The Fairest (Book #1)

By GoldFantasy

A prophecy was given to the Realm of Valeera, but only one kingdom took heed to it and set forth a law that w... More

AUTHOR'S GREET
REMEMBER THIS
1: The Purple Thief
2: The Lost Ones
3: Truths and Promises
4: Traditions
5: The Rescue
6: Freedom
7: The Fiisen
8: Immediate Fate
9: Court Appearance
10: An Enlightenment
11: Inner Joy
12: The Escort
13: Haminast ov Casad
14: Special
15: Number Two
16: Gideon
17: The Gift
18: The Ledge
19: Fair Consequences
20: Eyes and Ears
21: Sanction Ritual
22: Heart
23: Plans
24: Letter
25: Plan B
26: Royal Hospitality
27: Prayer
28: The Parade
29: The Diviine Decision
30: Nightmare
31: The Altar
32: The Fairest
33: Identifiers
34: It's Gone
35: A King
36: The Cursed Truth
37: Rasheem
38: The Rescue
39: The Merging
40: The Divine Six
41: A Little Trip
42: Find Her
44: The Base
43: Accusations
45: Selfless Courage
46: Welcome Back
47: Purple Veins
48: A Coincidence
50: Indescribable Joy
Publishing News Update!

49: The Search

1K 112 5
By GoldFantasy

The chaos was shedding its mask tonight. Even in the priest's bedchambers, off a short quarter on the second floor of the Diviine Temple, gave no relief from the noise of the riots rampaging through Ardania. Yet a peaceful aura danced about the room, dimly lit by the fire in the hearth. After Suella had returned, checked Gris' wounds, and washed and bandaged him up, she left to check on Lord Dorian and the food.

Mageia grabbed a chair at the dining table to sit beside Gris on the bed. She leaned close to her unexpected companion, sleeping soundly. She gently brushed his wild curls from his forehead. The bruises that were on his face were lighter since she miraculously healed him an hour ago. He'd been asleep ever since. Up close, the boy looked at peace with no care in the world. His soft snores somehow calmed her rattled nerves. His eyelashes were so long, kissing his smooth amber cheeks. And he had nice, full lips that slightly twitched as he dreamt.

Mageia's purple eyes widened in embarrassment at noticing such details. Just days ago, she would have scolded him if their paths crossed on the street.

The door opened, and she stood, hand touching the imprint of the dagger in her pocket. Lord Dorian entered carrying a silver pitcher with cups and held the door open for Suella, carrying their meal on a tray.

"Forgive us for the long wait, my lady," Lord Dorian said. "I had to make a few rounds around the Temple before helping Suella with the food."

"Yes, apparently, the kitchen staff also decided to leave," she added with annoyance written on her round face. She went straight for the dining table and began to unload everything.

Mageia tucked her dagger away and approached. A medium pot of soup steamed and graced her nose with the delicious smell of venison and vegetables. Hot fluffy rolls glazed with butter tempted her to grab one and stuff it into her mouth. The pitcher held a dark juice that made her dry mouth moisten with anticipation to be quenched. Mageia narrowed her eyes at the Diviine Priest. The man's calm demeanor and gentle movements seemed majestic, almost spirit-like as he prepared the table.

Suella slipped away to check on Gris. "Your Highness? Can you wake up for a moment and sit up to eat something?"

Gris moaned, and Mageia caught his slight nod. With gentle hands, Suella helped him sit up against the headboard. She felt his forehead with the back of her head and frowned.

"Still a bit feverish, but once you fill your belly and renew your strength, it should go away," she explained.

"Thank you, my lady," Gris rasped.

The priest now stood with his hands clasped together at the end of the table, wearing a peaceful smile. "Please, sit, my lady," he said.

Mageia sat down, and Suella began to serve the meal.

"Did you really resurrect?" Suella inquired.

"Um ... Yes." Mageia shifted in her seat.

"It had to have been terrifying. Burning up like that," she said.

Mageia pursed her lips and swallowed hard to block the horrid memories from resurfacing.

"Suella, please be respectful," Lord Dorian remarked.

"Oh, I'm sorry, my lady," she mumbled. "I'm just - It was so amazing, scary, and unbelievable. I was on the Holy Altar and saw everything. And the night sky was so purple."

