Descendants of The Sun: The S...

By ApplePie0097

The love story between a soldier and a doctor reaches new heights, as their bond strenghtens to a point where... More

Prologue
Chapter One-Part One
Chapter One-Part Two
Chapter One-Part Three
Chapter One-Part Four
Chapter Two-Part One
Chapter Two-Part Two
Chapter Two-Part Three
Chapter Two-Part Four
Chapter Two-Part Five
Chapter Three-Part One
Chapter Three-Part Two
Chapter Three-Part Three
Chapter Three-Part Four
Chapter Three-Part Five
Chapter Three-Part Six
Chapter Four-Part One
Chapter Four-Part Two
Chapter Four-Part Three
Chapter Four-Part Four
Chapter Five-Part One
Chapter Five-Part Two
Chapter Five-Part Three
Chapter Five-Part Four
Chapter Six-Part One
Chapter Six-Part Two
Chapter Six-Part Three
Chapter Six-Part Four
Chapter Seven-Part One
Chapter Seven-Part Two
Chapter Seven-Part Three
Chapter Seven-Part Four
Chapter Seven-Part Five
Chapter Seven-Part Six
Chapter Eight-Part One
Chapter Eight-Part Two
Chapter Eight-Part Three
Chapter Eight-Part Four
Chapter Eight-Part Five
Chapter Nine-Part One
Chapter Nine-Part Two
Chapter Nine-Part Three
Chapter Nine-Part Four
Chapter Nine-Part Five
Chapter Ten-Part One
Chapter Ten-Part Three
Chapter Ten-Part Four
Chapter Ten-Part Five
Chapter Ten-Part Six
Finale
Afterword

Chapter Ten-Part Two

1.7K 41 15
By ApplePie0097

"I think it's important to take the time to tell the people you love how much you love them while they can hear you."

(Meredith Grey–Ellen Pompeo from the drama 'Grey's Anatomy')

One week later
   Mo Yeon woke up to a beautiful morning, lips curled up in a smile as she stretched her limbs together with a soft grunt. The rays of sunlight pierced through the thin layers of the pink curtain in her bedroom, producing a pink hue in the room. Birds were chirping outside and the sound of neighbours chatting outside in faint volumes can be heard.

   A new day, a new resolution.

   Mo Yeon turned to her left side, and almost yelped in surprise upon seeing Si Jin's eyes staring at her. Her surprised expression made Si Jin grin widely. Almost immediately, her slumbering head tuned alive, like a power switch being turned on. "Good morning, Sleeping Angel." He whispered affectionately as he pinched the right side of her cheek, which caused her to flinch uncomfortably with eyes narrowed angrily at him. "You look beautiful today."

   "Stop this sweet-talking!" Mo Yeon hissed. "Aish, kkamjjakiya! I thought you're still asleep!"

   "Have you forgotten that I am a soldier? We soldiers don't get eight hours of sleep, you know."

   Mo Yeon scoffed upon hearing those words, eyeing at him irritated eyes. Internally, however, she's actually enjoying their private moments. In actual fact, the moment Si Jin praised how beautiful she was today, her heart fluttered almost immediately. She didn't know how much her heart had soften to his verbal magic and she got this feeling that her heart would one day submit to his charms. As dangerous as she thought it might be, it was quite of fun too in some sense. It showed her how much she needed him by her side, and how empty she might feel once he's gone.

   With Si Jin having a week's leave, the Major had been sleeping in her house ever since they returned from Uruk. It was as if her house had turned into his house instead, and that sometimes annoyed the owner of the house. Not to say that Si Jin was a disturbing lot; he never snored in his sleep. It was just that when he was alone in her house, the house might get a little bit messy with stuff. Twice, she caught him leaving her magazines on the coffee table without placing if back to its proper place, and Si Jin got an earful for that. Luckily, that only happened when she was not around. If she was, Si Jin feared that his life would be the next thing she would take. Mo Yeon could get a little bit unpredictable sometimes when it came to house rules. Si Jin might be a clean person, but not totally clean in some sense.

   During the entire one week, Mo Yeon realised that their intimacy had gotten to newer heights, which caused her to worry. For three nights in a row, they allowed their hormones to take over; making love in the bed as they explored the limits of their minds as well as sharing their love to each other. Yesterday night was one of those days. Now, naked from head to toe and only covered by the blanket, she blushed shyly upon recalling how intimate they got to each other. Their relationship has obviously gone to new heights.

   Not that having a passionate moment with her partner was a bad thing. It was just that she had never felt this way before-opening her heart and soul completely to him as he did the same. She might be new into this-close body embrace, where they explored each other's sexuality but more importantly, how her heart responded to that. It was not a forced move both of them made, but rather, a movement of pure and mutual understanding. Si Jin was not rough in his embrace. He respected her, acknowledging her as a woman with dignity and took care of her body carefully. Every move he made was done with the intention of causing the least harm to himself and hers, and she was curious on how he managed to handle all this under the rage of a hormonal firestorm. Something told her that it was the scar on her stomach that made him act this way.

