendall taught me how to breathe again.

Savannah was truly the love of my life. I wanted to get married and start a family with her. I just wanted to make sure, I was ready to be a good husband and father once we got married. To me, marriage is forever and not a vow to be taken lightly.

I wanted a lasting marriage like my parents have.

I was going to finish college, and get my Masters Degree in Architecture. I wanted to be able to take care of and provide for my family.

"Grey stop making excuses and let's just get married, now. You can still go to school and we can live with your parents." Savannah would plead with me to get married.

I didn't want me and my wife to live with my parents. I was always my own man and wanted to make my own way. Colton is the heir to our family Estate—not me. I would get some money, but not like him.

I became one of the most sought after architects. I've designed buildings all around the world . . . in the US, Japan, Dubai, and many other countries.

One day I came home to find out Savannah had married my best friend, Noah. I was completely blindsided and devastated. I didn't know if I would ever recover from the pain of that betrayal.

I decided that day, I would never get married and feel that kind of pain again. My heart turned to ice and felt nothing—but numbness.

Savannah, is back in my life. I don't know how to feel, or think anymore. What we had was years ago, and destroyed by betrayal. I would never imagine, my feelings for her could resurface. She has needed me to comfort her, and help her through losing Noah. This has been a slippery slope for me to navigate.

How can I have feelings for a woman, that hurt and betrayed me, with my best friend? I find myself feeling sorry for her. She has needed my help, and I feeling something for her—but is it love?

What about Kendall?

                                                                  ~***~

Kendall
(Monday)

I made it through the bridal fitting on Sunday. I survived seeing Greyson and Savannah. She was laughing, and hanging on his every word. I knew she was doing that for my benefit. It was beyond gagging. I acted like I didn't see, or hear them.

Miss Cara was surprisingly, very nice to me. I guess she felt sorry for me after Mark broke our engagement. Here I was being a maid of honor in my best friend's wedding. It was a pretty pathetic situation.

I managed to get some sleep despite those two annoying people. One of which, happens to be the most handsome man alive. Maybe I'm exaggerating. But his eyes hold me hostage. I wish he would've stopped looking at me.

I have to stop torturing myself.

I made it into work at the art gallery. Sheila wasn't there yet, so I stayed in my office and started getting everything in order for the day.

I also had to finalize everything for Andrea's surprise bridal shower this Saturday. I was having an art exhibition on Friday and Andrea's shower on Saturday. I was trying to keep busy.

Lunchtime rolled around. I was meeting Andrea at her favorite sushi restaurant. She was already waiting at the table for me when I arrived. Which saved me time.

"Hey Andrea, thanks for getting a table. I've been looking forward to our lunch date, and telling you about my conversation with my father." I half hugged her.

We ordered our lunch, and I told Andrea every detail of my conversation with, Daddy. She was stunned and speechless when I was done. She was happy for me, that I finally had some answers.

"Who would think that your father would contact you after all of these years? That must have been surreal. And to think he was the one to tell Mark your true identity." She remembered my father.

We started eating lunch and Andrea let it slip . . . "After the fitting, me, Colton, Grey, and Savannah went to White Rock Lake. I've never been there before, it's beautiful."

Did Andrea forget so quickly, Greyson was going to take me there? We had planned to go the day after Mark and Victoria's engagement party humiliation. She must have amnesia.

"I've never been there either, Andrea. That was where Greyson was taking me the morning, Savannah called to say that her husband's plane went down. I guess you have a short memory." I felt hurt, and betrayed by my so called best friend. She is turning out not to be such a best friend, anymore.

"I'm so sorry Kendall, I wasn't thinking. It was Savannah's idea. I'm going to shut up now." Her face turned red, like she felt uncomfortable. I'm sure she feels torn, being in the middle. Greyson is her fiancé's brother.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Now, they are one big happy family. Even my best friend, who claimed she didn't like Savannah—seems to have forgotten that. Andrea is marrying into the Carrington family. Who knows . . . they may be sisters-in-law soon.

"I have to head back to work, Andrea. I'll see you later—here's my money for the check." I placed my money down on the table, grabbed my wallet, and left before I said something I regretted.

