The Heart Can See (Completed)

By random_insight

They say the Heart has Reasons of which Reasons know nothing of. They also say we try to hide our feelings b... More

Prologue
Day 1 - Sunday Before Monday
Day 2 - The Newsroom
Day 3 - News Anchor
Day 4 - Coffee and Copy
Day 5 - Ano'ng Balita?
Day 6 - Who You?
Day 7 - Negotiations
Day 8 - Easy on a Sunday
Day 9 - What's the Score?
Day 10 - Breaking News
Day 11 - It Had To Be You
Day 12 - 15 Minutes of Fame
Day 13 - Déjà vu
Day 14 - Who Are You?
Day 15 - Transistor Radio
Day 16 - Manic Monday
Day 17 - The Good Heart
Day 18 - Avoidance Dance
Day 19 - Dead Air
Day 20 - Eye of the Typhoon
Day 21 - Reprieve
Day 21b - Got My Eyes Set On You
Day 22 - To The Rescue
Day 23 - Freeze Frame
Day 24 - Missing Your Heart
Day 25 - Cross Talk
Day 25b - On Cue
Day 26 - Back in the Saddle
Day 26b - Can't Take My Eyes Off You
Day 27 - The Heart Has Reasons
Day 27b - ...Of Reasons Know Nothing Of
Day 28 - I Love You Sabado
Day 28b - #THCSAngPaghaharap
Day 29 - #THCSDayOff
Day 30 - Lead Story
Day 31 - Late News, Late Dinner
Day 31b - News break: First Date
Day 32 - Ginalingan
Day 33 - Bawal ang Sad Today
Day 33b - Eyes Wide Open
Day 34 - Happy News
Day 35 - Good Morning, Sunshine!
Day 35b - Challenge Accepted
Day 36 - Never On A Sunday
Day 36b ...Cause That's My Day of Rest
Day 37 - Investigative Reporting 101
Day 38 - Can You Read My Mind?
Day 39 - Mata sa Mata
Day 40 - In A Heartbeat
Day 41 - Smile
Day 42b - Blink of an Eye
Day 43 - Somewhere Out There
Day 43b - The Heart of the Matter
Day 44 - Ten Years Mark the Time
Day 45 - Focus, Focus
Day 46 - Points of View
Day 47 - Tip of the Iceberg
Day 48 - News Flash
Day 48b - News Item
Day 49 - News Archive
Day 50 -Now I See the Light
Day 51 - One Plus One Equals Two
Day 51b - Solve for X
Day 52 - Race Against Time
Day 53 - In the Nick of Time
Day 54 - Case Closed
Day 55 - Blind Proof
Day 55b - Pamanhikan 2.0
Day 56 - Family
Day 56b - Jealous Guy
Day 57 - Looking through the Eyes of Love
Day 57b - Wedding Night
Day 58 - Closures
Day 59 - Seeing Eye to Eye
Day 60 - The Heart Can See
Epilogue

Day 42 - On the Road

6.4K 603 124
By random_insight

They left at around 2AM for the 6-8hr trip to Baler, Aurora, a province northeast of Metro Manila. Just the two of them. No Ate Ann and Inspector Ryan, not even Kuya Pekto.

A/N: Si Dona Aurora po ay asawa ni Manuel L. Quezon kaya magkatabi ang probinsiya nila. Wala lang.

And RJ cannot hide his smile as he starts the engine, this despite his apprehension of what they'll find when they reach their destination.

Maine glanced at him while she settled in her seat at the passenger side, complete with a throw pillow. "Yung ngiti mo Tisoy, abot hanggang Mars. Umamin ka, planado mo talaga 'to. Gusto mo ko talaga masolo."

"Masama ba? Ang bait talaga ni Ate Ann, no?"

There's only a handful of vehicles as they join the main road en route to the North expressway.

"Nagkataon lang na may mga appointments sa pasyente yon, pero naaamoy ko na ang pagsunod niya or nila, I cannot count out Inspector, pag hindi tayo nakauwi agad. Hindi mo ba narinig lahat ng bilin? Eto o, nagsend pa ng message. Tawag agad pagdating. Huwag papatayin at isa-silent ang phone, baon ng charger, achuchu at achuchu pa. Ate na, nanay at tatay pa, sa'n ka pa, sakay na!"

