Paper Hearts: Some Writing Ad...

By bethrevis

THANK YOU EVERYONE for reading this sample of Paper Hearts! Due to popular demand, I've turned this into an a... More

Preface: Who I Am & What This Is
A Short Bio of My Writing Life
Why Writing Advice Books Suck (Including This One)
Let's Get This Out of the Way First
Ten Important Things About Writing & Publishing
Pantsers vs. Plotters & Why Those Definitions Don't Work
Word Count Doesn't Matter...Okay, Fine, It Does. Sometimes.
High Concept
The Only Two Things You Need for Story
Representation Matters
White Space: Avoiding Blocks of Text
The Very Best Way to Learn Grammar
Never Say Never
Ten Steps to Giving an Effective Critique
AVAILABLE NOW IN A STORE NEAR YOU!

Showing vs. Telling: The Basic Idea

3.7K 172 10
By bethrevis

The difference lies in the verb.

It was cold. = Telling

Amy shivered in the cold. = Showing.

An active verb connotates a showing sentence. But this isn't always true. I could have said, "Amy thought it was cold," and that does employ an active verb--but the beef of that sentence lies in the passive verb, not the active one.

To figure out what to show, ask: How do you know this?

It was cold. = A simple fact. Ask: how do you know it's cold?

Answer = Amy shivered.

Now, obviously, that's the ultimate in simplicity. You can't just stop there.

The difference between boring showing and good showing is in the emotion.

Amy shivered in the cold. = Boring showing.

Amy shivered: the cold seemed to reach all the way through her skin and into her heart. = Good showing.

Notice how they get longer? A picture's worth a thousand words--so to show that picture, it might take all thousand words.

Does this mean everything you write should be "showing?" NO. Let me say that again: NO. Sometimes it's just cold. Say it and move on. But if this is a point where you can and should show character development or enhance the story, show it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 75 26
*Kyra Martin* It was never easy for me to hide my emotions, and that's the cause of all my problems now. I am a writer, or rather, I was. Now I'm j...
2.7K 441 18
After seeing fellow writers on Wattpad talk about their dreams of publishing, I decided to post a guide on what I understand about the publishing pro...
194K 12K 111
*A WATTPAD FEATURED GUIDE* *Highest Ranking #5 in Non-Fiction's HOT List* *Ranked #1 in #how-to, #1 in #editor, #1 in #publishing, and #1 in #grammar...
231 21 6
The Wattpad Guide to getting thousands of reads! First, readers have to SEE your books before they can READ them. This short guide shows you how...