"It was?" Mageia said and wished she had seen it. When Sii abducted her from the infirmary, the sky was dark, gloomy, and tainted with smoke.

Suella bobbed her head and gave a sweet smile. "Yes. A beautiful shade of purple, just like your eyes."

Lord Dorian gave a humble chuckle. "Suella."

"Oh, I'm so sorry," she apologized, backing away and shaking her head. "I should be the last person speaking to you, rather in your presence. I am Fair-was Fair, but I don't know. I was one of the ... misled ones. If you know what I mean. Father has been enlightening me these last few months."

"Perhaps we can speak on those enlightenments another time," Lord Dorian chimed.

"Yes, my Lord," she responded formally, then finished serving their bowls before going to help Gris sip his soup.

"We all have had our misconceptions about the Fair Laws," Lord Dorian said. "But after what we've witnessed tonight, we will be defined by how we respond. And right now, I would like to offer this meal and assist my prince. Depending on the situation, I can offer my assistance to return him to the palace."

"We'll see," Mageia said.

She stirred her bowl of soup and tasted some. She almost moaned aloud from the delicious tang of seasoning. For a few minutes, they all ate in silence, listening to the chaos outside and the fire flickering in the hearth. Then some questions popped into her mind to further test this priest's morality and trustworthiness.

"Lord Dorian," Mageia said.

"Just Dorian, if you like."

"Dorian...Do you conduct executions?"

His brows furrowed in disapproval. "I avoid them the best I can. I don't do well with watching people die in gruesome ways. I've sought an amendment for a more decent method. Ones that do not require as much mess or pain, something more compassionate, but some priests like the performance, the fear. Gris and I have made joint inquiries from time to time to present before the Court. But as usual, there were always obstacles."

"Exactly how long have you known Gris?"

He stirred his soup and gave her an assuring smile. "I have known Prince Grisonce since he was twelve, entering the Academy with a lot to say and an open mind for knowledge. I've advised him on many things. I heard of his theory about you at the last minute, of course, by Lord Hercones and immediately agreed. I taught and still do teach the Sacred word, meditation, and combat at the Academy, but my priestly duties always come first. So, I am keen to providing hospitality to anyone in need."

"Combat?" She never heard of a holy man wielding a sword before.

"Hand combat for clarity, my Fairest," he said with a spike of humor.

Mageia's cheeks grew warm with slight embarrassment. Gris had just called her that a few minutes ago, and it didn't settle too well with her. Her smile demised into a frown, and she stared into her bowl.

The middle-aged priest leaned forward with concern. "Are you okay? Did I say something wrong?"

"I would prefer you call me Mageia, not my Fairest."

His almond-shaped eyes widened, and his mouth curved into an O. "Forgive me. Mageia. Such a beautiful name," he complimented.

"Thank you," she said.

"Still haven't grasped the fact of your being, I see?"

She shook her head. "It's strange."

"I bet it is. Did you know of your anointing before the sacrifice?"

"As you saw back in the Taefo, no."

He nodded. "I see. Please accept my apologies for everything that has happened to you. If Gris had informed me of his studies and his theory months ago, I doubt this would've happened. I may be a lowly man, but I do have some pull within the palace."

Mageia narrowed her eyes at the priest and boldly said, "Like Ameri?"

Dorian's spoon stopped midway; before it returned to the bowl. He glanced innocently around Mageia to Suella, whispering and chuckling with Gris. Mageia smirked, grateful for her observational skills.

"As I mentioned those enlightenments earlier," Dorian said, the volume of his voice a tad bit lower. "I'd prefer to speak on them under better circumstances."

"And why not now?" Mageia asked. Yes, they just officially met, but her senses screamed with curiosity to know more about this strange Diviine Priest of Dawnis.

"Something happened to you and the prince since the sacrifice," Dorian stated. "If you tell me what happened, perhaps, I could intervene."

"I would like to know, too," Suella added, possibly revealing she had exceptional hearing.

Mageia glanced back at the student and Gris, who now sat fully alert, but she could see a glint of darkness behind his eyes.

Mageia frowned and nibbled on her bottom lip where a scab had formed where Eron had bitten her. The tingling sensation of unwanted pleasure lingered there from his twisted kiss. It only added fuel to her hatred towards the commander.

