The Lady Knight

By SLGrey2904

As the first Lady Knight of Monrique, Juliette Van Helsing regularly deals with criminals who threaten the pe... More

Prologue: A Beginning
Chapter I: Missions and Murders
Chapter II: Arrivals and Adversaries
Chapter III: Suspicions and Surprises
Chapter IV: Break-ins and Balls
Chapter V: Follies and Faults
Chapter VI: Swords and Scares
Chapter VII: Potentials and Puzzles
Chapter VIII: Pasts and Plans
Chapter IX: Waits and Worries
Chapter X: Thoughts and Truces
Chapter XI: Meetings and Menaces
Chapter XII: Mails and Misses
Chapter XIII: Visits And Vents
Chapter XIV - Beliefs and Bonfires
Chapter XV: Impossibilities and Insanities
Chapter XVI: Excitements and Exaggerations
Chapter XVII - Distresses And Desolations
Chapter XVIII: Nights and Nirvanas
Chapter XIX: Pranks and Paybacks
Chapter XX: Codes and Comprehensions
Chapter XXI: Confusions and Congratulations
Chapter XXII: Pursuits and Prowls
Chapter XXIII: Rescues and Revelations
Chapter XXIV: Friendships and FiancΓ©es
Chapter XXV: Fights and Falsities
Chapter XXVI: Feelings and Frustrations
Chapter XXVII: Impressions And Intoxications
Chapter XXVIII: Chambers and Cares
Chapter XXIX: Cousins and Costs
Chapter XXX: Dances and Dames
Chapter XXXI: Waltzes and Wishes
Chapter XXXII: Hands and Hesitations
Chapter XXXIII: Ices and Images
Chapter XXXIV: Fears and Forebodings
Chapter XXXV: Truths and Tears
Chapter XXXVI: Pianofortes and Presents
Chapter XXXVII: Songs and Sketches
Chapter XXXIX: Birthdays and Bashes
Chapter XL: Suns and Sieges
Chapter XLI: Instabilities and Injuries
Chapter XLII: Conflicts and Confrontations
Chapter XLIII: Doubts and Decisions
Chapter XLIV: Homes and Hollows
Chapter XLV: Confessions and Conclusions
Epilogue: Another Beginning
Bonus Chapter: To My Love

Chapter XXXVIII: Babies and Baby-showers

66.2K 3.1K 647
By SLGrey2904

Master Diego

"There, my love," Master stood on the balcony, crossing his arms over his stomach, "all is done. All is ready."

His eyes swept across the impregnable Fort that he held in his power, and over its occupants, who were fully trained at long last, and ready for the revenge they were destined to carry out.

The plans were set. The time was ripe.

Mistress looked up at him with undisguised love shining in her eyes. "I knew you could do it, sweetheart," she whispered jubilantly, "I knew you would do anything for me. Thank you."

He shook his head, putting an arm around her shoulders. "Nonsense," he sighed, "you have suffered long and hard for years. You have lived a terrible life you did not deserve. However, all that is about to change within a few days." A determined look entered his eyes, as he held her tighter against him, recalling the years of hardship they had gone through together.

All for this moment.

Her eyes, tired and aged beyond her years, filled with unshed tears. "I love you," she mumbled into his shirt.

She hated it that she had to utter these beautiful words only in secret. After next week, however, no more. They would never have to live in their trapped lives ever again. They would never have to live apart from each other, or hide their love ever again, regardless of what anyone else thought of it.

She knew it was wrong to love him. That it was wrong to have betrayed those around her like this. For the life of her, however, she could not care. She felt like a teenager once more, wildly and happily in love in the arms of her secret amour, her beloved. This time, though, she was in love with a man who would treat her the way she should be treated. Who would give her, and her only, his full attention and love for all eternity.

Not like the fool she had to contend with before him.

At the end of the next seven days or so, she and her beloved would attain greater power than they already possessed. Their story of strength, resilience and love would be the greatest ever told.

He tilted her head up to kiss her now, long, deep and hard. She slipped her arms around his neck, weaving his soft, slightly graying locks through her fingers, feeling hot, scorching desire rise within her as his hands slid down her form slowly, deliberately. It surprised her how he could evoke such a strong response in her even after all these years.

"I love you too," he smiled widely against her lips to catch his breath, "and soon enough, the whole world shall know it. The whole world will be ours. The time is ripe."

