Verisimilitude

By mutedmelodyx

Verisimilitude: the appearance of being true or real. What if Robin didn't die in the explosion of the mother... More

The Invasion
Rewind
Therapy Sessions
Flashbacks
Secrets
Division - Part 1
Division - Part 2
Accepting Leadership
The Almost Fatal Mistake
The Aftermath
Confusion and Connections
First Day Back
Secrets - Part 2
Memories
Circus - Part 1
Circus - Part 2

Secrets - Part 1

967 71 1
By mutedmelodyx

He twirled the pencil in his hands as he read the directions on his homework. He glanced at the time out of the corner of his eye. 4:49 AM. Been up for an hour. He had gone on patrol with Batman last night, which had ended around 2:30 AM. He caught an hour of restless sleep before he gave up altogether. He had opted to catch up on his school work as opposed to letting the memories and what-ifs torment him. It was Sunday, so he didn't have to worry about going to school later that day, but he still has a lot of make up work from being absent.

As he scribbled down an answer his phone let out a soft beep. He glanced at it. -Do you want to watch the hockey game later today?- Bruce had texted him. They never said anything that could compromise their identities over texting or any other unprotected source. What his mentor meant was if he was up for a mission; any sport was code for their vigilante lifestyle, and since they had already patrolled the quiet city (well, quiet for Gotham, which would have been busy in any other city, besides Blüdhaven) he knew his mentor mean the Team.

He hesitated. Did he want to go on a mission so soon after Bialya? Did he want to go on a mission at all? He tapped the pencil on his desk several times before dropping it and picking up his phone.

-Sounds great. When does it start?- When should I go to the Cave?

-At ten. It's Gotham vs Star.- Ten minutes, Green Arrow is assigning the mission. He knew Bruce was busy doing 'League stuff'. Before, he would have tried to get his mentor tell him the specifics, but now it didn't matter. He had worked with the League for decades - he doubted anything was so unbelievable at this point that it was worth bugging Bruce to know.

-Okay.- He briefly wondered if the physically older man was surprised that he remembered their code. He had used it with the others in the simulation, but Bruce didn't know that. Bruce knew next to nothing about the simulation, for Dinah kept everything about their sessions private. That was the only way he would open up to her, she knew.

Dinah doesn't even know the whole story. She simply knew of him moving on to becoming Nightwing, teaming up with Batgirl who was a friend from his civilian life to protect Gotham, and a new Justice League and Team forming. He never delved into his personal life or got too specific. That still hurt too much, and she never pushed him. She knew he needed time. She would, however, prompt him. Since, of course, it was important for him to face what had happened.

He put away his schoolwork and silently descended to the Batcave, where he changed into his Robin costume. It was still slightly foreign to him - the cape (which he was adjusting to), and the different organization of the utility belt. The physical design of the Nightwing costume had been different as well, with less chinks in the kevlar (for body armor had improved) and the fabric being thinner (again, an improvement in body armor).

Even the mask was different, with his Robin one not going down his nose as much and not ending in two points on each end like the wings of a bird as his Nightwing mask had.

Nevertheless, he slipped on the uniform and zeta-ed to the Cave. Another difference - the computer still read out 'Robin' instead of Nightwing, something that always caught him off guard. Once, he even involuntarily cast a glance to his left to see if Damian was there.

Now, though, he knew he was alone.

The others were there, minus Artemis and Wally. Green Arrow had yet to arrive as well. He briefly wondered where they were, but shrugged it off. If they were going to come, then they would come. Artemis would most likely be arriving with her 'uncle', and Wally was always late.

"Greetings, my friend." Kaldur dipped his head slightly to greet him.

"Hey," He said back, trying on a casual smile that younger him usually wore. He was glad his eyes were hidden behind his domino mask, as he could just tell that the smile didn't reach his eyes.

M'gann opened her mouth to say something, but the computer cut her off.

"Recognized: Green Arrow, 08. Red Arrow, B06."

"Roy!" He said, surprised. That was one thing that wasn't part of the façade he had been working so hard to keep up. He moved forward with the others to greet the two heroes, but then he paused when he saw his friend.

It was like a slap in the face.

I should stop expecting things to be the same.

I'm only going to be disappointed.

He hadn't been thinking and had expected to see Arsenal there instead of Red Arrow. He had momentarily forgotten that this wasn't the Roy who saved his life, and found him after the mothership exploded. This wasn't Lian's father. This Roy wasn't a member of the Justice League.

This Roy was eighteen years old.

His heart begin to beat faster, but he struggled to stay calm. He forced himself to follow the others, while trying to suppress the memories that were fighting their way to the surface.

Calm down. I have to calm down.