   Nevertheless, Mo Yeon didn't push him away, and instead allowed him into the deepest depths of her heart. She wanted him more than ever, and those incidents they had been through in Uruk made her yearned him for more. She wanted to be close to him, to be with him through the thick and thin, and be his shoulder to cry on. She might never get to know the extent of his job, but it didn't matter as long as Si Jin comes back alive from his dangerous mission. With him by her side, there was nothing she needed to fear of. As her heart settled down, she began to blush when she took note that she was in her birthday suit, pulling up the blanket higher up to the base of her throat with her right hand. "Well, what can I do to make my namja sleep comfortably? A peck on the cheek?"

   Si Jin shook his head.

   "A hug?"

   He should his head again.

  V"A kiss?"

   Surprisingly, the seemingly priceless offer was rejected by Si Jin. She rolled her eyes.

   "So, what do you want?"

   All of the sudden, Si Jin got up, and before she knew what's coming, he was already on top of her, his eyes boring holes into her heart. Her cheeks became as red as a tomato upon noticing how close they were right now-the same position the both had made out together. Her heart skipped a beat, and her breathing became erratic, expecting the passion to fire up inside her soul again. She could feel his laboured breathing and the warmth radiating from his body-the feeling of great need. It made her blush so much that she couldn't stand looking at his face for even a minute. That was when she realised that he too was clothless. "I don't need anything. All I want is you." He planted a kiss on her forehead. In an instant, she could tell that he was trying to fight his urges to do it.

   She was charmed by his aura almost immediately, closing her eyes and grinned as he kissed her forehead. It felt so great to have him by her side, stuck like glue. How she wished that this moment could last forever-together in bed and watch each other's smile, feel each other's heartbeat, and be one in mind and soul. She wished that she was pulled away from all the troubles of the world together with him, to somewhere peaceful and quiet where nobody could find them. She wished that she could have her own world with him, where they could make wonderful memories together, build a wonderful family, watch their children grow into great adults, and grow old together while witnessing the sunset. She wanted all of that-those wonderful fantasies, and she believed that Si Jin wanted it too as much as she was.

   Still, those were all mere virtual projections of the mind, and those fantasies never existed. Reality was hard and rough and evil, but that's the way it was. The human race could only wonder in their heads about their own Neverland as they went through the usual busy day till their bodies could go no more. That's how the human race worked-eat, work, sleep, play. Nothing more, nothing less.

   And they were one of them.

   Mo Yeon was the first to realise that they were delaying time. Si Jin's leave had already ended, which meant that he had to go back to work today. Mo Yeon, on the other hand, would have to go through another day of work to fulfill her humanitarian duty-saving lives. One thing that was special today was that she's not going to work alone this time-for Si Jin and his team were assigned to a role so important as in protecting a VIP-close protection role, or in simple terms, bodyguard role. This meant that Si Jin would constantly be around in the hospital until being ordered to withdraw. That delighted her, really. At least she could stay close to him whenever she wanted and feel safe when he's around.

   "Don't you think we're running late? We have a job to do, remember?" Mo Yeon reminded with her signature stare.

   Si Jin could only smile in agreement as he kissed her lips, in which she responded to it perfectly despite a short one. "Well, what are we waiting for? Let's get to work."

*****

   Si Jin: Just got a call from Battalion. I need to report in first before we can begin.

   Mo Yeon: Go ahead then. I'll wait for you in the hospital.

707th Special Mission Battalion Garrison
Seongnam
   Si Jin saw the entire Alpha Team outside the General's office, apparently waiting for something. Instead of their usual military dressings, the team were all dressed in plainclothes-normal everyday clothes worn by everyday people in the country.

   Si Jin wondered why they were all outside instead of inside, only to be told by Dae Young that the General's having a discussion with a special guest. It had been more than half an hour since they stood here, and it seemed that the discussion could take long. Upon being told about that, Si Jin sighed as he glanced at his watch, which showed a quarter past ten. It would take ninety minutes to travel from the base back to the hospital, and strangely, the time lapse began to make him yearning to go back to her badly. He could only hope that the discussion wouldn't take too long.

   Si Jin was in his blue tee and black trousers, making him look more like an ordinary civilian lost in a wrong place at the wrong time. If it wasn't for his military identification tags and his weapons holster attached to his belt, no one would have known who that person really was. It was a good thing that everyone recognised him, this sparing him the trouble of security.

   Eventually, after a few minutes, the General's adjutant called them in. Only when they entered, they finally realised what took the discussion so long-Major Pavlos was there, and like them, he was dressed in his own set of civilian clothing. He had this serious look on his face, the General too. It dawned on the team that something bad was about to happen, or had already happened, and the situation seemed dire.