Indeed it was.

***

The Lady Knight

"You look like you are attending your own funeral, Your Royal Highness," Captain Percival observed Nick in amusement, as we approached Anchorvale at a steady canter.

"I might as well," Nick muttered, looking on at the skyline of Anchorvale, "another duchy, another group of Potentials, another Potential Quest Ball. One does wonder how I have gone through this same routine nine times already, and still managed to live."

The rest of the Captains burst out laughing, while I managed a wry smile. "Nine completed, three more to go," I rolled my eyes, speaking to him for the first time in days since we left Roche, "look at the bright side. You are very close to the end. Imagine, there will be no more freezing rides about the country."

"No more handling the annoying Ladies of the Society." His eyes lit up at the prospect.

"No more Balls or social events," Captain Wellington perked up happily.

"No more around-the-clock shifts to protect His Royal Highness with equally irritating Captains," Captain Everard punched Captain Dupont's shoulder lightly.

"No more arguing with Captains with thick skulls." Captain Dupont retorted.

"No more standing around all day without doing anything productive." Captain Evans sighed.

"No more stays at noisy, packed inns." Captain Percival grinned.

"No more months away from my wife and my child." Captain Morrison quipped up happily.

"Captains, this is almost insulting," Nick tilted his head at all of us, amused, "would you not miss my charming company after spending so much time together? After all that we have been through together these many weeks!" He clutched at his heart dramatically, pretending to swoon.

The Captains took one look at each other, and broke into peals and peals of guffaws.

"Not a chance, Your Royal Highness," Captain Morrison held his sides.

"After your wedding, we will wash our hands off you, Sire, make no mistake," Captain Dupont promised, chuckling.

"You have been quite a handful, Sire," Captain Percival admitted, smiling, "I am afraid you are on your own after this."

"I am indeed so grateful to have such dedicated and brutally honest Captains," Nick muttered, shaking his head in amusement.

"Worry not, Sire. I think I might know of someone who might miss your supposedly charming company," Captain Everard chuckled, casting me a teasing glance.

More guffaws.

Nick attempted to make his eyes huge and wide with pretend surprise. "Truly? Will you miss me, Julie?" he smirked mischievously.

I merely rolled my eyes at him, before I cut Captain Everard a dangerous look. "You forget Lady Clarisse whom you are so clearly looking to court in the future is my cousin sister," I smiled sweetly, "so....would you like to repeat what you said one more time?"

Panic flitted across his face, and a faint shade of pink tinged his cheeks. "Nay, thank you Ma'am."

"I thought so," I snickered.

"Well, Sire," Captain Everard swiftly changed the subject, avoiding my eyes, "welcome to Anchorvale!"

***

"Good morning, Caroline. 'Tis good to see you again," I smiled at the Lady Caroline of Anchorvale, once her parents had left the receiving hall to escort Nick and the Captains to their chambers.

"'Tis wonderful to see you too, Jules," she grinned, gesturing to her beaming little brother beside her, "will you not say hello to Will? He has been very excited to make your acquaintance these few months, and he is an ardent admirer of knights in general."

I kneeled down to the five-year-old boy's height, looking upon at his huge green eyes which were filled with childish excitement, and held out a hand.

"Hello, Will," I greeted him softly.

"Are you the Lady Knight, Ma'am?" he lisped, solemn.

I gazed up at Caroline, amused. "To my King, the army and the criminals who fear me, aye, I am the Lady Knight," I answered, shrugging, "but to my friends, I am Jules. Are you my friend, Will?"

He glanced at my outstretched hand for a moment, surprised at my offer, before he took it, grinning. "Yes, Jules," he stammered, "I will be your friend. Will you teach me to duel? I heard you defeated Papa once." He queried eagerly.

I laughed at the memory, of the one time I had defeated the Duke of Anchorvale at duelling, much to the latter's discontentment. "But that was a long time ago."

"Sister-mine tells me you are still invincible," he looked up at Caroline with a beam, "I want to learn to duel like you. Then I will also become invincible." He concluded, looking intelligent.

"Mayhap Jules would like to rest before she teaches you anything, darling," Caroline interrupted, amused, "I am certain she is tired from all that riding."

"The Lady Knight is never tired!" Will pumped a fist in the air, "and she never fails to render help to whoever asks her for it. Sister-mine told me." He smiled a toothy grin at me.

