The Highlander's Servant (Boo...

Oleh foreverhopeful

For Kirstin Croft, the lowlands of Scotland have always been a sanctuary for protecting her sense of virtue a... Lebih Banyak

Author's Note and Update!
Glossary
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Nine

89.8K 3.1K 95
Oleh foreverhopeful

Lachlan sat at the head of a long table within the dining quarters of his home. He watched as the burly men around him drunkenly laughed and roared above the talk of others, often times standing up only to fall back into their chairs. Lachlan slammed his chalice down, in annoyance, and abruptly stood from his chair.

The men around him noticed his movements and turned their heads to watch him. He easily held up one hand, silencing them. Lachlan's eyes turned dark as the men now realized that it was time to have a serious talk about politics.

"Shaun." Lachlan called out. A large, muscular man tensed in his chair as his gaze met that of the laird's. He must have been one of the few sober men who sat in the room, for his great size made it difficult for him to become affected by the alcohol.

Lachlan continued, his tone not faltering, "What news do ye have of the Ruskin Clan?"

Shaun gave a curt nod, comprehending the question, and then answered, "They have slaughtered many of our flocks, threatened our women and children, and made their intentions known by trespassing on our lands."

Lachlan frowned briefly before a stern look masked his expression. He scanned his eyes around the room and projected his voice for all to hear, "For now on, ye will train from dawn 'til dusk. Any boy whom has reached the age of a man will join these sessions."

A much smaller man asked loudly, "Are we preparing for battle against the Ruskin Clan?"

Lachlan smirked, "Aye, we are preparing to smother those bastards. I willna have them disrupt the peace within my clan any longer. They have taken the lives of two and wrecked havoc across my lands. 'Tis time we give them a taste of their own poison."

Every man in the room roared out in agreement, lifting their chalices to the ceiling and patting one another on the back. Something glistened in Lachlan's eyes as he once again observed the men before him. Only Roderick, who stood to the side, recognized the look in his eyes.

It was that of determination, and he knew the severity of this emotion upon his laird. It meant that Lachlan would strive to seek revenge, and he would take as many lives as he had to in order to accomplish this endeavor. It was a dangerous look, but a look that made Lachlan all the more feared in the lands.

Lachlan did not stay in the room for much longer. He left his men, who were now more boisterous than they had been before, and slipped away into the shadows of the halls.

The laird did not return to his chambers, though, and instead took a sharp turn within the halls. He followed the all too familiar way to Kirstin's room. It was late, and there was no doubt in his mind that she was asleep. He had an urge to check on her sleeping form every night, but only for the assurance that she was alive and well.

He would often a time kiss her still form and take notice to the way she smiled when he did. The reaction made his heart beat heavy within his chest, and only proved his need to protect her all the more.

Lachlan turned the knob to her door and pushed lightly. He was careful to not wake her as he closed the distance between the door and her bed. Though, it was not until he had come only a mere foot away that he could easily see the bed was absent of her sleeping form. He carefully looked around the room as if confirming his suspicion, and then brusquely turned foot and left.

Worried thoughts raced in his mind. With the Ruskin Clan causing mayhem throughout his lands, he could not help but think the worst for the small blonde.

Lachlan did not bother to alert his men of her disappearance, for they were drunk and would only think lesser of him if they knew of his weakness. Lachlan was stubborn as a mule, but he was also all-knowing in many ways. He knew where to look for Kirstin before he asked for assistance in finding her, and he could only hope that she was there.

He swiftly opened a large door that led to the darkness of the night sky. Only a couple of stars twinkled above, and a full moon hid behind the few clouds that were there.

Lachlan did not halt his movements as he continued rushing to the far side of his manor, and went into the woods. He ignored the crunching of leaves beneath his feet and the many branches that reached out to him.

When he approached the end of the woods that encircled the field, his eyes scanned the area rapidly. His search came to an end when the full moon came out from the clouds and its light briefly fell against the tall grass. Lachlan did not miss the small girl that lay in the center of it all. He instantly became relieved and walked towards her.

By the time he stood over the girl, he saw the opened book that lay next to her. Lachlan refrained from chuckling at first, and instead felt a mix of annoyance and infuriation. How could Kirstin be so irresponsible and fall asleep amidst a darkened field? Surely the girl was much too naïve in her ways.

Kirstin temporarily stirred in her sleep when Lachlan picked the journal up from the ground. He held it loosely under his arm and then, not wanting to wake her, Lachlan carefully slipped his hands beneath Kirstin. He effortlessly picked Kirstin up and held her against him as if she was his most precious possession.

Kirstin unconsciously nuzzled her face into the crook of his neck. Her breath against his skin made the hairs on Lachlan's arms rise, as it was a feeling he much enjoyed.

While Lachlan was carrying her back through the woods towards his manor, she dazedly mumbled his name. Instead of answering her though, he kissed her temple, and she simply dozed off again. Kirstin did not awake again after that.

