The First

Autorstwa Ithildaeforever

She's not human. She's The First. Gis is a breakthrough in human cloning and DNA manipulation. To everyone a... Więcej

1.1
1.2
2.1
2.2
3.1
3.2
4.1
4.2
5.1
5.2
6.1
6.2
7.1
7.2
8.1
8.2
9.1
9.2
10.1
10.2
11.1
11.2
12.1
12.2
13.1
13.2
14.1
14.2
15.2
16.1
16.2
17.1
17.2
18.1
18.2
19.1
19.2
20.1
20.2
Author's Note: Sequel
Author's Note: Paperback

15.1

1.8K 162 64
Autorstwa Ithildaeforever

A/N: How's the week going for you all? So far I've not been very productive with writing, but I'm hoping to get more done this week! However, I did do one cool thing! I opened an Etsy shop this last week :D It's called BookishAdventures, and I have some cool book inspired jewelry in it!

-

02 - 16 - 2089

Days pass uneventfully. I stay in bed at Cade's request as my wrist heals, even though the pain has long since passed. The headache has finally left me alone, and last night was the first time I slept through the whole night. When I awoke refreshed and headache-free, I almost cried.

It hadn't been the pain that I couldn't deal with. Oh no, I was used to the pain. But it was the memories that threatened to drag me down. The memories of Doctor Acosta and all she did to me that suffocated me night after night.

Two nights ago, I awoke from a fresh nightmare to find Cade leaning over the bed, his face ragged as he tried to calm my panic. I had dreamed I was back in the facility and Doctor Acosta was cutting me open while I was frozen, at her mercy. I clung to him that night, unable to close my eyes for fear of seeing the image marked into my brain.

Years ago, Doctor Acosta had given me some medicine for a cold I had. But the headaches that came as a result made the cold feel like a relief. Now that I reflect on that particular memory, I realize it was probably another test. Another way to treat me like the "it" she believes me to be.

I told myself that after each nightmare.

This morning, bright and cheery even in the recently fallen snow, I don't feel the need to say it out loud. I climb out of bed, the chill of the morning curling around my bare legs and squeezing. I pull at the hem of my sleep shorts, willing them to be longer.

My gaze crawls to the window across the room, the sun peeking through the thin curtains. I approach the window silently and pull the curtain aside. The light is blinding, and I have to blink for several minutes before I can see clearly. The street outside the window is covered in fresh snow, only a few tire tracks marring the pure sight. Everything is white, and it sparkles like millions of diamonds.

In fact, I do believe this picture is far more beautiful than millions of diamonds. This color, I decide then, isn't so bad after all. Yes, it used to represent pain and the life I lived before this. But now? I do believe I am growing to like it.

-

Breakfast is quiet. Once I showered and left my room to find life elsewhere, I discovered a covered plate of pancakes (which are delicious, by the way). Cade is nowhere to be found, but the couple who has been hosting us in the next room, chatting.

I finish the pancakes quickly, starting to wonder where Cade is. As I wash off the plate at the kitchen sink, a snippet of conversation from the next room reaches my ears.

"They can't stay here forever. You know we can't support them as well as our own expenses."

With a start, I realize they are talking about Cade and I. And from the tone of Paul's voice, I know I shouldn't be listening. But I can't help it, even as I set down the plate and turn off the water. Their voices float out of the room easily now, and I don't have to strain to hear them.

"We can't just throw them out, Paul. The poor things have nowhere to go."

"We can't feed them and us. I'm sorry. I'm afraid my salary just isn't enough."

Footsteps click across the wood floor, and I scramble out of the kitchen and down the narrow hallway towards the bedrooms. Shame fills my cheeks at my eavesdropping, but in some ways I'm glad I heard their conversation.

I know exactly how to fix this problem.

-

An hour later, I have what's left of the money Enzo gave us in my jacket pocket as I stride towards town. My eyes are alert as I keep watch for anyone suspicious the way Cade taught me. I'm confident my idea will fix everything, as soon as I return.

When I finally stumble across a marketplace called Discount Market, I hurry into the warmth. The large room is stuffed full. Rows of food line each walkway, all of it temping and overwhelming at the same time. And the smell... it's wonderful. Spicy and sweet and warm at the same time. I breathe in deeply, amazed that everyone in the building seems so oblivious to the wondrous sights around them. This place is like a dream.

I shake my head to focus back on my task, a slight grin the only evidence of my enjoyment. My hand slips into my jacket pocket, closing around the small wad of cash. Time to fix the problem.

Before gliding down the aisles of food, I grab a basket as I noticed someone else do upon entering. Then I start with the first row, grabbing things I recognize, and some things I don't. Before I'm through the third row, the basket is piled with cans of fruit and vegetables, as well as lots of bread.

After the fifth aisle, my basket is full, so I decide to pay. I can always come back again for more food if we run out.

I watch other shoppers as they head for the front of the store, separating into lines where people are checking their food. I choose a shorter line than the rest and wait for my turn, the basket in my arms growing heavy.

