The Soul Conflict

By GobyKing

It was supposed to be a relatively simple occasion. Nathan was to be a college graduate and the he would have... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1: Neural Flame
Chapter 2: The Client
Chapter 3: Interview
Chapter 4: Martapura
Chapter 5: The Kadan
Chapter 6: The Hunter Emerges
Chapter 7: Distress
Chapter 8: Snakebite
Chapter 9: Confined Again
Chapter 10: Awakening
Chapter 11: Pursuit
Chapter 13: Debriefing
Chapter 14: Training Day
Chapter 15: Altara
Chapter 16: When Sunai Calls
Chapter 17: Into The Fray
Chapter 18: Down Under
Chapter 19: Extraction
Chapter 20: Voldusaya
Chapter 21: The Fire Brightens
Chapter 22: Reinforce
Chapter 23: Confrontation
Chapter 24: The Door Opens
Chapter 25: Monster Slayer
Chapter 26: A Fiery Prophecy
Chapter 27: Justice
The End

Chapter 12: Unity Lance

5 3 0
By GobyKing

Gah...what is it this time? I'm already sore enough from my battle, but sleeping against a wall hasn't done me much good either.

It looks like daylight is just barely creeping through; the sun has only begun to rise. But something is off. There is a pair of lights shining on the wall next to me through the main aisle. Flashlights, perhaps? Either way, those are not natural lights. I need to find out who is here. Although I wish I could have some coffee first.

I began to crawl to the wall opposite of the two lights so I can get a better look at the source. Who was this and why have they chosen to come here of all places?

Crap. It's exactly who I don't want it to be. There is one of those dark green armored cars parked in front of the store. Three goons stepped out of the vehicle, each armed with a rifle and standard grayish blue armor. I ducked back behind the shelf. Why have they come here!? What do I do?

"Think this is the right place?" One of them said in a deep baritone. I'll call him Barry. He was speaking in English, much to my surprise. With no accent apparent either. Something is fishy...

"Could be. The announcement said the target escaped in a stolen red Toyota. I do believe this car is the very same one." Another with a higher pitched voice replied. I will refer to them as Mini.

"Do you think we can catch the sermon while we hunt him down? It'll be more efficient that way and also I want to have some more time for football later." A more nasal voice said, and I assumed it to be the last of the three. I'll call him Nosy. What was that about a sermon?

"Have you no sense of urgency? We are hunting down a criminal." Mini scolded his partner. Criminal. That kind of stings...that kind of really stings. That's not who I am.

"So? We have guns and the report says he doesn't. He's like, screwed." Nosy countered. I almost find myself agreeing with you there, Nosy.

"The report also said that the target bested The Prophet in a fight. I find that hard to believe." Barry said. You are damn right I bested him in a fight! I'd do it again too.

"Perhaps The Forefather had not shined his light upon him that day." Nosy said. What was he going on about? Forefather... "Now, if you excuse me I am going to put on The Prophet's sermon. I don't want to miss it and I would prefer to hear it live."

"He'll hear us-" Mini protested but a strange buzzing sound came from the car. I am going to assume that Nosy is not listening. These guys sound like a couple of jokes.

"Welcome to the Unity Lance's channel. Our daily sermon shall begin within one minute. Remember, all recordings are mandatory for listening." An enthusiastic mechanical voice sounded from the car. The Unity Lance...that is either their radio station or the name of the enemy.  One of the soldiers sigh with annoyance.

"...Let's just get this over with." Mini said. I heard the shuffling of their armor as they began to walk into the station. I am in deep trouble. Worse still, I am going to be in this situation while listening to the voice of one of the people I hate most in this world.

"Good morning, my loyal companions!" The cheery voice of Mondre chirped on the car radio. Ew. "It is time for our daily sermon. Despite the havoc that is ongoing these past few days, we mustn't lose heart! Please, join me if you would in my sermon." He then cleared his throat. The soldiers must have stopped to listen, because I don't hear the shuffling of their boots across the floor.

