The Unseen Hand

By inksorcery

For years, the faceless terror known as the Hand of Fate has been secretly manipulating the port city of Reyz... More

THE UNSEEN HAND IS NOW AVAILABLE AS AN EBOOK!
Authors' Notes & Copyright
PART I
Prologue
Ch 1: The Stallion
Ch 2: Jarle of Shadows
Book Plate: Jarle of Shadows
Ch 3: Scent of Lemons
Ch 4: The Man in the Mask
Ch 5: Two Blades
Ch 6: Forkleaf
Book Plate: Forkleaf
Ch 7: Silky Promises
Ch 8: Shattered Dreams
Ch 9: Fisheye
Ch 10: Take a Deep Breath
Book Plate: Take a Deep Breath
Ch 11: The Hidden Grotto
Ch 13: Daemon in the Flesh
Ch 14: Sunken Treasure
Ch 15: The Dragon of Reyza
Ch 16: Testament
Ch 17: The Catch
Ch 18: A Gambling Man
Ch 19: The Grinding Wheel
Book Plate: The Grinding Wheel
Ch 20: Redmane
Ch 21: Seh'nahiel Wine
Ch 22: Bat Surprise
Ch 23: A Curskin, a Thief, and a Liar
Ch 24: The Naera's Embrace
Ch 25: The Tangles
Ch 26: Dessian Mercy
Ch 27: The Mistress of Rats
Ch 28: Whisperers
Book Plate: Whisperers
Ch 29: The Great Hall of Thyra
Ch 30: Command of the Fleet
Part II
Ch 31: The Journey South
Ch 32: Áels
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!
What Comes Next: The Lair of Shadows
Publishing Update #1
Publishing Update #2
Publishing Update #3
WE ARE PUBLISHED! GRAB A COPY ON KICKSTARTER (LINK IN OUR PROFILE)
RESERVE YOUR eBOOK OR HARDCOVER COPY OF THE UNSEEN HAND ON KICKSTARTER
Archived Temporary Notes
Artwork
Map of Laremlis
A'dielian Calendar
Days of the Week
Time's Running Out!
The Unseen Hand is Published! Join the Giveaway!

Ch 12: Mortal Remains

5.5K 449 130
By inksorcery

Brindi, Eighth of Sund'im, 445 A'A'diel 

Jarle Rigo Iarris paused before the entrance of the royal tomb and turned to face Ther'oldo Ers, the Ambassador of Thromm. "A word of warning before we enter," he said, putting on his most sympathetic face. "You have heard the preliminary reports of what happened at Ca'd'Cel, but I am not confident that you are prepared for the sight that lies beyond this door. Tan'os Ensther did not die quickly."

Ther'oldo hailed from Blackspur, the capital city of his northern homeland and was of a Bissatiel line that had for generations bred giant men. Despite his old age, he had an impressive build and towered a full armlength over Rigo's head. He looked down at Reyza's ruler and met his gaze. His impassive blue eyes did not reveal the turmoil that brewed in his heart. "The Vise of Reyza was slain in his home while defending it against thieves. One thug is dead, and the other escaped, presumably after kidnapping Avaren Ensther. Is that correct?"

"Yes, that is—accurate." Rigo shrank from the Northman's stare. "However, the evidence points to a brutal struggle, one that has left the Vise's mortal remains in a frightful state."

Ther'oldo's gaze did not waver. "Like Tan'os, I am a son of Thromm. We are not weak-hearted people who spill our stomachs at the sight of gore. Open this door, let us proceed."

Rigo nodded to one of the guards in his entourage. The soldier stepped forward, unhooked a key ring from his belt and unlocked the sepulcher. The scent of camphor, incense, and herbal oils filled the hall as he pushed open the door.

Inside the royal tomb, walls of polished stone rose in graceful sweeps to a domed vault. Larger than life statues of Reyza's former rulers circled the perimeter of the chamber. The serene sentinels stood with their heads bowed to the platters they held in their hands. Upon the discs, urns of gold inlaid with precious stones immured the ashes of the deceased. In the center of the room, above a catafalque of clean, understated design hung a brass chandelier whose ever-burning elemental flames illuminated the corpse of Tan'os Ensther. The golden light was diffused by the smoke of several censers which hovered about the body like a mist.

Rigo withdrew a silk kerchief and held it to his nose to guard against the fumes. "Apologies for the scent. Although I have retained the very best undertakers to embalm the body, they are not accustomed to the funerary practices of the North. Reyzan custom does not allow for the preservation of corpses." Rigo gestured for Ther'oldo to enter. "After you, Ambassador."

Ther'oldo ducked under the door and approached the slab. Tan'os lay on his back, hands at his sides. He was naked save for a modest length of black silk draped over his hips. In death, his skin had become almost translucent from the loss of blood which appeared to be caused by numerous gaping gashes.

The oils the embalmers had used in their efforts to mask the scent of death, had only partially succeeded. The nauseating stench of dead meat filled the room.

Ther'oldo did not turn to look at Rigo as he addressed him; instead, he forced himself closer to the body, bending down to examine the gaping wounds. The multiple stab wounds denoted an almost rabid frenzy on behalf of Tan'os' murderers. "The Vise appears not to have been slain, so much as butchered," Ther'oldo said. "Are you certain this was a robbery and not an assassination?"

Rigo remained by the tomb's entrance, handkerchief to his nose. "It is still early in the investigation, but the testimony of the surviving guards points to betrayal and theft. It appears that the Zincari Captain made a deal with the thieves and allowed them access to the villa."

Ther'oldo leaned forward and studied the bulging tendons that distorted Tan'os' face. "I would speak with these witnesses myself."