When it's finally my turn, I pile everything onto the counter as others did before me and pull out the money. The lady behind the counter smiles and greets me as she checks the items.

"Your total is eighty-two dollars and fifty-six cents." She places the last item in the paper bag and looks at me expectantly. I blink, then shake my head as I realize the money is still in my hand.

"Sorry; here." I hand over the money, biting my lip as she gives me a strange look. Does she recognize me? The thought passes quickly as the smile returns to her face and she looks down at the money. After a moment, her forehead creases and she glances back up at me.

"I'm afraid this isn't enough money, dear. You only gave me twenty-three dollars."

I look to the bag of food, then back to the lady. "Um..." I shake my head. "I'm sorry, I--" What am I supposed to do now? I assumed all that money would be enough, and now I'm in trouble.

"Here..." The lady pulls several cans out of the bag and two loaves of bread. "Why don't you just purchase a few of the items and then you can come back later for the other items?"

"Oh, right." I nod hurriedly, doing my best not to feel foolish as she re-checks a few of the items and bags them. She puts the money away and hands me the bag, along with a slip of paper.

"There we are." She smiles. "Have a wonderful day!"

"You too," I stammer out as I grab the bag and hurry from the building. A rush of frigid air slams into me as I leave the market behind and head down the street, the brown bag clutched to my chest.

As I pass by a shop, I catch a glimpse of screen inside. My eyes go wide and I almost drop my bag as I see a set of familiar cold eyes and white clothing. Doctor Acosta looks just as severe as I remember her.

Pushing aside the thoughts that tell me I should run in the other direction, I sneak into the sweet smelling shop and linger in the doorway, my eyes on the screen. Doctor Acosta is speaking with some reporter as my name flashes across the screen.

"Gis is absolutely necessary to the survival of this world. The DNA we have perfected inside the system is able to restructure itself in a way that makes Gis almost indestructible. It heals at an accelerated rate and can withstand some of the worst viruses. We need to finish our work here, for the good of all."

I think I've stopped breathing.

The reporter nods, and voices a question of his own. "What about these new viruses the world is being struck with? Has this new DNA been tested against it? Do we have a potential cure in the making?"

I want to listen longer, but people are already starting to glance in my direction and I know it's time to get out of here. Before anyone can ask any questions, I do just that and hurry back towards the house, tucking the information I heard away. I'll have to tell Cade what I heard when I get back.

When I arrive at the snow covered house, I'm met with a startling scene. As I step through the door, the shouting hits me. I can tell it's Cade, and hurry down the hall into the living room where everyone is. Cade is speaking in raised tones to the couple, his back to me.

"Cade, what's going on?" I step into the room, still grasping the bag from the marketplace. The room falls silent, and Cade turns to me slowly.

A moment passes between us, before he stalks right over and stops inches from me. "Gis..." Cade breathes, taking in my face, my wrist, checking to make sure I'm unharmed. He shakes his head, his hand finding the side of my face.

"Where were you?" He says, his voice low. His body is rigid as he waits for me to answer, and as realization begins to dawn in my mind. How could I have been so dense?

"I was... getting food," I say, my voice much quieter than I intended.

Cade's forehead crinkles. "You were what?" His voice is low, guarded.

I lift up the bag for him to see. "I wanted to help."

A soft gasp escapes Christine from where she sits behind Cade. I glance at her, then back to Cade. His expression has turned from confusion to disbelief.

"You left to get food on your own?" Cade shakes his head again, like he's trying to understand my actions. I know they weren't the wisest, but he wasn't around. What other choice did I have?

"I overheard the problem and wanted to help," I try to explain, but feel like my words fall on deaf ears.

Cade's tone is hard. "Gis, do you realize how foolish that was?"

I open my mouth to speak, to explain myself, but he cuts me off.

"You could have been recognized. Someone could have realized who you were and taken advantage of you!" Cade grips his hair, pulling hard enough it has to hurt. "I had no idea where you were," he says, his voice strained.

"I only meant to help," I argue, wishing I could explain better.

"But you didn't! Don't you understand? You left the house without me, and it didn't help one single thing."

His words burn as they reach my ears, and I take a step back, confused and hurt. I've never heard him sound this way, and it hurts in my heart. I only meant to help, only meant to make things right for at least one thing. I've caused so much damage already.

I only wanted to do one thing right.

-

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

2.3K 45 10
**[WARNING!]** **[THIS STORY CONTAINS: BUGS, BODY HORROR, INHUMANE EXPERIMENTATION, ANIMAL CRUELTY, TORTURE, STOCKHOLM, SELF HARM, AND GENERAL VIOLEN...
128K 8K 37
*MERMAN ROMANCE* Moving from the warm beaches of Oahu to the rocky shores of Monterey, California was supposed to be a fresh start for college gradua...
241K 7K 93
It is a new age where human experimentation has started running rampant. The government blatantly turns away as kids and adults alike are taken from...
7.2K 600 49
Ever thought surviving first period and facing her best friend's boyfriend - whom she recently kissed - was going to be the hardest part of her day...