The Dry Lands ✔️ [TSS#1][BXB]

By emmastories

(COMPLETED Book 1 of The Sector Series) Keylin is a young elf trying to get by in life. Looked down upon beca... More

The Dry Lands
Prologue
I
II
III
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
PAPERBACK🤭

IV

22.6K 986 568
By emmastories

N

o sooner were foreign hands gripping me when the horse finally came to a stop, pulling me down by my forearm making me almost fall before the hands tightened above my binded hands and yanked me towards them. I yelped as my feet almost gave way when I touched the ground.

"Vnimatelen!" The boy's voice hissed from above me back on the horse making my head spin as I tried to focus my vision through the dark cloth but it was to no avail. My head jerked from side to side as I was being led somewhere. Limping slightly.

There was a snort from beside me before the hand around my arm tightened. I clenched my teeth at the action not liking this man, even though I could not see him.

"Pobarsai." He sounded as though he was directing this at me for some reason as he yanked me roughly forward again causing me to yelp. This didn't sit well with the other boy that I had rode with as he immediately got down from the horse we were on and started to speak quickly in his own language to the man holding me prisoner. Sounding displeased about something.

They continued to argue for several minutes before I was being thrown at the boy. Literally. The man flung me at him as if he were disgusted by me all of a sudden and making me almost fall over. I gasped.

I could feel hands catching me. The same hands that belonged to the boy that poked and prodded at my ears from before. I knew it was him because of his soft touch unlike the other man's that was harsh. The boy helped me into a straight position, one of his hands squeezing my shoulders before moving down to the middle of my back. I shivered at his touch before he is saying something to me and I'm walking forward.

I walked for what felt like hours but in reality was only a few minutes. The air filled with the sound of the boy's and my footsteps and my racing heart. I didn't know where I was going but I knew when the atmosphere had changed drastically from silence to what seemed like uproar from a crowd of people around me. I was shoved forward through people in distress.

They were elves, I knew that much by how they were shouting profanities and curses as well as pleas to stop whatever they-The Dry Landers were doing. Some even crying as they shouted. This made my stomach drop at the thoughts of what awaited me. What were they doing that made the elves fear them so?

I let out a strangled noise as I was being forced to my knees suddenly. Hissing at the pain shooting in from my legs before the sack that was over my head, taking away my vision was suddenly lifted. My eyes blinking repeatedly as I winced at the sudden light filling my vision, I shook with fear. It took me a moment to realise where I was as I looked around me, I was in the market square of Versai. Elves gathering a few metres away as they screamed at the Dry Landers around me. Shoving forward only to be shoved back warningly by Dry Lander men with swords and axes.

I looked to the side, my hair catching in my eyes as I found other elves kneeling in the same position as me; tied hands as they knelt forward. A Dry Lander behind them looking on emotionless as the elves heads bowed forward in silent fright. Some had tear stains from where they had been crying and a few looked as though they were still crying out of fear. All together, I'd say there was ten of us lined up beside each other a few foot apart.

The sound of heavy boots rang through the sound of my heartbeat and I looked at the end of one of the kneeling elves to see a man not older than 24, his hair and skin matching the rest of the Dry Landers however his eyes were a dark chocolate brown. Almost black and menacing as he looked down seriously at the elf closest to him in the line.

I watched as he grabbed the elf's chin harshly and tilted it upwards for the man to get a proper look at the elf's features. He looked at the crying and shaking elf in his clutches for several moments before stepping back, looking up at the Dry Lander standing over the elf and shaking his head before moving onto the next elf in the line. Repeating the process again. Not one did he nod his head to.

I furrowed my brows at him as I watched the scene in front, wondering what it was he was doing, or looking for. He was looking for someone.

My breathing began to get faster as he was only one person away from me now and he didn't look happy. You could see it in his eyes the anger over something-or the lack of something perhaps. I could only worry what would happen to the other elves and I after he was finished-"

My chin was suddenly grabbed sharply making me gasp as I close my eyes in fright. The man shakes me slightly and demands something from me in his language.

The boy's hand is immediately on my shoulder, squeezing slightly and I open my eyes at this, looking up at the man with fear coursing through me as I notice him looking at my face with wide eyes. He tilts my head to the side as he moves his hands over my unbruised cheek. He quickly brings my head back making me look forward again before he is leaning down. His eyes piercing into mine, looking shocked.

