little phoenix rising

By crumbledfire

Cassandra Grey was never one of the privileged ones. She grew up under the care of her parents, her mother wa... More

chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five

chapter one

14 0 0
By crumbledfire

Being stranded in space was the only thing she'd ever known. A cell wall had been the only view she had seen in over a year. Here, she was imprisoned. A pencil flittered in her hand as she drew, etching on pieces of scrap paper bound in old leather. Her eyes glazed over when she marked the paper and she tried to picture anything, something she could remember. Faces littered the pages, accompanied by scenes of nature, creatures, and other random things she had thought of. She had drawn many of her friends, Jasper, Clarke, Monty and even the girl who lived under the floor, Octavia Blake, and her older brother. It was because of him that she was imprisoned. The tip of the pencil snapped under pressure and she launched it across the room. It smacked the wall only a few feet away and fell to the floor with a clatter. She held her head in her hands. Today was her eighteenth birthday. The day she was to be reviewed and probably executed. She didn't even know why she was wasting time drawing, but there was nothing else for her to do. She wished for a ball or something physical to do, but they wouldn't dare give her anything even related to fun. A pencil and a notebook was all she was allowed and how she wished to stab one of the guards with that little pencil.

The door opened with a clank and she could hear muffled grumbles and yells. She caught a glimpse of outside and spotted several kids being shoved around, Octavia was one of them.

Guards entered her room and she jumped to her feet. Quickly, she slipped the notebook into the waistband of her black jeans. The leather was cool against her back as the guards grabbed her arms and shoved her against a wall. Her face was pressed hard against the concrete and she let out a string of curses.

"I've got to say, buddy, I'll miss the way you always slam me against a wall." She smirked back at the guard as he wrapped something around her wrist.

He said nothing as something within the wristband pricked at her skin. She may hide it well, but she was still afraid of dying. This would be her last day on the Ark, her last day in space and she would spend it in the ever-so-lovely company of a silent guard. Something metal tightened around both her wrists this time and she recognised the steel as handcuffs. It was strange, if she needed handcuffs, why would she have an extra wristband?

The guard peeled her away from the wall and pinned her arm to her back, earning a few grunts. He shoved her out of her cell, still holding her arm. Other prisoners surrounded her, being shuffled away by various guards. She tried her best to find her friends, but she couldn't in the sea of faces before her. Each level of the prison on the Ark had rows of cells, each occupied by a delinquent who had committed a crime. They were locked up because they were under 18. Offenders over 18 were floated; blown out of the ship and left to die in the void.

The girl struggled against her guard and threw him a disgusted glare over her shoulder. Her glare melted as she caught sight of familiar black hair darting behind her. She shook it off as nothing more than simply another prisoner.

She was confused about what was going on, why were the other prisoners being escorted out? Not all of them were 18 yet. She remained stiff as the guard pushed her along. Her own long brown hair was tied up in a messy bun, yet strands still fell over her face. The guard's hand wrapped tightly around her upper arm and she gritted her teeth. She spun on her heel and raised her fist, but she never made contact. Something pierced her back and her vision started to fade. Everything went to black and she faded to the ground.

The brown-haired girl opened her eyes and raised her head. Spots blinded her sight, but gradually started to disappear. A hand brushed her own and sleepily, she lulled her head to the side. One of her closest friends sat beside her, worry flashing in her eyes.

"Octavia." Her voice was strained and raspy, and she cleared her throat. Octavia's eyes went wide at the sight of the girl beside her.

"Cas," Octavia let out a breath of relief, "We thought you were dead."

"No, just locked up in solitary for over a year." Cassie managed a small smile and Octavia reciprocated it. "What's going on?"

"We're in a ship and that's all I know." Octavia replied with a small chuckle.

Cassie grabbed Octavia's hand in her own, and squeezed gently. The two girls smiled at each other and gripped tightly onto each other. They both jumped as the screen in front of them lit up. Chancellor Jaha's face appeared and Cassie gritted her teeth.

"Prisoners of the Ark, here me now." Cassie rolled her eyes at Jaha's words. "You've been given a second chance, and as your Chancellor, it is my hope that you see this as not just a chance for you, but a chance for all of us, indeed for mankind itself."

Cassie and Octavia shared a bored look.

