uninvited

By ShawMcKnight

Is the end of the world near? The answer to that might be closer than we thought. One thing is for sure, th... More

chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter twenty
chapter twentyone
chapter twentytwo
chapter twentythree
chapter twentyfour
chapter twentyfive
chapter twentysix
chapter twentyseven
chapter twentyeight
chapter twentynine
chapter thirty
chapter thirtyone
chapter thirtytwo
chapter thirtythree
chapter thirtyfour
chapter thirtyfive
chapter thirtysix
chapter thirtyseven
chapter thirtyeight
chapter thirtynine
chapter forty
chapter fortyone
chapter fortytwo
chapter fortythree
chapter fortyfour
chapter fortyfive
chapter fortysix
chapter fortyseven
chapter fortyeight
chapter fortynine
chapter fifty
chapter fiftyone
chapter fiftytwo
chapter fiftythree
chapter fiftyfour
chapter fiftyfive
chapter fiftysix
chapter fiftyseven
chapter fiftyeight
chapter fiftynine
chapter sixty
chapter sixtyone
chapter sixtytwo
chapter sixtythree
chapter sixtyfour
chapter sixtyfive
unwanted

chapter nineteen

1.7K 136 6
By ShawMcKnight

unusual

He was waiting for her. That was not unusual. Every day he waited, somedays she showed up, others she did not. She had said that there was no way in hell she was going to school seven days a week. Were aliens crazy or something?

Less than half the humans were showing up on Saturday and Sunday. The first weekend she didn't show up, he handled it the same way he always did. Calm. Detached. The second weekend she did not show up he would say he had been almost upset.

Today was Monday again and not only had she missed the weekend, but she had slept in this morning. She was also not dressed for any kind of workout or training.

On this, she had been completely honest. She was not getting any better. She had even tried at first. A fighter she was not.

He was not giving up. He just decided today he would work on a different issue.

Jessalynn had yet to say anything. She sat close to the wall; her legs crossed. She was tired. Her sister and aunt still had trouble sleeping. Dezrick kept him updated often.

"I have a deal for you.

"Yeah?"

She yawned before looking at him. "Does it involve me not doing anything for the next two hours?"

"You may do whatever you want today."

Her eyes narrowed. "What is it going to cost me?"

"Nothing. That is not part of the deal."

"Okay. Hit me with it."

Seeing his look, she rolled her eyes at him. He was becoming use to that and the way she filled him in before Dezrick could.

"Tell me what you have on your mind."

"I would like you to wear your candora tomorrow and in return I will offer you something."

"Just for tomorrow?"

"Yes."

"Okay, but in return, I want tit for tat. You wear jeans and a t shirt."

That was fair. Not what he had been prepared for but fair. "As you like."

Normally, he would have continued to stand, his hands behind his back while he watched her. Today he tried a new approach and sat down next to her.

"What are you up to?" She asked, noticing he was behaving differently.

He decided to be more forthcoming than he usually was. "I am tired as well. All the work I do all day long I am now having to do after the classes I spend with you. Or at least waiting for you to show up for the classes I am supposed to spend with you. There are my own classes and more meetings than I care for. You have two hours of training and workout, I have four."

For once, she had no comment. Her eyes were on his and he wondered if she had the same difficulty looking away as he had.

"The other day at lunch it was pleasant sitting next to you. Sometimes your arm would brush mine. I do not understand the appeal of this, but I did like it. Is this unusual?"

Her eyes narrowed but instead of answering, she sighed.

He held out his hand and a can of cola appeared in his palm. "This was to be your bribery. Would you still like it?"

Her arm brushed his and they both looked down to where their arms touched.

His eyes moved up to search hers. "What is that you are feeling?"

"Joy. My taste buds are practically dancing in joy. I can already taste it. And the caffeine. The marvelous caffeine."

Jessalynn moved her arm away from him and reached for the drink. "Thought we already had a deal?"

"We do."

"You know I'd probably kiss you for a glass of ice. Coke is so much better over ice."

A moment later one appeared in his hand.

She took it with a chuckled. "Not going to happen, big boy. It was a joke."

"I know, Jessalynn."

"I told you not to do that." She warned, as she popped her top and slowly poured the unhealthy drink over her ice.

"You never told me exactly what it is that I am doing. Or why I must stop it."

"It's the way you say it. Like you want me to melt or something. And because I don't like it."

After her first big sip, she moaned and quickly took another.

"Oh my God, this is good."

Half of it was gone before she looked back at him. "Here. Drink some but not all of it."