"Hey 'Wing." He turned to see Arsenal there, smiling at him.

"Arsenal." He smiled back as they exchanged a simple handshake. "What are you doing here?" He asked his old friend, before glancing back over to where Jason was talking with La'gaan.

"I volunteered to assign missions to the new Team." He said, following his gaze to watch the two boys before looking back at him. "But you knew that, didn't you? I know they asked you first."

He paused, before nodding. "They thought I had the best experience."

They were both quiet for a few moments as he mulled over the past. It was too easy to replace in his mind Jason with Wally and La'gaan with Kaldur. It was so easy to pretend his friends were alive.

"When I first heard that you refused to join the new League, I wasn't surprised." Roy said. "I understood that you weren't ready to work with others so soon after...what happened. It felt like you were replacing them. But now, you have a new team. Nightwing, Batgirl, and Robin - 'The Guardians of Gotham'. And I think...I think that the old Team would be happy that you're still working with others."

"Do you think...I did the right thing when I chose not to become Batman?" He asked the archer.

He tried to force himself to snap out of the memory.

It didn't work.

"Honestly, I still wonder if I did the right thing by not becoming Green Arrow. But I guess we both made that choice, and we'll see where it takes us." Roy shrugged. "Besides, it's not as if I abandoned Star, or that you abandoned Gotham, right?"

He was silent for a moment, mulling over Roy's words, before saying, "Thanks, Roy."

"It was no problem, Dick."

Oh, he was really tempted to swear right now.

And, using every ounce of self-control he had, he forced himself to fake a smile as he greeted Roy with the rest of the Team. He felt almost nauseous, and his heart was beating so fast that he could have sworn Superboy gave him a weird look. He wasn't completely sure, as most of his focus was not breaking down in front of everyone.

"Recognized: Artemis, B07."

"Artemis. Just in time." Green Arrow turned to face his current protègè. "Look who's agreed to join the Team."

He could easily read the already annoyed look that had been on her face the moment she materialized, and now she looked even more annoyed. "Sure. Team's needed a real archer."

What is she upset about?

The mystery behind Artemis' mood helped to distract him from his near mental breakdown, and he watched as she walked with frustration seemingly growing with every step.

Green Arrow was either ignorant, or was ignoring her words. "Okay, Team, listen up." He began to type on the (primitive) holographic keyboard, bringing up the mission information. "The Flash and Kid Flash are busy in Central, and Batman is working a League case so I'll be assigning your mission."

If he already hadn't been watching her, he would have missed the way her eyes widened and her stance became rigid as her father and sister appeared on the holographic computer. "Sportsmaster was spotted coming through Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport." Green Arrow continued, bringing up the security footage.

"In full costume? Nervy." Zatanna remarked.

"In street clothes." Green Arrow corrected her, playing the footage. "Facial recognition software picked up on his I.D."

It was a fake one, with an alias probably. He's not stupid enough to actually use his real name.

"Find out what he's up to." Green Arrow finished.

" All of us?" Conner asked, skeptical. He couldn't blame the Kryptonian - there were far too many of them there for such a mission. "Seems like overkill for a Shadow job."

"Perhaps a small squad. Miss Martian's camouflage abilities, as well as Robin's stealth seem ideal." Red Tornado offered.

"Thought the sidekicks - sorry, ex -sidekicks - could suit up on this." Green Arrow told them. "Aqualad, Robin, Red Arrow."

Well now I know Dinah really did keep what we talked about confidential, and that you haven't discussed this with her if you even know, since she would never let me go on a mission with Roy after everything I've told her. Not at least without talking with me first.

...But that's okay. I can handle this.

"Good. Stakeouts make me crazy." Conner remarked.

"We could use a night off." M'gann agreed.

"I want in. With M'gann out, no one has logged more hours piloting the bioship." Artemis cut in.

I used to be second...

...before, well, everything.

"Artemis, are you sure?" Green Arrow asked, surprised that she was choosing to go on a mission that would pit her against her father and sister.

"Absolutely." She said, with no hesitation and her tone left no room to argue.

Well, this is going to be interesting, to say the least.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

195K 5.2K 19
This is a Robin x Reader fanfiction for all you Young Justice fans out there. Hope y'all like it! :) You saw them standing there. The Team. (I don'...
5.9K 147 9
Maybe Robin has had enough of the way he has been treated. What if the way his team treated him was taken more seriously. How would he handle this?
10.6K 998 40
BatFam x OC Sequel to System Malfunction (If you haven't read it yet I'd recommend reading it before you start this book). Jocelyn had her whole life...
105K 3.7K 20
"Tayir...", the thing brought out... shocked?... before lunging forward attacking their target: Robin. Instead of the team's usual expectation Robin...