   The team failed to notice until some seconds later, a man in dark suits and a blue tie. He was standing beside the General's desk to the right, had a NIS file tugged under his right armpit as he cleared his glasses using his handkerchief, probably oblivious or just pure ignorance that the team was present. The NIS agent's presence only made the environment more tensed than ever before.

   "Forgive me for the delay, but there are things I need to clarify with Major Pavlos here." Lieutenant General Yoon spoke in good English to prevent any misinterpretation or misunderstanding, eyeing the Uruk Army Major before turning his eyes on the team. "Mr Kim over here will tell you the details of your mission."

   Everyone's eyes turned to the thirty-something year-old man as the agent displayed a few pictures in front of them. "A few days ago, we've detected three men in the global watchlist entering our borders." He began with a strict tone, passing a set of photos to the men as he continued. "The person you need to watch out is Khalid-Sun Yang's right-hand man. He was last seen wandering around a market in Busan three days ago. This two men, aka Tamarind and Riko, are Khalid's crew, both of them experts." He explained as he pointed out to the two men caught in a security camera somewhere in Incheon. One had a thick beard, while the other was slightly plump. Based on their faces, the two men looked like they were in their mid to late forties.

   Si Jin and Alpha Team scanned the photo handed out to them with full alertness. "What are they doing here?" Yeung Joon asked out loud, leaving no stones unturned. "I mean, we've not heard from Sun Yang ever since that day in the City Hall."

   "As long as we have no body, Sun Yang's alive." Si Jin answered before the agent could speak, focusing his eyes on the guy in the photograph named Khalid. "I thought these men we've taken down are supposed to be in a detention centre in Uruk. How are they on the loose?"

   This time, Major Pavlos chipped in. "We don't know. Our intelligence in Uruk said that a short-circuit in the detention centre's main power grid had caused a blackout. The power cut had unlocked the digitally-locked doors which allowed them to escape. So far, we see no act of sabotage. Given the age of the detention of the building which is at least eighty years old, power cuts are frequent following budget cuts on security policies."

   "So, inmates always escape from there?" Dae Young asked. "You said power cuts are frequent."

   "You can say so."

   "So much for a perfectly well-protected cell." Si Jin exhaled.

   "Whatever it is, this matter is serious." The agent spoke, calling all attention to him. "For them to enter our territory is a serious case of security lapse. As long as Sun Yang's alive, we can safely assume that they are under direct orders, and their mission could be the boy you brought back to be treated." For once, he eyed at Si Jin, as if blaming him for attracting unwanted attention from the prisoners on the loose. Si Jin tried to ignore that stare though, but it was drilling holes in his heart. "If that boy is under any kind of harm under any circumstances, chances are, we will be having a diplomatic row with the Uruk Government. We don't want another crisis similar to that of the Seoul Station Incident."

   "And that's where all of you come in." Lieutenant General Yoon finally spoke after a long moment of silence and observation. "At all costs, you must protect that boy. Do not let anyone slip in under your watch. And that goes to you too, Major." He referred to Major Pavlos. "As long as I'm in charge, and Major Yoo supervising the crew on the ground, I expect you to follow Major Yoo's orders. Do I get myself clear?"

   Major Pavlos gave a reluctant sigh before nodding his head. "Yes, sir."

   "Alright then, let's get to work."

*****

Haesung Hospital
Some time later.
   In a room set up to be a command centre, Si Jin stood with his hands on his hips as he supervised the PSS technicians scanning their computer screens. For So Jin, commanding an undercover operation could be as tedious as handling tonnes of paperwork. He had to admit that even though this task could be fun in some ways, the way it was done was stressful. Every detail must be screened and checked over and over again to ensure that there were no mistakes, and every face in the hospital were identified and tracked on the database for any last records.

   He was in the same room they had once used in the past, when Si Jin was still a Captain. It was a good thing though that the team was familiar with the hospital's maze-like floor plans, thus easing the pressure by a fraction. The only thing that baffled him was that he was not on the hospital bed anymore, lying injured and all from head to toe, but now stepping into the shoes of Colonel Park Byeong Soo in commanding a secret operation.

   Well, there's always a first time for everything.

   At least he could now watch Mo Yeon's back more closely and keep her out of harm's way.

   A soft knock on the door pulled Si Jin away from his reverie, bringing him back to reality. He allowed the person behind the door to enter and the familiar face of Mo Yeon came in. "You want to see me?" She asked in her usual, casual tone. She was quite dazed to see how meticulous the operation could be, but she quickly turned her attention back to him when Si Jin approached her and showed her the table to her eleven o'clock direction.

   "There's something important I need to discuss with you." He whispered to her, and in and instant, she sensed something wrong. Already in his first day of undercover duty and he was already on stealth mode? This was not a good way to began with. It was a big change from his cheerful character earlier this morning . Now, he was as silent as an owl, and so mysterious that it nearly spooked her off.

   "What now?" She asked somehow, disregarding the uneasy feeling welling up inside her.