"Tova e toî." He states after clearing his throat all of a sudden. His eyes seem to soften for a moment. His thumb running over my chin lightly before the soft look in his eyes is gone, being replaced by that emotionless stare as he steps back. Looking up to the Dry Lander above me and nodding his head.

My eyes widen at that, heart sinking as I wonder what that means. I didn't understand what was going on. Is it because of my green eyes? It had to be. There had to be some sort of mistake.

I begin to hyperventilate as I'm being pulled to my feet by the Dry Lander boy. Looking out at the crowd now not as loud as they once were after looking closely at what was happening before them. Almost all of them now looking at me closely in confusion as I am being dragged.

"No!"

I hear Corrin's voice before I see him, he is trying to burst through the crowd. He makes it through but only gets a few steps before a Dry Lander pushes him back making him stumble but he quickly gets up. Eyes watering as he looks at me.

My heart breaks as I see this. Not realising that tears were starting to pour from my eyes as I see my grandfather and Corrin's father burst through the crowd also before stopping behind Corrin. I can't help the tear that escapes my eyes as my grandfather's face turns pale, his mouth opening and closing. He doesn't know what to say as he looks on with such sadness in his eyes.

"No! Avus!" I sob out now as I go to run forward. Managing to catch the Dry Lander dragging me off guard. I run forward but I don't reach my family, the Dry Lander boy keeps me from doing so as he continues to drag me. He tries to turn me around so that I am not looking behind me but I struggle and manage to do so and look at Corrin who is being held back by his father. He is crying as he screams for me. Screams for the men to let me go.

"Let him go! Leave him alone!"

"Corrin, adiuva me! Obsecro.."

I sobbed as I screamed for help. For someone to help me, anyone.

Corrin's tear stricken face was the last thing I saw before the boy was giving me to someone, making his way back onto the horse that I now saw was a large black stallion.

"Obsecro.." I pleaded in fear and tear stained cheeks up at the boy. My eyes pleading for mercy. The Dry Lander on the horse looks down at me with emotionless eyes, holding a hand out as the man he gave me to was suddenly pushing me towards him. I yelped as the boy reached down and dug a hand under my bounded arms. Putting pressure over my abdomen as he lifted my body up as if I weighed nothing before pulling me down onto the horse. Taking up the position we were in the first time we rode here on the horse only this time I saw him grab the reins for the horse before his fingers dug into my sides to keep me in place. I winced at the familiar feeling, knowing that there will be bruising in the coming days.

As I made a quick turn of the head, noticing that other Dry Landers were also climbing up onto their horses, my eyes fell on the Dry Lander that had nodded his head towards me. Glaring at him as he looked down at the other elves who were still in their kneeling positions. Their heads lifting to look at me curiously and worriedly.

That's when I saw the Dry Lander say something to the men standing behind the chosen elves and watched in horror as each of the men took out a weapon from their belt loop.

"No! Please, don't hurt them! I'll go with you please!"

There were screams of horror from the onlooking crowd as my stomach churned and all of a sudden I felt lightheaded from looking at the scene behind me. The elves began to riot and a gruesome scene was starting to play out between Dry Lander and the elves; blood was being spilled as boys my age ran to their parents. Some werent so lucky and got caught in the crossfire.

I didn't know I was hyperventilating, my breathing feeling as though it was constricting and tightening. Making it harder for me to breath.

The boy behind me seemed to notice this and he looked down at me with a furrowed expression as I met his eyes. My eyes bloodshot from crying now, he seemed to pity me. Shaking his head as he grunted at me while lifting his head as if to say to keep my head forward as we left the area, slipping away.

I opened my mouth wide eyed but nothing came out apart from a sob as I could still hear the screaming and cries of the people. Some of the boys that were in line with me were not much older than me, the rest I recognised to be in Corrin's year.

The boy behind me brought me out of my gloomy daze raising his voice as he said something to me but I didn't understand him. I looked forward, trying to suppress my wince as I let my tears fall silently. Looking down I gripped the mane of the stallion tightly. Almost feeling sorry for the horse as I knew I was causing it pain. None of it phased me. I needed something right now and seeing as Corrin's arms were unavailable, this would have to do.

The boy muttered something to me and I grit my teeth at this. My heart pounding loudly as I narrowed my gaze at my tied hands.

"Stop talking to me." I breath out in frustration. "We both know it's useless and I can't understand you."

