Ashen wings

By shedrak1221

Ashen wings, the follow up of the lives of three unlucky souls, bound together by many hardships. A demon, an... More

Chapter 0 - Parting
Chapter 1 - Linger
Chapter 2 - Entice
Chapter 4 - Stray
Chapter 5 - Everlasting
Chapter 6 - Devoir
Chapter 7 - Overrule
Chapter 8 - Neglect
Chapter 9 - Theorem
Chapter 10 - Lead
Chapter 11 - Endow
Chapter 12 - Avarice
Chapter 13 - Valor
Chapter 14 - Encounter
Chapter 15 - Ardor
Chapter 16 - Fortune
Chapter 17 - Trauma
Chapter 18 - Extenuation
Chapter 19 - Restrain
Chapter 20 - Enlightenment
Chapter 21 - Vindication
Chapter 22 - Elusion
Chapter 23 - Rush
Chapter 24 - Young
Chapter 25 - Trap
Chapter 26 - Heist
Chapter 27 - Ingress
Chapter 28 - Near
Chapter 29 - Gathering
Chapter 30 - Wraith
Chapter 31 - Endanger
Chapter 32 - Humanity
Chapter 34 - Ashes
Chapter 34 - Void
Chapter 35 - Evolution
Chapter 36 - Semblance
Chapter 37 - Heritage
Chapter 38 - Antagonism
Chapter 39 - Retribution
Chapter 40 - Extirpation
Chapter 41 - Departed
Chapter 42 - Impound
Chapter 43 - Neutralized
Chapter 44- Truth
Chapter 45 - Hatred
Chapter 46 - Inception
Chapter 47 - Schema
Chapter 48 - Speculation
Chapter 49 - Token
Chapter 50 - Regard
Chapter 51 - Adumbration
Chapter 52 - Notion
Chapter 53 - Gallows
Chapter 54 - Edge
Chapter 55 - Wake
Chapter 56 - Outcome
Chapter 57 - Relent
Chapter 58 - Liability
Chapter 0 - Dissolution

Chapter 3 - Allure

48 1 0
By shedrak1221

"I've made up my mind."

That comment made both Uriel and Ayako look up, both stopping paying mind to their respective tasks. Uriel stopped walking towards the fire with the lumber he was carrying, in order to look at his angel. Meanwhile, Ayako lowered her hands, stopping mixing some herbs in a bowl. Both stared at Alexis, who was frowning, deep in thought, staring at the clearing around him like if he was annoyed by something. It was Ayako who decided to question Alexis, given that he was not elaborating on his sudden comment; he had broken her focus, and she was not pleased.

"Well, if you don't mind, stop interrupting and stay quiet and still." Alexis winced a little, because she poked his back and made him sit upright again, to be able to apply medicine to his scars precisely. "You move too much; I can't help you if you keep fidgeting!"

Alexis pouted and glared over his shoulder, looking at her with annoyance. He was shirtless, something that he did not like, because it exposed his scars; but that was exactly what she wanted and forced him to do, at least once a week. He had just mumbled to himself while she did her thing, he had just moved a little, and he did not like that she was so fast to scold him.

"You know, I could do this myself, Aya. But no, you insist every damn time. Can't I even say a word while I sit motionless? Can't I even turn my head to look around? I'm bored, and-"

He received another strong poke, which forced him to look ahead again, and stay still for her convenience. Even if it didn't look like it, the scars were very sensible, and something that he was weary of. One wrong touch and he could be hissing for hours.

"You could do this yourself, yes! But not like me! Who's the professional here?"

Alexis snorted between his teeth, trying his luck and probably daring her to smack him.

"Professional... I just let you do this because I don't have eyes on the back of my head. It's just brushing some smashed herbs and making sure that the scars don't open, it does not take a very bright mind to-"

Uriel winced when he noticed her hand dashing. Sure enough, her palm came down onto Alexis' shoulder a little more fiercely, and Alexis' reaction was instantaneous.

"Oww!" She only grinned when the angel glared holes through her, holding his shoulder angrily. "Ayako?!"

She shrugged playfully, and just kept mixing more herbs on a bowl.

"Sorry, my hand slipped."

Alexis' eyes narrowed grumpily, but he obliged and remained still, to not receive more annoying pats.

"Sure it did... you crazy-"

"What was that, Alex? I can't quite hear your mumbles."

"...Nothing."

Uriel sighed and stopped staring fretfully at the two, knowing quite well that their bickering was a daily occurrence. He just stepped near the fire, and dropped the lumber near it. While he fed the flames with more wood, he decided to chat, somewhat curious about the angel's first comment.

"You made up your mind... About what?"

Alexis blinked sideways at his demon. Uriel was crouching by the fire, somewhat tense. Those violet eyes were serious, almost dreading. It seemed that Uriel was still anxious, and the reason could be one of many. He still dreaded that something might happen, at any moment, anything that he or Ayako could say.

Ayako did not seem annoyed when Alexis peeked back at her, to check if it was alright to speak, not wanting another smack. Once he saw that she would not react unless he moved too much, he answered Uriel casually.

"I think I'll build a cabin."

Uriel visibly relaxed, relieved that the angel did not speak of other things he feared. Soon, his sharp eyes lost their dread, and filled up with confusion and curiosity. Little by little, he had been easing up around them, and was becoming more talkative, even if still shy.

"A cabin?" He tilted his head at Alexis, puzzled. "Why would you want a cabin? You've always said that you had enough with that cave."

