Tradition Comes Third

By masonfitzzy

The third book to the Family Comes First trilogy Time has passed, and now Hunter is seventeen and preparing... More

Calculus
Who Knows?
Getting Ready
Ava
Late Night
All Together
Back To Traditions
Family Dinner
Westwood
Aftermath Freak Out
Part of the Family
A Lesson
Cold Dinner
Leah
Roof Top
Oh God
One Or The Other
The Shed
Don't Break
Breakfast
Where We Are
Hunger
Need to Survive
A Plan Together
The Act
A Meal and A Talk
Already Cracking
The Driver And Passenger
Protecting Ourselves
In The Woods
Headache
Unconscious
Together
Middle of the Night
Getaway
What's Best
Wasting Away
Blair
Listen To What I Say
Searching and Talking
Alarm Clock
The Birth
Messy
Restart
Cops and Paramedics
Hospital
The End
Bonus Chapter - Panic

Lock and Key

53.8K 2.7K 1.7K
By masonfitzzy

"What are you doing?" Ava asked. "Don't you know that yawning is contagious? If you start yawning I'm going to start yawning, and the next thing you know, both of us are asleep and getting punished."

"What is with this sleep thing anyways?" i asked her.

She shrugged her shoulders and sat down on the edge of my bed.

"I have no clue," she said. "You're Mom never wrote about it, and I've read nothing about not letting the girls sleep. They must have a reason for it."

I sat down next to her. Ava's eyes were locked on the closed curtains. I put my hand on her knee, and she let her eyes dart over toward me.

"We'll take turns," she said. "Go to sleep and when I hear someone get near to the room, I will wake you up."

"Are you sure?" I asked. "What if you don't hear anything?"

"Your Dad is so loud when he unlocks the door," she said. "I will hear it."

"What if you fall asleep?"

"Thanks for having faith in me." She rolled her eyes. "My back is too sore to let me fall asleep anyways."

Ava got up off the bed and sat down in my office chair. She wheeled herself over to my desk. She flipped through one of my notebooks, and ripped out a blank page. She grabbed a pencil off of the desk. I noticed she sat at the edge of the chair.

"Go ahead, Hunter," she said.

I looked over my shoulder to my bed. My eyes felt heavy, and everything seemed to ache. Dad was loud when unlocked the door, so she would be able to wake me in time. I was sure that a few minutes of sleep would be better than not sleeping at all.

I crawled back on the bed and set my head down. I closed my eyes and quickly fell asleep to the sound of a pencil scratching on a piece of paper.

--

I groaned as I felt my body shake. I barely opened my eyes to see Ava leaning over me. She had a grip on my shoulders, and was shaking my body. She reached out and opened my eyes with her fingers. My hand shot out to push her off of me. She sat on the edge of the bed and pressed her thumb into my sore nose. I opened my mouth to complain, and she shot her hand over my mouth.

"Meg and I had to go talk to Mrs. Black about the type of paint they were giving us," Ava rambled about nothing. Her voice seemed to be a little bit louder than she normally talks.

The door opened up, and I pushed myself up on my elbows to see Dad walking into the room. Ava was trying to wake me up before he came in.

"What are you two up to?" he asked.

"We're just talking," Ava said.

"Are you two ready to eat?" he asked.

Ava and I both shook our heads.

"Not hungry yet?" he asked.

"We're not eating that stuff," I told him.

"You'll change your mind soon," he said. "You'll have another chance to eat at breakfast. I'm going to bed, so Taylor is going to check on you two in an hour. Don't fall asleep."

He left, and we heard him jiggle the key in the lock as he locked us in. I dropped my head on the pillow. I groaned and dug the heel of my hands in my eyes.

"Wow, you're difficult to wake up," Ava said. "That was a close call."

"How long was I asleep for?" I asked.

"Probably like an hour," she said. "Your Dad took the alarm clock out of your room."

I turned my head to see an empty spot on my nightstand where my alarm clock usually sat.

"Do you want to sleep for a bit and then I'll wake you up?" I asked her.

"No," she said. "Your Dad almost caught you. I don't want to risk it again."

I nodded my head and pushed myself off of the bed. I saw the paper sitting on my desk. I picked it up to see a sketch of a cheetah prowling through the grass.

"This is really good, Ava," I said.

"I hope so," she said. "It's my one talent."

I set it back down and opened up the curtain. The moon was bright in the sky, and it would be hours before the sun starts to rise. I went over to my closet and reached for the box on the top shelf. I pulled it down to see that it was a game of Monopoly.

