Ghost Hunt: The Return

By darkgenius2003

Mai and Naru deserve more character development- and so much more romance >:) × It's been 5 years since Naru... More

Stay tuned! (A/N)
The Return I
The Return III
The Return IV
The Return V
The Down Under I
The Down Under II

The Return II

847 80 22
By darkgenius2003

Chapter 2: Eyes on Mai

June 3rd
2

:48pm

"Taniyama-san? Were you listening to me? Taniyama-san? TANIYAMA-SAN!"

A loud voice interrupted the magical dance Hello Kitties were doing in the sky. They looked down at me accusingly as I tried to figure out what was happening. Why are Hello Kitties in the sky? Was that even possible?

"MAI-SAN!" yelled one of the Hello Kitties, but the deep voice didn't really match up with her small, feline frame.

My head snapped up and my eyes slowly pried themselves open, disoriented. "Yes?" I mumbled.

I hear a deep groan emit from my literature professor, and I suddenly realize the situation I'm in. Now my eyes were wide open.

I fell asleep. In class.

"Mai, after class. But first, a warning. Don't let this happen again, please. This is the fifth time this year, and break is in a few weeks. You can make it," Mr. Lao called from the front of the class. He was standing in front of his whiteboard with a frown on his face. Other students in the class sent me varying looks of pity.

"Yes, sir."

***

"What happened, Taniyama? Are you of ill health? You do know that the materials we're covering now will be included in this year's state exam, right?"

I sighed, vaguely thinking that maybe I shouldn't have stayed up last night to finish that report.

"I'm terribly sorry sir, I had another paper due earlier today and I was awake all last night editing and revising it. It won't happen again, I assure you," I say.

My now-awake eyes look around at the empty classroom. My seat was all the way at the very top, the perfect place to fall asleep and (almost) not get caught. Almost. Mr. Lao's known as a particularly strict professor, but it seems he does have a heart somewhere in his formal demeanor because his posture relaxed just a little bit.

"I see. Well, okay, let me know if you need after-school classes to catch up on work. Staff members are here to help if you have any problems. The good news is that your grade improved over the last month, so keep up the good work before break. And be sure not to fall asleep in any class ever again, it could prove to be quite insulting to the professor at hand. Here I was worried my lectures were becoming a bit boring..."

He shuffled some papers on his desk and arranged them into a neat pile. They were boring, he was boring, but he didn't have to know that.

"Yes, of course, sorry again. See you tomorrow, sir!" I said, anxious to just leave. He nodded and waved his hand, signaling my release.

I left. Sighing, I slung my backpack over my shoulder and went to go find my friends, who usually waited for me in the front of the main campus building. All of us attend Tokyo U, just different branches of the buildings.

"Maaaaiiii, over here!" I hear Keiko's loud voice coming towards me at a very high speed, and I squint. Her footsteps are getting closer, but I can't tell which direction she's coming from. Damn you, sun.

"Boo." Out of nowhere, two hands cover my eyes.

Startled, I exclaim, "Keiko, you scared me! You really need to stop doing that."

Keiko laughs, moving her arms away. "Sorry Mai, it's just funny to see your reaction," she says tauntingly.

I swat her. Now that my eyes have adjusted to the light, I make out three approaching figures out of the corner of my eye, relaxing when I realize that it's Ken, Yasu, and Michiru. "Hey guys."

"Hey Mai," Ken says. "What's up? I heard Lao caught you catching some Z's during his class."

"You heard right, unfortunately. I stayed up late last night finishing an assignment, but he let me off with a warning."

"Lucky. I heard once that he slammed a book near a student's head for sleeping, in front of the whole class. The man sounds wild," Yasu laughed.

We start making our way towards the front gates of the campus as a group.

"Not that I've seen," I laughed.

"So, since we're all here, do you guys want to hang out somewhere? I'm dying of thirst and could really use an ice cream," Ken says. "Or maybe just a good glass of cold water..."

"I can. I finished all my work yesterday so I can finally stop worrying about having to stay here on campus for summer school," Keiko replies, putting her hands behind her head and walking backward.

Ken smiles at her. "Alright, Mai? Yasu? Michiru?"

