The Hero Of Hyrule

By KarkatVantabulous

Link did all he had to do. He defeated Calamity Ganon he activated and completed all the shrines. He was done... More

The End of the Silent Princess
An Encounter with the Zora
The Champions and their Divine Beasts: Part I
The Champions and Their Divine Beasts: Part II
Link Faces A Possible Mental Breakdown
Link's Prayers
Sidon Accompanies Link
Rain
Journey Across Hyrule
Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Diary
Preparations for the Ceremony
The New King of Hyrule
Advice from Dorephan
Hyrule Historia: Part I
Temporary Answer To A Confusing Problem
Hyrule Historia: Part II
Hyrule Historia: Part III
Hyrule Historia: Part IIII
New Zora Traditions
Confession
Visions
Visions: Hylian Edition
Wedding
After Story: New Additions to the Family

Engagement

2.2K 63 30
By KarkatVantabulous

"Hold still!" Impa had infinite patience but for some reason all that ran out when she tried to comb Link's hair. Goddess, that boy never did comb his hair. She found twigs in there! He hasn't been out in the forests for ages!

"It hurts. You're hurting your king and for that I will probably do something about it." Impa hummed and rolled her eyes as she continued running the brush through his mass of tangled hair.

"Go on, your highness. Throw this frail old woman in jail for a hundred years or so." Link snorted. He didn't know what it was about the Sheikah Elder that made him feel like a young child. Maybe it was the fact that she treated him like her own, maybe it was the fact that he knew he could be more relaxed around her. Whatever it was he was grateful he has those small moments where he could sit and pretend that he was a little boy and Impa was his mother or grandmother trying to comb his too messy hair.

"You really should cut your hair soon. It's about half way down your back and is full tangles." Link nodded but both of them knew he wouldn't cut his hair anytime soon. Impa finished up and tied his hair back into his usual ponytail. She walked slowly around him and admired her work. "I remember when I used to comb Paya's hair. She'd squirm nearly as much as you do." The elder chuckled and slowly walked to the pillow Link placed his crown on. When she placed it in his head, Impa made sure the crown didn't ruin her expertly made ponytail.

This day was the day he was to be engaged. Nearly the entire kingdom was invited to the Zora's Domain just to see the King of Hyrule and Prince of the Zora get engaged. So many people, so much food. So many people. Link didn't even want to think of how many there would be at his wedding. No, no. This wasn't the time to think of that. Right now Link had bigger fish to fry- er, engage.

"Are you going to finish getting dressed or will you just stand there looking confused until it is time to leave?" Link blinked and nodded. Impa was already sitting in her usual spot and staring at Link who was staring off into space. "I have personally chosen what you will wear from what you brought. Thank Hylia you brought a variety. That green tunic, little shorts, and pointy hat may have been appropriate attire for defeating the Calamity, and perhaps was considered to be something fancy back in the era of the Hero of Time, but not for an engagement." Link grinned and shrugged before he jogged up the stairs to Impa and Paya's shared room. Of course Paya chose the most...royal looking clothes. A long, deep blue coat (robe? It certainly looked like one to Link) with golden-yellow shoulders that protruded out. The little buttons were gold as well and each one had the Triforce engraved on it. All around the end yellow threads created a pattern of swirls that vaguely reminded Link of the patterns on the ancient shrines, his cuffs held the same pattern and color. The shirt he wore underneath that coat was white though its ruffled design didn't make it as blinding as it should have been (but it at least made Link feel a bit like a pirate). His shirt buttons were, as expected, little triangles. He was starting to get tired of the Triforce but he had to deal with it again, his belt had a gigantic Triforce on the center of it. Thankfully his pants were just off-white and his boots were simply boots. Though the heels on them were just a half inch higher than normal.

After getting dressed Link trudged down the stairs, he felt overdressed but what could he do? This was normal King attire, if anything he was always severely under-dressed. Impa smiled once she saw him and waved him over. She had a wooden box in her lap which she opened when Link was close enough. She pulled out a variety of rings (most of them having the Triforce but some had small gems with the symbols of the Goddesses on them) and gave most of them to Link. He asked if maybe this was a bit too much. Impa scoffed and proclaimed that this was a very special event, he might as well be as fancy as ever!

Finally, finally, after nearly an entire morning of primping and preparing, Link piled into his royal carriage with Paya and Impa. The two Sheikah had on lovely blue robes that was supposedly only worn for special occasions. Impa took the time to paint on the Sheikah symbol on her left eye, something she constantly had when she was younger. Throughout the trip to the Zora's Domain the three talked. Impa eased Link's nerves and Paya eased Impa's nerves (Impa was slightly worried that Link would accidentally do something to ruin the day due to his nerves like run off and accidentally anger the nearby Lynel. Much to Impa's pleasure Link would do no such thing that day). As they talked Link clutched a small package, Paya questioned him what it was at one point what it was but Link refused to answer.