I bolted out of that restaurant in lightning speed. I couldn't believe Andrea told me about the four of them hanging out—at the very place Greyson was supposed to take me.

I guess that's the something, he and Savannah had to do after the fitting. Savannah already has Greyson, now she wants my best friend too?

I was starting to dissolve into tears and I had to go home. I called my assistant, Sheila. I told her what happened this weekend at the fitting. I also her about my lunch conversation with Andrea today. The tears started dripping one by one on my steering wheel, as they slid down the sides of my face.

Sheila gave me a hug through the phone. She told me to take the rest of the day off, and get some rest. She knows what I've been through and she's been a great confidant.

"Don't you worry, honey. I'll take care of everything at the gallery. If you need to talk, I'm always here to listen." Sheila had to answer another phone call, but told me she'll call me later to check on me.

I headed home, grabbed my favorite pint of ice cream, and sobbed into my pillow. My lunch that I had looked forward to spending with Andrea, made me feel worse than I had ever imagined.

How will I ever get over this man? I have to constantly hear about him—even from Andrea.  Maybe Savannah can fill in as the maid of honor, and bridal shower hostess. I quit.

                                                                 ~***~

Wednesday Night. . .

Please phone keep ringing. "Hello?" I was heading home in my car. I was having trouble hearing with my Bluetooth.

"Hello Kendall, this is Ava. Can you hear me? I was calling to see if you could come for dinner tonight? My nephew, Brody, surprised us with a visit. He's going to stay until the wedding. So, he'll be here for a few weeks. I wanted you to meet him." She was up to something and my curiosity was piqued.

Why can't I ever tell this woman, the word no?

"Ava I can hear you. I was headed home, but I will turn my car around. I'll see you in a half hour." I hung up to happy cheering in the background. Ava always makes my day, and I could use some cheer right about now.

This should be good—I must be crazy. Who is this nephew? I guess, I'll find out shortly.

I arrived at the Carrington's. Ava gave me a momma type hug tonight. She's been slowly doing little things, that let's me know how special I am to her. I can tell she is treading lightly with me, and doesn't want to overdo it.

I appreciate that more than she knows—I could use a Momma like her. I just wish she didn't happen to be Greyson's Momma.

I heard an unfamiliar voice when I arrived at the estate. I turned to see a man that looked a lot like Greyson and Colton. He had to be a Carrington . . . he had thick raven black hair, and he was tall. He had that Carrington chiseled jaw line, and a broad muscular build. He was extremely handsome. He had an unusual shade of aquamarine eyes. The man was unbelievably stunning.

What is it with this family and these ridiculously, beautiful eyes? I can't help staring.

"Kendall Prescott, meet my nephew, Brody Carrington." Ava beamed up at him so proudly. I could tell she was quite close to her nephew.

"Kendall, it's so nice to meet you. Auntie Ava has been gushing about you. But I had no idea you were this beautiful." Brody was smooth and had an amazing 5 o'clock shadow. I'm shocked he's single. I liked him right away.

Then, Greyson, Colton, Andrea, and Mr. Carrington joined us. I was surprised to see Greyson was without his other new appendage.

"Grey, why didn't you tell me about the beautiful, Kendall Prescott? I would have come to visit along time ago, cousin." Brody is such a charmer.

Greyson looked a little annoyed at the compliment his cousin gave me . . . . Good!

Brody walked me into the dining room for dinner. He held out my chair, sat next to me, and smiled brightly at me.

At least someone is enjoying my company.

Ava got up to answer the door. I heard a now familiar voice talking to her. They were heading toward the dining room.

                        ~Don't Forget to Vote~❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

415K 29.5K 35
Elle's the wedding photographer and Dean's the most eligible bachelor and best man at the season's biggest wedding. Can Elle deny her feelings and st...
5.1M 150K 56
*** This story is now FREE!!!*** After a traumatic breakup with her college sweetheart, Aria Davenport meets an older, more sexually experienced busi...
6.4K 681 23
Mallory finds herself brokenhearted when she loses the love of her life in a tragic accident. She's left to pick up the pieces of her life with the h...
708K 25.7K 37
"Her second chance To fall in love with him for the first time" Widowed on her wedding day, the sweet and beautiful Amber is left feeling cold inside...