"Yeah, I wanna get ice cream. My PowerPoint isn't due till right before break, so I've got time. " The case'll be easy to write so I'll be fine... I think.

Yasu says, "I can go."

All we need is Michiru. Almost simultaneously, we turn to her. "How about you?" I as. She's been quiet this whole time, now that I think about it.

She fidgets. "Well..."

The group pauses, waiting for a reply.

"I got a new job."

"What? That's great! Where is it at?" Yasu asks her.

Michiru stops fidgeting and faces us.  "It's just, I got an internship at a really good law firm, and well, it starts today. I didn't know how to mention it because I wanted to get to spend my summer with you guys again, but I also really want to get some experience in an actual law firm, and I didn't actually think I would get it, but I did, and now I don't know if it's worth it if it means I have to give away most of my summer to working in an offic-"

Ken and Keiko cut her off in a hug after overcoming their shock, Yasu and I quickly joining right after.

"That's great, what do you mean?" Ken exclaims.

I sigh in relief and bury myself in the group hug. "This is the second time today I got scared out of my mind for no reason." My eyes narrow at Keiko pointedly and then return to Michiru. "I thought you were moving or something..."

We separate, and Keiko laughs.  "Honestly, you scared me too. I was thinking that maybe you were pregnant, with that little muffintop of yours. Then I reminded myself that that wasn't possible, because, I mean, who would ever get into bed with you?" She smirks, crossing her arms and watching in demonic glee as Michiru stared at her with her mouth agape. "I started thinking of the other options, but my mind kept drawing a blank, so I started reconsidering if there was someone blind enough to accidentally f-"

"Shh!" Michiru pouts at her. "I hate you."

"I love you too," Keiko sings as she continues her journey to the park.

See? Crazy.

"Don't worry, Mi, I'm sure you'll find someone soon," I say, patting her on the back. "If not, we'll just be single together," I winked.

"Wait, you said your internship starts today, so what time?" Ken asks Michiru.

Ken, surprisingly, is the most serious one of the group, aside from Michiru. I guess since he and Keiko are dating, it makes sense. The two of them are the ultimate power couple, with Keiko as the loud, crazy one, and Ken as the outgoing and successful one. Yasu and I are the hearts of the group with wits to go with, and Michiru is the lovable brainiac babysitter who keeps us all in check. The ultimate friendships.

"They wanted to interview me again so they could figure out which section to place me. It's at 7," Michiru says.

"Ahh, okay." I glance at my phone. "Well, you still have a few hours so do you wanna go to the park and then stop for some ice cream?"

"How could I say no to ice cream," Michiru laughs.

As a mini-horde, we continue speed-walking to our destination, talking and laughing the whole way.

The incident today in class got me thinking about school and work, and how I needed to get a better handle on my living situation.

Everyone's getting jobs that correspond with their majors. First was Yasu and Keiko with accounting occupations, and then Ken landed a business internship, and Michiru now has a law internship. With me getting a dual in both business and parapsychology, it should be relatively easy to find a job or internship with management or psychic research teams, but I haven't really thought about looking yet. I should probably find one before summer starts...

When we arrive at a nearby park, Keiko, Yasu and Michiru take seats at a table, probably to talk about their existent lives and jobs. Since I have neither of those, I settle for taking a break on the swings. Ken follows quietly. He usually knows when I'm thinking harder than normal.

I take a seat on the child-sized swing-sets, the chains squeaking at the sudden weight. Sighing, I stare at the rest of the small park in slight wonder at how kids were even able to navigate through the tiny spaces. Ken looks at me.

"What's wrong?"

"Not much. I just realized that I really need to get a job."

He frowns slightly. "I thought you already have that part-time one at that hotel? As a receptionist, right?" Ken asks me as he settles into his chair. He pushes his long legs off the ground in a fruitless attempt to swing.

I pull at the chains, lightly swinging back and forth. "Yeah, but I definitely don't want to be there in the summer. There's also the fact that my boss weirds me out."

I made the mistake of getting my current part-time job last spring, and at first, everything was fine. The pay is 2000¥ an hour, which is a lot for a college student like me. I work at the front desk, giving rich people and tourists their room information and keys, along with plenty of bright smiles.

