The Hero Of Hyrule

By KarkatVantabulous

Link did all he had to do. He defeated Calamity Ganon he activated and completed all the shrines. He was done... More

The End of the Silent Princess
An Encounter with the Zora
The Champions and their Divine Beasts: Part I
The Champions and Their Divine Beasts: Part II
Link Faces A Possible Mental Breakdown
Link's Prayers
Sidon Accompanies Link
Rain
Journey Across Hyrule
Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Diary
Preparations for the Ceremony
The New King of Hyrule
Advice from Dorephan
Hyrule Historia: Part I
Temporary Answer To A Confusing Problem
Hyrule Historia: Part II
Hyrule Historia: Part III
Hyrule Historia: Part IIII
Confession
Visions
Engagement
Visions: Hylian Edition
Wedding
After Story: New Additions to the Family

New Zora Traditions

2K 68 41
By KarkatVantabulous

"Ah how I've missed the Domain." Impa breathed in fresh air as Link held onto one of her arms, escorting Impa down the long bridge into Zora's Domain. "It has been quite a long time...over one hundred years since I last visited." She smiled and looked up at the Hylian Champion. "I remember the days the Domain showed off its underwater palace. Ah, such a beauty it was. Not to mention the many handsome Zora folk that would offer to buy me a special Zora helm that would allow me to breath underwater to give me a tour...and flirt with me." The Sheikah elder laughed at the memory of her younger days but left Link in a state of discomfort. After all, Impa was only a few years older than Zelda and he before the Calamity struck and yet she was still picking up Zora suitors left and right. It was just...weird. "I must say I'm still surprised you wanted this. I know you're very stubborn about these kinds of things, especially now after being so used to doing things on your own and winging it."

"Revali winged it and he died." Link signed with one hand. "After what Riju told me my eyes have been opened. I don't want Hyrule to die because I turned out to be a horrible King." Impa hummed in agreement and let go of Link's arm once they were just a few feet away from the entrance to the Domain. She took it all in, smiling contently. "You and King Dorephan are the only two that I know that would be willing to give me honest help."

"I'm glad you can trust us with these things, Link. It shows you really are maturing. You're already on the correct path to becoming a wonderful king." The Sheikah elder walked slowly into the Zora Domain, smiling at its residents. Link had his eyes focused straight ahead. Sidon hasn't come home- back to the castle yet and he didn't want him to feel like Link's being there was a sign to go back. If Sidon was happy at his home then Link wouldn't ruin that. 

"Mipha..." Impa sighed, pulling Link out of his thoughts. She paused at the statue of the Zora Princess, placing a hand on it and bowing her head in respect. "Such a brave young woman. So full of optimism and courage." Link shifted uncomfortably, not looking up. He hadn't forgotten about Mipha the way he had Zelda. No, she haunted the corners of his mind every time he looked at Sidon and felt love flood his heart. 

Impa made it up the many steps to King Dorephan's throne room without Link helping her. She insisted on doing it herself, like old times. The Zora King was more than happy to see the Sheikah elder after so many years, he ordered a Zora guard to bring a few chairs for herself and Link as well as some kind of refreshment. Impa sat down once the chairs were brought in and Link sat down as well. He was obviously a bit nervous for whatever they would discuss within the next few hours.

"So," The Zora King leaned back in his throne and stared down the King of Hyrule, "you've come for guidance. I must say I am very surprised given your nature. But I am more than happy to help in any way possible. What is it exactly you need help with?" Impa sipped the tea brought to her and looked at Link over the cup, motioning for him to begin. The King stared down at his lap for a minute before he began.

"I have no clue what I'm doing and I need to know how to be a great King- like you." Dorephan laughed at that.