I laughed again. By God, I did not know what kind of heroic bed time stories Caroline had told this little one about me, but I did know that I could not bear to disappoint him.

"How about you give me a few minutes, old chap?" I proposed, "I shall freshen up a little and meet you out in the gardens within ten minutes. Is that all right?"

"Jules, you do not have to tire yourself further – "Caroline mumbled, embarrassed, but I cut her off.

"That is quite all right," I smiled, standing up as I ruffled Will's hair, "anything for my new friend, yes?"

Will squared his tiny shoulders and beamed.

***

"Commander General Ma'am!"

I skidded to a stop moments before I reached the stairway, startled. I was about to go down to the gardens to give Will his basic lesson on swordplay, and I was not pleased at the interruption. Controlling my irritation, I turned around to face a man whom I did not recognise.

I decided to call him Nose Ring in my mind, in honour of the gleaming gold nose ring that was pierced in his nose.

"Who are you?" I asked bluntly, not trusting the look of him.

"I work in the kitchens, Ma'am," Nose Ring's coal black eyes seemed to brood down on me, as he held out a small piece of parchment, "and when I went to the market a while back, an unknown man approached me and demanded that I hand this to you without delay."

I was somewhat surprised at his fluency in English. The Staff never spoke formal, proper English, but chose to stick to the Monriquan slang instead.

Once more, I felt my eyes narrow in suspicion, but I still accepted the parchment from him, studying his features and committing them to memory.

Male. About five-foot, ten inches. Stocky build, packed with muscles. Dirty blond hair, black eyes. Pointed beard, curling moustache. Scar reaching down from the right temple. With an ear piercing, and a nose ring.

"Thank you," I nodded curtly, "you may return to your work now."

He executed a short, perfunctory bow, unsmiling, before he walked away. When I was certain he was out of earshot and sight, I opened up the parchment and read the surprisingly elegant script.

My dearest Lady Knight,

I have told you time and time again to stay out of my affairs, but you simply will not listen to me, will you? Whatever you do, whatever you try, I never miss my aim. If I want something, I will do anything to acquire it. In my own time, mayhap, but I will definitely acquire it.

I am well aware of where you have hidden Prince Richard. You thought I would assume he died in the fire, did you? One day, when all your defences are down, I will strike and I will strike hard. I wanted the twin Princes dead from the very beginning, but I have been thwarted for too long by circumstances, your fortune, and my incompetent workers. This time, however, I have entered the battlefield myself. This time, victory will be mine.

Such a tragedy, would it not be, when the remaining sons of the great King Frederick V perish at long last?

I am always watching.

Diego.

Postscript: I find that I have grown quite fond of the mountains that overlook Limoges, Carcassonne. Particularly that faded blue house on its outskirts.

I suddenly felt breathless. Clutching the barrister tightly, I squeezed my eyes shut, as my whole world spun. I was utterly and completely speechless, not due to surprise, but fear.

Plain, cold fear.

How? How had this Diego known exactly where I had hid Richard? How had he known that he survived the fire in Warwick Manor? I had told no one, except for my Captains. Yet, how could he have known? Was he following me?

I am always watching.

A shiver ran down my spine, as I sprinted down the stairs without another thought, towards the kitchen to find Nose Ring and interrogate him about the man who had given him the parchment. Pushing my way through the cooks and maidservants there, I searched for him, but he was nowhere to be found in the hot, steaming room.

"Can we help ye, Ma'am?" one of the servants approached me timidly, as the others looked on at me discreetly while carrying on with their chores.

"I am searching for a man who works among you. He went to the market a while back," I asked her urgently.

Her eyes widened. "Oh, ye mean Fletcher, Ma'am?" she nodded, before she called out, "Fletcher! Ma'am wants te see the likes of ye!"

From the steam that enveloped the kitchens, a short, rotund man with a pot belly waddled towards me, beaming widely. "I am Fletcher, Ma'am," his green eyes twinkled, "how may I serve ye, Ma'am?"

My breath caught. He was not Nose Ring.

"Does anyone with a golden nose ring work in the kitchens, Master Fletcher?" I felt like a fool for asking the question, as the answer came to me, as clear as crystal.

He tilted his head at me, and shook his head. "Nay, Ma'am."

The knave, I screamed in my mind, regardless of whether he was a messenger for Diego, or was the real Diego, he had managed to infiltrate his way into the Manor despite all the security measures in place.