"Eron Shadar," she said, wishing she could scream his cursed name to everyone in the realm.

"The Commander?" Dorian asked.

Gris cut his eye contact with Mageia and glared angrily across the room. She looked at the Diviine Priest, who possessed a confused expression.

"He had some men of his abduct me from the royal infirmary," Mageia said. "He would have beaten Gris to death if my magic hadn't intervened. I helped Gris leave a base in an underground tunnel, and somehow the tunnels brought us into the basement below this Temple."

Mageia purposely excluded the part about Eron's confession. The terrifying Fiisen was the brother of the kindhearted Grisonce Arlon. This new fact appalled her still, and mentioning it to this priest may not have been a good idea. Especially when she hadn't discussed it with Gris yet.

Dorian shook his head. "Oh, Eron. He's lost his way."

"He is a monster," Mageia snarled, clenching her fist. "This is why me and Gris need to hide until things die down."

"The riots outside will make it difficult for travel up north anyways," Dorian said. "Perhaps I can send the king a message on your behalf, Your Highness?"

"That is a great idea," Gris agreed. "My father, he may be in danger, too."

"I see," the priest said.

"Lord Dorian, you should know this, but Lord Hercones is dead," she said, and the priest's face lit up in more shock. Suella gasped, jaw dropping all the way down. Mageia clenched her hands on the table. "Eron was behind it. The men he sent to kidnap me killed Hercones, some temple soldiers, a temple slave, and a nurse for no reason at all."

"Great gods." The Diviine Priest pressed a hand to his heart. Mageia watched Dorian fight to keep the serenity in his face, but grief could make mountains shatter.

"I'm sorry, but you've been so kind, and you deserved to know."

"Thank you, my lady," he muttered, staring into the fire.

A thunderous knock made the two of them jump in unison. Gris stirred on the bed. Mageia felt for the dagger in her dress, and Suella hopped to her feet.

"Lord Dorian, are you within?" a man barked with great authority.

"It's Owen," Dorian said.

"Who?" Mageia whispered. She stood and exchanged glances with Gris.

"My Knight Escort," he explained, then approached the door.

"What is it you want?" the priest inquired and casually locked the door as if panicking was not in his nature.

"The Temple is being searched top to bottom for intruders," Owen responded through the door. "I only wanted to assure your safety."

"I am fine in here," he said. "Thank you very much."

"Tell him to open the door," a familiar voice said.

Mageia's heart somersaulted. She waved at Gris in great panic. The prince carefully began to climb out the bed.

"Hide us, now," he whispered to Suella.

"The closet," she replied quietly. With careful steps, she helped Gris limp over to the double-door closet.

"Is that really necessary?" Dorian asked.

"Yes, I'm sorry. It's been instructed by Commander Shadar."

Damn, he's awake. They found us!

Mageia searched the priest's quarters for somewhere to hide. She ran to one of the windows and saw it was sealed shut.

"There," Suella whispered. She glanced at the girl, who pointed at the space under the bed. The red comforters were huge enough to cover most of it.

"Open the door, my Lord. Right now," Ser Owen said, twisting the knob.

Dorian mouthed, "I'm sorry," and aimed to unlock the door.

Mageia dropped to the floor and slid under the bed. Suella ran to sit at Mageia's spot at the table just as the door unlocked and the Knight Escort entered.

"Owen. God's above. What is going on?" Dorian asked. "Can we not finish our meal in peace?"

Mageia held her breath, although her drumming heart was so loud, she knew the knight would be able to hear it.

The knight, who she recognized as the bald-headed one with the mahogany beard from the Taefo, entered. His small eyes appeared almost as slits on his round face as they canvased the room. Dorian clasped his hands together and fell calm as a cloud.

"A mass search has been ordered," he said.

"Yes, and all rooms must be checked, even the occupied ones," the familiar voice added.

Mageia gave an inner growl and pushed herself further enough to peek out.

"Step aside, please. I have some questions for the priest," the soldier said.

The Knight Escort obeyed with a scowling expression, revealing the blue-eyed shadowdemon risen from his slumber.

A/N

Thank you so much for reading! Please give it a vote or a comment. I appreciate it deep to my heart. 

Thank you,

From LeQuita

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

278K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...