"In the age of silent solace, we stood as the oppressed robins under the boot of  secretive snakes. We were denied the promise given to us by The Founder because of their selfish greed. For centuries our pleads were unanswered and ignored." Mondre said with a sorrowful voice. "Then, he came to us to give us the gift we desired. Our Forefather, our shining star, fought against the gluttonous snakes so that all of humanity may have access to the great gift of magic. War broke out and in the end we were defeated. Our Forefather and all of his followers, including myself, were sealed away in a select region of The Congo." Alright, I admit it. I have to know what he is going on about. This is all news to me. If I just keep hidden, I might be able to get vital information.

"I never tire of this story. I do wonder when he is going to give us our magic though." Barry said with delight.

"Shhh he's not done yet." Nosy said. Crap...I can hear them moving again. And they are wearing those stupid boots that constantly squeak.

"For many decades we spent our time in forced solitude. We waited patiently for our release after having no hope of escape. And then just four years ago, he arrived. The Wanderer." That better not be me he's talking about. "A curious child who wandered inside the temple graciously freed us, but turned against us out of envy of our strength."

Okay first off you locked me inside you sociopath! Second, I didn't intend to free anybody. I just wanted to keep my family safe. I turned against you after you betrayed me! Gah, this guy gets on my nerves. To make matters worse, he was still going.

"We came to this land to spread our message: The time for hiding has come to a close. Now we must let our gifts be known and given to those that follow us. Let there be no more secrets. I am sure many of you are pining to receive your gift, but the truth is those snakes are still out there keeping their secrets. Their secrets in the form of the Terbangun Jiwa. Thus, our mission is clear. Find the Jiwa and unbury the myths to make them a reality. May the Forefather shine his light on our path." Mondre concluded.

So that's it then. The Serpent and this Unity Lance are after the Jiwa. Well, that's not about to happen. Not while I am here. I am not going to make the same mistake of letting you get away again. Not this time.

"Now that gets my blood pumping! He sure does have a way with words, yes sir. I mean come on Bruce, you can't tell me that doesn't hit you in the heart. Our gift is coming!" Nosy squealed like a little child. How can you buy any of that?

"You know how I feel about him. I am only in this to pay the bills, not for some empty promise." Mini, or Bruce, spat. You see, that kind of bothers me. I don't want to fight a man who is only in it to make a living. I can sympathize with that.  But Nosy...giving him a good punch in the face wouldn't exactly depress me.

"You suck." Nosy whined.  Their voices are getting louder. They must be getting closer...hold your breath. Don't move. Stay silent. Am I ever going to catch a break? I am still injured and weaponless up against a trio of foes far more prepared for a fight than I am. Just once I would like to be the one who is more prepared or skilled in the fight.

Wait a second. Another pair of lights just came on.  A pair far brighter than ordinary headlights. What the hell is it?

"What? I don't recall calling for backup. Who's coming here?" Barry asked.

"Me neither...I thought we were the only ones called to this location. More is better, I guess." Bruce said.

"Wait...I think I can see it in the air there. It...looks like some kind of helicopter. Not any type that I have seen though." Barry said. A helicopter? Could it be...? A spark of hope?

"...I don't think that's one of ours." Nosy said with a hint of fear in his voice. A dull drumming sound began. Oh no...

"Get down!" Bruce shouted. Large bullets ripped through the glass panes, tearing them apart like tissue paper. One of two things has happened. Either a third party has entered to kill us all, or Sunai has come to my aid. I must stay behind cover in order to survive. Although these shelves won't hold for long.

"Who the hell is attacking us?" Barry said frantically as the gunfire continued. A massive crash ensued as one of the shelves to my left toppled over from structural damage. None of his companions replied either due to fear or focus. Or they could be dead too.

One of the troops dashed over around the corner of the shelf and directly into my line of sight. Uh oh...how am I going to get out of this one. He made eye contact with me and looked stunned for a moment.

"Gentleman." I said blankly and put my hands up in the air. He rose his rifle at first, but then he looked back towards the helicopter in fear and lowered his weapon. He knelt down behind the shelf cradling the rifle in his hands.