"Here's a way to stay awake," I said.

I sat down on the ground and opened up the box. Ava jumped up off of the bed and sat down across from me. Her lips were lifted into a smile.

"Get ready to get your ass kicked," Ava said.

"Hey, no swearing," I said wryly.

Ava started giggling and taking pieces out of the box. I saw my backpack sitting beside my desk. I got up and opened it up. I always got hungry during study hall, and I had to bring food that I could eat without the librarian noticing. I pulled out a bag of dry Cheerios and brought it over to the board.

I sat down and we ate as we played. There was a few pieces left when we heard the lock move. I pushed it under the bed before Taylor walked in. He gave us a weird look when he saw us, and then quickly left. He visited us a few more times during the night.

The sun had begun to peer through the curtains the lock started to turn again. I was shocked to see that it was Leah. She had her glasses resting on the top of her head, and her blonde hair tucked behind her ears. She had a tight tank top on, and I could see that her belly was slightly rounded. She had on a plaid shirt over top and pulled it tight over her chest before yawning.

"Breakfast is ready," she told us. "Ava, come with me and I'll give you something to change into."

Ava stood up from the ground and looked at herself. Her white jeans were streaked in dirt, and she still had my hoodie on.

"I'll help you with your back too," Leah said.

Ava walked toward her, and Leah smiled. I watched them walk down the hall. I quickly changed into a new set of clothes, and slipped on a sweater and zipped it up. I went down the hall and heard voices speaking softly. The bathroom door was open a crack, and I couldn't stop myself from pushing it open further.

Ava was sitting on the edge of the bathtub. She had a towel wrapped round her naked body, and the wounds on her back were exposed. She had taken the bun out of her hair, and her hair was hiding her face. Leah was rubbing a cream over the welts on Ava's skin, and applying a dressing.

"Hunter," Leah said. "Can I help you with something?"

Leah looked up, and pulled her hair away from her face. I took a step back and shook my head.

"No," I said. "No. I'm okay."

"We'll be down in a few minutes," Leah said. "Go down and get some breakfast before it gets cold."

I turned around and headed down the stairs and into the kitchen. Mom was in the kitchen with Dad and Emme. She was emptying a pan of scrambled eggs into a bowl. They all turned to stare at me when they heard me enter.

"Good morning," Dad said. "You hungry yet?"

I saw a plate of meat sitting on the counter. I swallowed past the lump that formed in my throat.

"No, I'm not," I said.

"At least get a glass of juice for you and Ava," Mom said to me.

Dad shot Mom a look, and I could see her coil away in fear. He said nothing though, so I rushed over to the fridge and pulled out the container of orange juice. I reached up to the cupboard, and I saw a book sitting on the counter. I picked it up, and flipped it over to see what it was.

"Mom, what's my yearbook doing on the counter?" I asked.

"I was showing your Dad some photos," she said. "I was showing him that science fair that you were in last year."

"What did you tell my school, anyways?" I asked. "They must be wondering where I am."

"I told them that you have the Shingles and you won't be able to attend class for quite sometime."

"Mom, I have to be going to school. If I don't go to class then my grades will tank, and I'll never get into university."

"There are more important things than university, Hunter," Dad said.

We all turned when we heard footsteps echo as they walked into the kitchen. Leah ran up to the counter and started helping Mom with breakfast. Ava had on a pair of large sweatpants that were rolled up, and a large hoodie.

"Get upstairs, you two," Dad told us. "We'll be up to check on you soon."

"Can we stay down in the living room?" I asked.

"No, not yet," he said. "Spend the day in your room, and don't fall asleep."

I grabbed the two glasses of orange juice, and Ava's arm. I pulled her up with me to my room. I could hear Dad's voice before I shut my door.

"Julie, go get those large plastic sheets," he said. "We don't want to stain your rug." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

506 44 34
The third installment of the "Aren't You Glad I Can Keep A Secret" franchise. After Nina and others among her group survive, a copycat killer is back...
95.4K 6K 32
(THIRD BOOK IN MOMMY'S HOUSE TRILOGY, CONTAINS SPOILERS) The case of the woman who kidnapped three children in 1983 has been solved... or has it? It...
1.9K 221 26
Over two months ago, Ava's life was turned upside down with the bite of a vampire. Since then she's struggled with love and loss and her mother, the...
23.2K 1.7K 30
Origin story to the Family Comes First series by Mason Fitzgibbon. The Wilcox family's horrifying and twisted traditions all began in 1873. Joseph: A...