The Legend of Saironelloistya...

By IsaiahLeIstya

This story is an attempt by me to blend Science Fiction and Fantasy, while teaching basic elvish and Dungeons... More

Chapter 1: Introduction and World Building
Chapter 2: My Friends And Saviors
Chapter 3: Before the Council
Chapter 4: My Trials Part 1
Chapter 5: My Trials Part 2
Chapter 6: My Final Trial
Chapter 7: The Case of The Ultimate Trial Of Saironleistya
Chapter 8: The Verdicts of The Council
Intermission 1: Details to Remember
Chapter 9: The Exile
Chapter 10: Horny​I of Bolton's Minotaur
Intermission 2: Excuses and Plans
Chapter 11: Skin of a Skinchanger and The Blade of Osiris
Chapter 11 Part 2 In Which Saironellotoron Actually Does Something Useful
Chapter 12: The Tome of Daedalus, and the Herb of Nennal
Chapter 13: A Dragon's Tooth, and the Hair of Armornie
Chapter 14: Poison of a Living Basilisk and the Scale of a Red Drakon
Chapter 15: The Blood of a Maiden
Chapter 16: The Point of No Return
Chapter 17: Planning, Discussion, and Data
Chapter 18: Wars Are Fought With People...
Chapter 19: ... Both Sides Believing They Are On The Sides Of The Angels.
Chapter 20: Even Now, There Is Hope Left.
Intermission 3: Details, Because I Got Bored
Chapter 21: The Battle of Meneltarma
Chapter 22: Speak Softly...
Chapter 23: The Battle for Quendelie ar Apanónar
Chapter 25: The End of The World As We Know It
Epilogue
Intermission 5: Conclusion, and a Letter to my Readers

Chapter 24: Trials and Tribulations

17 1 0
By IsaiahLeIstya

Five days later, We had arrived back at Meneltarma, with all of the remainder of Nimloth's forces behind us, but there was no praise being sung, nor was there songs being written. The people of Meneltarma had been touched by the war, and though they strove to rebuild their previous lives, it was the young, who in their horror and despair, made it clear that there would be no return.

We led the Soldier's through the street, including the Councillors who had betrayed. Heruevavista, Herievahande, and Nimloth, were all shackled together, and gagged, walking at the front of the column, directly behind The 52 leaders of the Army of Meneltarma,  Aranellevanima​, and I. We rode our horses through the streets, until, I saw a boy carrying a sled filled with rubble. I gestured the rest of the army on, and Aranellevanima and I rode over to him.

I dismounted, and asked, "Toronevameneltarma, do you have some rope?"

He nodded, and letting go the sled, he ran forward, and disappeared around a corner. We waited, and moments later, he ran around the corner with twelve feet of elven rope, which he handed to Aranellevanima,  and she tied it onto the sled, then hitched it through the horses mouth, as a bit. We helped the boy onto the horse, and spent the rest of the day assisting the people of Meneltarma, in cleaning up the mess that we helped create. That we did create.

                                                                                    . . .

We worked all day, and got back to the College of Meneltarma, feeling fatigued, but accomplished, more than I had been feeling about anything in this war. However, My master was less than pleased by the delay caused in the trials of the traitorous councilors. "They must be tried, Saironelloistya, and you are wasting time playing hero to the people of this city. That isn't what they need. They need to know that the perpetrators who cost them the lives of their loved ones, are being held responsible, for their crimes against the state."

I was willing to let it go, and just ignore him and walk away, but Aranellevanima got right up in his face, and said. "So what if he is playing hero to the people, Herulepilin? That is what he is. Saironelloistya is a hero, and you should show him the respect he deserves."

He struck her, and within 3 seconds, I had him on the ground, and I was holding him there saying ,"You will not strike my friends, Herulepilin. I swear now, from this day on, anyone who harms my friends, will perish by my hand, no matter of rank, person, or rights. I swear by all of the Gods, and The Valar, that no one is immune to this vow, not even the councilors of Meneltarma." I let him go, and helped him up, before adding, "Please do not make yourself a part of the opposite faction, mi mellonlyerna" He nodded, and adjusting his robes, he walked away.