Damn it. Nick and Richard were both in danger, more so now than ever.

***

Prince Nicholas

I glanced at my timepiece, frowning as I strode down the corridors towards Julie's and the Captains' chambers.

Where was everyone? It was almost time for us to leave for Tori's baby shower. Lady Caroline, her brother, Lord and Lady Anchorvale were already waiting for us at the porch beside the carriages.

What was taking them so long?

Only when I reached the stretch of guest bedchambers did I hear the sounds of a heated argument slashing through the usual silence of the corridors.

"Why do you not understand the seriousness of this, Captain Dupont – "Julie's tired, frustrated voice reached my ears first from one of the chambers, and she sounded as if she had repeated her words too many times.

"I am afraid I do not, Ma'am," Captain Dupont spoke next, unusually solemn, "I do not understand why you wish to tighten the security when it is already tight enough. There are only six of us, Ma'am, and our abilities are limited. What would you like us to do? Would you like us to ask the King for more men to guard the Prince? Would you like us to follow the Prince everywhere he goes, without giving him a moment of privacy, without a moment alone? Would you like us to stand guard in his bedchambers all night? Would you like us to suffocate the poor lad with our constant presence in the name of his security? He is already smothered by the attention he receives due to his position. Would you like us to add on to that and drive the boy to insanity?"

I leaned against the wall, and listened, even though I had no right to. Something was gravely amiss, and I intended to find out what it was. For the past few days, Julie had been unusually evasive. I had hardly seen her during mealtimes, she rarely stayed in the Manor during the day, and a pale, drawn pallor always hung over her face. The Captains did not seem to be too happy about it, either.

The journey to Anchorvale was the last time I had seen any of them laugh, relax and smile.

I heard a loud crash of glass being flung against the wall. "Do you think I like doing this, Captain Dupont? By God, I am no sadist, but I do know that I need to keep him alive at any cost!" her voice cracked, "have you the slightest idea of how tired I am of travelling back and forth between Limoges and Anchorvale everyday without telling him, but I have no choice –"

I was puzzled. Why was she travelling between Limoges and Anchorvale everyday?

"Why?" Captain Percival now pressed, a little more calmly, "what is happening, Ma'am? Everything was fine up until we left Roche!"

I held my breath for her to answer.

His quiet voice appeared to calm her, for there was a heavy sigh. "Everything was fine until we left Roche," she mumbled, frustrated, "until I was given this note, mere inches away from the Prince's bedchamber, by an imposter pretending to work in the kitchens."

There was a moment of silence, as the faint, crackling sound of parchment being passed around reached my ears. Even from outside the door, I could feel the heavy, heated tension of the room heighten.

"Ma'am..." Captain Everard trailed off after a long while, solemn.

"Please, Captains. We need to step up security, especially so after this. The infiltrator managed to come up to the bedchambers despite all the guards stationed outside the Manor, despite you all, and despite me," she sounded utterly worn out, "then what is the guarantee that this demon will not attack Nick in his sleep tonight?"

Imposter? Infiltrator? What was she talking of?

Pin drop silence reigned once more.

"All right, Ma'am," Captain Percival spoke up in a calm, gravelly voice, "you have our word. We will be on our highest alert, and we will do our utmost to keep the Prince safe and sound. We always do. You know that."

I crept away.

***

The Lady Knight

"Julie, we have arrived," a deep, gentle voice spoke quietly, sounding rather loud in the silent carriage.

I snapped out of my reverie, and gave Nick beside me a small smile. He had been unusually quiet all journey. However, I had been in no mood to talk as well, not after I had argued so badly with my Captains earlier for the first time in ages.

"I am not accustomed to travelling in a carriage," I admitted, rubbing my neck in embarrassment as I yawned, "I almost fell asleep."

He chuckled, and exited the carriage behind the other Captains. He then waited outside the carriage door for me, and held out a hand. Rolling my eyes at his courtly manners, I placed my other hand in his and allowed him to help me down from the carriage as if I were a true Lady of the Society.

"Thank you, but that was not necessary, Nick," I rolled my eyes, before I reached into the carriage once more to bring out the sack of gifts I had brought along for the baby.

'Tis good manners," he shrugged.

"Well, I do not see you helping the other Captains down from the carriage," I retorted.