   Si Jin ignored her inquiry for a moment as he opened the NIS file on the table, showing her the contents as he picked a photograph and presented it to her. "Recognise this man?" He asked her as he scanned her face. He knew that she would recognise him. Both of them had seen him before back in Uruk.

   Mo Yeon took the photograph and narrowed her eyes as she studied the face in the picture. Her mind began to work, browsing every last memories as she tried to recall who that man in the photograph was. He looked familiar to her, but she had forgotten where and when she had met him. After some time, the memories became clear, and she widen her eyes in surprise when she remembered that day where she was stuck together with Sergeant Major Han Yeol and Yoon Mi at the border, surrounded by Sun Yang's goons. That person in the picture was among them. "I remember now." She muttered before passing back the photograph to Si Jin. "He's with Sun Yang. He got us surrounded, but you arrived in time. What is he doing here in Korea? I thought he is in prison."

   "He escaped, but that's not the matter now. Right now, we have Khalid and two dangerous men in Korea, probably under orders from Sun Yang and seeking for the boy." He replied. "That's why I need to tell you this, because you are responsible for the boy's life. I need to tell you this so that you're prepared for the worst."

   Mo Yeon stayed silent for a moment, looking down to the file on the table. Her intuition was right-there's something wrong after all. It made her guilty all of the sudden, feeling bad for bringing all the trouble back home.

   She didn't want this to happened, but now it did. It looked like troubles were not going to let them go anytime soon. The three men's presence were a perfect proof of that. "I'd this supposed to be classified?" She asked suddenly, catching Si Jin unawares as she turned to look at his face with a sombre expression. "If it's classified, why take the risk and tell me? Aren't you worried that your commander will find out?"

   "The commander trusts me, and I dare to declassify this information to you because you need it. This is important." He pryed out a weak smile, hoping that this would cure her insecurities. He gripped her arms together. "From now on, there are no secrets between us. And as long as I am here, you are safe. I guarantee that with my life. All I need from you-is for you to trust me." He tugged a loose hair behind her left ear. "Just have faith in me. Focus on you work and don't worry about anything. Let me do the heavy lifting."

   Mo Yeon could only sigh. "Ahrasseo." She formed a small smile on her lips as she pulled him into an embrace. "Just don't die in front of me like the last time. If you do, I swear I'll bring you to the morgue and leave you there."

   Si Jin chuckled Yoon hearing her warning. He made a mental note to remember those words from now on. In case if anything went wrong, those words might help to elevate his spirits, no matter how nonsensical it might be. "Ye, algaesumnida, Kang-sonsaeng. I'll follow your command."

   "Well, you haven't told everyone about our engagement yet, right?"

   "Not yet."

   Internally, he wished that he could do a proper one-a perfect proposal to the woman he loves.

*****

Incheon
Two nights later
   Park Shin Seok-the former NIS analyst working for Sun Yang, was on the run. Equipped with only his laptop on his brown bag and only a few dollars for himself, he walked from street to street, trying hard to remain conspicuous from any suspicious eyes trailing him from anywhere. Once, he never experienced fear, but now, he did for the first time.

   He was in a brown hooded jacket which covered his blue collared tee and black trousers, hands in his pockets of his jacket as he quickened his steps. He had a black cap on. He was being followed, he could sense it, and whoever it was, they were close. Probably closer than he thought. He was scared, breathing all but heavy and his heart beat violently. In the crowded streets, he could not just simply run though, which was unfortunate. It could create unnecessary attention which would not only be detrimental to himself, but to the others as well. All that he wanted was to just get off the street as fast as he could and disappear into the dark alleys, gone like smoke.

   He found the right spot to go dark, and he quickly made the turn to his left. Little did he know that he had just made a crucial mistake.

   As he walked deeper into the dark alley, he eventually realised that something was wrong. The alley was too dark, and somewhat too long. This was wrong. It wasn't right. The shuddered feeling inside him was further intensified when he heard the footsteps of a single man behind him. Before he could turn, two men appeared out of nowhere in front of him, as if they had some ability to go through walls, thus stopping Shin Seok in his tracks. He had entered the gully of hell, where there was no escape. Shin Seok had met his doom.

   "It took me a long time to find you." The familiar voice of Sun Yang's best mate, Khalid, echoed throughout the alley in English, reverberating in the darkness behind him. Hearing the low, mysterious tone of his voice made Shin Seok shudder in fear. He was just too scared to turn around. He jolted when he felt a rough pat on his right shoulder. "Fortunately, the boss knows where you are." There was a warm blow through his right ear, showing Shin Seok how close Khalid was.

   And then he saw him, the face of the ruthless Uruk rebel as Khalid smirked at him.

   "Wha....what....what do you want from me? Ju....just tell me! I wi..will do anything for you!" Shin Seok went down to his knees, crying in fear. "Just don't kill me, please! I've done nothing wrong!"