Then summer came rolling around, and with it: The Couples.

High-school students, college students, older men with younger girls, cougars, you name it. Luckily I barely ever had to go up into the rooms, but when the occasion did occur, I was haunted.

I put up with it last summer, and most of the couples were back in school by the fall, but there is no way I want to go through that again. So no, I'm not going to be sticking with hotels for much longer anytime soon.

I vented all of this to Ken, who in turn shot me a look.

"If your boss ever tries anything, I won't hesitate to beat his face into oblivion. Not that you wouldn't do it before I could ever get the chance." He smirks. "But there are a few business jobs you could get with your skills open at my place, if you really want to apply."

"Thanks, I'll definitely consider it."

It's difficult to ignore the fact that Ken is the son of a wealthy CEO and entrepreneur. If he chooses to go in his father's direction, he's got a lot of work ahead of him. His dad is a very kind man though, so I don't see many problems arising regardless of what Ken chooses to do. I had the pleasure of meeting him, and while he hopes Ken decides to succeed him, he respects his wishes.

"No problem, Mai-chan. So, getting off the topic of jobs and work and depressing things like, that, let's talk about fun things like what happened on your little date with Jake-kun..."

I wiggle my eyebrows. "I'll talk about it when we all go get ice cream. That way I won't have to go through 4 different sets of interrogations," I say.

***

4:53pm

"What?! Mai found a guy she actually likes? Why didn't you tell us sooner?!"

"Shhh! You're going to get us kicked out of here!" I scold Keiko, looking at the owner of the small ice cream shop who was standing behind the ice cream counter, eyeing us suspiciously.

"Pffsh, let's see him try. But why didn't you say this earlier when Michiru told us about her big news? We could've had an extra group hug, just for you!" Keiko sits back down into her spot at the booth. I sat with Michiru and Yasu, while Keiko and Ken were across from us.

"She's right! This is great! I can't believe my little girl is getting all grown up," Yasu exclaims, brushing a tear from his eye before sitting up patiently and looking me in the eye. "Now tell us more."

"Well... His name is Jake."

"How tall is he?" "Where's he from? "Is he hot?!" "Does he seem like he likes you for you and not for your looks?" "What's his personal information? Better yet, where does he live..."

I cough to gather their attention again. "His name is Jake, he's about 6 feet tall, he's from America, yes, I think he is attractive," Keiko and Michiru grin. "I maybe? think he likes me, and... disclosing his personal living accommodations isn't necessary to anyone here, so that information will remain secret."

"Aww," says Yasu. "I wanted to spy on him."

That was expected. "It won't come to that," pausing mysteriously, I add, "-but if it does, you'll be the first to know."

Insert wink wink, nudge nudge ;) @ Yasu. He smiles mischievously.

"Do you have any pictures of him? If Mai thinks he's attractive, he must be VERY undeniably attractive!" Keiko says, winking.

"That's not true... I find a lot of men... attractive..."

"Mhmm, that's why you've been so eager looking for boyfriends in the area, sure Mai."

Pfft. She's just saying that because I happen to have this thing called, standards.

"She's right, you do tend to find most guys not-to-your-expectations, Mai-chan," says Michiru. What? My dear, quiet Michiru... ganging up on me? The world must be ending!

I throw my hands up into the air and rest my head on the cool table. "I give up. I don't have any pictures of him, sorry guys." I did have his Instagram account, but they didn't have to know that. A small, satisfied smile makes its way onto my face.

"Not to worry! I've talked to him a few times recently, and I have a few Snaps screenshotted for reference. Here we are..."

Ken scrolls through his camera roll on his phone, grinning profoundly as everyone crowds around it. "Oh, here's one. And here's one... Oh, and this is the one he sent to me before his date with Mai, asking whether or not his attire was okay."

Ignoring all the gasps and wows, I cover my red face with folded arms and groan. "Damn it, Ken."

I'm attacked with more questions about me and Jake's "romantic, meant-to-be relationship," to quote Keiko, when the food arrives. Yes, ice cream is a food, and a very good one too.