I turned to Aranellevanima, who was still rubbing her right cheek, where Herulepilin had struck her. "I am sorry, Aranellevanima." I apologized. "I have never known him to act with such impertinence." I gently grasped her arm, and said "Come with me, we both need to get some rest."

We walked down the hallway, in the opposite direction of where Herulepilin had departed, and  continued until we reached Aranellevanima's chambers. "This is where I leave you." she said, "Saironelloistya, you are not yet responsible for the council's decisions, so you need not apologize for your master's actions." She turned, and commented,"Long has it been since I found rest behind these door." With that she entered her sleeping quarters, and shut the door.

I continued onward towards my room, thinking about how a vow spoken in haste is a vow none the less. Eventually, I reached my room, and the moment I saw my bed, after entering Herulepilin, and I's quarters, I collapsed into a fitful sleep.

                                                                                 . . .

 At around 4:13 WTT, I was awakened by Aranellevanima, who said, "You were having a nightmare?" I nodded in affirmation, and she paused, before continuing, "So was I. Could I please sleep in here?" I nodded again, still groggy, and pulled out a cot from under my bed, before offering her the bed, which she graciously accepted.

I laid down on the cot, sitting in the dark silence for a few minutes, before asking, "What was your nightmare about, Aranelevarainëarestel?(princess of peace and hope)"

She answered, after some thought "I dreamed of dying and going before Mandos, knowing that my soul would be cast aside, for all the evil I've done. This war has brought about my condemnation, Saironelloistya, and I cannot redeem that which is condemned."

"No, Aranellevanima, your soul is blessed. You did that which was above and beyond the call of duty in this war. If anyone's soul in this conflict is condemned, it is the soul of the one responsible for it. I caused this war, and I personally am responsible for all 210,000 deaths in this insufferable conflict. You did your best to save lives, while I actively took them. You stopped me from killing Nimloth in a rage, when I would have taken yet another life." 

I went silent, and Aranellevanima asked "What did your nightmare contain, Saironelloistya?"

The faces of Nardil, Laureaferedir, and Saironellotoron flashed before my eyes, as I responded "I worry that those who did not survive have lost faith in me. I was responsible for many deaths, including General Nardil, General Laureaferedir, and... and Saironellotoron. What if I made decisions, that wasted lives? They are with Mandos, and Nienna, joyous in death, but they also now know all decisions I made, and all decisions I could have made. What if I made more wrong decisions, than just The Slaughter of Mistaostiron, Aranellevanima?"

I heard her roll over, and she replied, "Saironelloistya, you need to stop worrying about the past, or you will be certain to miss the future, and the present. Even so, You made the best decisions you could, based on the best knowledge you had. This war has changed you Saironelloistya, and not for the better, or the worst. You have grown less logical, and more emotional, than you were one year ago, for the past 8,000 years. That is both a good thing, and a bad thing, because you are developing into a better leader, but you haven't developed mercy, towards others or yourself. You will need that to lead this world."

"I will not be leading this land, Aranellevanima, that is the Council's task. I am not fit to be a leader either way. I am not merciful, and I am not a good person. I will try to take you advice and live in the present, but some things are easier said than done, and this is one of those things."

I waited for her to respond, and then realized, from her steady breathing, that she had fallen asleep. I soon followed in her method, and, with her by my side, slept soundly and peacefully, until I was awakened at dawn.

   . . .

I awoke to Aranellevanima looking down on me, fully dressed and awake for the day ahead. She smiled, a radiant smile full of happiness, and mirth, before saying, "You slept well." It was not a question, but I nodded anyways, before she continued, "Arise then, mi Mellon, and shine forth in this new day, for today Nimloth reaps the foul harvest of this War."