"While that is a rather nice compliment I wouldn't say I'm a great King. No one can be a great king, my son. You must learn this. There will always be one person who sees different." Link looked down again, Imp patted his knee. "But do not fret, I will still help you." The Zora King smiled warmly before he continued. "A King listens to his people. He needs to take the needs of the many and figure out a way to please everyone, or at least enough people. Now being a king isn't just about people. It's about your kingdom as well. You must do what's best for the kingdom as a whole."

"I believe that won't be the hard part for you, Link." Impa set her up down as she spoke. "Your heart and soul belongs to Hyrule. You quite obviously will do anything for the kingdom. The only problem is your lack of skills to put that love to use. Now while you have gotten much done; improved traveling routes, village restoration, growing army and more solid connections with the other four races, but there is more. There is trade, laws, taxes, appointing people who will be qualified enough to handle things you're too busy to handle. There will be the necessity of having to sit and listen to your subjects and speak with an expert team to fix problems. These kinds of things is what you have lacked to do."

"We're not judging you, your highness." King Dorephan butted in once Impa finished. She had left Link feeling just a bit miserable. "We're simply listing the areas you need to improve on. Lucky for you we are gathered here to help you with these things. No matter how long it takes." Link smiled. He was grateful for this opportunity but he dreaded how much time they would spend holed up in there, talking of nothing but Link's bad choices and lack of skills.

-

Finished. It was finished.

Sidon smiled and gazed down at the finished sword and shield. It had taken him a long time but every single minute of he spent hunched over a work table or standing by an expert blacksmith was worth it and only made him more sure of his decision. He would confess his love to Link. He would do it soon. He would follow what was typically a tradition meant for Zora Princesses but he felt like it would still hold its meaning. After all, the tradition began as an act of love, Sidon intended this to be an act of love as well so it wouldn't cause to much of an uproar. Right?

The sword was meant to be somewhat similar to the Master Sword in length but to imitate a Zora sword in design. Sidon used his own sword as a sort of guide but in all honesty the one he made was just a bit shorter and less elegant than expected. That was fine, the fact that he tried his best should make up for its lack of style. While the blade itself was built the same way as any other blade it was the handle that held the weapons true beauty. In center, just above the beautiful blue colored grip, there was glimmering red scale cut into the shape of a diamond. There were two scales placed on either side, each one once belonging to Sidon. Taking out scales was no easy task and taking out two for one weapon wasn't fun (or painless) but the Zora Prince endured it to show his love.

The shield was created to mimic the look of the Royal Guard's shield. It was rather big but it was light. In the center, much like the sword, was a cluster of beautiful red scales (again it wasn't exactly easy getting that many scales out in one sitting) in the shape of a heart. The heart was in the center space of the Triforce, the triangle piece that symbolized courage was painted in red as opposed to the yellow he had used for the other two pieces.

Both items were made to last a long time. Sidon made sure of it. He had to make the journey to visit the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab and strike a bargain with Robbie to somehow infuse some ancient elements into the sword and shield but it was done. Neither the sword nor the shield would break any time soon. And if they did, Sidon prepared for that as well. If, for whatever reason, Link's sword were to shatter or his shield were to break apart into a million pieces, his scales would not break. The scales in the form of a heart would stay in the form of a heart of the shield were to break. Link could easily pick it up and carry it around if he so please. Same thing applied for the scales on the Master Sword. Yes, ancient technology did come in handy for these issues. Now the only problem Sidon had to face was when to give Link these gifts...

"Ah, isn't he so dreamy?" A Zora girl sighed out, fairly close to where Sidon was. He was used to this. The female Zora all longed for the Prince. They lusted after him but alas, they would never get a chance with him. "The way he helped the Prince and saved us- how brave! How courageous!"

"That is exactly what I look for in a man. He has to be courageous. Not to mention he is the King after all! What a nice little edition to an already perfect package!" Wait, what? "And to think, he's here today! Talking to our very own King! How lucky must we be to have this privilege! Oh, if only we took advantage of having him here before he became royalty!" Sidon blinked and whipped around in the chair he had been sitting in. Two Zora women were giggling to one another and looked up the stairs to his fathers throne room. Oh Hylia, Link must've been visiting. How could he not have noticed that? Quickly, Sidon covered the finished shield and sword with a small tarp and hurried on out to the foot of the stairs.