They arrived just a few hours after midday. The path up to the Zora's Domain was crowded with many different people from around the kingdom. While the path was long no one complained, the scenery was amazing and everyone enjoyed it. The three hopped out the carriage and began walking with everyone else. Link's arms were locked with both Paya's and Impa's. As they walked he nearly yanked both women around as he excitedly pointed at the different areas where he defeated some sort of enemy.

Meanwhile, Sidon was pacing back and forth in front of his father. He had spent a better part of the day under the water in his room, preparing for the day. It took three Zoras to help him out on the many pieces of jewelry that the Zora royals wore for special occasions. Sidon's head was covered in silver and diamond jewelry. A very beautiful headdress rested on his head and wrapped around the his shark tail, the Zora crest hung off a chain that was wrapped around the base of that tail. He had on his crown, something he wore only twice before. When Mipha was announced to be a champion and when Mipha was announced dead, at least now he could use it for a happy occasion. His everyday neck jewelry was replaced with something more royal. While this one looked the same it adorned several pieces of luminous stone that would gave a beautiful glow at night. His bracelets were changed for ones that matched his neck jewelry. The mini-scarf he wore was changed for a light blue one that had the Zora crest embedded on it. On top of that he had a necklace resting, the necklace had the Triforce on it as a nod to the Hylians and who he was engaging.

All of this jewelry was heavy and Sidon thought he would drown with it all on. He was almost scared to go up the waterfall that led to his father's throne room. But he made it and now he was pacing back and forth. He was nervous and prayed to the Goddess statue that everything would go as planned. As more guests began filing into the Domain it became more crowded and Sidon got more nervous. People brought food (thank Hylia, with this many people here Sidon was starting to get worried there wouldn't be enough to go around) and some brought gifts. As the guests mingled and talked among themselves Sidon tried his best to calm down.

"My son, do not worry." Dorephan leaned over and patted Sidon's back with one gigantic finger. "All will go well, I promise you." Sidon smiled at his fathers kind words and and hugged his hand. "You should be enjoying yourself, not worrying. It is a grand day, one to go into Zora history for ages! The beginning of a brand new tradition. The beginning of a new era for Hyrule! The beginning of a new era for the Zora!" Sidon smiled again and took a deep breath. His father was right, Sidon couldn't worry. Everything would be fine. He had his gifts, he had his speech, everything would go as planned.

"My, things have gone quiet haven't they?" Dorephan muttered. The Zora Prince's eyes widened. The chatter of the guests had gone silent and that could only mean one thing.

"My Prince!" Muzu called out as he emerged from the crowd. Sidon was ready to pass out. "The Hylian King has arrived. Come, let us take you to your position." Sidon nodded and waved to his father before he followed Muzu into the crowd. The crowd parted for him and in another area it parted for Link. While Sidon couldn't see the Hylian King (he kept his gaze down) he was certain Link had seen him. Sidon was placed at the very entrance of the Zora's Domain. From there he could see everyone. Since there were so many guests some were up on the stairs, in the shops, by the throne room, anywhere there was space. Link was standing in front of Mipha's statue, ready to begin the ceremony. He looked uncomfortable in his own Royal attire but he had on the biggest Sidon had ever seen.

"Mhmm." Muzu hummed, Sidon looked down at him. "You have your gift, yes? Good. Now I do hope you don't forget anything you need to say." Sidon nodded. "May the Goddess bless you, Sidon." Muzu smiled and patted the Prince's arm before he turned around and walked to Link. Oh Hylia. The ceremony was starting.

Music played from somewhere. Sidon didn't take the time to look. He kept his eyes locked on the statue of his sister as he walked up to his Hylian lover. The music stopped when he stood directly in front of Link, both of them were on both sides of Muzu.  The bowed to one another in respect then stood still and waited for Muzu to begin.

"Ladies and gentleman. Zora and visiting guests, it is my pleasure to announce that we are here to witness the beginning of a brand new tradition for the Zora Princes." The elder's voice boomed out which surprised Sidon. Muzu was usually rather quiet and his voice was almost always hoarse. "Sidon, Prince of the Zora, son of King Dorephan. The Domain has admired him for his brave acts in protecting us and those outside the Kingdom. He has defeated great Octoroks terrorizing villages and helped appease the Divine Beast which held the spirit of our dear Princess Mipha captive. We all admire him and his excellence, we all know you will be a wonderful king." Everyone clapped, the Zora's clapping a bit louder than others.