He merely chuckled in amusement at that, as he led me towards Derelia Manor, followed closely by the Captains and the Anchorvale family.

A strange foreboding crept up my spine, as we approached the brightly lit Manor. The last time I had come here was to arrest Lucien and find Lucas dead. The last time I had met Tori and Lady Francesca was when they were grieving for both their husbands.

What if they still blamed me for it like Nick did? I suddenly felt apprehensive as the double doors loomed over me.

"Julie?" his voice broke me out of my thoughts.

"Yes?"

He smiled gently down at me, as if he knew what I was thinking. "Worry not," he murmured, "all will be well. It was not your fault. I have been foolish to blame you for it, but I know that Tori is smarter than that. She would have let it go."

"Truly?" my breathing was staggered.

"Truly," he assured me, "and so you know, I have let it go as well." He smiled a little sadly, as he knocked on the door.

"Pardon?" I hardly dared to believe it, wringing my hands while we waited for the door to open.

"Took me a while, but I did. I have. I was inane to hold you responsible in the first place, and I am deeply sorry for it."

Before I could find any words to that, the door swung open to reveal a radiant Lady Francesca, dressed in a rather fetching indigo blue gown, beaming widely at all of us at her doorstep, all the misery and grief from a few months ago wiped out from her face.

"Welcome, all of you! Please, come inside." She ushered us into the receiving hall, talking nineteen to the dozen about how excited she and the Lady Victoria were in having us all here today.

Nick mainly kept the conversation flowing, as usual, while I admired the grandeur of the receiving hall in awed silence.

It was adorned with banners of blue and white, and silver glitter seemed to float slowly down from the ceiling above, shining with the glow from the candles on the chandelier that surveyed the whole room from its position. Blue and white sprigs of silk were also hung at regular intervals around the room, especially so on the huge cradle that stood in the middle of the room.

There were so many people gathered there, but my eyes only met a pair of kind, brown ones behind the elaborately decorated cradle.

Tori.

At that moment, the heralds announced us, and all the guests in the room sunk into deep bows and curtsies in greeting. Nick hesitantly covered my hand on his arm with his own, as if rendering me silent support, as we strode towards the cradle.

Tori's eyebrows raised imperceptibly at the gesture, but her expression betrayed nothing, while I attempted to focus on the warmth of his hand, and met her eyes with as much courage as I could muster up at that moment.

I did not deserve to come here, to meet her after all the grief I have caused her by my folly, yet here I was, right before her and her baby boy.

When we reached the cradle, Lady Francesca took her place beside Tori, while Nick briefly turned to the kneeling guests. At the same time, I nodded at the Captains to spread themselves out around the room discreetly.

"All of you may rise," he beamed around at them, "and please enjoy the festivities." At that, the chattering and the laughing resumed, as everyone returned to their conversations and merry making on this happy occasion.

Almost at once, Nick pulled me to one side, gesturing at the Anchorvale family to speak to Tori first. A tiny crease appeared between her brows in bewilderment, as well as that of Lord Anchorvale's, but their family took it in their stride as they greeted Lady Francesca and Tori, and offered the both of them their congratulations and their gifts for the baby boy.

"Why?" I whispered from the corner of my mouth, smiling all the while.

Nick stared straight ahead, keeping up the charade. "I do not wish to have an audience when we speak to Tori and meet her son. Lucien's son." His voice caught.

I understood.

We watched in silence as the Anchorvale family laughed and exchanged pleasantries with the Derelia women, taking turns to coo at and adore the baby boy in the cradle. When they left at long last, and Lady Francesca with them to dine on the refreshments, Nick and I approached Tori.

She curtsied deeply when she saw us approaching. "Your Royal Highness," she murmured, "my Lady Knight."

Nick hurried to grasp her by her shoulders to stop her. "Dare not stand on ceremony with me," he mumbled, kissing both her cheeks before holding her in a tight embrace, "you have been my friend for a very long time, as long as Lucien has."

Her eyes filled with unshed tears. "I miss him so much today, Nick," her voice wavered as she leaned against his shoulder for a brief moment, "I had sworn that he was no husband of mine when he was arrested and I swore I would not think of him today, but yet, I do. He should have been here today and he is not."

"I am your culprit, Tori," I voiced out quietly.

She glanced at me, and a brittle, but genuine smile graced her trembling lips. "Jules," she murmured, stepping back from his embrace before she walked towards me and drew me to her.