We all eat our cones and sherbet and sundaes, our talk gladly straying away from the topic of Jake. After we all gossiped away and Yasu finished his seconds, thirds, and fourths of ice cream, Michiru rose and gathered her things, saying that she should start to leave and get ready for her interview.

"Yeah, it is about the time to head home. Quarter to six. Anyone want a ride?" Ken asked, looking around. "I had my dad's executive assistant bring my car over."

"I could use one," said Keiko. "I'm too tired to walk all the way home." She yawns as if to prove her point.

"Your house is like 5 blocks away!" Yasu exclaims, leaving a 500¥ tip on the table and standing up.

She shrugs. "He offered."

Michiru slings her purse over her shoulder. "If you don't mind, could you take me home too? It'll take at least 20 minutes for me to make it to my apartment..."

"Of course. Anyone else?" Ken looks at Yasu and I questioningly.

"I'll walk," I say. "My apartment's not very far from here."

Yasu nods. "I live close by as well, so I'll just walk with Mai."

"Alright, sounds good. Yasu, make sure Mai doesn't get eaten by a wild animal. Mai, make sure Yasu doesn't get hit by a car. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

"Yes, sir!" we shout at the same time, grinning.

Ken claps us on the backs and makes his way to the door of the shop, Michiru and Keiko waving their goodbyes and following.

When they've left, I turn to Yasu. "So, shall we get going?"

He holds his hand up and turns to face the front of the ice cream shop, towards the menu board. Oh no. "Just allow me to get one more cone."

***

7:11pm

Yasu licks the chocolate ice cream threatening to spill over the edge of the vanilla cone. Luckily he manages to catch some of it, but a few drops escape. It didn't help that he was walking.

"You should've let me buy you one, I can tell you're hungry," Yasu says, bringing me to tear my eyes away from his cone and look at him.

"If I wanted one, I would've gotten one. I didn't want one."

He smirks at me. "But now you do."

Stubbornly, I start walking towards the direction of his apartment just a tad bit faster, just enough for Yasu to start to get left behind. "Hey! Come back here!" he calls out, catching up with me. I kept walking. Silence, a pause, and then- "I'll give you some!"

I stop and turn around. "Really?"

Groaning, Yasu takes another bite and begrudgingly hands me the chocolate cone. "Not all of it."

I end up eating all of it. We walk across busy streets and through traffic, the loud cars ruining any peace I was hoping to find. It was still nice to talk with Yasu.

Up ahead and across the street was the apartment complex Yasu lived in, so I slowed my pace. "That was a nice walk, wouldn't you say?"

"Indeed it was. I'll have to inform our dear friend Ken that I managed to keep you from getting eaten by wild animals," Yasu acknowledged.

I bound to the intersection and cross the street, replying, "And I managed to keep you from getting hit by a car."

Suddenly I felt a tingling sensation on my neck. The feeling of someone watching me rose goosebumps on my skin, but I shook it off and reached the end of the crosswalk. It's hard for a driver not to look at the person crossing the street. There were cars everywhere, and I'm being unusually paranoid.

"Better watch out or you might be the one to get hit," he says, making sure to look both ways before he crosses over. "Sure you'll be okay the rest of the way home?"

"Yeah, I'll call you when I make it to my apartment if it makes you feel better."

"Text me," he calls, walking into the front door of the complex.

I went home.

***

Naruuuu is pictured! Looking hot and miserable, as always.

This chapter was longer than the last, but nothing eventful happened. Don't wanna rush into things, but I suspect the drama will start at the end of the next chapter ;) Leave a vote! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

981 22 8
Shibuya Psychic Research is hired to investigate a delapidated Tokyo schoolhouse. The same day they begin, Ghost Hunt fan girl Nira Narumi falls into...
448 3 9
Things take a grim turn when a student's suicide note hint at the beginning of darker times for Ryokuryou High, but Naru is up to the challenge. To m...
18.1K 597 7
Mai has an odd vision dealing with a new kind of ghost that not even Naru can distinguish. She sets her journey trying to figure out the puzzle's to...
29.7K 1K 30
(Under editing) This is a mai x naru fanfiction. After a year of being in England Naru is ready to take over SPR again from Madoko. Lets see if naru...