"Link, King of Hyrule, Hylian Champion, Hero chosen by the Goddesses. The entire kingdom has witnessed your courageous acts in protecting this land. You have gone through many hardships; losing your memory, losing your friends and family, losing the princess. You were thrown into royalty unfairly and without a clue and yet you have been a wonderful King to this slowly re growing kingdom. You have reclaimed all Divine Beasts and freed the spirits of the champions, you have protected the people of this land without a care of your own safety, you have freed us all from the Calamity. We all admire your divine courage and we pray that the Goddesses reward you appropriately." Everyone clapped once more, the Zora's clapping a bit louder once again.

"These two souls," Muzu continued once the clapping died down, "have found one another somehow. They have grown closer with each day they spend together. We will never truly know when the two clicked. Perhaps it was when they calmed Vah Ruta, perhaps it was when they traveled all of Hyrule together, perhaps it was in their time in the castle. Whatever the case may be their spirits have intertwined and the two have fallen for one another. It is clear to any that sees the two together that they care deeply for one another. And while people may argue and deny this love all they want," at this Muzu looked up at Sidon with a small smile, "they cannot ignore that these two are obviously fated for one another." Sidon smiled at the Zora elder with teary eyes. That was, probably, the sweetest thing Muzu has said.

"We will now begin with the giving of  the gifts. Sidon, the Zora Prince, shall now give Link his gifts." Muzu stepped back and suddenly all eyes were on Sidon. He felt like he was going to throw up. Sidon fumbled with the two large boxes he had set down besides him. He held one beautifully decorated box up in each hand and knelt down, bowing his head. He cleared his throat and spoke in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Link, Hylian King. For you I have made these gifts as a symbol of the love I feel for you. I pray you accept them as well as I pray you allow me to take your hand in marriage." Link took both boxes and gently set them down, opened them up and took the sword and shield out. His eyes widened as he stared at the beautifully crafted weapons in his hands. "Following the old Zora Princess tradition I have made something that can protect you in battle. While I pray to the Goddess Hylia that you don't ever need to be in battle again, I know that is impossible. With these gifts I pray that the scales I have embedded in them will be able to protect you." Sidon looked up at the Hylian King who was still holding the sword and shield. Link had tears in his eyes and a wide smile plastered on his face. As Sidon stood up Link signed out the words he wanted to hear.

"I accept these gifts." Sidon's breath got caught in his throat, his own tears threatening to stream onto his cheeks. Before Sidon could speak again, Link began signing once more. This time, however, Paya translated what Link was signing.

"Before anything else happens, I have a gift of my own." Paya said. She had volunteered to translate for Link, much to Link and Impa's surprise. Yes, she was usually a very shy girl and would much rather keep to herself but there were times where she felt a surge of bravery course through her veins and she was able to do things like this. She was a Sheikah after all, and much like her grandmother. "I know it isn't something really relevant to the old or new Zora tradition but I felt like it was appropriate." Link took a poorly wrapped gift from Impa and knelt down, holding it up to Sidon who immediately took it. "Your happiness is my happiness. I know things haven't been so great since Mipha died in battle, I know you think you don't deserve me or whatever you feel is wrong because of what Mipha felt. I know you miss your sister every day and would like some physical reminder of her and how much you loved her. And maybe this will also be a reminder for you of how much I love you, even if it isn't something I made with my own two hands." Sidon blinked in confusion and opened the gift with shaky hands. Sidon gasped when he saw what was inside, this time the tears did fall. "It isn't the exact one Mipha wore when she went into combat but I know she did wear this proudly at one point. I hope you can accept my gift and I hope you know that she is proud of you for everything you've done. Not just for me, but for the Kingdom." Sidon stared down at the light blue sash Mipha had worn at one point in her life. He didn't know how Link had found this sash (it was probably hidden deep in the castle) but he was just glad he did.

The Hylian King stood up to his the Zora Prince crying with the sash in his hands. Sidon whispered out "I accept your gift as well". 

Muzu cleared his threat and Sidon nodded. He calmed himself and took Link's hand in his own. He took a deep breath in and began speaking once more.