He just seemed to grunt at this but stayed silent. It was almost as if he understood what I was saying. Sulking behind me. However I don't know if he was sulking or that was just how he acted. One moment he was soft and maybe even caring towards me and the next he was cold and distant. I didn't pay much mind to it because it was the last thing going through my mind right now as I held in my choked tears. Gripping the horses hair tightly in my hands.

----

I didn't know how I came to fall asleep on the horse. Maybe it was the pure exhaustion of not having slept last night or the crying that wore me out but I awoke with a start from where I was leaning over the horse, afraid I would topple over but the boy's hands still remained on me, holding me in place and not letting me fall off. In my head I mentally thanked him before reconsidering. My face souring.

It was his fault I was in this mess in the first place. He was the one that kidnapped me from my home. He didn't deserve my thanks.

I pushed myself up by my bound hands as my eyes adjusted to the scenery around me. Eyes widening as I blinked repeatedly. My head looking around curiously.

We were descending slowly. The horses taking their time as they came down from the High Peaks. I suppose it wasn't called the High Peaks for nothing. Versai stood at the top of the High Peaks, well into the mountains. No one has ever descended the long trek down the sides of the mountain before because it was dangerous if you didn't know what you were doing or where the safe passages were.

Looking up and to my disappointment I noticed we had descended a good distance from Versai. They obviously knew how long it took to travel between the High Peaks and the Dry Lands. It took around two days of travel to make it down off of the mountain before any light way can be made. It made me wonder how much planning and preparation had gone into this.

The boy did not make a sound as I stirred in front of him. Nor did he make any motion to speak. He stayed silent as did I. Travelling down the mountain at a steady speed.

It became a lot colder as the temperature drastically dropped when we came down and I shook, my teeth beginning to chatter as goose bumps rose on my arms. It didn't help that all I was wearing was my open toe sandals being held by cloth that wrapped half ways up my leg to my knees before connecting and tying over the loose white shorts. Nothing but a tight green leaf patterned waist coat over a loose sleeveless brown top.

At the top of the mountain it was hotter due to their being a small tropical rainforest in the High Peaks full of exotic animals. The cold was new to me.

My ears flattened against my head in order to preserve warmth. I knew that it was dangerous for elf ears in this temperature as it can lead to frost bite. Resulting luckily in turning deaf instead of the horrors of having an ear cut off to prevent death.

I whimpered when a cold breeze blew through me, pushing my hair out of my eyes as we were now half ways down the mountain. The ground was now littered with white snow in which the horses whined at the coldness under their hooves.

I could hear faint shouting from ahead causing the horses in front of us to stop and in turn making the boy pull on the reins for our horse to stop. I watched through chattering teeth as the men began to climb down from their horses, shaking out their stiff bodies as some clustered together. Chatting and laughing to each other like long time friends.

The boy shifted from behind me before he too was climbing down from our horse. I watched him as he did before he was shaking out his stiff legs and clapping his hands in order to try and get blood circulating in the cold. He brought his lips up to them and blew in to warm them before looking up at me. Taking a breath before reaching up and helping me down.

When my feet touched the snow ground my legs almost gave way from beneath me and I let out a yelp. The boy held me up with a soft grunt as he motioned for me to shake out my legs. I didn't understand him at first and it was only when he repeated what he did the minute he stepped off of the horse I got it and lifted my heavy legs up.

The pins and needles stung but it was a good sign that I wasn't about to lose the feeling of my leg as the blood began to circulate. The boy held me up the whole time and when he felt that I could stand on my own too feet, that was when he let go. Coming in front of me as he pulled my bound hands up to his vision.

My body and teeth shook as he looked down, unbinding my hands as he bunched the rope up before shoving it in a satchel attached to the horse.

He said something but I wasn't paying attention. My eyelids every few seconds falling shut as I zoned in and out of consciousness. I stayed upright though to my relief.

There was a voice a small distance behind me that made the boy in front stop what he was doing to look behind me. His eyes hard and eyebrows furrowed in confusion. The only indication of emotion on his features. I turned around also at the voice in confusion.

"Rain!" One of them shouted over the wind and I looked up at the sky in confusion. Finding no trace of any rain bearing clouds threatening to spill and the heavens to open up. The boy behind me chuckled causing me to jump in surprise at his closeness and turn around quickly. A look of amusement played on his features as he looked down at me. The edges of his lips turning up into a smirk but it was faint. His eyes crinkled slightly as he opened his mouth to speak.

