library at fourth street • ch...

By been-through

In which Chanyeol falls for the boy a few tables away from him, new book in hand everyday. | 060417 - 072217 More

00; prologue
01; looking for alaska
02; paper towns
03; an abundance of katherines
04; will grayson, will grayson
05; the fault in our stars

06; epilogue

572 41 30
By been-through

December 04, 2016 | 19:45

The Library at Fourth Street

"Yeol! Closing time is near and I have to go now. Please close the library for me, thanks!" Minseok said, messily placing his stuff on his bag and throwing the keys to Chanyeol who was busy arranging the books back to its proper place.

Forgetting that Chanyeol is indeed the clumsiest co-worker, Chanyeol didn't catch the key and dropped the books he's holding in the process. Minseok didn't seem to mind and hurriedly went out, muttering incomprehensible words that Chanyeol didn't seem to understand fully. But he heard the words "movie date", "Jongdae", and "eight"; immediately knowing his hyung is in deep trouble.

He picked up the books and continued his work. Minutes later he found himself standing in front of a shelf he knew so well in the past 2 years – the YA section.

Memories flashed into his mind, the way he felt his tears fall down from a character death, his laugh when something funny happened, it felt like 2 years haven't passed at all, it all felt like yesterday.

Even the pain he felt the day Byun Baekhyun didn't return to the library feels like yesterday.

He took a deep breath and sat facing the shelf, remembering the memories he shared with Baekhyun. It may be in the shortest amount of time, but it was one of the best moments in Chanyeol's life. Every day he waited for him to come back, he even worked in the library in hopes to catch him when he comes back. It's been two years since he first saw him in the near back reading Looking for Alaska, remembering that he had a box of tissues that came in handy the moment the boy closed the book.

"Wouldn't it be nice if you came back, Byun Baekhyun?" He said to himself.

Chanyeol didn't want to forget – he didn't want to forget how that boy made him smile and cry, he didn't want to forget how he felt. He just wished to have gathered up the courage to ask him out sooner. He took a deep breath and continued his work.

19:53

It is seven minutes until closing time and Chanyeol is just waiting for the boy on the second row to finish the final chapters of the textbook he's reading, while sitting on his usual spot in the library.

"Thank you so much for waiting! I really have to pass this exam tomorrow." The boy said to Chanyeol before leaving.

"No problem, Zitao! Say hi to Yifan for me!" He said as the boy hurriedly went out to the library.

Chanyeol stood up, arranged his chair and grabbed his bag, closing the library lights and proceeded to the exit.

He stopped dead on his tracks as he saw a familiar running figure outside. It was running towards the library door, screaming: "Wait! Don't close yet!"

He heard that voice before, it was the voice he knew too well. The voice was never forgotten even though years have passed.

The figure stood in front of the library's entrance. The vast night sky illuminating his sweaty figure. "That was an unexpected exercise." He said to no one in particular and fixed himself before entering the library. "It's been a while, Park Chanyeol. I'm sorry." Baekhyun said.

The now-dark room felt like it was illuminating with light because of Baekhyun's ethereal beauty. Chanyeol stood there dumbfounded, completely shocked because of Baekhyun's unexpected arrival after 2 years.

"You came back." That's what he managed to say before the other boy went closer. His features became a little more mature than what Chanyeol remembered, but it's still the same person he fell for. He was sure of it.

"I know, I'm so late and I'm sorry. You deserve an explanation, want to grab a coffee with me?" Baekhyun said, anxiously waiting for Chanyeol's response.

He couldn't let out a proper response and just nodded instead. He felt like he was in a dream – where nothing has changed.

20:07

"I asked for coffee at night, I'm such a fool sometimes." Baekhyun laughed at himself, sipping his hot cappuccino.

"I... wasn't really planning on sleeping tonight." Chanyeol said, finally forming sentences without stuttering. "So what's the explanation?" He asked, trying to continue the conversation.

Baekhyun went silent for a while and looked down on his cappuccino.

Chanyeol immediately took his words back. "Oh – I'm sorry! You don't have to explain, it's okay, I was just–"

"No, it's okay! I should really be the one sorry, I left without explanation. You were my only friend in the library." Baekhyun said. "Or in general." He whispered to himself.

A friend.

Chanyeol's heart shouldn't be breaking like this. The boy only wanted a friend – not something more. Besides, he doesn't know him much. Being a friend is easier, right? You won't be the reason why he'll cry endlessly after the breakup, even though he doesn't plan on breaking up with him. That's all he was to him – a friend.

Or that's what he thought.

"You don't have to say sorry! It's okay, please go on." He said, trying to keep his smile behind his breaking heart.

Then Baekhyun told him his life story. How he came from an abusive family to having to work multiple jobs just to keep himself alive, how he wanted to give up so many times because he felt so alone and helpless. But he lent hours on reading at the library. It was his safe haven, an escape to the world he didn't want to live in. He spent the last two years helping himself stand back up and balance his life.

"My life has been a mess and my library has been an escape. Meeting you was one of the best things that ever happened so far, thank you, Park Chanyeol." Baekhyun said, a smile forming on his lips.