"We have no idea what is waiting for you down there. If the odds of survival were better, we would've sent others. Frankly, we're sending you because your crimes have made you expendable."

Cassie sighed, "Way to make a girl feel special."

Octavia giggled. Cassie blurred out the rest of Jaha's speech. She never could stand the man, especially as he was the one that gave the orders that generally ended someone's life. It was a crime she could never forgive. Wells Jaha, the Chancellor's son, on the other hand, she could tolerate. He hadn't done anything wrong by her, so he hadn't earnt her distrust yet. Cassie rubbed her thumb against Octavia's as the girl jumped, startled by the sudden shutter throughout the drop ship.

One of the prisoners unbuckled his seatbelt and floated through the ship. Octavia and Cassie laughed as he lay on his back and floated around. Two other boys climbed out of their seats and Cassie begun to get worried. They were hitting turbulence now and that could mean death for them if they weren't strapped in. She was right, they hit a massive bump and the three boys went flying across the ships. Bones crunched and the impact sent chills down Cassie's spine. Sparks flew above her head and Cassie tried to duck as best she could.

"Cas?" Octavia's voice crushed Cassie. She never wanted to hear her best friend that scared ever again. She squeezed tighter to Octavia's hand as the ship plummeted to Earth. They hit the ground with a loud thump. Octavia glanced to Cassie, a smile beginning to grow on her features.

"We're alive." Cassie breathed, throwing her head back in relief. They grinned at each other as the prisoners began to get up from their seats. She and Octavia unbuckled themselves and followed the rest down to the bottom floor. Octavia went down the ladder first and Cassie followed, her eyes following the rungs of the ladder as she climbed down.

Octavia's voice sent shudders down Cassie's spine. "Bellamy?"

No, it couldn't be, he was older than 18, surely he wouldn't be on the ship. Her jaw fell as she stopped mid-way down the ladder. There he was. Bellamy Blake. The boy she had grown up with. The boy she would give it all for. Standing before her in all his glory. Heat filled her heart at the sight of him, those freckles covering his olive skin. Those dark eyes found her own light orbs and her breath caught in her throat. His mouth fell open at the sight of her and he gripped Octavia tighter. Cassie dropped down to the ground and the crowd of prisoners spilt to let her pass. Her lips remained tight as she approached the Blake siblings. Cassie was so entranced by Bellamy that she didn't see Clarke standing beside her.

"Where's your wristband?" Clarke's words drew Cassie's attention to Bellamy's arm. It was bare. Self-consciously she rubbed her own wrist, she couldn't wait to pry the thing off.

Octavia spun around to face Clarke. "Do you mind? I haven't seen my brother in over a year."

Protests and confusion erupted from the crowd. Cassie didn't expect any less. Bellamy and Octavia were the only siblings in 100 years, they were bound to face some resentment. Cassie took a few steps forward; she had already anticipated Octavia's next move and she caught the girl just before she lunged.

"Not now, Tavia." Cassie warned, her voice sharp. Her bright eyes found Bellamy's as they both held Octavia back. He drew his lip between his teeth and let out a low breath.

"Let them remember you for another reason." He offered.

"Yeah? Like what?" Octavia countered, spinning back to stare at her brother.

Bellamy's gaze flickered to Cassie and she raised an eyebrow, "Like you both being the first two people on the ground in 100 years."

Octavia and Cassie shared an excited grin and nodded. Bellamy smiled back and turned around to open the door.

Bright light blinded the girls as they stood at the door. Sun kissed Cassie's skin as she and Octavia hesitantly stepped out. Bellamy watched the pair as they walked down the ramp. She and Octavia grasped hands and jumped out onto the earth below. Cassie glanced over her shoulder to see Bellamy staring at the duo, a proud smile on his features.

Cassie and Octavia grinned up into the sun, and glanced at each other. In unison, they screamed, "We're back, bitches!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 9.1K 110
"You think I'm golden?" "Brighter than the sun, but don't tell Apollo" Dante hates Rome's golden boy. Jason doesn't even remember him. Right person w...
1.3M 58K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
223K 7.7K 98
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
108K 3.2K 31
"she does not remind me of anything, everything reminds me of her." lando norris x femoc! social media x real life 2023 racing season