Tradition Comes Third

By masonfitzzy

The third book to the Family Comes First trilogy Time has passed, and now Hunter is seventeen and preparing... More

Calculus
Who Knows?
Getting Ready
Ava
Late Night
All Together
Back To Traditions
Westwood
Aftermath Freak Out
Part of the Family
A Lesson
Cold Dinner
Leah
Roof Top
Lock and Key
Oh God
One Or The Other
The Shed
Don't Break
Breakfast
Where We Are
Hunger
Need to Survive
A Plan Together
The Act
A Meal and A Talk
Already Cracking
The Driver And Passenger
Protecting Ourselves
In The Woods
Headache
Unconscious
Together
Middle of the Night
Getaway
What's Best
Wasting Away
Blair
Listen To What I Say
Searching and Talking
Alarm Clock
The Birth
Messy
Restart
Cops and Paramedics
Hospital
The End
Bonus Chapter - Panic

Family Dinner

62.2K 3.1K 4.6K
By masonfitzzy

Author's note: Sorry this update took a while. I've had quite the string of bad luck lately. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I texted Ava to come over for dinner. She replied right away and agreed to. I sat at my desk, and pulled out my calculus textbook. I managed to finish a few questions before six o'clock.

I hurried down the stairs and waited by the door. The last thing I needed was Mom or Dad answering the door. I could hear them moving around in the dining room.

"I have no idea," Mom said. "He's never mentioned a girl before."

"We'll meet her and see how she is," Dad said. "I want you to make her feel comfortable here."

I stood waiting by the door. I could see Ava walking up the sidewalk, and up to the house. I opened the door before she knocked on the door. Her blue eyes grew when she saw me. She had on a black dress and tights. A purple scarf was wrapped around her neck. Her blonde hair was pinned back.

"You look beautiful," I said without realizing.

Ava stopped, and the pale skin on her cheeks started to blush.

"Thank you." She got up on her toes and kissed me.

I looked up to see the clouds above the house were dark. A cold breeze tickled my skin. I opened the door further, and Ava stepped in. When the door shut, Mom hurried out from the kitchen. She had put on a red dress and had curled her hair. She opened her arms and hugged Ava.

"I'm so excited," Mom said. "Hunter has never brought a girl home before."

"Well, we're going to start off awkward," I said.

"Thank you for inviting me," Ava said.

"You're so beautiful," Mom told her, and I watched Ava's face blush even more.

Dad came out from the kitchen, and he had on a pair of slacks and a white button up shirt. I looked down at my jeans and shirt to see I was the only one who was not dressed up.

"We're glad you could join our family, Ava," Dad told her.

"Thank you." Ava's smile grew bigger.

Mom slipped her hand into Dad's. He looked down at her and smiled. He started to pull her towards the dining room.

"Dinner is already on the table," he said. "Let's eat."

Dad and Mom disappeared to the dining room. I looked over at Ava to see she was fiddling with the ends of her scarf.

"Sorry about my family," I said quietly.

"It's really nice," she said. "Your parents really love each other."

Rain started to pelt the windows outside. I took a step forward and Ava followed behind me. The table was full of food, and the delicious smell filled my nose. Dad and Mom sat opposite ends of the table. Ava and I sat down across from each other. We started to pass food around the table.

"How did you two meet?" Mom asked.

"At a -." Ava started to say.

"At school." I cut her off. Mom couldn't know Adrian and I were at a party. "Ava just started at Westwood."

"Did you just move here?" Dad asked.

"Yes, I moved in with my aunt," she said.

"What happened to your parents?"

"My Dad left when I was little, and my Mom recently died."

Ava wash looking down at her plate, and was pushing her food around the plate.

"Are you and your Aunt close?"

Ava shook her head. "No. We can go days without seeing each other."

Dad's lips curled into a smile. "You're always welcome in our family."

"Thank you," she said. "I've read your book, Mrs. Wilcox. I really enjoyed it"

"You can call me Julie," Mom said. "You joined us for dinner, so I'm going to guess you believe this family isn't evil."