"Thank you for trusting me with this, Byun Baekhyun." Chanyeol said. His heart may still be aching, but he hoped it will subside because he wanted to support the other boy, maybe not as a lover, but a friend.

22:04

They were walking at the nearby park. Telling each other the most random of stories like they've known each other for the longest time. Chanyeol's heart still flutters by the sight of Baekhyun, making it harder to keep the promise to himself.

"I actually noticed you the day you were in the library with Yixing." Baekhyun nonchalantly said.

"Wait, what?" Chanyeol asked, surprised.

"You were reading a picture book with a car crash right? That's what I can remember." The other boy shrugged. "And I don't really know Yixing personally, I just knew his name because Suho was shaking Minseok and telling him that Yixing was there beside you."

"Your memory is amazing." That was all that Chanyeol could say. There was a possibility that he could've noticed his stares – he wanted to scream and run away from embarrassment.

"I know right, I even memorized your let-" Baekhyun paused. "Ah, I shouldn't have said that!" Covering his face, embarrassed by the sudden confession.

Chanyeol stood there, embarrassment written all over his tall figure. So yes, the man I have been pining for in the span of 2 years knew about me, must have possibly knew that I liked him for so long and read my crappy lovesick letter. It must be nice to have a falling 10-ton weight right at the top of me right now.

Baekhyun uncovered his face, looking at the tall figure in front of him, eyes wide and loss for words.

"Let's talk about it after taking deep breaths three times." Baekhyun suggested and Chanyeol agreed.

One.

Two.

Three.

"I like you too. In that span of two years – there was never a day I haven't thought about you." He said after exhaling. "You're welcome for the book recommendations, I'm glad to be of help." He said and let out a small smile.

Chanyeol felt those damned butterflies as soon as Baekhyun confessed. His heart was beating loudly and his hands were shaking. The effect of his love for Baekhyun is so merciless, he was so in love.

"I hate myself for not being the first one to tell you all of these, thank you for gathering up the courage to do so." Words started to come out of Chanyeol's mouth spontaneously, like he had practiced it millions of times. "I have something to confess – the day you left was the day I was really about to ask you out. But you didn't come back. I'm sorry for chickening out for lots of times, now that you feel the same way – I don't want to lose you."

Baekhyun felt tears coming out from his eyes. "I didn't want to lose you so I decided that it's better to be just friends, but then I realized you're something more, Chanyeol." He let out a giggle while wiping his tears. "This feels like a wedding vow, are we getting married?" He joked.

"Not yet." Chanyeol genuinely smiled.

"Don't get me flustered, Park Chanyeol!"

22:43

A few minutes after the sudden confession, Chanyeol walked Baekhyun home, hands intertwined like a perfect puzzle piece. Then Chanyeol remembered something.

"Close your eyes." He said.

"Am I getting kidnapped?" Baekhyun jokingly asked, eyes closed.

"Not really. Something better?" Chanyeol grabbed the book set from his bag, which he always carried around with for 2 years in hopes of bumping into Baekhyun in the street, hoping that one day he could finally hand it over.

"It's kind of heavy, prepare your hands." He said as he placed it to Baekhyun's palms. "Now open your eyes."

"We were on our first date and you already have a gift? How extravagant of you, Park Chanyeol!" The boy said rather sarcastically, but in a cute manner.

Chanyeol just laughed. "It gets better!"

They reached Baekhyun's front porch and the smaller boy placed it on the table and carefully removed the wrapper, revealing the book set he dreamed of the moment he read one of John Green's literature.

"Are you serious?!" He looked at Chanyeol in disbelief. "You shouldn't have, this is expensive!" He grabbed the book set and hugged it tight – like a child hugging his favorite stuffed toy. "Thank you, thank you so much!" He carefully placed the book on the table and ran to hug Chanyeol.

His hugs felt warm and welcoming, and Chanyeol didn't want to let go.

"I wish I have met you sooner." Baekhyun said while his face was pressed to Chanyeol's chest, tightening his hug.

"But what's more important is I'm going to stay forever, right?" Chanyeol said, hugging back.

23:05

Chanyeol, as much as Baekhyun insisted, has to go home.

"Ten more minutes?"

"I'm sorry, I really have to go."

"Fine." He let out a deep sigh.

"Library, tomorrow, at the same time?"

"Deal!"

And that's the story of the two lovers in the Library at Fourth Street.

The previous one is the last chapter because there's an epilogue. /pats self on the back thinking that I'm clever/

Anyway, yep, this is where it ends! It's almost 3AM and I'm half asleep while writing. I will surely edit this once I have more time to spare.

Thank you so so much for reading this story! This is the first time I stuck on something without the urge to delete it, aaaah!

I will most likely edit this soon, probably fix some plot holes and dialogues.

Again, thanks for reading Library at Fourth Street!

Oh, and one thing you should know about me – I hate writing sad endings. ;) Love you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 109K 62
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
923K 36.8K 47
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
1M 17.4K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...