   "Nothing wrong?!" Khalid smacked Shin Seok's face using the butt of his sidearm, causing the poor man to fall on the floor with blood spilling out from his mouth. "You betrayed the boss by trying to sell his assets! You called that 'nothing wrong'?!" He kicked Shin Seok by the stomach using his right leg. Shin Seok grunted in pain. "You've destroyed our boss's foundation, you stupid fool! You are a useless piece of shit, two-faced profiteer, and a loser! 'Nothing wrong', eh? Now, that's nothing wrong!" He continued kicking Shin Seok hard, hitting the abdomen and the chest area with full force that it actually broke some ribbones.

   Khalid paused for a while to catch a breath, thus allowing Shin Seok to have some moment to rest. That was short-lived though, when Khalid abruptly lifted him up by the collar with his two muscular hands and smashed Shin Seok's back on the cement wall. The pain on his back due to the impact was so unbearable that he actually yelled out loud. One of Khalid's goons quickly stuffed a balled-up handkerchief into his mouth, silencing Shin Seok completely. That allowed Khalid to do whatever he wanted with the poor man, punching him continuously until he could do no more.

   "The boss trusted you, and yet you betrayed him! We had done so much to build what we have, and yet you deal with our opponents! You sold our secrets to the enemy! This shall not go unanswered!" Khalid aimed the sidearm on Shin Seok's forehead, the silencer attached to the muzzle of the sidearm touching the skin of the victim. "Any last words before I end your stupid misery?!"

   Shin Seok was able to puff out the pull out the handkerchief in his mouth, panting in pain as he surrendered to his fate. This was it for him now-the end had arrived, just like he predicted and foresaw.

   However, he had no plans of leaving yet, not without giving them a little something to worry about. "You...will not last....Khalid..." He smirked at Khalid. "...Everyone will find you, and your stupid boss! Sun Yang...he deserved it! He should feel the taste of his own medicine! I'm just a middleman, you motherfucker!" He began to chuckle hysterically. "Sun Yang will lose! Mark my words! You better run if you can, because when they find you, they will NEVER LET YOU GO-"

   Khalid fired the shot...

   In an instant, the now-lifeless body of Shin Seok fell to the floor, blood flowing out from the wounds like a waterfall.

   "Idiot!" Khalid muttered out as he took out the silencer and kept his equipment back into his trousers.

   "At least that's one less problem to worry about." A masculine voice suddenly echoed throughout the surroundings, causing the three men to withdraw their sidearms swiftly our of sheer instinct and pointed to the left where the voice came from. Khalid eventually ordered everyone to stand down when the mysterious yet familiar-voiced personality appeared under the dim lights of the streets, thus under the low-light conditions of the night, he revealed his face. He-was none other than Sun Yang.

   "Sorry, boss. I overreacted." Khalid kept his sidearm, expecting some heavy punishment from the man himself. It never happened.

   "If I were the one, I would have done the same thing." He studied the dead body in front of him. "That won't matter now. We have work to do." He took out a red thumbdrive from the dead man's left pocket.

   Don't worry, you comrades. Hell...is coming straight for you.

*****

Haesung Hospital Auditorium
Three days later
   Si Jin accompanied Mo Yeon towards the auditorium room with butterflies in his stomach. The WHO wanted a review on Mo Yeon following her involvement in the Uruk City Hall Attack, and he knew that if the WHO could find her guilty of those crimes she had reluctantly took part, her license would be revoked and she could not be a doctor anymore. It did scared him a bit, but he was mostly worried about her future. She had worked tirelessly all her life to reach that stage in her life and he was pretty sure she too never wanted her efforts to go to waste.

   Still, the law is the law, and no one is above it. Mo Yeon resented to her fate that she could be fired from the hospital soon, but Si Jin never gave up on convincing her that things could change. She was not easily convinced and that worried him. If her emotions got the better of her, for sure she would crumble easily in front of those guys from WHO. Si Jin didn't know whether the WHO's actions were an act of vengeance for the death of one of their colleagues, or simply an act to create trouble and bring Mo Yeon's name to shame. Whatever it was, the results, whatever they might be, were both destructive and unbearable for her to handle. They obviously wanted her out quick and fast.

   They reached the auditorium eventually, but Mo Yeon was just too nervous to enter. She knew that once she stepped into that room, her fate was sealed for eternity. Doubt clouded her mind on whether she should avoid this review or to face her faults humbly. It was obvious that the former presented a better option, but it was for a short term and even though she could avoid it, it was just for a time being. As long as she's still around, the WHO would not stay silent about this matter until she personally appeared in front of them and admit her mistakes. On the other hand, if she chose the latter, she would lose a part of her life and live in disgrace forever. Her consciousness told her to do the latter though, and even though she hated it, it was the best solution for everyone. Maybe, she did deserved to get fired after all. Her crime was just too great to let go.

   Her body language was apparent to Si Jin. In response, he tugged her closer to his body, sniffling the scent of her hair to comfort her. Right now, she needed tonnes of support. He wanted to be there with her to give her what she needed the most. "It's just a review." He whispered.

