Saving Insanity

By OnceUponATime73

"Welcome to the New World, where dreams are followed and lives are glorious." Unless you count the insane. More

Prologue: Idols vs. Mutts
Chapter 1: Classifications
Chapter 2: Increasing Numbers
Chapter 4: The Boy
Chapter 5: Vulnerability
Chapter 6: Hopeless Imaginations
Chapter 7: Shifted Tiles
Chapter 8: Not One Protesting Soul
Chapter 9: Treading Lightly
Chapter 10: Houses
Chapter 11: Stripped to the Bone
Chapter 12: Unwilling to Play
Chapter 13: Lurking in the Shadows
Chapter 14: The Empty Facility

Chapter 3: The Institution

35 2 0
By OnceUponATime73

Day after day seemed to vanish and fall beneath me. I hadn't found India in the bar once within the last four days, somewhere that used to be her favourite location. My sleek, black ponytail whiplashed across my face in the wind on my way back from the bar. Much of my time had been spent there, waiting for my friend to return. She never did.

Main Street was a long, popular strip filled with shops and restaurants, Idols flooding the sidewalks. I rarely walked the whole way down, but my destination required me to. My home was a place where I either sat in darkness or watched through the wide window at the Mutts' exploitation and the Idols' freedom.

In four days I had accomplished little. I had drowned in my thoughts, my nails digging into my skin like I would find an answer buried somewhere. The Institution was on the far side of District A. Not many were granted access into the facility, especially family members of the Mutts.

That was one of the only perks of being a Sorter in the Exam Facility. No one questioned me, as my position was far higher than theirs. Very few were offered jobs at the core facility in the New World, and those beneath me, even workers from District A, did not dare question it. Many abused their power, getting free products and access to practically anywhere they dreamed of going.

The Institution of District A was probably the second largest building in the New World. By far the most secure, the most guarded, and said to be the most horrifying of places. The Guards and Escorts were usually of the second test level, right below those who enrolled in careers at the Exam Facility.

The entrance was far more high-tech than the facility in which I worked at. My hand pressed down on the palm scanner right of the gate, my identification flashing across the screen. The gate gave an alarming buzz before a click echoed into the silent air. I placed my hand on the cool metal, pushing open the gate with a gentle push.

My heels clicked loudly on the pavement, the fence closing loudly behind me. The front doors stood over fifty feet in front of me, the tall structure seeming to tower over the district. I had been in District A for 15 years, and never had I set foot in the Institution. It was not recommended.

I used my palm again to open the front doors, the electrical switch even louder this time. I stepped inside, the white walls almost blinding my dark eyes. The floor was tile, every furniture item marble. The front desk stood largely in the center of the lobby. The Idols that stood at front desks, their sole purpose being to communicate with those who enter were labeled as Communicators. This Communicator had a large, blonde bun positioned high on the top of her petite head. "Welcome to the New World, where dreams are followed and lives are glorious," she huffed out our motto, "May I help you?" she sighed, her blue eyes scanning across my exhausted body.

I strode towards her, glancing around the interior. I placed my palms flat on the marble surface, my eyes darting past her to the screen standing on the side of the desk. "I have been asked to check on the Mutts I had sent here today," my lie was quick, forming in my head since I had sucked back two beers at the bar. I slid my Sorter identification badge towards her, "Completely for research purposes."

"I was not informed," the woman's eyebrows creased, her eyes watching me as she tapped at her keyboard. I placed my badge slowly into my bag, "Well, you know how Idols run. So many things to do, so many last minute choices."

The Communicator hesitated a moment before reaching under her desk and pulling out a visitor badge. "As to not confuse you with the Mutts," her tone was short, "Assembling has just begun on floor six. That should suffice for your research. I will notify the Watchers on your way up."

"Thank you," I clipped the badge to my leather shirt and walked slowly to the elevator on the far side of the level. The silver interior was elegant, creating the impression that the Institution was a brilliant building. When, in reality, it was only a tall structure used for exploiting human beings.

The corridor off of floor six was silent. I held my bag tight to my chest, the lights radiating above my head. Turning out of the hall, the scene was everything other than silent. Machines buzzed, quiet murmurs poured out of the Mutts, knives sliced through tape, the building of our products set right in front of my eyes.

My heart tightened, my breathing calming only slightly as the Watcher arrived at my side. "Good afternoon, Miss Ireland. You may enter the floor, feel free to continue with your research," he nodded before turning his back to return to his station.