He was stopped by the Zora guards, they said his father ordered for no one to enter until they finished discussing some very important matters. This included Sidon. The Prince sighed and apologized for distracting the guard from his duty and walked back to Dento's workshop. He didn't uncover the gifts he made, what was the point after all? He finished and he knew what they looked like. He didn't have a real need for them right now. What he needed to do was figure out when and where to actually...confess.

Sidon realized he never really thought about that.

An idea struck him. A second later he was walking rapidly throughout the domain looking for Muzu. After questioning a few people Sidon found out that the elder Zora was out on the east reservoir, staring at Vah Ruta as she stood still in the water. He had been doing that more often now that it was safe to approach the Divine Beast. People had claimed to see the elder pray for hours or just sit down and stare at the mechanic wonder. Ever since Mipha's in tact corpse had been...released from Ruta he seemed to be feeling even more like she was gone.

Sidon stood at the top of the stairs that led up to the reservoir. Muzu was silent but seemed too lost in thought to notice Sidon approaching him from behind. It wasn't until the Zora Prince was standing beside the elder and cleared his threat did Muzu notice him.

"Pardon me, my Prince." Muzu sighed and looked at Sidon. "I didn't hear you come. Is there something you needed? Something the King needs?"

"No, no. My father is busy with Link. I need you actually." Muzu nodded and turned his whole body to face Sidon. "I uh, I have several questions regarding the old Zora Princess traditions of presenting armor for her loved one..." Perhaps this topic wasn't the best to discuss with Muzu, not now or ever. But this old Zora knew everything there was to know about it. He knew more than what was written in their historic books! Sidon just prayed that things wouldn't end in a heated argument between the two of them.

As expected Muzu tensed up. His default frown deepened as he nodded for Sidon to continue with his question.

"I was hoping...you could perhaps tell me more about it. I never had the opportunity to experience such a lovely tradition. Was there a sort of special ceremony? Rules? Was there anything that needed to be done?"

"Well..." The Elder Zora scratched his chin as he thought for a moment, trying to recollect what exactly happened. "There is a ceremony. All the Domain and invited guests gathered around as the Princess presented her gift to her lover where he then accepts or denies the gift. If he accepts then the celebration becomes a bit more of a party. Those attending spend the rest of the day and night dancing and celebrating the engagement of the two. If the gift is denied, however, then the celebration is cancelled." Sidon nodded. He was already compiling a list of guests he wished to invite. "As for things that were a "necessity" obviously the Zora armor--"

"Aha! I have a question about that- sorry about the interruption by the way- I was wondering if perhaps...it had to be Zora armor?" Muzu scoffed at the Prince's question.

"Of course it does. If you remember our history correctly the wife of the Zora King added her own scale into the Zora armor which protected him during battle. That is why it is Zora armor! Have you been lacking in your studies, my prince? Has spending so much time in Hyrule Castle with....King Hyrule distracted you with what's important?"

"No no, I was just wondering... And you know you can still refer to him as Link. To be quite frank, King Hyrule sounds dumb. It doesn't suit him. King Link is even a bit of a stretch..."

"He is the King of Hyrule. I will refer to him as that. Besides, Hyrule is his legal last name since he became King so that's even more of a reason to call him King Hyrule." There were slight undertones of anger in Muzu's voice as he said Link's name and title so many time. Sidon could tell he still wasn't over Link's "failure" from a hundred years ago.

"Right. Well." Sidon cleared his throat and proceeded with his questions. "Has there ever been an instance where no Zora Princesses have been, how do I word it... Has there ever been a point where there were no Zora Princesses? What happens then?"

"Then there was no ceremony. Simple as that." Muzu grunted.