   "It's a review that will decide my fate. How could I not worry?" She spoke nervously. "I think I'll be fired. The evidence is substantial-"

   "No one's going to fire you, Mo Yeon-ah. Have some faith in yourself." Si Jin chipped in before she could finish. "Besides, you are a victim, not a conspirator. You didn't kill the doctor, so you don't have to be worried."

   "Hajiman-"

   "I'll be there for you, okay?" He stopped her from talking any further, his right index finger lifting her chin up until her eyes met his. "Whatever happens, my love for you never changes. I will support you no matter what." He smiled widely.

   Mo Yeon could only let off a heavy sigh as she dropped her head down to the floor. To tell the truth, his words comforted her a little, but the feeling stayed. What can she do in her life if her license got revoked? How could she live her life like it was before? Worst of all, how could she ever face her mother who had placed high hopes on her from the start? She had sacrificed so much, and now, they were going down the drain just like that. She had wasted it, those years of hard labour just because of one act.

   If only she had a rewind button where she could just go back in time and change the course of events. The WHO guy wouldn't have died, and the Uruk President wouldn't have lost his life. The war wouldn't have started once again in that country and the Uruk Army wouldn't be harassing them to the core. The Prime Minister could have been stopped from expanding his dirty influence all across the country. And the most important thing, she wouldn't have to go and beg like a fool to the Prime Minister and agreed to take the child back just to ensure that she kept her words. All these wouldn't have happened if she had been more rational from the start and not solely focused on saving Si Jin alone, but others as well. True enough, she had sacrificed everyone's well-being just to ensure the safety of one person she loves dearly. It was an unfair trade, and a lethal one.

   However, what's done was done, and she had to pay the ultimate price for it.

   Maybe it was fate that she was not meant to be a doctor. Maybe God had other plans for her.

   So be it! There's no hope anyway!

   "Ahrasseo." She muttered as they turned and entered the auditorium after knocking the door.

*****

   "Dr Kang, do you admit that you are involved in the murder of one of our colleagues back in Uruk?" One of the members of the three-men WHO's investigative body-a Swiss man in dark suit and in his late forties, questioned in English with a serious tone.

   "Yes, I do." Mo Yeon nodded her head guiltily.

   "Then, I suppose you know what the outcome will be for you. Your license will be revoked." The same man replied back with an unexpected smirk. "It's a waste for such a talented woman like you. You've wasted years of medical practice because of that foolish act of yours."

   "Please, get to the point, gentlemen. My doctor needs her answers now." Director Jo fretted. She's with Mo Yeon in the room for she was the Director of the hospital, and since the person involved in the incident in Uruk worked in the compound, she had to be responsible for it as well. She didn't like this review as much as Mo Yeon did and she deeply wished that she could just chase them away. Unfortunately, she couldn't do so.

   Sitting opposite the large roundtable and facing the three-men panel was Mo Yeon, Si Jin and Director Jo. Si Jin was needed because he was the 'sole witness' of her innocence, added with the fact that he planned the counterterrorist operation to take back the building. Si Jin's statement could be Mo Yeon's ultimate lifesaver, or probably just a catalyst to quicken her doom, depending on how the reaction could be.

   "It's actually very simple–you, Dr Kang, caused one of our colleague's death, brought the investigation of the viral outbreak by our party in Uruk to a halt, and now you brought back an infected child belonging to the Prime Minister of Uruk back to your home country. What, do you think that you have the right to transport infected patients here and there without consequences?" The man in the middle-an American and also in the same age category as the man to his right, simplified. "If anything happens, you are the cause of a possible viral outbreak in Korea. You call yourself a doctor? Think again, Miss."

   "I am absolutely certain that I can treat that boy-"

   "With what, Dr Kang? You don't even have the things necessary to conduct a thorough analysis!" The American rebuffed with a slight chuckle. "How is it possible that a cardiothoracic surgeon like you, with no in-depth virological study whatsoever, can do things only virologists can do? It's so funny! I mean, looks at you! You can't even protect yourself!"

   "I've made a promise-"

   "A promise with the Uruk Prime Minister?" The American once again interrupted her from speaking. "Excuse me, Miss, but those promises are between you and him alone, not the WHO. It is obvious that you have disregarded the lives of those around you, and your selfishness is your doom. I dare to say, Dr Kang-you are the worst medical practitioner I have ever seen in my life. Perhaps a total termination of your service as a doctor will be a good answer for your stupidity."

   "Hey, you can't do that!" Director Jo protested, banging her left hand on the table so loud that it jolted Mo Yeon a little. "That's unprofessional of you to accuse our doctor like that!"

   "It is your doctor who's being unprofessional, Director!" The third man who was an Italian finally chipped in. "She had broken her oath! She must be punished accordingly!"