"Link. King of Hyrule. Hylian Champion and Hero of Hyrule." The Zora Prince took Link's hands in his own. "I have known you for as long as I can remember. When you awoke from your century long slumber your helped me save my home and my people. When we ventured out into Hyrule to explore you opened your heart to me, you helped me see a part of you no one else has. When you began your life as King you went through many different things, there were points where you would give up. You would believe you hadn't fulfilled your duty as protector of this kingdom. You believed you were a horrible ruler. There were points where you had nightmares of previous heroes visit you and tell you you were a failure. You have gone through so much anguish in your life and yet your dedication to better others and keep everyone safe is a never ending ray of light that Hyrule needs. Link, many people will ask me why you're the one I have fallen for. What is so special about the Hylian that has been seen running around in outlandish costumes picking fights with monsters? Well I'm here to say why I have fallen for you."

"People see you as the hero, the king, the champion, the hylian, a traveler. They see you as the one with the sword that always happens to be at the right place at the right time. I see you as something more. You're kind hearted soul and you care deeply for Hyrule and all it's people. You love animals and will do anything in your power to keep one from getting hurt. You're stubborn and believe you can do almost anything on your own even when you know you can't. You were thrown into a life of responsibility too soon and yet you still try to hold your head up high. I see these things everyday. I see your courage, your courage, and not the one placed in you to complete the task of defeating the darkness. I see you go through so many different things each day and you never give up. I suppose over time after I have gotten to know you for long these feelings were bound to develop. I even began questioning my own love for you. Was I in love with you or the thought of you? The answer is both. I love the thought of you living the happy life you deserve. I love the thought of you not having to live your life as if it were a constant war zone. I love the thought of you being the knight in shining armor to not just me, but everyone. And I love you because you're a strong person. You never give up even when your chances seem slim. You are a dedicated friend and leader. You are loyal and will be there for me whenever I need you. For me, you have done much more than needed. For me you try to give me the moon and the stars in the sky. For me you have allowed yourself to become vulnerable and allowed me to help heal you. I love you not because you're the Hero of Hyrule but because you're so much more than that. You're the Hylian who is dedicated to himself and others, you pour your heart and soul into everything you do, you understand thoughts and emotions that most people cannot comprehend because of your own experiences. You are someone so unique and so full of life and so special. You have captured my heart and for those very reasons I love you. And for those very reasons I ask you, will you marry me?"

Sidon couldn't pause to take a proper breath before Link rapidly signed out his answer. This time it didn't matter if Paya didn't translate in her rather loud voice, everyone could see Link nodding his head as his hands furiously signed the short word before he threw himself onto his Zora fiancé. The entire domain cheered and clapped as Sidon bent down to lift Link up. 

From that moment forward everything would be a blur. The celebration quickly followed the engagement ceremony and pretty soon everyone was either gathering around both Sidon and Link and congratulating them or they were dancing along to the music playing with a Noble Pursuit in their hand (or some other, calmer drink if that was more their taste). For hours and hours the guests all partied to their hearts desire. More than a few times did their celebrating get a bit too out of hand but the few sober guests and the many guards managed to reel in the guests. However they did have a hard time trying to get the drunken Hylian King down from the very top of the giant fish that decorated the domain. Sidon (who thankfully hadn't touched a Noble Pursuit and wasn't planning on touching one) simply laughed as Link tried to show off to those down below how high up he was. After a bit, Teba grumbled something about Link accidentally falling before he flew up and got the King down. 

The party went on for quite some time. Most guests left by the time the sun was rising the next morning. The rest went back home around noon. The Zora Domain wasn't as trashed as most would expect it to be. Surprisingly enough a vast majority of the guests were very good on actually tossing their garbage. The few Zora people who still had the energy to be awake were cleaning up what was left of the mess, making sure not to step on the Hylian King (who was laying on the ground and staring up at the sky, the inch and a half of water that constantly covered the floor relaxed him after such a eventful night). After a bit, Sidon joined him.

As the two tiredly stared up at the morning sky Link slowly inched his hand closer to Sidon's. His hand brushed against his Zora fiance's and within a moment their hands were loosely holding onto each other. Link smiled sighed contently. He couldn't wait to marry the Zora Prince.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 161 62
Time has passed. Hyrule is getting rebuilt. Zelda on the other hand is not quite sure what to do. She is no longer a princess, She's a queen with res...
463 12 3
"....How? ....How did it come to this? The Divine Beasts... the Guardians.... they've all turned against us. It was... Calamity Ganon. It turned them...
137 2 39
10 years after the defeat of Calamity Ganon, Hyrule was restored to it's former glory, with Zelda a respected Queen, and Link a celebrated Hero. Howe...
255K 8.6K 61
A hundred years ago, a group of Champions had planned and trained to fight Calamity Ganon. None of them could have predicted what actually ended up h...