Alexis laughed, somewhat awkwardly. He made sure to not move too much, because even if Ayako was listening in interest, she would still scold him if he interrupted the treatment.

"Well, why not? Think about it!" He carefully lifted a hand, not moving too much, and then pointed at the side of the cliff. "It would be better than a cave. Sure, it would be a lot of work to build it from the ground, and I would have to cut a lot of trees, but it would be worth it. Picture it, there, at the side of the clearing, big enough to have at least three rooms, with a small porch, and maybe windows. I miss windows, and real walls. Now that it's obvious that you two won't leave, I think it would be a clever thing to do! Before, it would have attracted unwanted attention: a cabin, in the middle of nowhere. But that does not matter now, because who would dare stalk me if I have two bodyguards? Ayako is human, and more susceptible to cold, so she could use a room, knowing that she won't stop roaming around me. And you, Uriel, you are too stubborn to leave me alone, or to suggest that we go back to your manor; so I better make a good living here!"

Ayako lowered her hands again. Alexis was tempted of scolding her for stopping, but listened as she asked curiously.

"Wait, he has a manor?"

Uriel shied instantly. He seemed to get smaller when both angel and human looked sideways at him; it did not help that Alexis snickered and commented so mockingly.

"Not any manor, a huge one, big enough to house a whole town. He just doesn't like to mention it. That's where he kept me in a cell once, as he likes to confess; but obviously, said jail was only a locked room with no windows..."

Uriel scoffed and pretended they were not speaking of his home.

"Does not matter what it was, you're not going back to that place. So, indeed, build that cabin for all I care. Won't use it either, so make only room for her."

Ayako raised an eyebrow at Uriel, not getting why he had to be so stubborn about being too close to his angel.

"What's up with you and rooms? You want to make sure he's alright, yet you refuse to share space?"

Uriel did not answer; he only kept staring at the fire. Alexis rolled his eyes, and sat upright, as if to drop the matter entirely.

"Oh, you just don't get it, Aya. You see, he's really just a fairy. He loves to live in the forest; he wears fancy clothes, and loves to be good-looking. Let's not forget all the shyness and well mannerisms! He can fool you into believing he's a demon, but not me. All those little spells I've seen him throw as well... Next, he will begin to sparkle, and grow tiny wings!"

Uriel hit the ground with his tail in annoyance, and then scowled at his angel. He grabbed one of his fingers with each following sentence.

"One, fairies don't exist outside children's books. Two, if I were one, you would not be here."

Alexis just kept joking, willingly ignoring that Uriel was not finding it funny.

"Oh, who knows? Maybe there aren't any fairies around, because we angels killed them all. Or maybe, I'm not an angel after all, and you're bound with a freak of nature. You and I, we can't say we are normal..."

Ayako was listening to their bickering, and was quick to get into it, noting how Uriel was glaring at Alexis, non-maliciously.

"Or maybe, other demons and angels are just messed up, and you're the exception." She smiled at them both, with a small nervous smile. "I'm still wrapping my mind around the fact that you are not tearing each other apart! How did you end up coming to this truce anyway?"

Both demon and angel became somewhat nervous under her stare. Alexis coughed, while Uriel began to scratch one of his horns.

"Because as I said before, I'm weird, Aya. His puzzlement made him halt his claws. You are as baffled of my behavior as he was. Ask yourself why you don't want to hunt me, and you got his answer. He can say that not all demons are bloodthirsty, but I can't say angels won't fight at first sight."

Uriel suddenly dropped his shyness, just to interrupt them both. He was frowning, clearly uncomfortable. He had this conversation before, and he did not want to repeat it for long.

"Where is your axe, Alexis?"

Alexis blinked up at Uriel, because the demon had stood up and was now looking around intently.

"My axe? It's inside the cave. Why do you-?"

Uriel was not wasting time; he interrupted his angel again, without anger, desperate to end the previous conversation. He began to walk away towards the cliff, with fast steps, never looking back.

"That cabin won't build itself. Might as well get to work; the sooner you have a roof over your head, the better."

Alexis and Ayako exchanged glances. Uriel had already gotten into the cave and had grabbed the axe, and was now heading to a small patch of trees to get lumber. Alexis ended up shrugging and sighing, knowing that Uriel was done chatting for the day.

"...Do me a favor and finish checking my scars, Aya. Knowing him, he might chop the entire forest if I don't supervise him."

Ayako was not looking away from the trees, baffled. One tree had already fallen, and she could see the obvious shadow of a strong-minded demon, who was raising the axe again.

"And I thought you were obstinate. I guess I won't stop being surprised."

"You haven't seen anything yet..."

He closed his eyes, and was thankful that she just hurried with it. By the time her hands moved away from his scars, the clearing had been made bigger, cleared of surrounding trees. By night, there were too many logs by the cave, which he wondered if he would give use at all. Worst of all, Uriel refused to say word until morning, all too focused on his next self-assigned responsibility.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12 0 10
Aliel is a monster. The daughter of a demon with an angel as a father, her black wings set her apart as a creature of both light and dark, a monstros...
32.4K 1.6K 9
#38 in Fantasy "Go." he commanded. "I can't bear the sight of you." The wind blew my hair out behind me. "I hate you so much. I never want to see you...
708 100 13
Ivy Grey was just a regular student who didn't know what to do with her life. She had always felt invisible, and her so called 'friends' were see thr...
2.8K 1K 34
18-year-old Angel was one of the most bright people you'd ever meet. She was smart as hell but also knew how to let loose and party. She always wore...