   By this time, anger instead of the feeling of isolation mixed with nerve-wracking nervousness began to envelope Mo Yeon's soul for some reason. Probably, it was because of those men questioning Director Jo's ability to manage the situation, but she didn't feel that way. The pivotal part of her rising resistance was the fact that the WHO actually did nothing to save the situation in Uruk before the war broke out, and now they were playing good cop by putting the blame on her entirely. They called her a worthless medical practitioner, and a stupid fellow, but they obviously didn't realise how oblivious they were to the real situation.

   Si Jin noticed a strange aura emitting from her and realised that it would not be good. How bad it would be, he couldn't identify, but he hoped that her anger wouldn't cause more trouble.

   "...as a doctor, she should have focused on the job at hand, not making deals with a terrorist! If she can't do that, then why should we maintain her status? She is an unprofessional surgeon who uses only her looks for fame!" The American argued his point, eyes turning from Mo Yeon to Director Jo.

   "She's not that kind of doctor! Where's your intellectual mind? You are accusing my employee senselessly!"

   "Our evidence is substantial! We have enough to remove Dr Kang completely!"

   "If you really are concerned about a silly doctor like me, then why can't you focus your efforts in dealing with the viral outbreak in Uruk?" Mo Yeon finally spoke after moments of silence, bringing everyone's attention back to the doctor whose anger was at its boiling point. Mo Yeon gave the panel an agitated glare. "Of all cases, you chose to focus on me and my involvement in the murder of one of your colleagues, rather than the serious case at hand. Tell me, gentlemen, who's being unprofessional now?"

   "Have care of how you speak, Dr Kang-"

   "I AM aware of what I'm doing, gentlemen!" She snapped at the American. "I'm aware that my mistake has caused considerable damage to my career, as well as the lives of everyone I know, but what I really hated about your organisation is that you preferred to make amounts rather than to treat! Look what you people have done to handle the Ebola crisis in Africa! It only shows how incompetent you are-an organisation that makes money out of greed and fame!"

   Si Jin felt like he was an unwilling witness to a verbal fight. It suddenly made him wonder why he was in the auditorium in the first place. Mo Yeon apparently could hold on by herself for now, but his inner instincts told him to stay put just in case.

   "Dr Kang, you are way above the line!" The Swiss man interjected.

   "Am I wrong?!" Mo Yeon defended furiously. "I may have done something hideous, but I did it to save the lives of the people I know and care about!" For once, she detected some weird resonant in her voice when she said the last few words, eyes glancing at Si Jin instantly before returning to the three men. Her heart told her to stop, but her mind refused. In her mind, there's no other good time than the present to defend her dignity once and for all. "As for you, you claim that you are for the world, and yet what are you doing right now? Innocent people are dying in Uruk because of the virus! Yet, during our stay there, the WHO refused to lend a helping hand and claimed that the viral outbreak is an isolated case! The virus is resurfacing and you choose to let it slide! Where's the humanity in you, I wonder! All of you are purely hypocrites, cowering in your suits and ties while pretending that the world is still what it is!"

   "THAT'S ENOUGH, DR KANG!" The Italian had heard enough. This reaction from her was totally unacceptable for the panel. "YOU HAVE CROSSED THE LINE-"

   "In Uruk, I have seen so many people-all of them poor, suffering from poverty and disease. War is constant, and food is scarce. The Government is still recovering from war and is unable to feed its people, much less fix it's infrastructure. Dr Athena had to do the heavy lifting to save her people by initiating the Cluster Project to rebuild everything from scratch." Mo Yeon looked down the table, memories flashing back into her mind. "The virus is threatening to destroy what she dreamed of building. All we need is just a little help from the organisation. Just one recognition and it will be done. Did you do that? Did you make any effort?"

   Her words struck a chord in their hearts. They became silent, embarrassed to the core. Instead of being the judge, they were being judged, and what she said was indeed true.

   Mo Yeon felt like criticising then further, but she knew better than the rest that those gentlemen had known way much more. There's no need for her to waste her breath on this matter anymore. In fact, this review was unnecessary from the start. She didn't know why she had to waste her time with those men and fear for the worst. Her career's over anyway, so why bother? Let them do whatever they want with her.

   With silence filling the room, Mo Yeon decided to leave while she still can. "I think we're done here. I've got more important things to do." Mo Yeon got up, followed by Si Jin and Director Jo and they left the three men in the room to ponder about their own actions.

*****

   "That was a nice one." Director Jo praised the moment they entered her office. "Although it's rude."

   Mo Yeon said nothing. Instead, she sat on the black leather sofa with a frustrated sigh while Director Jo looked on. Mo Yeon placed cupped her face with her hands as Si Jin sat down next to her and gave her a soft pat on the back. The scene only made Director Jo realise that Mo Yeon was not in the mood for casual talks right now. Instead, she too sat down next to Mo Yeon's right while Si Jin eyed the Director with slight suspicion.