Highly unlikely. One sip was enough to know the substance should be banned from all. It tasted of nothing but sugar and who knew what. "It is vile. No wonder your people are so unhealthy if this is the kind of refreshments you are consuming."

"Are you calling me fat?"

She rolled her eyes. "Overweight. Obese. Unpleasant to look at? By our standards some would consider me too round, so I imagine by yours I'm considered a fatty."

"The answer to your question is no. I find you pleasant to look upon."

"Uh huh. Yet the first thing you want to do is change me. If you ask me, your people look too much alike. Dress alike. How are you expecting to stand out to a girl when you don't stand out at all?" She finished off her coke then handed him back the glass and empty can.

"This talent of yours, you can make anything just appear out of thin air?"

"Not at all. I found it where all the confiscated things are being stored. Left it in the cooler room. All I did was call it forth."

"Makes sense, I guess. Have you spent any time with Hayden, yet?"

"It is unnecessary."

"So, you keep saying. How about another deal? You spend the rest of this week's meet and greet with Hayden and I'll give you something in returned."

He had no plans on doing any such thing, so he was surprised when he offered one. "The rest of the week, if you no longer give the human Julian access to your room."

Many emotions flashed in her eyes. He wished he knew what any of them were but the only one he recognized was anger.

"And why did Dezrick think you needed to know that?"

"He was explaining your sister's nightmares."

"Was he? And did he tell you that when my sister cries in her sleep for our mother it's like someone ripping my heart out of my chest? No, honestly, I would rather someone rip my heart out. I would gladly give it to them if it meant Mel could have mom back. She should be here. Julian stays with me so I don't forget I should be here too. He worries that I think I'm replaceable."

"Do you think that?"

"All the time." Her voice was little more than a whisper, but it had a great impact on him. "I'm tired of telling everyone to stay out of my business. And for future references, I don't deal with Julian. Ever. No matter what above everything, he is family."

Family was something he understood. People you are responsible for. His responsibilities weighed on him greatly.

Her tender whisper had just made her and all she held dear his responsibility.

"Dezrick, how may we help?"

"Too much is unknown to us. We could do a scan and probably remove some of the memories that are causing her the most pain."

"Never. I mean it. Kellum, promise me that you will never allow that to happen."

"I promise."

Only then did she settle back down. "It wouldn't be right. My mom deserves to be missed. To be remembered. Every single memory is precious."

She turned her eyes on him. "Is that what you do to yourselves?"

"It is unnecessary."

"Once I thought you were lucky to not have emotions getting in your way but now, I pity you. You think emotions weaken you? You're wrong. My emotions make me stronger.

"Then share them with me. That can be our trade."

She thought about it for a long time. "Okay but just for this week."

"Agreed."
While she was getting comfortable her arm brushed his again.

"You know, for a guy who has no emotions, you sure sounded a touch jealous."

"Dezrick?"

"Suspicious fears or envious resentment. I believe she thinks you are uncomfortable or unhappy with the thought of another boy touching or spending time with her."

"That wouldn't be smart." She replied. "Julian isn't going anywhere.

It would make no sense, but he pondered the possibility. It was not long before he concluded that it was not jealousy. The thought of having someone in their bed chambers after hours was unheard of. Even for family. That is why he was uncomfortable with the thought. That did not explain why he dislike how the human was always touching her.

At a soft sound, he turned his head and looked at her. Her eyes were closed. She made another soft sound and turned more his way.

With her eyes closed and not holding him captive, he was able to study her other features. Her eye lashes were dark, her cheeks pale. A dark curl fell across one of those pale cheeks.

Her lips were naturally red and plump. The bottom one slightly plumper than the top.

She sighed, frowning in her sleep and he wondered if she had the same kind of dreams that her sister had. Reaching out, he caught the stray curl between two fingers.

It was soft and he realized that he had never touched a girl like this before. Never touched one in any way before.

When the back of his finger accidently touched her cheek and she didn't awaken, he did it again. Lightly across her cheek then he let his hand drop.

Frick is wrong. She is beautiful.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146 46 38
This planet, will now be my new home, has I will protect it with the best of my ability, has they welcomed me... Until, the secret of this life, thi...
379 11 30
Nobody expects something supernatural to happen to them. Those kind of things only happened in comics. Fairy Tales. Unrealistic dreams that you'd fal...
7.2K 600 49
Ever thought surviving first period and facing her best friend's boyfriend - whom she recently kissed - was going to be the hardest part of her day...