The Wind and the Horizon (Boo...

By star-powered

The Wind and the Horizon is book 2 in the Starborn Series. Read the Watty Award-winning first book in the ser... More

✨ Author's Notes ✨
Interlude Two
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Interlude Three

Chapter Eleven

2.3K 251 21
By star-powered

Content Warning: Strong language

For a heartbeat no one spoke.

Em's wide eyes, filled with surprise, flickered from one face to the next, her grip tightening reflexively around May's shoulder.

"Dom, what the fuck?" she demanded. She looked ready to run or fight, whichever was necessary first.

Holding his palms up in surrender, Dom kept his focus locked on her. He could sense her mix of fear and anger from where he stood. A part of him wanted to bridge that gap, to coax her down to a peaceful place with a compassionate touch. He knew her well enough to stay back. His heart ached, reflecting on how he had hoped his first reunion with these friends would go; so different from the scenario he found himself in now.

"Please, Em," he begged. "These people need your help. You've got to know I wouldn't have lead them to you if I didn't believe that."

And that was the problem - Em did know Dom believed he was doing the right thing. He was so good, and helping people was in his nature. For the first time she regretted not being more honest with him, for waiting so long to tell him her truth in what wound up being just a hastily abridged version anyway. She didn't know what these people told him but there was no way he could have realized just how far away from them she had hoped to stay. For that she had no one to blame but herself.

Despite having tried to avoid it, Em eventually let herself look at the man gaping at her from the centre of the room. His dark eyes were troubled beneath a mess of unruly red hair, his expression that of someone who had just been slapped - hard. His companions glanced uncomfortably between him and Em, none of them speaking until the blond man with sad green eyes cleared his throat.

"We aren't here to hurt you," he said, his voice gentle and low. "But he's right, we need your help. We've been trying to find you for a long time and we hope you'll hear us out."

Em licked her lips and let out a shaky exhale. It took her a moment to reply.

"Why us? Why me?"

The man opened his mouth to answer but it was his redheaded friend that stepped forward.

"It's a long story, so we should probably start from the beginning." He offered his hand for her to shake. He didn't smile. "My name is Jeremy."

May let out a barely audible gasp, flinching imperceptibly to everyone but Em, whose arm was still draped protectively around her. Instead of acknowledging May's surprise, Em took Jeremy's hand and gave it a single, firm shake.

"Emanthy."

The moment between the two seem to hang, but around them their friends exchanged wide-eyed glances. Everyone was tense.

At last Jeremy pulled back his hand and gestured to his companions.

"This is Connor," he said of his blond friend. "His wife, Rue. And that's Priva."

Jeremy watched Em's face carefully as he spoke, looking for something he didn't seem to find as she nodded curtly in turn from Connor, to the golden-eyed Rue, and finally at Priva, who at least gave a slight wave back. In response, Jeremy frowned deeper and looked away, missing the way Em's knuckles faded to white as she gripped at the loose edges of May's shirt - the only hint she was reeling.

Another deep breath. Em slid her hand - clammy with nerves - to the small of May's back and rolled her shoulders so she stood a little taller.

"I see you've already met my girlfriend, May."

A person would have to be dead to miss the shockwave that shot through the room. May forced a small smile and resisted the urge to press tighter into the protection of Em's side. She wasn't sure what had happened but she knew the mood had gone from bad to worse. With anxiety swelling inside her she watched as Connor, Rue, and Priva glanced at one another but said nothing. Between them, May could see Dom holding his breath.

Jeremy remained locked on Em, his jaw tight and his expression stiff.

"It's nice to meet you both," he said at last, turning away as he did so.

May met Em's eyes.

She wondered if Em could tell he was lying, too.

**********

Like the story? Want to help support my writing?

Donate: ko-fi.com/maggie
Subscribe: patreon.com/MaggieDerrick

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 5.2K 59
Alana is torn between two men. Two men who hate each other. Two men who want her. Two men who lie so the other wouldn't have her. Wanting to live...
72.4K 2.6K 76
Aloy meets a strange girl named Kïma and gets to know her and her even stranger world, based on the study of the Old Ones, on hunting and exploring. ...
956 104 36
Bell suffers from memory loss and in the winds there is a stalker on the rise once more. Notes are gifted to make her aware of his presence. What wil...
7.2K 779 62
A sequel to Hannah and her Happy Harem, however Hannah is not required reading before reading this story. Light in a Storm is a stand alone book. Als...