I sat up, and glanced around in the rooms of Herulepilin and I's dormitory, noticing first off the smell of breakfast, and secondly, that she had cleaned the dormitory. Groaning as my body readjusted, I requested, "How long have you been awake?"

She laughed and responded, "Only a few hours. Honestly, I was surprised it only took as long as it did, but I knew neither Herulepilin nor you would clean it. It's the job never started that takes the longest to finish."

"And breakfast?" I asked, standing up out of the cot, and looking at her.

She beamed, and took my hand, saying, "Follow me, and you will see," before dragging me out into the kitchen area.

When I looked at the table, I barely managed to keep a tear from running down my face. On the table, sat three plates, and on each of those, sat a slice of egg-cheese-bacon cake. The same dish I had made for breakfast, at my last morning meal around this table, the same day as my trials.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and turned to see Herulepilin, looking at me with understanding, before he walked past Aranellevanima and I, taking a seat at the table.

Aranellevanima and I took our seats at the table, and without a word, all of us began to eat voraciously. When all of us concluded, Herulepilin faced Aranellevanima, and said, "I am truly sorry." In all of the many years I had known Herulepilin, I had only heard him say the words, "I am sorry," two times, and one of them was that day.

Aranellevanima looked him in the eyes, all of us sitting there in silence, before saying, "For what?" With a smile, she said this, before standing up and taking care of the dishes. Herulepilin looked at me, appeased, but curious.

I laughed and gestured towards her, announcing, "She is a much better person than I. If she forgives you, so do I." With that, I went and got changed, into my freshly washed, and mended, military uniform.

. . .

I stood before the Councillors, the three of them looking between Nimloth and I, before Herulepilin stated, "This military tribunal holds authority​, in the case of Nimloth versus The People of Meneltarma. All may be seated." He paused, allowing everyone to take a seat. "Councillor Nimloth, you stand accused of Murder, Gross Misuse of Power, and treason, but you need not stand alone. Have you chosen your defense?"

Nimloth nodded then stood, dressed in white robes, and golden shoes, her hands and feet bound with enchanted promethium, before saying "I have, Your Honors." She looked around before turning toward me, and continuing, "I choose General Saironelloistya, by right of defense's choice."

Aranellevanima went to stand up, but I grasped her wrist, and stood instead. "I will do it."

The Councillors talked amongst themselves for a few moments, before Heruevafairëindemmar spoke, affirming,"Due to the crimes committed by the defendant, and the connection you have with the crimes, we once again offer you the opportunity to abidicate your position as Nimloth's defense. Do you hold to your nomination?"

I looked around the room, first at Nimloth feeling enraged, then at the Council, knowing them to be just, and I almost said no. But then I looked at Aranellevanima, and remembered our conversation the night before about mercy, and being a leader. Then I looked back at Nimloth, and made my decision. "Yes, I hold to my nomination."

Herievamornie nodded, a glint in her eye, as she said, "So be it. Please move to the defendant's side."

When I sat down next to Nimloth, she smiled and mocked, "I suppose you will condemn me in your argument? Typical of one taught by the council."

I, without looking at her, replied, "No, I will defend you. What do you mean by your 'typical' phrase?"

"The Council does not value Justice, they value easy and simple peace. No matter what, this Tribunal will find me guilty, because it is easier to do than admit the truth. It is easier to do than admit to their corruption" she explained cynically.

"And what is their corruption, Nimloth?" I resumed exasperatedly​.