"Natural lang yon, boyfriend mo ang kasama mo. You're not alone. There's a twin message in my phone, not just from your sister but from my mom as well. Hindi rin ako magtataka kung pababalikin nila si Kuya Pekto galing sa probinsiya para sundan tayo."

"But what do you really have in mind? Why go after your former cardiologist?"

"Just think mahal. According to my medical records, I had a cardiac arrest around this time 10 years ago, which caused me to be brought the ICU. Kinulit lang ni Daddy si Dra. Daisy, even saying money is not a problem. Then boom, I have a heart a few days later? How was she able to find a donor that soon when we've been waiting for months. Then she has the same surname as Dr. Alvin? Who wouldn't be suspicious?"

"But why the secrecy of this trip? Puwede naman tayong magpunta on Monday and file it as an official investigation activity? Bakit ayaw nating ipaalam?"

"Because this is just a wild guess on my part. The fewer people who knows, the better. Puwedeng false lead, puwedeng nagkataon lang na pareho sila ng surname. But whatever it is, mabuti nang wala masyado makaalam. I'm still apprehensive on the result of the investigation on Dr. Alvin's death. If there's really foul play, then we need to be extra careful. We are one of the last people that he talked to before his accident."

"Tama ka. At siguradong they will find out that we were near the NBI office on the day of the accident. So you mean we might be invited for questioning or something?"

"If they're smart, they will."

"Teka, maiba ko mahal. Ikaw ba ay may clearance sa doktor mo for this long drive? Dalawa lang tayo, hindi kita kayang buhatin. Sinasabi ko sa 'yo, iiwan kita."

He took his hand from the wheel to put it across when it was a throw pillow and her her leg that met his hand. He grinned. How smart this girl is. So that's what the throw pillow is for. "Marunong ka naman ng CPR at mouth to mouth resuscitation, diba? You've done it before; you can do it again."

"If I know, ibang mouth to mouth resuscitation ang gusto mo."

"A girl after my own heart. According to my doctor, I just need to avoid sustaining wounds because I'm very prone to infection. And I wouldn't be surprised if my mom did not send you the schedule of my meds. Did she?"

Maine retrieves a message and showed it to him. "Complete with dosage and time. How about your stress level?"

"I just successfully completed my series stress tests, thank you very much. Ready for light to medium physical activities. Ano bang klaseng streneous activity ba ang nasa isip mo?" He saw her fierce look when he glanced at her. "I mean, hindi naman siguro tayo magwawall climbing and other extreme activities, the worse is lakad lang siguro. Bakit kasi ang tapang ng tingin mo? May sinabi ba kong ayaw mo? Madali naman akong kausap."

"Umayos ka! Wala pa tayo sa expressway, puwede pa tayong bumalik."

He removed his hand from the throw pillow and raised it to make a promise. "Pangako mahal, we're not going to do anything you're not comfortable with. I just want to be close to you. Building memories remember? Smile na, please?"

"Joke lang! Ito naman, may tiwala po ako sa 'yo. Pero sa ngayon, inaantok pa ko. Can I take a nap? Promise, saglit lang. Then I'll be the perfect navigator. Will you be fine? Para puwede rin kitang palitan sa pagda-drive mamaya." She fixed the throw pillow on the window and leaned against it.

"Sure, I'll just pull over on a gas station somewhere pag inaantok din ako. Ayun naman pala ang gamit ng throw pillow."

"That and to ward off wandering hands." But she took his hand and intertwine her fingers with his as she settled to sleep.

RJ brought it to his lips for a quick kiss. "Dream of me."

A/N: Dream of me, dream of me fondly when you say goodbye.... promise me... okay enough. Tulog na Menggay

----------------

Maine woke up and tried to make sense of where they are. She can only see darkness except for their headlight and headlights of one or two vehicles behind them. No streetlights, not even lights from the houses they are passing by. Only stark darkness.

She tried to adjust her eyes to the darkness around them. "Nasaan na tayo?"

