For The Truth

By FairaTheFangirl

Maxx is just a regular man, working for the Time Keeping Agency. It is the year 2431, and the public release... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1- Initiation
Chapter 2- First Day
Chapter 3- Paperwork
Chapter 4- Reality?
Chapter 5- Arrest
Chapter 6- Doubts
Chapter 8- Investigation
Chapter 9- Lies
Chapter 10- Threats
Chapter 11- Questioning
Chapter 12- Shock
Chapter 13- Write or Wrong
Chapter 14- Guesswork
Chapter 15- Choices
Chapter 16- The Ripple Effect

Chapter 7- Discussion

582 45 11
By FairaTheFangirl

It was official: I was starting to recognize reality. The only problem was that it was conflicting fiercely with paradoxes. Nearly everyone was still convinced that the reason Interrogation wanted me was because I had stolen jewels. Greydon, a friend, and I, however, knew the truth about the armband.

Then there was the matter of my eyes. Throughout the following day, I was able to piece together a clear enough picture of their significance. It turned out to be greater than I had expected.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I rub my sleep-encrusted eyes. The chip in my head chirps insistently. I guess I forgot to program it for nine thirty.

Nine thirty? Why so late? I sit bolt upright. I've overslept... Wait, no. It's only six a.m. - so why the confusion with nine thirty?

Ah yes. I have the day off from work, and Bil wanted me to come to the cafe. I still need to get directions there.

Waking up has never been my strong suit. I'm still groggy when I finally roll out of bed an hour later. Soz, sensing that I'm up, rushes over to me.

"Sir, I'd like to remind you of Bil's request. Also, there is a pile of paperwork on the table for you to complete. Officer Greydon said that it is due by lights out tonight," she explains.

"Hum. Thanks," I mumble. Glancing over to the indicated place, I observe the towering pile of papers. It is quite intimidating. "I'll do it later," I promise the robot. I'm slightly angered that Greydon gave me the hard copies of everything. It takes a significantly longer time to complete paper than it does to finish its completely digital counterpart.

I still have about two hours before I have to leave. As much as I'd like to procrastinate, I can't. No one knows what the day will bring, and that paperwork has to he turned in by tonight.

Sighing, I shuffle the pile into order and begin working. Name, occupation, reason for interrogation, parole... All of the different forms blur together. I'm probably not even filling most of them out correctly, but I've stopped caring at this point.

A long time later, I sign the last piece of paper. My hand aches and my eyes are blurry. I hand the stack to Soz, who immediately faxes it to Interrogation. It's finished. I grin, though I wish I could have burned those papers.

I hear a tiny beeping sound inside my head again. It's similar to my alarm but not quite as insistent. I glance at the watch adorning my left wrist.

Nine thirty. It's time to go. I try not to curse as I frantically scramble to get ready. I change in a minute and a half and sprint towards the elevator doors, grabbing my briefcase on the way past. I never did check to see if the armband was still there. I suppose I should do that.

I hit the button to call the elevator. When it shows up, I go to step in, until I suddenly remember that I don't know where I'm going.

"Soz! Give me the address of the cafe," I holler. Her front lights up as she looks it up.

"You're looking for Solaris. It's in building seventeen. If you tell the taxi you'll be sure to find it," she instructs.

"Thank you," I reply, stepping into the elevator.

When I get to Solaris, Bil is already there. "What took you so long?!" he chides. I glance at the time.

"It's only a minute past ten," I counter.

"That's one extra minute you made me wait."

"Sorry," I apologize, not really meaning it. I sit down on the side of the table opposite from him.

The whole place sports a neon color scheme. The main colors are orange and yellow, though some red highlights the floor. Sun decals cover the walls. There are a surprising amount of people here, considering that it's the middle of a work day. Robotic waiters and waitresses bustle from table to table serving plates of food and sparkling red smoothies in tall clear glasses.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" I ask Bil, turning to him.

"This." I watch him pull out his tablet and load a page on it. He shows it to me.

"TKA to release time travel to the public," I read aloud. "In one week, on Day 149, every citizen will have the ability to purchase an armband that will allow them to travel through time. 'We are very excited to announce this opportunity,' Stev Greydon, a TKA official, says. 'It will not only be a lot of fun for the average person, but it will provide a practical means of settling differences and righting wrongs.' We will have more information on the topic as more becomes available."