She looked me in the eyes, as if contemplating her next words carefully, before​ answering, "They do not value the people, not like you, and I do, Saironelloistya. In most of the Councillor's minds, the people exist to do little more, than give them power. If you do not believe me, how do you think I convinced, Heruevavista, and Herievahande, to join me? It was not through magic, but through their egos. The people who joined me are an example as well. I sat down and talked with them, and because I treated them as people, not numbers or constituents, they flocked to my banner. I became a Council Member​ to help, not only the people of Meneltarma, but the people of this land. Yet this, I found, was not the Council's goal. I tried to talk to them, such as with the Nurntre Arts case, but they did not listen. They would say, 'you are young and inexperienced. The people do not want our help, they want our protection.' But they do want our help, Saironelloistya, they do. You walked through the lower class districts, and saw the starving, and dehydrated people, begging for food and water, and you gave it to them. The Council would let them starve, but I could not allow that. I had to get the attention of the council, and so I did what had to be done. To help the people."

She began to weep, so I took her hand, and whispered, "Many in this room may suffer condemnation for this War, and their actions in it, but that will not be your fate." I promised her this, before calling out,"I challenge this Council to a trial by the people."

"On what grounds?" Heruevafairëindemmar asked enraged by my request.

I looked towards him, and calmly replied, "On the grounds that the people do not fully rally behind the Council. Without magic, Nimloth was able to rally thousands to her cause, by just helping the people, and being with them. Therefore, the people sought someone to rally behind, because they did not rally behind you. On these grounds, I challenge the Council to a trial by the people."

Heruevafairëindemmar immediately voted against it, but Herievamornie looked at Aranellevanima deep in thought, and indecision, until Aranellevanima nodded. Then Herievamornie said, "I second his motion, and vote to accept the challenge."

Aranellevanima continued looking at me, but I did not return her look, because Herulepilin was staring me down, not in anger, or indecision, but with a sense of pride, that radiated from within him. He stated, "Saironelloistya, as the one who raised you, I like to think that I know you well enough, that we trust each other. Therefore, I will trust your judgement in this. I vote to accept this challenge."

. . .

We all stood before a demographically selected group of the people of The Land of Men and Elves, containing a mixture of 600 Men, Elves, and Dwarves, each selected from a ratio based on the percentage of the population that each race made up. It was also selected based on gender, following the proportions of each.

In front of this group, the two Lawyers, in this case, Heruevafaireindemmar, and I, would speak once each. In this speech, we would present our case, stating not only our belief in Nimloth's case, but whether or not the Council would continue to rule over Meneltarma. The prosecutor would start first.

"People of Meneltarma, " he began, his hands outstreched over them, "We today try Councillor Nimloth for Treason, Murder, and Political injustice. She had a duty to her people, and she betrayed that duty, instead appointing herself as the leader of this confounded rebellion. She bears no remorse for her actions, So why should we show her mercy? Traditionally, she should be put to death, and we here in Meneltarma always hold to tradition. She is single-handedly responsible, for the deaths of over 400,000 people. Therefore, we should treat her as though she murdered 400,000 people. The only punishment worthy of such a crime, is execution. Thus I move that Nimloth be found guilty of her crimes, and punished harshly." He smiled confidently, and concluded, "Thank you."

He stepped down from the pedestal, and turned to me, saying, "No matter what happens here, I hold you in the highest respect."

I walked up to the pedestal, and began, "Eight thousand years I have lived in this city, and yet I still am nervous standing in front of you all." I smiled in spite of myself, before continuing,"However, I have always found that the people of this City are what matters, not the city itself." I evaluated the crowds reactions, before continuing, "I have also always found that the people of this City are kind and just, but I ask you for a trait that you all possess, but rarely show. I ask you for mercy. I do not ask this for my sake, but for General Nimloth. Nimloth made a mistake, and contrary to what The Council would have you believe, she is young, and has much to learn, as do I. She is not a bad person, she simply believed that the Council was corrupt, and after her peaceful attempts fell apart, she sought what she believed was the only Method for achieving morality. She also valued her troops lives, as people not numbers, which is something she believed the Council did not do. However, I am not here to pardon her crimes. That is however, what I am asking you to do. Nimloth made some mistakes, but she is young, and full of life. To rob her of the opportunity to live out her many more years, is criminal in itself. So do we incarcerate her? Is it just to rob more life, than this War has already cost this nation. No, we do not. People of Meneltarma, you realize more than anyone, that this War has cost too many lives. Nimloth certainly agrees. I hope you will take that into account when you vote. Thank you all for your time, attention, and consideration."

