Guarded ✔️

By dancerthatreads

Princess Braelynn Cochran of Thanes is the next in line for the throne. Begrudgingly affianced and overwhelm... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue
Aesthetics
Aesthetic Blue
Aesthetic Gold

Chapter 12

460 17 0
By dancerthatreads

"Are you serious?  You're not joking, please tell me you're not joking," I said in disbelief.

"I would never, not about this."

I couldn't help the smile that took over my face. And then I hit his shoulder.

"For months now, I had been blowing everything off as you being nice. How long?  How long have you known?"

"Since you came to see me in the infirmary. Although I think I felt it before that, I just wouldn't admit it to myself."

"Gosh, it feels so good for it to be out," I said and let out a sigh.

I finally dropped my hand from his chest.

"So you like me too, then?" he asked shyly.

"How could I not?" I joked.  "But, yes" I dropped my smile, "I do like you too."

A knock sounded at the door.

"Ten minutes princess!" a guard shouted through the door.

"Thank you!" I shouted back.

"We'll talk more later," I said quietly and pressed a long kiss to his cheek.

We walked with my arm wrapped around his elbow tighter than usual, neither of us able to keep a smile off our face.  We kept stealing glances at each other as we walked.  My heart still hasn't calmed down from the reveal.

The party music could be heard from the entry hall where guests lingered around my family. It was tradition that we all walked in together.

Mother and father walked arm in arm first, then me and Maddon, then Kellan trailing behind.

Our shoulders brushed as we walked up, sending shivers down my spine.

It felt so refreshing to know he felt the same way. Like I didn't have to hide it in front of him anymore. The rest of the world, sure, but not him.

And that's all that mattered.

I took my seat on the throne, and Maddon stood halfway behind it, his hand over the top. I leaned back until my shoulder was touching him.

He gently rubbed his index finger back and forth against my back.  Pulses of pleasure rippled from the spots he touched.

I had to take in a breath to stop from sighing. What was Maddon doing to me?

"You may go mingle if you wish," my mother told me and I stood up.

Maddon and I walked arm in arm down the steps and onto the ballroom floor.

A few people were already dancing, but most were talking with each other.

"Splendid job on the party, princess," someone said. I turned around to see Ford standing there, his hand extended for a dance.

I glanced at Maddon before reluctantly taking his hand and letting him lead me to the dance floor.

We began to sway back and forth.

"How are you?  How's everything going?" he asked, twirling me around.

"Fine. Everything's been smooth."

"And the rebels?  Any new news or strategies?"

"No. Nothing in the castle yet, luckily. We're just sending more troops to fight them outside castle grounds. Father had cut our staff down by a lot to find enough people to send," I explained.

"I see. Well, I hope everyone stays safe," he said as the song ended.

I met back up with Maddon after Ford left.

"Sorry about that. Princess duties."

"Don't be," he shrugged.

"Want to dance?" I asked.

"Are we allowed to?"

"I don't see why not," I said and grabbed his hand.

We stayed off to the side, away from the gaze of my mother. The song was upbeat, so we danced a little jig that we both knew.

Both of us were breathing heavy after the song ended, but smiles on our faces nonetheless.

The next song was Silent Night, a super slow song. I linked one of our hands and held it off to the side, putting my hand on his shoulder. He did the same.

"My waist," I corrected and he slid his hands down my side to my waist, moving his fingers on the bodice of my dress.

"Not here," I mumbled. There were too many pairs of eyes to see us.

I moved his hand up a little when I felt it got too low, too romantic.

The song ended faster than I wanted it to, and we pulled apart.

"You two are wonderful together. What kingdom are you from, sir?" a party guest asked as the passed.

"Oh," I smiled, "We're not together. We were just dancing."

"I see. Wonderful job on the party, princess," the guest said and wandered back into the crowd.

More people complimented my job decorating the room. Countless guests came and introduced themselves with their fancy titles and such. I couldn't remember one of them. All I could think of is Maddon's arm muscles as I hung on to them.

He leaned down, lips dangerously close to my ear. To an outsider, it looked as if he was whispering from a normal distance away.

"They're right, you know. This party is amazing," he commented and I smiled.

"Thank you," I said and was cut off my a person walking towards me.

Mr. Buren.

"Bow," I muttered through a closed mouth. "Bow."

Maddon bent into a deep bow, looking proper.

"Princess Braelynn. I hope you had the chance to talk with my son tonight."

"I did, thank you. He was very kind as usual," I answered smoothly.

"Yes, I see. Well, I'll be off. You'll know soon enough," he said and turned the other way.

That was weird. Know what soon enough?

I shrugged and kept socializing with the guests.

Soon enough, the band was packing up and the guests were saying their goodbyes.

I couldn't wait for the party to be over so I could have some alone time with Maddon.

The last guest finally left, and I said my good nights to mother and father and headed to my bedroom with Maddon.

On the walk back, I slid my hand down his arm and grabbed his hand, lacing my fingers through his.

"Aren't you afraid someone will see?" he asked.

"No one is out here at this hour.  All the staff is in there cleaning up the party mess."

"Good," he said and swung our hands back and forth.  A giddy smile spread across my face.  I could get used to this.

Maddon has gotten so confident and expressive since the reveal.  I had thought he opened up before, but now he was showing his true colors.  He was sensual, touchy, and loving.  It was driving me insane.

As we neared the door, we both let go of each others hands.