"Greydon?!" I exclaim, nearly choking. "Are you sure that this is reliable? The media does tend to bias things."

"I know for a fact that it's reliable. Trust me on this one, Maxx," Bil says. I nod.

At that moment our waitress arrives at our table. She is a tall, spindly robot- quite the opposite of Sozangrik.

"Can I get you gentlemen anything?" she coos.

"You go first," I tell Bil. I've only just realized that I'm starving, and I have yet to look at the menu.

"I'll have the usual," he says. The robot cocks her head, no doubt accessing the database and Bil's regular order.

"One Metro Juice coming right up," she intones. "And for you?"

"Same." I might as well make this meeting quick. There is still a lot of investigating to do.

"Lovely. Thank you!" She moves off to fill our orders.

"This is a problem, Maxx. I know that it wasn't jewels that landed you in Interrogation. You still have it, don't you?" Bil questions, leaning over the table.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I lie.

"Say what you will, but I know the truth. There's a reason your eyes are turning purple." Some signal goes off, and his normally hazel eyes flash a deeper shade of purple than mine. I sit back, startled. Why is this happening to more people than just me?

"Tell me more," I say. I need answers desperately, and Bil seems to have them. "Why were you bluffing? Do you keep seeing the same hallucinations that I do?"

"I will, but not here. It's not safe. And they aren't hallucinations."

"What do you mean?"

"Not now." He eyes me sternly. "Do you remember that man who warned you at initiation?" he whispers.

"You saw that?" I ask, my tone matching his.

"Yes. Do you know who that was?"

"Not really."

"It was you."

"What?!" I exclaim, my voice rising sharply. "How could-"

"Shh, shh. They'll hear you," Bil warns. "I'll tell you more once we're out of here."

"They'll? Who's they?"

"Enough questions!" Bil doesn't quite seem annoyed, but his remark is enough to make me shut up. Almost.

"What about the parallel world?"

Bil looks like he's about to reply with something nasty, but he stops abruptly. The robot has just returned with our juice. She places it in front of us, then leaves again.

The liquid in my glass is a chalky grey color. It smells like pavement. I try not to gag, not really sure why I ordered this in the first place.

I take a hesitant sip. To my surprise, it tastes like all of the fresh fruits available at the markets wrapped up into one drink. Its light, bubbly texture brings a smile to my face.

"Good, isn't it?" Bil questions.

"Yeah, actually," I respond.

"I get it every time I come here. Drink up, because we have to get going."

"Oh? Where to?"

"I've found something that you really ought to see. But here's a fair warning: once you see it, nothing will ever be the same again."

I chug the rest of my juice. "Then let's get going."

••••••••••Author's Ramblings•••••••••

Hey guys! I know I said I wasn't going to do a double update, but right after I posted it jumped up to 104 reads. I'm pretty sure it was a glitch, so I'm going to say that we met our goal. Plus, you guys earned it anyways!

This chapter is dedicated to BexiLee, who will totally not be surprised by the mini eye significance revelation. I would actually dedicate this chapter to her, but that requires work and synching, and I'd rather not have to deal with that. Anyways, you guys should go check out her stories, especially The Fabulous Adventures of Hershel and Co.

So, back to the story! We're starting to get to some major action now, and the "big secret" (see description) will hopefully be in the next update! Does anyone have any guesses on what it could be?

Would you guys be interested in a "fanbase name?" It feels a bit awkward to keep calling my readers "you guys." I'm open to suggestions!

Well, that's all for tonight. I hope you enjoyed the double update! Thanks again for all of your support, and have a great night!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128 13 40
The government every year tasks its elite soldiers to participate in a nation-wide Cull. Hundreds of children are taken from homes and put into one o...
18.2K 250 4
Max, a rather typical, shy girl, recently got the ability to reverse time. After spending the day trying to gain control of her confused mind, she co...
2.7K 155 20
***CURRENTLY UNDERGOING MASS NARRATIVE OVERHAUL - PLEASE GO TO MY NEW BOOK 'INHUMAN (NEW)' ON MY PROFILE. I'VE DECIDED TO TAKE THE NARRATIVE IN A NEW...
Akropolis By hcedwards

Science Fiction

127 16 9
"Any thought you ever had; memories, desires, your fears and your dreams, are all recorded and stored safely in the Quantum Cloud for your eventual r...