Her Hidden Half (War Songs of...

By AuroraEScott

Fate has promised me the shittiest ever after... Death. Fortunately, I've never been very good at accepting... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Epilogue
Book Two Announcement!
Claiming Her Crown Update

Chapter Nineteen

8.7K 622 24
By AuroraEScott

"You think I'm pretty?" He smirked, his eyes gleaming teasingly.

I rolled my eyes at him. "You sound exactly like a girl I sat next to in math." I paused, as if to remember her. "Hmm, yeah. I didn't like her either."

His hands shot up to cover his heart, wearing an offended look. "You wound me, little one," he professed theatrically.

I leaned back on my hands, trying to appear relaxed, as I gave him a plastic smile with narrowed eyes. "Well, that's just a happy coincidence."

He didn't look discouraged by my aversion to him at all. Instead, he looked to be almost enjoying himself as he leaned against the tree, donning a delightfully sinful smile on his face as he crossed his arms. "You should really be a lot nicer to me, you know." 

"And why's that?" I lifted an eyebrow, disbelieving.

"Because I'm the only one who can help you survive the change," he cockily stated.

Everything in me froze and my eyes shot to his, searching for any signs of deceit. I swallowed my hope uneasily and gave voice to my inner skepticism.

"And you just happen to know how to help me 'survive the change'? That's awfully convenient for you, don't you think?" I asked with a forced lightness in my voice.

"I don't just happen to know anything. I know things that no one else does because I have plans that require that of me. That said," he continued conversationally, concentrating his gaze at me, "I do intend to use a specific piece of information I've come across to ensure your life." His tone was genuine and matter of fact.

I kept myself from jumping at the offer, unsure if it was real and sure that wanted something. "And what would you get out of it?" I questioned, searching for his motive.

"Well, that's simple. You'll owe me," he declared as if it was obvious.

I stared blankly at him, unconvinced.

"You'll be something extraordinary with matching set of equally extraordinary powers, Echo. To have someone with that kind of power owing me? Well, that's just not something I can pass up," he explained.

My defences went up at that, the answer reminding me of what I'd learned about the last one of my kind who had been killed by a vampire. "Why would you want something powerful to owe you when you can be the powerful thing? Isn't that why you bit me?" I said, setting him with an angry glare.

"Oh, please. You're still angry about that? I said it was necessary and it was. I didn't bite you for your power because, despite the rumours, nothing could hold that kind of power unless it was built to carry it," he said, as if it was absurd.

"Then why was it so necessary to bite me?" I demanded, still unconvinced.

"Now, I can't tell you all my secrets, little one. This is a strategic game I'm playing, and you just happen to be part of it. All you need to know is that it's in my best interest that you live," he affirmed lightly.

"So you expect me to believe that you'd risk your life to save me simply so I would owe you if I lived?" I asked dubiously.

"No, I risked my life so I could create a disruption in the Courts and you'll owe me when you live," he corrected.

"A disruption? How would I be a disruption?" My confusion, no doubt, clear on my face as well in my tone.

"Because they wouldn't be able to control you. And what they can't control, they fear. It would cause quite the commotion and I need that kind of distraction," he said simply with a shrug of his shoulder.

Straightened in interest as he spoke, his words forming a sense of hope in my chest. "No one would be able to control me?"

"Look at that. I've finally caught her interest." He cocked an eyebrow at me, knowing he had me hooked, line and sinker.

I glared at him impatiently and growled, "Just answer the question, Toothless."

He had retractable teeth; it was a fair comparison.

He squinted at me questioningly but continued, "Yes, you'd be unrestrained in every sense of the word." He watched me for my reaction so I tried to dampen any that I might have as I considered his words carefully.

I eyed him with mistrust. "How do I know you're telling the truth?"

I wasn't fully convinced yet, and that wasn't something I would attempt to hide, but he had essentially just told me that I had a chance at life, one where no one else could control me. There's no way I could turn away from that. My desire for that life wouldn't let me.

"You don't, but I'm the only one who's giving you the option of life and that's better what anyone else is offering. The shifters around you aren't any help to you. Not really. They answer to their king. A king who doesn't want to save you, but learn how to contain and control you and your kind." His voice carried a clear truth that I didn't want to face quite yet and it made me shift uncomfortably.

The weight of his words settled on me, making me itch to rebel.

"I don't trust you," I told him with a stubbornly tilt to my chin.

"Good. I don't want you to trust me. Your distrust of others, in this situation, is very much needed. Make sure to extend it to everyone around you. If they know what you are, then they want something from you," he said, settling my rebellion slightly as he lifted off of his position on the tree and strolled towards me.

I kept silent, even as I agreed, watching him closely as he came to a stop in front of me.

"Even Kieran." He gave me a meaningful look and offered his hand.

I rolled my eyes and gave his hand a distrustful glance.

"I'm just giving you a heads up. What you do with it is up to you," he said, his tone and body language matching his unwary words.

"I didn't know you cared so much," I said sarcastically as I slapped my hand in his clumsily and allowed him to assist me up.

"Oh, I care," he hummed as he tugged on my hand abruptly, causing me to tumble into him.

I tried to reclaim my hand but he wouldn't let up on his grip. My mouth formed around an very explicit word, ready to hurl it at him, when he interrupted, abruptly changing the subject.

"Is that your natural hair?" His voice was inquisitive as he watched me with all too interested eyes.

"Excuse me?" I asked defensively, his nearness and sudden switch in topics making me feel unsteady.

"Your hair. Is it natural?" He picked up a strand of my hair and examined it before looking back up at me expectantly.

"Yes," I said, watching him nod in confirmation as he let the strand slip through his fingers.

"You can't speak to anyone of me or these dreams. Do you understand?" He tore his attention from my hair and looked up at me with a serious expression.

At this rate, he was bound to give me whiplash from swiftly changing the topic of discussion on a whim.

"And if I do?" I asked, unable to help from defying in some small way.

All pleasantries left his features and a cold, dangerous look replaced it.

"Then I won't be able to ensure your safety. I can't keep you safe if you are actively undermining my plans, Echo. And I will know if you tell anyone, so tell me. Do you understand?" He grabbed my chin gently and tilted it up until I was directly looking at him.

"Yes," I whispered softly.

The warmth returned slowly as he took in the details of my face. One of his hand still held mine and the other held my chin up to him. A distant feeling of restlessness pawed relentlessly inside me, insisting on something I couldn't fully interpret.

Demetrius's eyes twinkled with a soft satisfaction as they looked into mine. I barely withheld a gasp as I saw my eyes gradually start to glow in the reflection of his.

"Another surprise. You seem to be full of those," he murmured as his thumb brushed against my cheek softly.

Before I had the chance to respond I felt a pull, making the world dissipate around me, taking him along with it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 95.5K 78
(𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞🔞) Three mates. One destiny. A world on the brink of destruction. At 27, Riley thought she knew who she w...
2M 82.9K 55
Scars... Some are worn on the outside and read like a book, others are hidden on the inside, unseen but shape every fabric of our being. Alpha Chris...
32 0 1
This is a fated mate romance between a reluctant fiery woman and an alpha male who is more then used to getting his way. Their bloodlines make them s...