Untraceable

By srjohannes

NOTE: If you read Untraceable, please consider POSTing an honest review on Amazon (or other platform). If you... More

Preface
Survival Skill #1
Survival Skill #2
Survival Skill #3
Survival Skill #4
Survival Skill #5
Survival Skill #6
Survival Skill #7
Survival Skill #8
Survival Skill #9
Survival Skill #10
Survival Skill #11
Survival Skill #12
Survival Skill #13
Survival Skill #14
Survival Skill #15
Survival Skill #16
Survival Skill #17
Survival Skill #18
Survival Skill #19
Survival Skill #20
Survival Skill #21
Survival Skill #22
Survival Skill #23
Survival Skill #24
Survival Skill #25
Survival Skill #27
Survival Skill #28
Survival Skill #29
Survival Skill #30
Survival Skill #31
Survivor Skill #32
Survivor Skill #33
Survival Skill #34
Survival Skill #35
Survival Skill #36
Survival Skill #37
Survival Skill #38
Survival Skill #39
Survival Skill #40
Survival Skill #41
Survival Skill #42
Survival Skill #43
Survival Skill #44
Survival Skill #45
Survival Skill #46
Survival Skill #47
Survival Skill #48
Survival Skill #49
Survival Skill #50
Survival Skill #51
Survival Skill #52
Epilogue
SNEAK PEEK: Uncontrollable - Prologue
Dear Reader
Call to Action!

Survival Skill #26

28.1K 694 100
By srjohannes

Tracks, especially human prints, lose their sharp edges over time due to weather conditions.

~

First thing Monday morning, I get up and head out before Mom even wakes up. Mama Sue’s place is the only store within a hundred miles that makes custom hiking boots. So maybe she can help me figure out where these prints came from.

After cutting through the town of Cherokee, I turn off the main road and onto Hwy 1410. The crowds are already lining up outside Cherokee’s Bear Park, waiting to “experience nature up close and personal.”

When I realize the store is only a few doors down from the bear pit attraction, a sick feeling ignites in my belly. I hate this place. People hitting animals with rotten apples. Bears living in cement corners without so much as a blade of grass in sight. Obese cubs begging for crappy food.

Stretching along the beautiful Oconaluftee River, the bear park is massive, offering a variety of bear species, a gem mine, a tubing center, a shooting range, and an indoor mall. For reasons I still don’t understand, the park isn’t subject to any national bear laws. Keeping animals in an unnatural habitat with these awful conditions is not only disrespectful to nature, but it goes against everything Native Americans represent.

I park and notice Wyn has already called twice and texted once. I turn my phone off to avoid him. The more I hang out with Mo, the more I find myself hiding from Wyn. I’m stuck between wanting to tell him what’s going on and not hurting him. A part of me is afraid I’ll lose him again too.

I head toward the shop, keeping my face down. I’m not supposed to be here. Chief Reed banned Dad and me from the reservation last year because of our persistent protesting. Hopefully the chief isn’t around today.

As I walk by the reinforced walls of the complex, I hear snippets of the things going on behind the scenes. Bears groaning, kids screeching, and people shouting, “Bear! Bear!” Don’t those people see how unhappy the bears are? Maybe if they understood the animal’s natural behavior, they’d be more appalled. What’s worse is that the chief doesn’t see it either. Or doesn’t care.

At last, I reach Mama Sue’s. The scent of leather wafts through the store, its walls lined with shoes: cowboy boots, hiking boots, and rain boots. A few clothing rounds break up the large, open space, displaying outdoor wear for fishing, hiking, and camping.

Mama Sue is helping a customer in the back. Dad always liked Sue, called her “Mama Grizzly.” From what he said, the woman is hardcore and tough as a rhino’s horn. Once, after being attacked by a bear, she crawled back to her cabin and sewed up her own head before calling for help.

Everyone knows Mama Sue doesn’t fool around.

As I wait for her to finish, I browse the store. A few articles about her attack hang on the wall next to a large bear hide. I’m guessing Mama Sue got her revenge after all. I lean in to read one about how she used to live so remotely that she could only provide her address by giving the latitude and longitude.

“Well, hello, young lady. How can I help you?”

The scruff voice startles me. I spin around and face Mama Grizzly. She’s wearing a leather river hat, chambray shirt, and black jeans. Her kinky brownish-gray hair is braided and hanging down to her waist. She crosses her arms. “Well? Speak up, child. I don’t have all day. Come to think of it, at my age, I probably don’t have much longer at all.” She coughs then smiles. “That means, you had better ask me something now. Before it’s too late.”

I make a point not to stare too long at the three deep scars running down her left cheek. “You’re Mama Sue?” Dumb question, I must be nervous.

She grips the blue spectacles hanging from a chain and balances them on the end of her pointy nose. “Maybe. Who wants to know?”

If she can take down a four-hundred-pound bear, I can only imagine what she could do to the average sixteen-year-old. My voice cracks. “I’m Grace Wells, and I wanted —”

She cuts me off. “Grace Wells! Good Lordy. As in Joe’s daughter?”

“The one and only.”

“My. My. Look how much you’ve grown!” Her face brightens. She yanks me into a bear hug with a vice grip that shows exactly how strong she really is. “Why, you look just like your daddy.” She wraps one arm around my shoulders and leads me in front of a photo hanging on the wall. She points to the picture of her and Dad. “He was a fine man.”

All I hear is the past tense. The room tilts a little bit, and for a second, I feel like I’m going to pass out. I center myself and can’t help but tug on the top of my t-shirt, hoping to stretch the collar to keep it from squeezing my throat. “Yes … he is.”

Her eyes soften as she nods slowly. “Is. Was. All the same to the Big Man upstairs.” We look in each other’s eyes for a second.