"As se kasvam Raen."

I tilted my head slightly at that.

What an unusual name. I have never come across someone by the name of Raen, like the weather only spelt differently-as he took the time to enunciate. I couldn't help but think that it suited him. He was unusual as well as unpredictable. Come to think of it, he was beginning to sound more and more like the weather. Sunny and warm one minute before cold and showery the next and before you know it, you find yourself in the middle of a thunderstorm.

"Raen." I tested the word on my lips and watched as he nodded once at me.

As angry and hurt as I was. Even though I blamed this Raen for kidnapping me, It is an elf's nature to forgive. No matter how bad a person is or has done, we must let go of our hatred and clear our minds. If we don't, we can become sick. That was the last thing I needed right now, to become sick while trying to figure out how I would escape them. I always struggled with forgiveness which is why I was always feeling weak and bruised easily. I don't know how I can forgive them for something like this...why should I? Why did they even kidnap me in the first place?

I needed to gain their trust if I was going to survive.

He has been sort of kind towards me this whole time. He didn't hurt me physically nor did he talk down to me. He treated me better than some of the elven kids I grew up with and I mentally scoff at the irony. I was mostly afraid that maybe if I didn't at least go with what this Dry Lander was saying, he might show a side to him that I don't want to see. I don't want to risk it. I need to do what I can to survive and hopefully find a way to escape from their clutches and find my way back home.

I brought up my shaking hand and pointed to my chest. My eyes looking up as I spoke through clattering teeth.

"K-Keylin. I-I am Keylin-n." He looked down at me with an unsure smile. His eyes twinkling at my voice.

Definitely like the weather.

--

He was staring at me.

I could feel his stare boring into my chest as I looked down at what they had said was food. (By food they made a hand motion of eating cereal. I said nothing as they handed me what I could only think to be stew.)

As I brought the spoon up to my mouth skeptically, sniffing it beforehand and scrunching my nose lightly. I brought it back down to land in the stew with a small 'plop' and I ignore my stomachs protests.

It didn't smell like chicken. It smelt vile, almost like urine with floating chunks of carrot and leaf and some meat that definitely wasn't chicken.

"Keylin."

I looked up at the voice for my eyes to land on Raen sitting a few feet away from me, getting through the last of his stew as he looked down at me. His lips pressed into a thin line as his eyes were hard but not harsh. I noticed, that's what made Raen different from the other Dry Landers. He looked frightening and I wasn't the only one who seemed intimidated by him.

Raen motioned for me to eat. Using the cereal hand motion before pounding his chest once.

I think that he was trying to tell me that it would give me strength? Or help me keep my strength, I wasn't sure.

The others said something to Raen making them all erupt in laughter as Raen frowned. I somehow had the feeling that they were not telling Raen to give up, but mocking me for something.

I caught eyes with one of the Dry Landers laughing at me and I narrowed my eyes at him. I looked down at the stew with a scowl before lifting the stew up to my mouth. My hunger getting the better of me and I swallowed it down. The feeling of the watery substance gliding down my throat made me splutter slightly but I held it down. Looking up at Raen as I went for another spoonful, I caught a sign of a smile on his lips before it is quickly gone and his eyes are looking away from me.

I finish the stew, feeling warmer but still cold in the freezing temperature. It was starting to snow as everyone was beginning to load back onto the horses after resting for a bit and eating. They were ready to begin their journey again.

One of the younger males of the group that I have come to realise was purely men between the ages of 18-30. 18 being the boy in front of me as he took my empty bowl from me. Stacking them away with the others.

"Thank you." I say quietly. Not knowing why I said it as they didn't deserve my thanks. They kidnapped me and killed God knows how many of my people. My obedient and kind nature was starting to get on my nerves. I was struggling to keep my emotions in check but I have noticed a depletion in my health in the form of chesty coughs. Besides, none of them speak English anyways.

He surprised me however when he narrowed his eyes at me. Almost as if he was contemplating something before shrugging. His eyes softened from their hard gaze.

"You are welcome."

He had an accent. You could tell he wasn't fluent with English as it wasn't his mother tongue but just by him saying these words, he had unlocked a dying hope from within me as my eyes lit up. My mouth forming to speak but no words came out. He could understand me...

"Malakei!"