"I told you not to blame yourself, yes?" she continued on softly, "I have forgiven you a long time ago, but that does not mean I have ceased grieving for Lucien. I will always grieve for him. That, however, is no reason for you to torment yourself for the rest of your life."

I lifted my arms to return her hug. "It still haunts my nightmares," I whispered, and hesitated for a small moment before I plunged on in an even quieter tone so that Nick did not hear me, "especially so since I discovered that he was killed merely because he knew too much of his brother's wrong-doings. Your husband is innocent."

Her grip on me tightened. "Do you speak the truth?" she demanded in my ear in a breath.

"I swear on my life, as well as on yours. In a few months, when I acquire all the required evidence, I will bring it to the Court of the Lady Justice and prove your husband's innocence in front of all society. And I will restore your son's inheritance as well."

Until Lucien was proven innocent, the new heir to the earldom of Derelia had no power.

"That is enough for me," she pulled back with a bittersweet smile on her face, "it is enough for me."

She gazed at me, open and sincere, and in my heart, I knew all traces of doubt and grief she might have held for me these few months were all gone now.

Nick looked between us, clearly curious to know what we discussed in that long embrace, but Tori intervened before he could ask us any questions. "I am very, very glad the both of you managed to come to my son's baby shower," her eyes shone as her lips pulled up even further, "thank you so much."

Nick's expression turned gentle. "There is no need to thank us," he replied with a grin, "we would have come even if you had not invited us. Oh, before I forget, we brought with us some gifts for the baby. Our heartiest felicitations on the birth of your son, Tori."

On cue, I held out the sack of gifts I held in my hands, grinning from ear to ear.

Tori accepted it, her eyes widening at the large, bulging bag into which I had crammed all that Nick and I had purchased in the markets that morning – baby clothes, bibs, blankets, and of course, some fruits and sweetmeats.

"You did not need to – "she stammered, but I cut her off.

"'Tis not for you, so you cannot refuse it, my Lady," I teased lightly, "everything in that sack is for your little bundle of joy. What have you named him? I do suppose he has already been christened?"

She chuckled in amusement, tucking the straps of the sack in the crook of her arm. "Aye, his name is Gabriel," she answered softly, "he is Gabriel Havelock."

"May I meet him, Tori?" Nick requested, grinning.

She nodded, smiling, as she gently lifted the sleeping two-month old baby from the cradle, careful not to wake him. She then placed him in Nick's waiting arms as cautiously as she dared.

Nick's whole countenance changed when he looked upon the tiny, peaceful face that peeped out from the blue blankets and furs in which he was held. His eyes softened considerably, as his strong arms held the child without difficulty.

"He is a heavy boy," Victoria remarked to me, "he came a week later than he was due, and Francesca was almost hysterical that something might go wrong. Like what happened to her."

A dark look flashed upon her face as she no doubt recalled the miscarriage of her sister-in-law earlier this year.

A miscarriage that was the courtesy of Diego.

"It was a safe delivery, yes? You are well now?" I shuffled uneasily.

At two and twenty, I was aware of the relations between a man and wife, and the perils of childbirth that followed. Yet, it felt rather awkward to talk about such things in public, but she did not seem to mind very much.

Instead, she smiled at me in amusement, noting my uncomfortable expression. "Aye, I am, thank you."

At that precise moment, Gabriel woke up, and began to wail his very loudest, his chubby arms flailing as they released themselves from the blue blankets that had wrapped them up.

What I found most amusing was that his cries could not be heard much over the ruckus the rest of the guests were making around us with their talks and guffaws. Yet, most of the guests present would swear that there was nothing louder or more irritating than a baby's wails, if I were to ask them.

Tori stepped forward, concerned, but Nick shook his head. "'Tis all right, I will calm him," he offered, smiling.

I rolled my eyes, and I was about to tell him that a baby would not stop crying merely because he said so, when he surprised me yet again.

He began to cradle the baby gently, and if I strained my ears hard enough, I could hear a familiar tune being hummed in his melodious baritone. The baby stopped struggling after a while, his arms falling back to his sides, his grey eyes wide.

Nick continued to sing softly, not noticing the lack of wails as he gazed down at little Gabriel with nothing short of adoration.

Tori was observing this miracle with intrigue. "If he starts crying, he usually does not stop for many hours yet," she tilted her head, "how..." She was at a momentary loss of words.