I stepped forwards, unknowing of where to turn first. Watchers lined the perimeter, bats in hands as they surveyed the working Mutts. There were dozens, all of them seeming to be in their early adult years. Mutts were sentenced to different tasks throughout their lives at the Institution, depending on the needed amount of workers for each job at hand.

My hands clasped together, the skin on my arms shivering. I walked across the floor, my eyes circling around at the Mutts. Some of them took no notice of my existence, others slightly glancing up at my presence, my clothing unmistakably Idol-wear.

I returned to the wall, scanning the Mutts for an approachable being. My eyes caught a boy, his blonde hair shielding his eyes. He must have been no older than myself, his hands busy assembling a jewelry box. I gazed at the Watchers scattering the room, none of their eyes seeming to be on me. My feet carried me to the edge of the floor to where the boy kneeled on the ground, an assortment of pieces lying by his feet.

"Hello," my voice was still again as I stood above him. He remained looking down, his lessons obviously having been learnt before. Receiving no answer I bent down, "My name is Ireland. Do you have a name?" The Mutt remained silent, fixated on the wrench in his hand. His eyes flicked along the ground, as if searching for a tool. I positioned myself on my knees just as he was, picking up a bolt from the tile floor. I held it out to him, his body freezing for a moment before he slowly took the piece from my hand.

"It is remarkable what you can build," I continued, my eyes resting on the side of his face. He continued fumbling with the pieces. His silence weakened my spirit, pushing me further  into hopelessness for equality. "What district are you from?" I pressed on, determined to hear even one word from the boy. I wanted to hear the voice of an Institution Mutt.

A bell rang out above me, causing my eyes to lift towards the ceiling. The Mutts rose to their feet, leaving me on the tile floor. The boy stood above me as he shoved his hands into his pockets. I rose slowly, watching in awe as the Mutts dispersed. I brushed past the last Watcher on the floor, "How come they do not speak?"

"They have nothing to say," the Watcher nodded his head at me before he departed as well. I stood still in the silent room, half-done products scattered across the floor.

The lobby was empty as well as I stepped out into it. The Communicator at the desk looked up at me only briefly, her eyes cold. "Have a good day, Miss," the words came out in mumbles from her thin mouth. I dropped my visitor badge onto the desk, "I will be seeing you tomorrow. My research is incomplete."

I turned away from her, disapproving of her attitude. Her job must have been so difficult. Watching Idols enter into the building while Mutts did our brutal tasks and whittled away in their own filth. She had a nerve to hate her career. Of course, my thoughts would not shine through. Disrespect was greatly frowned upon, well, to other Idols.

A breeze still whisked through District A, the setting sun barely enough to keep my skin warm. I walked slowly down the concrete path back to the gate. I stopped at the exit, turning to face the tall building. Barred windows lined the outer walls, many of them dark. A few were lit, the slight activity obvious in the tiny rooms.

My eyes scanned the windows of each room, barely seeing any faces at all. The third floor had only one window with a light on, a Mutt hovering behind the bars. The boy. He turned his gaze away, almost as if he hadn't meant to be caught watching. So he had noticed my presence. A small smile curved onto my lips as I turned back around and exited though the Institution's gates.

All I needed was insight. I needed to understand the minds of the Mutts, the real thought processes inside their minds, not the ones the higher Idols shoved down our throats. Mutts like that boy, the ones too afraid to speak or even glance an inch off the floor were the ones I needed to study.

The capability of their minds was something unknown to the Idols. All of these years since the New World began we have simply assumed the multi-souls were the inferior. Maybe that wasn't the case, maybe there was more intelligence lurking within their brains that we had been missing all of these years. They could be the brilliant ones, they could be the ones with their heads screwed on straight, they could be the ones to make our world right.

They could be saved.

~~~

A/N

Chapter 3! Hope it's going well if you are reading.. Please continue! :) Comment? Fan? Something, anything, love you guys for reading :D

~ Meah

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

exhale. By Panda

Non-Fiction

1.2K 160 50
From my mind, to the page, with some editing in between. Thoughts, rants, blurb etc.
219K 2K 60
Bits and pieces of my life enter at your own risk.
8.4K 217 12
Basically Red and Black blood only the Koro Quest version.
30.6K 1.1K 24
**MATURE CONTENT** Abuse.