The boy jolted in surprise before turning with a harsh glare that could make hell turn to ice. I watched as he sent this glare to a boy not much older than him. Looking at the other boy, it was blindingly similar how much they looked alike. I knew right then that they were brothers. Malakei being the younger and probably youngest of the whole group.

The brother spoke something to him harshly before glaring at me. Making me look down, avoiding his gaze. Malakei however, did not hold his tongue and spoke back in an accusing and angered tone to his brother. I looked up when Malakei was finished speaking to catch his brother rolling his eyes and turning around to climb onto his horse.

"Esshole." He mused making me stiffle a giggle at the mispronounced word. He looked down at me slightly amused and slightly curious with a raised eyebrow before I corrected him on the word.

"Asshole."

"That's as I said. Asshole." He stated, this time referring to me as the asshole for not understanding him before sticking out his tongue at me. I couldn't help but blink up at him in confusion.

He was childish for his age. Even though he was older than me, something about him made me feel...comfortable. A sinking in my chest confirmed my emotions. He reminded me of Corrin somehow. He was careless to do what he wanted, didn't care for anyone's opinion. I didn't know what it was about him. Maybe it was the fact that there was someone to talk to now that spoke English. I could learn from him somehow and maybe find out why I was here in the first place. I didn't know.

"I'm Keylin."

"I know, Kaylin." He rolled his eyes at me, mispronouncing my name and I didn't know if I should be concerned that he knew my name or not, guessing that Raen had told him my name already. I find myself chuckling however as I shook my head at him. He raised an eyebrow at me. Daring to challenge him.

"It's Keylin, Key not Kay." I said. My dimples poking out at this and he smirked down at me as his raised brow never faltered.

"Whatever Kaylin."

"Whatever Malakay."

Malakei's eyes widened at that and he was about to say something when his brother's yell made him close his mouth

"Malakei!" His brother yelled making Malakei roll his eyes, turning his gaze to where his brother was waiting for him expectantly from his horse. Malakei quickly made his way over to him, his shoulders tense and feet trudging through the snow, I couldn't contain my laughter as he looked like an angered duck.

"We talk again yes?" He called out and I looked up to find he was already on top of the horse. Slapping his brothers shoulder from behind making his brother yelp in surprise before he was turning around to try and slap him. I chuckled at them shaking my head.

"Talk to you later Kaylin."

I rolled my eyes as I watched them begin to ride ahead, joining into the small trail of horses beginning to leave.

Not realizing I had a smile on my face, the smile suddenly started to fall as I come to terms with what I had done, bringing my hands around me. With realisation, I look around to see that the Dry Landers were busy packing up the horses and talking with one another. I decided that this was a perfect opportunity to make myself disappear. I shouldn't be too far from Versai. Maybe if I ran I could get back home by morning...

I began to slowly walk backwards until I was out of slight from the talking Dry Landers. Just as I was about to turn around however I felt hooves make their way up behind me and a loud sneeze makes me jump in surprise. I turn around wide eyed to see Raen already on the horse and raising his eyebrow at me.

My eyes widen but I suddenly frown and my forehead creases.

"Do you...speak English?" I ask him and he hums in response-his response to mostly everything-, holding out his hand for me to help me up onto the horse. I take it hesitantly and he half pulls me up before I settle into the familiar position. Expecting his hands to dig into my side like the last time but instead he lets them rest either side on top of my thighs holding the reins. I clutch the horse's mane as I shift on the horse. Raen doing the same but instead shifting closer to me so our bodies were touching each other. Our legs, stomach and chest-everywhere was touching and I couldn't help the small twitch from my ears as a blush rose on my cheeks.

"I-I'll take that as a yes."

**

Another update :) if you enjoyed his chapter why not leave a vote or comment your thoughts x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.8K 4.9K 31
When an asteroid nearly misses Earth, a stange pod lands amongst the debris. It ends up in the new city museum as an attraction. This thing throws th...
29.6K 948 11
"Have you come here to die?" The voice was a bare whisper against the enveloping dark. It sounded stark and cold, with nothing in offer linked to saf...
230K 5.9K 31
Riley Smith is about as troubled as they come, he's anorexic but in denial about it and fights a lot. What happens when his parents kick him out then...
1.1K 111 28
Note: LGBT romance with mature themes. When Rylee finds himself stuck in a tight spot, he has no other choice than to team up with the enemy to save...