"Music has a special power above all else," I answered vaguely.

Indeed, I was struck dumb by the fact that I was hearing Mama's lullaby for the second time in the span of a few days, and also by the fact that I seemed to love it even more than I already did when I heard him hum it to the child.

Within a few moments, Gabriel had broken into a gummy grin. He began to gurgle happily, aimlessly pounding Nick's cheeks with his tiny fists in excitement.

A soft smile bloomed on my face. There was truly nothing more beautiful than a baby's smiles and happy gurgles. Nick also broke into a grin at that, as he bent down to press his lips to his forehead.

It felt as if I was watching a rather personal moment, and the very portrait that Nick made with a baby in his arms filled me with a gentle tenderness I had never felt before in all of my two and twenty years.

Someday, he would make an excellent father himself.

"Julie?" Nick called out to me at that moment, breaking me out of my thoughts, "come here and meet him." He beamed at me, his grey eyes shining.

I glanced at Tori fleetingly, asking her for permission. She nodded, grinning, as she gently pushed me towards him. My legs took me hesitantly forwards, almost afraid as I reached his side. Nick held Gabriel slightly lower so that I could see him.

One glance at the chubby, happy baby, and I was done for.

On the other hand, Gabriel was blinking up at me as if I were a strange object, his fascination with pounding Nick forgotten for a moment. I smiled softly down at him, tracing the curve of his smooth, round cheeks with childish awe. I was rewarded by a blinding, toothless grin that disarmed me once more.

"Could...could I hold him for a moment?" I found myself asking, my voice filled with a strange yearning I did not fully comprehend myself.

Nick glanced at me, surprised, before he nodded. I reached out to lift Gabriel with utmost caution, getting used to the warm weight of the baby before lifting him completely out of his arms and into my own.

He did not seem to mind the movement. Comfortably nested in my arms, Gabriel gurgled at me, still grinning widely for all it was worth, as he caught hold of a loose curl that had escaped my side braid. I was surprised at how easily I was already coming to adore him, even though he was not my own.

"He is so small," I breathed, marvelling at his tiny, plump fists, and his even tinier nails on his pudgy fingers as he played with my hair as if it were the most interesting thing in the world, "so fragile."

Despite myself, I bent down to press a gentle kiss to his fists.

That earned me another disarming gummy smile, as he lost interest in my hair and proceeded to busy himself with attempting to lift Mama's locket that rested on the base of my throat, gurgling to himself at every slight movement the locket made at his efforts.

I gently wiped away the drool that was dripping from his mouth using my hanky, chuckling in amusement. "You are going to be quite a handful when you grow up, are you not?" I whispered fondly, cradling him close to me.

It did not deter him from his efforts. I could see Tori's stubbornness in those eyes that were Lucien's own.

"Your Mama spoke true," I continued softly, taking in the light growth of gold on his brows and head, "you do look like your Papa."

I sensed Nick freeze beside me, but my eyes were fixed on the baby in my arms.

"He was a brave one, he was," I murmured, as I felt my eyes become slightly glassy, "and one day, when all of this blows over, you will be proud of him."

In that precise instant, he lost interest in my locket, and grabbed my pinkie finger to fiddle with instead, grinning like there was no tomorrow. My vision blurred a little and I leaned over to kiss his temple, overcome with guilt and grief for depriving this poor innocent child of his father.

Nick did not say anything. Instead, he put an arm around my shoulder and drew me close to him. Almost naturally, I leaned against him as he gently stroked the child's downy head with his other hand.

Together, we stayed like that for a long while, wrapped up in our own world and our own thoughts, all centering that of the baby who was currently gurgling with joy, with no troubles or problems in his mind.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2M 99.9K 37
#5 in Vampire - 7/28/2017 #1 in Love-triangle 6/30/19 In a world where humanity was lost because the superior race of vampires took over the inferior...
121K 2.9K 30
"Remember how wet you were when you decide to start avoiding me again. Remember how you came all over me. Remember how you felt in this exact moment...
2.7K 273 11
Ohm Thitiwat is the detective in charge of investigating the mysterious case of the serial killer who has been ruthlessly killing prostitues across t...
112 4 7
Lynnae receives news which drastically changes the course of her life. She returns home to where the mystery begins. Will she solve the mystery? Or w...