"No." She shook her head. "It's unfortunate what happened."

"People out there having been trying to keep our family apart," Dad said. "We're trying our best to make sure that never happens again."

The rain was hitting the window harder, and caused an echo through the dining room.

"Hunter was talking about university," Dad said. "Do you have the same plans?"

"No, I can't afford it," Ava said. "Plus, I have no idea what I would want to do."

Dad shook his head and shovelled another forkful of food into his mouth. I was almost finished the food on my plate. Mom's face was frozen in a smile, and she only picked at her meal. I rolled my eyes when Dad congratulated Ava on not leaving her family.

There was a clap of thunder and everyone stopped talking. I could see the leaves on the tree outside clinging onto the branches as the wind ripped through them.

"Mom, can I borrow your car to drive Ava home tonight? She walked here," I said.

"Of course," she said.

"Just spend the night here," Dad said. "I don't want you driving in that. It's too dangerous out there."

"I've driven in storms before," I said.

"I just want you two to be safe," he said.

"It's a Wednesday," I said. "We both have school in the morning."

"Take your mother's car in the morning," he said. "Stop at Ava's house before school, and then you two can drive to school."

I looked across the table at Ava. "Are you okay with that?"

"Yes, it's alright," she said.

"Excellent," Dad said.

When we finished eating, Mom got up from the table and started clearing the plates. I stood up and began to help her. Dad put his hand on my shoulder and pushed me back down in the seat. Ava had a handful of plates and brought them into the kitchen.

"What was that for?" I asked him.

"Just sit down and relax," he said. "That's a woman's job."

"That's pretty sexist," I said.

"Hunter, you've been working hard all day, and this is your home. Enjoy it."

Mom and Ava came in and out of the room and quickly had the table cleared. They were talking softly to each other and giggling. Ava walked in with a large plate of cookies.

"Julie made these for dessert," she said placing it down on the table.

Dad reached forward and grabbed a few off of the plate.

"I definitely missed these," he said before scarfing them down.

Mom walked in the room with a couple of glasses of milk and was shaking her head.

"You boys always ate those cookies quicker than I could make them," she said.

"Hunter, why don't you and Ava take a few and go downstairs?" Dad said. "I want to talk to your Mom for a bit."

I piled a few cookies onto a napkin and stood up. Ava followed me as I went down into the basement. I was glad to just get away from the awkward conversation.

I turned on the lights to the basement. Our old couch was sitting across from the television. Mom had a few bookcases that were covered in books. I almost never saw her watching television or listening to the radio. I sat down on the couch, which I sank into quite some bit. Ava sat down beside me, and I set the cookies down on the coffee table.

"Sorry about my family," I said.

"Don't apologize. It was nice," she told me. "I don't think my family ever sat around the table and shared a meal together."

I shrugged my shoulders.

"You don't have to stay tonight if you don't want to," I said. "I understand if it makes you uncomfortable."

Ava giggled and picked up a cookie. "Hunter, the first time we met, you spent the night at my house."

"That is true. So what do you want to do? Watch a movie?"

"Sounds good to me."

"I'll go get a few from my room," I said standing up from the couch.

"Pick something good." Ava winked at me.

I walked up the stairs. Before I opened up the door, I could hear Mom and Dad talking to each other.

"Are you sure?" Mom said. "He's only seventeen. He's not even twenty yet."

"Julie, this is perfect," Dad said. "I don't want to pass up this opportunity."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 616 26
After Julia gets taken by a gang, her husbands must do everything in their power to get her back. Once they discover what has happened, they must dea...
6.6K 144 16
Based on a story from my old account and from the third instalment of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Lori and her friends are taking a road trip to celebra...
23.2K 1.7K 30
Origin story to the Family Comes First series by Mason Fitzgibbon. The Wilcox family's horrifying and twisted traditions all began in 1873. Joseph: A...
738 21 7
Here's an extremely cringy book I write awhile go! (*cries* don't judge me, okie? I was like 15 when I wrote this!) Warning! Read at your own risk...