"Right right. Has there...has there ever been a ceremony where a Zora Prince offered a gift to his potential suitor?" Muzu was taken aback by this question and Sidon didn't fully understand why. Sure this was something reserved for the Princesses but for to have such a large reaction to a question like Sidon's that Muzu gasped and stepped back? Sidon just didn't get it.

"No. There never has been and perhaps never will be one. Zora Princes are different in this kind of situation. They simply ask their lover to marry them, the large ceremony is never a part of their asking and neither is creating Zora armor." Sidon nodded and stayed silent, looked down at his feet for a moment. His next question would surely throw him onto thin ice with the Zora elder. He just hoped Muzu was mature enough to not go storming away.

"Muzu, perhaps this time could be different? Perhaps I, the Zora Prince, could do what a Princess would do? Perhaps I could have the lavish ceremony and present my gifts of love to my significant other?" As expected Muzu reacted largely. He gasped once more and made several strange noises, each one sounding more like a drowning duck than the last. There was a point where the older Zora waved his arms around and tried to talk but it came out sounding much more like gibberish than words. Finally after what felt like ages, Muzu calmed down. He took in a deep breath, closed his eyes and composed himself. He stayed silent, thinking of his response long and hard.

"If you so...please to do that then I suppose certain arrangements could be made." Sidon smiled brightly and crouched down to hug the elder Zora tightly, the shark tail on his head wagging happily. Muzu grunted and patted the Prince's back. "I apologize for acting the way I did. I was in shock that such an idea would come from you. I suppose I hold too much emotional attachment to such traditions... but I am...attempting to become more open minded now. So I suppose a new tradition could be made for future generations." Sidon nodded and let go of Muzu. He was too excited to speak. "Of course this would need to get the approval of King Dorephan."

"Yes! Yes that is perfectly acceptable. I am more than certain that my father will approve of this! Thank you Muzu!" Another grunt from Muzu as he nodded and turned to face Vah Ruta once more.

"By the way, who is the lovely woman you're planning on engaging?" Uh oh. Sidon laughed awkwardly as he rubbed the back of his neck, taking a small step backward. This was the part where he prayed to the Goddess Hylia that things would go well.

"Well, they are a lovely person. They make me very happy. And I do hope you can understand my reasoning for...well my feelings." Muzu gave his prince a questioning look as Sidon continued to sputter out nonsense. "And If they make me happy I don't why I cannot marry them."

"My prince, who is it?"

"It's well, Link." Sidon let out a small breath of relief, he finally managed to fully confess his feelings to Link to someone besides a small Goddess statue. He had to admit it felt refreshing. Muzu, however, did not find it refreshing. To him it seemed that everywhere he turned that...Hylian was there. To Muzu it seemed like every single Zora was falling fin over heels for the new King. No one seemed to get enough of Link and his "unflinching bravery" or what Muzu liked to call, "idiotic recklessness and otherworldly luck."

Now Muzu was faced with a rather big problem. Here was Sidon, Zora Prince, heir of King Dorephan's throne, telling Muzu he wished to engage Link. Link. The one Sidon's own sister was in love with as well. Link. The one who brought Mipha's Demise (in Muzu's eyes) one hundred years ago. Link. The overrated hero who didn't deserve Prince Sidon's love or share the title of "Zora King". Muzu was prepared to retract his earlier statement, he was about to say that no. No new tradition would be made. No Sidon couldn't marry Link. No. Sidon couldn't do this. But as he looked up at the young Prince with anger he saw something he thought he'd never see again. As he looked at Sidon's eyes and face, he saw the absolute excitement at the idea of wedding the one he loved. Muzu recalled sitting with Mipha as she made her Zora armor. She refused to let the name of her potential husband slip, she wanted to surprise everyone. Even as Mipha excitedly explained every single detail of what she wanted he wedding day to be like, even as Mipha would describe her love interest in great detail yet still keep his image vague, she never let the name slip. It wasn't until recently that Muzu discovered the name of her potential husband.