"I can't believe this. How did you call for help without us knowing!?" He said. It was Bruce's voice. I shrugged. This wasn't exactly my idea, pal. Though you don't need to know that.

"We're gonna die!" Nosy wailed from a few shelves in front of us. The machine gunfire stopped and there was a moment of silence.

"They're landing!" Barry said. This is either a death sentence, or something that is about to save my life. I am praying for the latter.

"Then let's get the hell out of here! This isn't worth dying for." Bruce said, and then looked at me. "Next time." He threatened me coldly. You wish.  He dashed away from the shelf and made a break for it. The drumming sound of their rifles firing began. Gah, I really need be quicker about covering my ears. I need to take a look at who exactly arrived. I need to know if I am about to die or be rescued. I poked my head around the shelf.

"Oh, thank god..." I said. There were three troops of a different faction dressed in complete white combat suits armed with a variety of guns. The very same suits that Peter, Nigel, and Marshall showed up at my apartment wearing...and also these guys have helmets. Although, one at the front is wearing more curved armor with a more decorated helmet. A Sergeant or Officer perhaps? To make it more clear upon who they are, the 'helicopter' they arrived in is another Descartes. Yep, Sunai has to come to save me! Finally, I am getting the break I need.

The three Sunai troopers opened fire upon the fleeing thugs as they dove into their armored car. One of the enemy soldiers gave a pained screech. He must have been shot. The car pulled out of the gas station at unsafe speeds in order to get away. What a bunch of cowards.

I slowly stepped out of cover to meet the three troopers. I hope they know who I am, as unlikely as that is. The one in the curved armor waved enthusiastically back at me. That immediately means that is not Marshall, but one of the other two more excitable soldiers. I suppose it could also possibly be O'Reily...but I don't really expect him to do that kind of thing either.

The soldier lifted off their helmet to reveal a head full of curly brown hair. It was Peter! I wonder why his armor is different from the other three. I waved back at him, and smiled at him. I really am glad to see him. Especially after all of this...I guess I could actually really enjoy working with him.

"Nathan! I thought those knuckleheads might be after you. I came to rescue you! For free!" He added with a bright smile on his young face. I smiled back and walked over to greet him. He looked me up and down for a moment. "You look like you have a hard couple of nights..."

"Understatement of the year. I owe you a big one. Pretty sure I might be dead if it weren't for you, Peter."  I said.

"You are welcome buddy. How about you repay me by tagging along on another ride in the Descartes?"  He said.

"I hope you added some seat padding." I said. "I presume the other two are Marshall and Nigel?"

"Nope! They are back at H-base. Which is where you and I are going. These two are Smith and Hilson." I nodded to the two gentlemen, and they nodded in return. They seem alright I guess.

"Where is H-base? What's going on exactly?" I said.

"Oh! Right, you don't know. It's in the UAE, they like us there. We also had a couple busy nights ourselves while you were gone...I'll spare the details for now until we get to the base. What you gotta know man, is that there is a war coming. We found another Jiwa, but The Serpent is trying to get his hands on it...we figured you would like to help us stop him?"

And there it was. Another chance to return to my old life. But this time, I have already made my decision. It is my duty to bring justice and make up for my failures. Anders said it himself. A war is coming, and my greatest enemy could very well be at the head of it all. I cannot stand idle while he does so.

"How could I say no?" I said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

404 43 15
🌙"Jay, Jay dont leave me"🌙 Jay, a boy who fell into the sea and drifted away from his hometown of Olegan finds himself lost on an island with an un...
2.5K 220 27
When an army of supernatural demons from hell take away everything Nathan loves, he travels a spiralling pathway of death and punishment, becoming so...
29 1 11
This is a revamp of the original story as it was buggy for some odd reason. Nathan Blake was a leader of a criminal organization that raided, stole...
808 156 19
[Book 1 - The Magical Islands Of Da] Cole Newman had never once considered a life of adventure or risk, he always stuck to what he knew. From looking...