Lachlan made sure to enter the manor through a side door, because he did not want another man's gaze on the beauty who lay in his arms. He also did not want for her to awake from their loud drunken voices.

He silently walked back to his own chambers, to where a single candle was lit in the largest of rooms. Lachlan gently laid Kirstin down on his bed. He watched as she curled up against the soft furs that covered the mattress, and then he lay down next to her.

Lachlan easily hid the journal in a drawer next to the bed, and then he did not hesitate to take Kirstin into his arms. He put his chin atop her head and breathed in her sweet scent. Lachlan fell asleep to the sound of her beating heart.

v

Kirstin awoke in a daze. She had dreamt that she was being carried in the strong arms of an all too familiar highlander, and that she had awoken in a strange room. When her eyes had fully opened, she then realized that she had not been dreaming, because she was in a strange room.

Kirstin panicked, remembering her foolish act of falling asleep in the field after she had read another entry to Lachlan's journal. She quickly sat up from the bed and gazed around the unfamiliar room that lacked any presence but her own.

It was most certainly morning because the sun's rays beamed through the curtains. The light allowed Kirstin to observe the many dressers and shelves against the walls. She took notice to the adornments of fur covers and matching rugs scattered about.

Most importantly, Kirstin smelled the faint scent that reminded her of Lachlan. Even though he was not present, she knew without a doubt that she was in his sleeping chambers.

She slid off the side of the bed, her feet feeling cool against the wooden floors. There was only one thing on her mind, and that was to leave Lachlan's chambers before she ran into him.

The small blonde tiptoed to the cracked door. She cautiously opened it, knowing that the room was adjoining to Lachlan's study. Unfortunately for Kirstin, her most feared person sat at the desk near the far wall. He was yet again writing away at papers, but he looked up when Kirstin had opened the door.

His eyes slowly raked over her body, making Kirstin cower back. She did not enjoy the way he looked at her, even though her body shivered in pleasure as if disagreeing with her thoughts.

"Come here," he finally said, nodding to the chair across from him, "Sit."

Kirstin hesitantly made her way to the chair. She could remember the last time she had sat in the same chair, and the way he had caressed her cheek lovingly. Only mere minutes after that happened, she had an epiphany of his love for her.

His eyes did not leave her shaking form when she sat across from him. The only thing separating Lachlan from Kirstin now, was his desk. He gazed intently at her before asking, "Do ye ken why yer here?"

Kirstin frowned, "Aye," she said full of regret, "I fell asleep in the field."

His gaze was heavy and Kirstin could not read his expression. She assumed that he was beyond furious with her, and immediately rushed, "I apologize for my foolish actions -"

"Foolish?" he interrupted her, leaning back into his chair and crossing his arms, "'Tis but an understatement."

Kirstin's frown deepened and her eyebrows furrowed, but nevertheless, she bowed her head in sorrowful respect.

"Yer no' to leave the manor freely again unless I hear word of it." He boomed once more, "Do ye understand me, Kirstin?"

She did not raise her head to look at him, "Aye."

Lachlan must have stared at her for a long time, because Kirstin could feel his heavy eyes on her. When she finally mustered the courage to meet his gaze again, she saw the distressed look on his face.

"I ken ye might be upset with my rules, but ye must understand I do it for yer protection. There are ruthless men in the highlands, Kirstin. 'Tis no place like yer home beyond the hills."

She gave a curt nod but said nothing. She was clearly feeling regret and was upset not with Lachlan, but herself. The field was her safe haven; it was her place to relax away from her duties that tied her to the manor. She could still have the privilege of going to the field, if she had not fallen asleep in it.

Lachlan saw that Kirstin was internally battling with herself, and interrupted her thoughts, "I willna keep ye any longer. Yer free to leave, but report to Alana for she has been waiting for ye to go into town."

A small smiled etched its way onto her lips, as Kirstin felt relief that Lachlan was still allowing her to go into town with her friend. Even though it was apart of her duties, she was sure that he would deny her the opportunity.

Before she made leave, Lachlan said lowly, "And ye better no' do anything foolish."

Kirstin acknowledged his words, and then left.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

100 17 7
When Lachlan Morrison, a highland dancer from Canada moves to Lochmartin - a small town in the highlands of Scotland - he's met with new problems; he...
212 2 15
Book 3 in the Buying Time series - a Time Travel Romance Sarah is excited to move back home to Scotland to take over the archaeological dig in a medi...
135K 5.1K 12
Lady Scarlette is not a Lady like any other. She is wild and easier found running the grounds with her common-folk childhood friends from the "heathe...
16.7K 879 42
Set in the early 1950's Carn Mo'r is a romance set in the Ladder hills, in Scotland, in the heart of the old whiskey smugglers country. Badly wounde...