"Of course. However, I am told the inquisitors are still prising information from them. My men are skilled at what they do, but it may take days before we know all the facts. I have assigned Lord Justiciar Poldar Tsardon to lead the investigation personally. I shall ensure you receive a full copy of his report upon your return."

"My return?" Ther'oldo turned to face the jarle. "Just where is it you think I am going?"

Rigo waved his kerchief. "Thrommish custom demands every effort be made to bury a great personage in the soil of his homeland before putrefaction takes hold. Anything less would damn a soul to wander the River of Dust without respite. Surely you intend to escort the Vise's body to Thyra for a proper funeral."

Ther'oldo stroked the back of his neck. Rigo was correct. The body's stench was proof that a departure as early as the following morning would be required to ferry the body home in time for a burial. He needed time to think. "Speaking of funerals, where is the body of Dannia Jarnïs?"

Rigo hesitated. "Mejtress Avaren's maid-in-waiting?"

"The very same. Dannia is also of noble blood, the youngest daughter of Olørn Jarnïs, the Trezur of Carr."

"Her remains are in the room adjacent." Before Ther'oldo could interrupt, Rigo pressed the matter of the funeral. "There are two Thrommish vessels currently in port, the Helicon, and the Guldvïnd. I understand that you have recalled the rest of the Southern Fleet from their respective ports of call, but it will take weeks before the vessels arrive. Respectfully, Ambassador, I must insist that you sail north even at the peril of leaving Reyza undefended. Tan'os Ensther was a great man who deserves to be buried in the native soil of his land."

Ther'oldo balled his hands into fists. "I am not going anywhere!"

Rigo masked his dismay with the kerchief. "Tan'os Ensther served my nation with utmost loyalty. I will not allow you to send a hero of Thyra to the afterlife with as much importance as a barrel of pickled fish."

Ther'oldo prayed for the forgiveness of his dead kinsman. "Tan'os Ensther's body will not go north in either of those ships. His daughter is missing, and I will not abandon her plight."

Feigning indignation, Rigo snapped, "I am making every effort to find the whereabouts of my future bride. Do not use his daughter as an excuse to damn Tan'os' eternal soul. You know very well that if Mejtress Avaren were here, she would demand her father receive a proper interment."

Ther'oldo slammed his fist on the stone slab. "I have sent word of Tan'os' death to Thyra, your highness. If you think that his son will sit idly and wait for the delivery of his father's corpse, you are sorely mistaken. It is likely that Strommarch Rhiess will dispatch the Northern Fleet; he may even make the journey himself. My countrymen will demand answers for these crimes, and I shall remain here to see that those answers are found."

Rigo raised his eyebrows. "The Strommarch will not be pleased with your decision regarding his father's remains."

"Perhaps, but that is my concern. Tan'os Ensther would expect me to utilize those ships to scour every harbor from here to Carr in search of his daughter, and that is precisely what I intend to do."

Rigo shook his head. "There is no evidence that the perpetrator of this crime left aboard a ship. All vessels have been forbidden to set sail and are currently being searched. With all due respect, Ambassador, your motives for denying Tan'os a funeral ring false."

Ther'oldo turned his back on the mauled corpse of his kinsman and walked over to where Rigo was standing. He was pleased when the smaller, younger man took a step back. Looking down at Rigo, Ther'oldo spoke, his tone solemn. "I took an oath to represent Thromm's interests in Reyza and have no intention of leaving her shores at this critical moment. I intend to hire a private investigator to unearth the truth behind these murders and the whereabouts of the missing princess. In the interest of continued amity between our two nations, I humbly suggest that you appeal to the mages to stave off decay for both bodies—at your expense—until such a time as Thromm is satisfied that Tan'os Ensther and members of his household were the victims of a robbery, and not a more sinister crime."

Frustration underscored Rigo's polite tone. "Out of respect for the memory of Tan'os Ensther and our good relations with Thyra, I will acquiesce to your requests."

Ther'oldo took a step back from the jarle. "Thank you. I believe this concession to be a constructive step towards normalizing relations between our two nations."

"I am glad we have reached an accord. Let us leave Tan'os in peace now." Rigo sidestepped the old man and left the room. He waved his kerchief to the guard who had opened the tomb—a silent instruction to close the door.

Ther'oldo followed him down the hall. "I am aware of Lord Justiciar Tsardon's politics and wish to have your assurance that he will not interfere with whomever I hire to conduct my private investigation."

Rigo stopped and offered the diplomat a patronizing look. "As these are trying times, I will overlook your insult to Lord Justiciar Tsardon. If it pleases you, I can bestow an agent of your choosing a writ granting them the authority of a Chief Justiciar for the duration of your inquest. Further, I shall have the Lord Justiciar spare some of his soldiers as well."

The door of the royal tomb closed behind them with a quiet finality.

Ther'oldo bowed as low as his old age allowed. "On behalf of Thyra and Blackspur, I thank you for your generosity and concern. I shall endeavor to pass on your heartfelt condolences to the Ensther family."

Thank you for stopping by and reading! We'd love to hear from you.

Please vote if you liked the chapter.

We love stars and promise to answer any questions.

-Narcisse & Marzio.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 276 46
Five years ago, Tristian's wife left him, leaving behind their barely three-month-old twins. Taking care of the children fell on his parents' hands...
246 11 5
LEILA DUCASSE doesn't believe in mercy, second chances, hesitation or love. She believes they make you weak, vulnerable, and she refuses to let her g...
690 52 26
⚔️This is an incomplete, unedited version of the story. I am in the process of finishing and editing this book that will be available on Amazon when...
8K 904 26
Summer is a thief with morals and an outcast in her town. She finds a pendant floating in the creek one evening and pawns it off for money to help he...