   "Looks like I'm really going to lose everything." Mo Yeon muffled. She released her hands from her face, looking down to the coffee table. "Maybe they are right. I don't deserve to be a doctor."

   "Don't say that." Si Jin cut in. "You know what you did is for everyone's sake."

   "But they don't see it that way. That's the problem." Mo Yeon sighed loudly. Reality had struck her head hard the moment she left the auditorium, noticing her 'immaturity' had caused her the chance to prove herself innocent. She shouldn't have talked back to the three men back there. She should have been rational enough to reason with them. Just why in the world did she let her anger ruin everything? "Don't try to comfort me, Si Jin-ah. I know what situation I'm in." For once, she stared outside the window of the office to the rainy environment outside. "Maybe it's for the best. As long as I'm around, I will only cause more harm."

   "Now, that's not the doctor I used to know." Director Jo spoke with a smile. "I remembered once you told me on the roof that day, on the first day we met and became friends-someone changed your life. The person's right next to you. Not only that, you said it too that the people's suffering in Uruk is what changed your mindset. You are not a materialistic woman, and you are neither a pessimist as well. Don't let the past change the future, Kang-sonsaeng. What's happened had already happened. Plus, those men don't understand what you've been through."

   Mo Yeon stayed silent while Si Jin, who had been watching the Director all this while, couldn't help but to nod in agreement. He had never met the new Director before, but he was certain that from all those stories Mo Yeon had told her, she must have got a better picture of him already. She was a trustable person, he concluded, and she could be the one who could push Mo Yeon to greater heights-if that was ever possible though. One less thing to worry about, and way much better than to dread over the previous Director's unpredictable actions.

   Well, that's not important. What's important was Mo Yeon.

   "They do have a point." Mo Yeon said dejectedly.

   "That's what they think. What's important-is your belief." She smiled at her, and for once, Mo Yeon actually glanced at her face. Those words might have struck a chord in her.

   "My belief?"

   "Ne, your belief. If you belief that what you are doing is for the greater good of all, then why should you fret? It's their problem if they can't accept what you do. In fact, I should praise you for this, Kang-sonsaeng. I could have put you into my recommendation list of your application for the post as well."

   "Well, if that is possible...."

   "It will be. I promise." Director Jo spoke with honesty.

   Mo Yeon didn't know whether to hug the Director or to smile at all. The Director was indeed a great person-she cared nothing about her status or fame and fought for Mo Yeon's rights even though she needn't have to. It made her guilty as well as appreciative at the same time. For sure her big deeds for Mo Yeon was just too big for Mo Yeon to repay, and she might still not be able to repay it even after she dies. Second after Si Jin, Director Jo had given her some sort of encouragement no one had actually being able to give before, and it was that positive aura from the Director that elevated Mo Yeon's spirit.

   Director Jo was indeed a great person.

   Slowly, Mo Yeon pryed out a smile, albeit a small one. However, she's not forgetting So Jin as well for being with her all this while. She glanced at the two people she adored the most, smile widening on her face while happy tears began to form in her eyes as her heart was deeply touched by their camaraderie. Optimism returned to Mo Yeon's heart once again. "Gomapta, Director Jo, for that encouragement." She turned to Si Jin, her left fingers intertwining with his. "Gomawoyo, for being there with me when I needed it, even though you've said no words." She chuckled softly.

   "Anything for my jagiya." Si Jin responded with a big grin on his face. Watching Mo Yeon's cute, puppy-faced expression warmed up his heart. "Right, Director?" He spoke to the Director for the first time.

   "That's right!" Director Jo responded optimistically. "You are our family! We won't leave you behind and suffer all alone!"

   Mo Yeon was so lucky-to be showered by love and care from the people she really cared about. Perhaps, they were right-there's always light at the end of the tunnel.
================================
Will Mo Yeon retain her job as a doctor, or will she lose it all?

Evil is lurking in the dark once more, and it's coming straight for them.

What will happen next?

Wait to find out more....

Happy reading!

Romanised Korean Words & Expressions
Kkamjjakiya: You surprised me
Namja: Boyfriend
Ne/ Ye: Yes
Algaesumnida: I understand
Sonsaeng: Mr/ Mrs/ Miss
Hajiman: But/ However
Ahrasseo: Also means I understand
Gomapta/ Gomawoyo: Thank you
Jagiya: Honey

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 239 27
In an era when kingdoms rose and fell at the hands of destiny, a tale unfolded against the backdrop of war torn landscapes. At the center of this wer...
14.4K 462 24
Son Oh Gong left and decided to go to the Netherworld land of dead where Jin Seon Mi is. He was determined to get back Jin Seon Mi and bring her bac...
38.8K 1.6K 33
18+ "Ohh God it's our wedding night! Will he do it today?" Thought of it made me nervous as hell but brought back in reality when his cold fingers br...
214K 14.9K 66
Story by cutegir2002: >>>>>>>>>>>> A story of an army officer Jeon Jungkook officer who is currently surviving his country doing his military enlistm...