My maids were waiting as usual.

"I'm very exhausted from the party, and would love to get to bed early. If you wouldn't mind skipping the bath," I lied and they listened.  My heart was beating out of control in anticipation of what would happen when we were alone.

I quickly undressed and redressed and they brushed my hair like always. I bid them goodnight and they hurried out.

"Finally we're alone," I sighed and flopped down on my bed.  "Come sit."

Maddon came over to me and sat down, thighs touching.

I rested my head on his shoulder and sighed.

"I wish things were simpler," I commented.

"Me too."

"Did you hear that guy at the party that thought you were a prince?"

"Yeah," he laughed.

"People were accepting of you.  That's good, right?"

"I guess.  We probably shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves, as much as I would like to."

"I'm sorry," I said.

"For what?"

"That you had to fall for me.  It could have been much easier for you if you would have gone for someone else.  We wouldn't have to sneak around like this.  We could be together already," I explained.

"Don't you ever be sorry for who you are.  I wouldn't have gone for someone else, not if I met you.  We can be patient.  We can wait," he soothed.

"But I don't want to.  I want to be with you now.  But I understand that we can't."

We fell into a comfortable silence listening to each other breathe.

"I guess now I know why you were so reluctant to share my bed.  And why you told me to stop biting my lip," I laughed.

"And I guess I know why you always took in sharp breaths when I was around.  And turned bright red when I complimented you," he added.

"Would you have a problem sleeping in my bed tonight?" I asked, looking at him from under my lashes.

He looked down at me.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm not going to let you try anything unless you want your arm ripped off," I warned.

"I wasn't planning on it," he said. 

"So yes or no?"

"Just for a little while," he said and pressed a kiss to the top of my head.

He crawled over to the other side of the bed and got under the covers.

"You're sure about this?" he asked again.

"Yes!  If you don't want to, then you don't have to.  I don't think sleeping next to each other for a couple of hours is such a big deal," I answered.

"Okay, okay, you're right.  Good night, Braelynn," he said.

"Good night," I said back.

We fell into a silence, both of us trying to sleep, but neither achieving it.

"Maddon" I whispered, "Do you think we could actually be together?"

"Maybe.  I hope so."

"Me too.  What if we could still be together?  Even after I married Ford," I know it sounded crazy.  But Ford and I were getting married simply for political means.  There was no love, and there never would be. 

"I don't know.  Do you think that would actually work?  You would be married."

"Almost all kings and queens that are married just put on a show.  Most of them have behind the scenes relationships.  Maybe we could too."

"I don't like sneaking around like that," he said into the dark.

"Maybe it could change after I'm crowned.  There's a law that says I can remarry once I've been queen for a year. I could use that and we could be together," I planned.

"Braelynn, that could actually work. How long until you get married?"

"I'm not even engaged yet.  Probably a long time.  We can wait, I know we can.  I can just have you as my guard until then.  Maddon, I think we have a plan!"

Maddon grabbed my hand under the covers and brushed a kiss onto my knuckles.

"Until then," he said softly.

"Until then."

I stayed awake in the darkness until Maddon's breathing became even.  Then, and only then, was I able to fall asleep.

~*~

The sun was just beginning to rise when I woke up.

Maddon's arm was over my stomach, and my back was pressed against his chest.

I smiled to myself before snuggling in closer.

As the sun shone farther across the room, Maddon stirred.  He sleepily pulled me closer into him and buried his head in my neck.

"It's too bright," he whined.

"That's what happens when the sun comes out," I chuckled.

He picked his head up and looked around.

"Did I really sleep all night?"

"Yep," I chirped.

He pushed himself into a sitting position, rubbing his eyes.  His hair was sticking up in random places and his uniform was wrinkled.

A knock sounded at the door.

"Good morning, Braelynn," Lauren chirped from the other side.

We looked at each other in a panic.

"Bathroom, go!" I whisper shouted and pushed him off the bed.  He landed with a thud on the floor before getting up and running to the bathroom.

The door opened just as he closed the bathroom door.

"Were you still asleep, dear?" Carrie asked.

"No, I've been up for a while.  Just having a lazy start to the day."

"Where's your guard?" the ever observant Holly questioned.

"Bathroom," I answered calmly.

Speaking of the devil, Maddon walked out of the bathroom looking good as new.

"Morning ladies," he said and they all chorused back the same.

"Did you sleep well, princess?"

"Fabulous," I answered with a smirk.

We shared a knowing look before busting out laughing.  My maids looked at us in surprise.

It was time to come clean.

~*~

Little bit of a filler chapter.  Nothing too exciting, but I hope you enjoyed anyways.

Have a wonderful day!!

What is a weird food combination you enjoy?

When I was little, I used to dip my hard taco shells in Diet Coke.  Sounds gross now, but I used to love it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110 2 18
One tattooed girl. Three frustrated tutors. A whole lot of accidents waiting to happen. It's time for me to join my dad and older sister in Gallyr, t...
21 0 12
Being royalty is something that many children, and even some adults dream about It truly is ideal. Unlimited money, endless respect, loyalty. You cou...
602 16 11
It was the same day after the other. The Princesses sat in their thrones, the royal guards protected the castle, the mane six doing what they do best...
470 52 25
Years after the loss of their beloved King and Queen, the regency in Kaurtyn now has five months to prepare for the crowning of their new monarch. Ne...