"We're just passing through the last towns of Nueva Ecija and will enter the province of Aurora in a few kilometers. Medyo magubat lang 'tong dinadaanan natin. I'm sure this is a scenic route during daytime. Don't worry, it will be dawn soon. Another sunrise for our memory book."

"Jusko, ang dilim! Hindi ba tayo ma-salvage dito? Hindi ka pa pagod mahal or inaantok? Bakit hindi mo ko ginising? Gusto mo ako naman ang mag-drive?"

He smiles at the concern in her voice. "Delikadong huminto dito, mahal. Buti nga may kasabay tayo kahit paisa-isang sasakyan. Okay pa naman ako. Baka may makakain ka diyan. Then, kuwentuhan mo na lang ako. Nakailang ulit na 'tong music na dala ko."

She rummaged through her bag for chips, unsalted of course. She opens it and feeds him. "Anong gusto mong kuwento? Nakakatakot, nakakainis, nakaka-inspire, o nakakatawa?"

"Any kuwentong Menggay will do. Talk to me about your childhood and your mother."

And talked she did, but instead of the difficulties, what RJ sensed from her stories are not the hardships that she and her mother experienced when she was still blind. It was how happy they are despite their handicap. Funny stories from her mother about their neighbors.

She also talked about how she adjusted when she regained her sight, how she made up for the lost time in her studies, working doubly hard in study home programs, and taking equivalency test for her high school diploma so she can get to college in time.

God, how he loves this woman!

He'll never get tired of hearing her voice and her stories. He'll never get tired of her. Period. And all is right in the world now that they are together. He can only pray that he'll be given more time to spend with her.

"Huy, nakikinig ka pa ba? Kilala mo na ba lahat ng kaklase ko at mga kapitbahay? Malapit na 'ko sa part na dadating ka na para sa career talk mo at yung first impression ko sa 'yo nung una kitang makita."

"This I got to hear. Carry on. Baka sakaling aminin mo, na crush mo talaga ko."

The car that has been behind them soon overtook them when the light started breaking over the horizon. It will be sunrise soon. Nabagalan na siguro sa kanila.

-------------

"Now we need to find somewhere to stay." RJ remarked as they finished their breakfast in one of the eateries at the beachfront with the Pacific Ocean in full view.

"Stay? Diba balikan lang tayo?"

"Mahal, maawa ka sa boyfriend mo. Ikaw may tulog, ako wala. I just need a few hours of sleep before we start our search. Hindi ako puwede dito sa kotse."

"Fine! Excuses, excuses. Wait... may titingnan lang ako."

"Ano yan?"

"May nagcomment kasi sa post ko, taga-rito daw siya sa Baler. Puwede daw tayo tumuloy sa bahay nila." She raised her eyes testing his reaction. "O joke lang, bakit naman ako magpopost, secret nga diba? I'm just looking at the ratings of this line of hotels."

"Any preference?"

She put her hands on her hips. "For as long as separate rooms, it should be fine."

RJ raised both his hands. "Okay, no questions. Makatulog lang talaga ko even for two hours, I'll be fine again."

A/N: Talaga ba, separate rooms? Separate lives. Baka naman labas sa ilong yan?

----------------

"Mahal, pang-apat na hotel na 'to. Ito na rin ang pinakamahal. Siguro naman, may available roomssss na, as in plural."

They slowly walk to the reception, dreading another negative response.

"Sorry sir, madam, weekend po ngayon at marami pong surfers na nagbook. Isa na lang po available room namin. Saktong-sakto lang po talaga ang dating n'yo. May nagcancel po, fully booked po kami talaga kanina."

Maine put her hands on the counter in disbelief. "Alam mo miss, napanood ko na 'to eh. Hindi ko lang alam kung ano'ng movie o teleserye. Pero napanood ko na 'to. Susunod na sasabihin mo, walang room na may twin beds."

RJ put his arm on her shoulder, sensing her growing frustration. "Miss, siguro naman yung available na room ay twin sharing."

"Ay hindi rin po pang-kambal, tama po si madam, iisa lang po ang kama, king-size naman po at may receiving area. Pang-pamilya po kasi. Bagay na bagay sa inyo ni Misis."