I prickle. “Well, it’s not the same to me.”

She pats my shoulder and smirks. “I see that. You know, you’re spunky. Like Joe. I like that. Now, why are you here? You must have come for something other than nothing.”

I slide the pictures out of my back pocket. “I want to know if you can tell what kind of boots made these prints.”

“Honey, do you know how many boots are out there? What makes you think I would know one from the other?”

I point outside. “Sign says, we know boots. I assume ‘we’ is you. Unless it’s false advertising. Which I doubt. Plus Dad always says you’re the best.”

Mama Sue busts out laughing. “You got guts and a sense of humor. Good for you.” She takes the pictures from me and studies the one I found by Al’s truck. She walks over to the wall and inspects the treads of a few shoes. “Hm. This one here is probably a High Tec. Size 10. I can tell by the tread. Pretty common around here.” She points to a larger print. “However, this bigger one looks custom made. Probably a size 11.”

I study the prints over her shoulder. The smaller one must be Billy’s and the custom one has to be Al’s. I summarize what’s she’s said to be sure I understand. “So these are definitely from two different boots?”

Mama Sue nods once. “That’s what I said.”

I stare at the custom one. “Has anyone been in here recently for custom-made boots?”

She scoffs. “A few. But none of these are mine.”

The knots in my stomach form a noose around my gut and cinch tighter. “How do you know?”

“Most bootmakers I know mark their work with signature treads.” She holds up a shoe. “This is mine. I try to do an S in the pattern. This one looks to have a couple notches in the heel.”

I hold up the picture from Station 19 and pray her assessment is different than mine. “What about this one? Do these prints match either one of those?”

She studies the photo for barely a second. “Nope. This one’s different.”

I sigh in defeat. Just as I feared. Why can’t anything be easy? If these are all different, who was the person at Station 19 that day?

Mama Sue takes off her glasses and studies me for a minute. “I know most of the people who do custom boots around these parts. Why don’t you let me keep these photos, and I’ll do some digging for you?”

I only hesitate a second. If Dad trusts her, so can I. After making copies of the pictures for Mama Sue and leaving her my cell number, I leave the air-conditioned store, but not before sneaking a peak at the photo of my dad.

Outside, the heat attacks my skin and fills my lungs with hot air. This time, I cross the street and walk in the shade on the opposite side of the bear pits.

I shuffle along the sidewalk, staring at my feet. I’m so close to figuring this thing out, but something is sitting just beyond my mind’s grasp. Think, think.

Just as I round the corner, I smack right into a man.

A deep voice chastises me. “What the hell are you doing on my reservation?”

I shield my eyes and look up to find Chief Reed staring down at me. Something tells me to note specific details about him in my head. Dressed in faded jeans and a white button-down shirt, he plays with a Native American bolo tie made of braided leather, silver, and turquoise beads dangling from his neck.

I stutter at first, trying to come up with a good explanation. “Visiting Mama Sue.” I back up a few steps to put some distance between us and collect my wavering confidence. “Besides, just because you ask me not to come here, doesn’t mean you scare me away from trying to close these bear pits.”

His face remains stoic, his eyes black and menacing. “I didn’t ask, I forbade it. Do you want to get arrested?”

I scoff. “You can’t arrest me.”

He plays with his braid. “The rules are different here on my reservation. You may not know that, but your dad sure did.”

My lip quivers. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Chief Reed shrugs. “He knew the consequences of hanging out around here. You should too.”

I grit my teeth. “What are you saying? Did you have something to do with my dad going missing?”

“Me? Why would you say that?”

I cross my arms to hide my shaking hands. “My dad was all over you about those bears. Was close to shutting you down, which would have cost you millions in profits.”

“Those bears are well taken care of.”

I wrinkle my nose. “Wow, you’re either really dumb, lying to yourself, or just plain evil. Last year, you wrote in your book ‘respect of nature, the animals, the winged ones, and every living creature is honored as demonstrating sacredness.’ By the way, I didn’t buy it. Just saw it at the bookstore. Wouldn’t give you a dime; I know where it all goes.” I point to the bear pit.

Chief Reed acts all innocent, but I see a smile hiding behind his eyes. His amusement frustrates me but I try to hold back from saying anything. “On the reservation, accusing a Tribal Council official could be considered a crime.”

“You can’t do that. Free speech.”

He grabs my arm and leans in with a fake smile on his face as to not attract attention. “On my reservation, I can do what I please.” He taps his finger on my forehead. “The sooner you get that into your sweet little head, the safer you’ll be. Now get out of here,” he sneers and winks, “before you disappear too.”

Chief Reed walks off and shakes some hands of a few tourists. I’m left standing alone, steaming, with my mouth hanging open. Wishing more than anything I could throw his butt in a cement pit and toss tomatoes at his head.

He looks back over his shoulder and waves goodbye.

Here I am, stuck on Al. But maybe there’s a suspect I haven’t considered yet.

Chief Reed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 2.9K 2
[Story removed for querying and publishing] Fairy Godmother in training, Zelda Ravensdale is starting her fourth and final year at Madame LeBleu's sc...
100K 3.3K 40
Y/N was a teenage introvert who enjoyed having her own space and being alone. She loved listening to music in her room, which was a great escape for...
89K 2.8K 5
Alexander Langley wasn't looking for trouble but Charlotte Porter found him anyway. Only, this new partnership has them in over their heads and way b...
91.1K 2.9K 51
𝐒𝐂𝐇𝐎𝐎𝐋 𝐁𝐔𝐒 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐘𝐀𝐑𝐃 "𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚢 𝚝𝚘 𝚐𝚘, 𝚒𝚜 𝚒𝚗 𝚜𝚝𝚢𝚕𝚎. 𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚜 𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚢𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚑 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚗 𝚊 𝚖𝚘𝚝...