Here was Sidon. Here was the same love and life and happiness in his eyes as he looked at Muzu hopefully. Here was Sidon, brave enough to admit that he was in love with Link even though he knew what Muzu thought of him. Here was Sidon, Prince of the Zora, asking for the chance to be with the one he loved. Muzu wanted to yell and argue and convince his prince that he deserved better. He wanted to say that Link wasn't worthy of him. He couldn't marry Link. He just couldn't. He wanted to demand why Sidon loved the Hylian that failed his sister, the domain, the Kingdom. Why Sidon would even love the same man his sister loved. But Muzu didn't. This wasn't his love, it wasn't his life. He didn't have the same feelings as Sidon. He didn't see Link in the same light Sidon did.

Muzu watched as Vah Ruta lifted her gigantic trunk to leg out a loud trumpet. A small spurt of water escaping but nothing to cause any worry or rain. The Divine Beast sunk back down into the water without another sound. Oh Mipha. How lovely she would've looked on her wedding day, how happy she would've been. Muzu smiled slightly at the thought. The elder looked back at Sidon, the excitement in his face fell just a bit. Perhaps...this was Muzu's second chance. He never had the opportunity to see Mipha happily present her gift, he never had a chance to properly apologize to Link (he had done it after he appeased Vah Ruta but in all honesty, that apology wasn't too meaningful). This could be his chance to see Sidon, who he loved as much as he loved Mipha mind you, be as happy as Mipha would've been. This could be his chance to properly apologize.

"I hope you have a proper gift in mind, Link already has Zora armor and it would be ill-advised to gift him another." Sidon had tears in is eyes. He crouched down again and hugged the Zora elder once more. This time, Muzu hugged him back.

-

"Well, this has been a rather long and exhausting day." Link sighed as he stood from his chair. The meeting with Impa and King Dorephan had finally ended and Link now understand the basics of what he had to do. Yes, he had a long way to go but now he had a much clearer understanding of what it meant to be king.

"Indeed it has." The Zora King yawned. Hylia he was tired, but he had one more meeting after this. Link had arranged for Lady Riju of the Gerudo to meet with Dorephan. Link knew the King wanted his Domain's reach to expand a bit so he had Riju come by so the two races could figure out something that would allow the Zora women to travel to Gerudo Town without dying. "Come back anytime you wish, Your Majesty! My doors are always open for you!" Link smiled and nodded as he helped Impa down the many steps. They passed Riju on the way up, in their small conversation she mentioned she was excited to finally be able to properly speak with Sidon and King Dorephan. Link snapped his fingers, remembering something, and excused himself before he ran back up the steps. 

"Link! What has brought you back here? Did you forget something?" The King smiled warmly down at the Hylian. Link shook his head.

"I nearly forgot to mention that I plan on courting Sidon. Through days of prayer and hours of having inner arguments with myself I've come to the conclusion that he's the one the Goddesses meant for me and honestly I couldn't be happier about that." Link smiled and waved goodbye once more. He quickly jogged back down the steps, leaving King Dorephan in utter shock and confusion.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.5K 1.1K 60
Calamity Ganon has been defeated. All is well in Hyrule and it would seem that Link and Zelda's troubles are finally over. However, not all is as it...
35.2K 957 18
!!! THIS IS NOT THE SEQUEL TO THE REWRITE OF HIS CHAMPION, THIS IS THE ORIGINAL SEQUEL !!! This is the sequel to His Champion. Link has just defeate...
3.2K 42 11
After defeating Calamity Ganon, while Zelda and Link are busy rebuilding Hyrule Castle, they also have some time to rekindle their friendship, make n...
22.6K 707 33
(SIDON X LINK) (Finished) This is a story about Link who has to take over Zelda's duty to get force married with prince Sidon. zelda got a letter fr...