RJ looks at Maine. "We're not husband and wife. Not yet."

"Tingnan mo mahal, susunod n'yang sasabihin bibigyan tayo ng discount. 10 percent with complimentary shirts from the hotel."

"Madam, wala sanang discount at t-shirts pero dahil ang cute n'yong tingnan, sige 10% discount plus t-shirts. Madali naman po akong kausap. At ang galing n'yo po manghula."

"Narinig mo mahal, tinawag akong madam. Hindi mo ba narinig miss, hindi kami mag-asawa. Hindi pa. Tara na, mahal. To the next hotel."

"Mahal, hindi ka ba naaawa sa mga mata ko? Nagrereklamo na o. Malapit nang bumigay o. Pinapakiusapan ko na lang sila na huwag munang pumikit."

"Style mo talaga Tisoy! Sino ba kasing maysabing alas-dos ng umaga tayo umalis tapos matutulog din muna pala tayo pagdating." But she cannot resist that 5-year old pout. "Sige miss, kukunin na namin. Pero siya magbabayad. Parequest po ng mdaming extrang unan."

She did not see RJ smirked and winked at the receptionist.

A/N: Oo na! Gets ko po ang sasabihin n'yo hehe. Hindi nagets nung receptionist ang wink niya, dahil hindi siya marunong magwink.

-------------

After changing into more comfortable clothes, they stare at the bed and the couch at the small receiving area of the room. "Okay, who will take the couch? Hindi natin gagayahin yung napanood ko."

RJ sat on the bed which looks so inviting. "Magkaiba siguro tayo ng napanood. Sa napanood ko kasi, sa iisang kama lang sila nahiga. Try it mahal. Hindi naman ako malikot matulog."

Maine walks over the window overlooking the ocean and gathered her courage to voice out her opposition. "Alam mo Tisoy, ito na nga ba sinasabi ng ate ko. Paano na ang aking puri? Ano na lang ang sasabihin ng iba? Baka gawan na naman nila tayo ng bagong scoreboard? Pa'no kung pilitin ka ng ate ko na pakasalan ako kahit hindi pa tayo handa? Paano kung tumutol ang mga magulang mo at paghiwalayin tayo? Paano kung ipadala ka sa Amerika? Hindi ko yata makakaya. My heart will break. I will not be able to move on....."

She paused, waiting for his answer. "Wala ka bang sasabihin? Tatahimik ka na lang ba?"

She turned around and found him sprawled on the bed, softly snoring.

"Sabi na nga, inaantok ka na talaga e."

She sat on the bed beside him and watched him sleep.

"Kung hindi lang talaga ang guwapo mo. Alam mo, puwede nang unan 'tong biceps mo na parating nakatago sa suits mo."

She hesitantly touched one of his biceps. "Paisa lang. Alam mo ito lang, ulam este, unan na!"

Realizing what she's doing, she turned on the TV and surfed through the different channels, then innocently lie on the bed.

"Pahiga lang saglit ha? Promise lilipat ako sa couch mamaya. Never let it be said that I'm not a gentlewoman. I will not take advantage.... Hindi talaga."

.

.

.

.

Two hours later...happy together (A/N: DTBY, borrow po ha?)

A/N: At ginawa ngang unan.

Guys, you know the drill, update later to complete our day.

Ano ang gagawin nila pag nagising sila?

Matagpuan kaya nila ang nagtatagong si Doktora?

Abangan, hindi kaya siya kasama sa cast ng Daisyete dati? (Ok waley, last ko na po)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 26 1
Rocky Veil Menian story.
128K 11.9K 64
The love story of VictoRi continues. This time let's see how these executives will Set-Up Daniel Monteiro and Allona Mendez for them to realize that...
16.7K 491 39
Avi is an appreciative woman in a way that she's contented in everything she has in her life. She rarely wishes about things that a typical woman wou...
15.8K 869 21
Yndrah Alaianth Xanther- a respected professor and successful doctor in medicine. Known for her sharp mind and distant manner. Her cold demeanor echo...