I stepped down from the podium, with a bow, and returned to my seat, awaiting the results of the vote, knowing either way, everything would change.

I looked over at the Councilors, evaluating their responses, noting that of the three, only Heruevafaireindemmar looked nervous. Gollorelloleilurambar Looked like his normal grumpy self, but Herievamornie and Herulepilin chatted casually, as though either way the vote went, they would be content. Aranellevanima looked at me nervously, so I nodded to reassure her, before looking at Nimloth. Nimloth had no fear in her eyes, but instead she looked at me with a mixture of fascination, respect, and curiosity, that I could not match.

I looked away, and within a minute, two elves walked up with a box full of votes. They began to unload them onto two scales, one for the Defense, and one for the Prosecution. All of the votes were written on identical sheets of paper, so they all weighed the same, and therefore could be measured by weight. A light was above each scale, and the winning side would automatically light up, to decide in case of a close vote.

My heart dropped, as at first the light above the Prosecution was lit, until around 250, at which point the light began to switch back and forth. At 400, it went steady for the council, but by 550, it was flucuateing between the defense and Prosecution again. Finally, at 598 out of 600, the light was steadily green for the defense, and we knew that the defense had win, as the last two votes both went for the defense

Nimloth sat their in shock, as Herulepilin stood, and calmly, and humbly, "As the last ruling order of The Council of Meneltarma, I hereby aquitt Nimloth of all Charges relating to the War. Thus, on the 22 of June, nearly three months since the beginning of the war. I, Herulepilin of the Council of Meneltarma, Universal Wizard, hereby step down at the bequest of the People of this land."

Herievamornie smiled at Aranellevanima and I, before saying, "I have always been proud of my apprentice, and her friends, and I still am. I have done things I am not proud of as Necromancy Councillor of Meneltarma, but I will always be proud knowing that Aranellevanima has grown into a kind, and wise woman. I hereby step down as Necromancy Councillor of Meneltarma, not only at the request of the people, but at the request of Aranellevanima, Saironelloistya, and, I can with certainty say, Saironellotoron. Thank you all for allowing me to serve you." She affectionately rested the palm of her hand on Aranellevanima's cheek, catching her tears. "You have done well, my friend." She said before returning to her seat next to Herulepilin.

Gollorelloleilurambar stood and stated, "I willing step down at the request of the people, whom I have served." This held true to his nature as a man of few words, and little mitigation. He sat down calmly, but pridefully.

Heruevafaireindemmar stood up and said, "A government gains its power from its constituents, and therefore cannot rule without its consent. Therefore, I have no choice but to follow the other Councillor's​ precedent, and step down at the request of the people. Thank you for allowing me to serve you." With that, he stalked angrily off of the stage.

Herulepilin turned to Aranellevanima and I, and said, "I suppose now the two of you create​ the​ new Governmental Constitution of Meneltarma?"

I shook my head no. "That is the right of the people, not the few. For now, Aranellevanima and I have to make contact with one who we met not very long ago."

Aranellevanima looked at me bewildered. "Who?" She asked in confusion, unsure to what I meant.

I smiled, and very calmly and casually said, "Why, Martamo of course."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156 2 42
If you've stuck it out with me and you're still here, then you deserve a medal, because even I can't keep up with the mess that is my life. My life...
7 0 31
In the mystical land of Elysium, where magic weaves through every leaf and whispers secrets to the wind, a darkness begins to stir. For centuries, th...
18.1K 722 13
A sellsword with a haunting past that follows her every day. Only a handful of people know about it. Every day, her life hangs in a thread. Can she h...
6.7K 368 15
Orphaned at the age of ten, Blake found himself fighting in the streets and learning to fend for himself. His new life at the university was going we...