EZH #6: Storm Fortalejo [ON G...

By rosieia

He is Storm Fortalejo. Empire Zero's most important heir. An only child. Those are some of many reasons why h... More

Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

Chapter 1

1K 60 116
By rosieia

Chapter 1

-----

"You'll be marrying Storm next month."

Mabilis na napa angat ako ng tingin kay Daddy na hindi ko napansing nakasandal na pala sa door frame ng kwarto ko. I guess I spaced out again.

His words rang through my ears loudly that it made me shocked for a moment.

"What?" I gasped breathlessly, my face full of cofusion and disbelief. "Dad!" Naiiyak nang sabi ko. "Why?!"

I felt my still puffy eyes stung. I'm going to marry Storm?

Dad sighed. He pinched the bridge of his nose before he dropped his hands to his sides. He smiled at me sadly before making his way towards me. Daddy crouched down on the floor in front of me, holding both of my hands in his. I felt another sob make its way up my throat again.

"Wints... you know why." Namula ang gilid ng mga mata ni Daddy. "Your mom's dead..." He chocked out. "...and I need to secure your wellbeing."

"But dad," I whined. Tears were quick to stream down my face in heavy successions. "bakit si Storm pa?"

I knew from the start that sooner or later, this would happen to me. Our family wasn't a stranger to arranged marriages. Even my Mom and Dad met each other thru it.

My mothers death just sped up the process. And that being the reason made it much worse than what an arrange marriage initially entailed for me.

Because if I needed to be married off for the sake of the company, I was very much willing. But now... now that it was weighing heavier on me. Because now, I won't be just doing it for the family.

I was doing it because my mother was dead.

Nagyakap kami ni Daddy at umiyak kaming dalawa sa arms ng isa't isa. The reality slowly sunk down on the two of us. We just lost one of the most important person for the both of us and it was too soon.

I wasn't ready. I wasn't even thinking about it.

Adding to the hurt was the fact that we couldn't mourn as much as we could. No. There were important things to be settled so that we wouldn't be buried to the ground after them soon.

Not to mention who they wanted me to be married to.

Storm Fortalejo was my super best friend since babyhood. He was always there whenever I need him, literally and in all other sense of the word. In fact, kakauwi nya lang because he stayed the whole duration of my Mom's five days wake. We just got home from her burial. Hinatid muna ako ni Storm dito sa bahay bago siya talaga umuwi sa kanila. He's the sweetest.

He hasn't even slept properly in days, just so he could make sure that I had someone with me.

How could I... how could I put on more of my burden to him?

"Bakit hindi, iha?" Dad said, snapping me back to the moment. "He's your best friend. You'll be comfortable with him. Besides, the Fortalejo's are willing to take you in. Your Tita Rain loves you for her son. And you love him, too. Am I right?"

Tumango ako, mas dumami ang pumatak na luha. They chased each other down my cheeks.

"I love him dad," I sobbed helplessly. "but not in the way you think! I love him as a friend! Not as a man!"

I cried again. I just lost my mom from a murder spree. Hindi lang ako ang nawalan ng magulang. Pati mga pinsan ko. Mga parents lang ni ate Demi yung natira. Tapos ito naman?

"Anak." Dad went to his knees so he could reach me better and hugged me tight. He caressed my back as he whispered to my ear. "This is for the best. The company's unstable. Your Lola has been very busy."  Binitiwan ako ni Daddy, just so he could look at my face. He wiped as much of my tears that he could while he was also crying silently himself. "The members of the board are arguing every passing day. They want to take over the Montellado Group. I want to make sure that your share will be safe. Ayakong mapunta sa wala ang pinaghirapan ng Mommy mo. Please understand, Iha."

"I'll think about it." I relented. Nahihirapan din si daddy. Making him see that it wasn't affecting me that much, and that I was ready to consider it, could make him worry less.

Tumango lang si Daddy, a sorry, small smile on his lips. He pecked my cheek affectionately bago siya tumayo at lumabas ng kwarto ko. He would probably go to Lola and tell her my decision.

Nagkulong ako sa loob ng kwarto ko. I had no plans of going out. I coukdn't stop thinking about what has happened and what will happen in the future.

Kaya ko bang pakasalan si Storm? That sweet, sweet guy. Alam kong the moment na malaman niya ang tungkol dito, papayag agad 'yun.

He never said no to his parents. He never said no when it came to me. He loves me like a sister. Yun lang ang love na meron kami.

Platonic.

Pero ayoko rin namang mapunta sa wala ang pinaghirapan ni Mommy at ng mga tito at tita ko. Montellado Group was their life. Halos doon na nila binuhos lahat ng oras at pagod nila. But despite of all of those things, our company was still not strong enough. Strong enough to stand and operate on its own, without the help of outsider companies, but not strong enough to shoo the termites within. A reason why hours later, Lola came to see and talk to me.

I didn't realize I feel asleep crying until one of the maids woke me up and told me Lola was waiting in Dad's home office. I quickly dressed properly and went to meet her. I checked the time and immediately got anxious since it was already late, ten in the evening to be exact.

"Winter." Lola breathed out when I entered the office. "I know your dad already told you about the company's situation."

I flinched. Lola didn't even try to ease my down first. She was always straight to the point.

"Yes, Lola." I answered, my voice small like always when I talk to her. "He told me about the marriage also."

Tumungo ako, the floor suddenly more interesting than Lola's face that put pressure in me the more that I look at her.

"Iha, I'm begging you. Please say yes." She said. Her voice sounded tired. "For me and for all the Montellado's."

Nag angat ako ng tingin. I was suddenly taken a back when I saw Lola's face. She was already teary eyed. That... I haven't seen her like that, ever.

I couldn't understand.

"Why Lola?" Kinakabahan ko nang tanong. I glanced at Dad but he was looking outside so wala akong nagawa kung hindi ibalik ang tingin kay Lola. "Is there something far worse than what I already know?"

Lola nodded hesitantly.

"The company's very unstable as of the moment, Iha. There are more problems regarding it. The board members are all against your cousins taking over their respective companies. Gusto nila na sila na ang magpatakbo ng mga iyon with the pretense na hanggang mag legal age lang ang mga pinsan mo. Which I don't believe." The look in Lola's eyes hardened. I was again in front of the strong matriarch of our family. "Our family owns all of it. Kami ng Lolo at mga Tito at Tita mo ang nagpakahirap para mapalaki kung ano man ang meron tayo ngayon. I cannot let anyone take all of those companies away from your cousins."

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko. Parang hindi ako makahinga.

The mess was bigger than what I've expected. I thought... I thought sa mother company lang ang problema. But... my cousins. Nasa alanganin din ang posisyons nila?

"And another thing was your safety. Naipadala ko na sa isla ang mga pinsan mo kanina pa." She contunued, unaware of the surprise that I felt. She clearly had no idea that it affected me a lot, too. "All of you got death threats over your heads. Even Demi's there. Kakarating lang nila doon bago tayo magsimula magusap."

Lola was talking about the other island we own na hindi gaanong private. It was an island resort na mga member lang ang pwedeng mag-access. Still under development at wala pa mastadong amenities.

Para akong natuliro bigla. Wala akong masabi, I couldn't even nod or react anything.

Lola looked at me in the eyes.

"Your marriage will solve everything, apo. The Fortalejo's are very powerful. Idagdag mo pa ang mga companies ng Empire Zero. And also, kapag naikasal kayo ni Storm, Fortalejo's will take over your Mom's company. Pero hindi nila iyon aangkinin, sila lang ang magpapatakbo. You know how Rain loves your Mom. Mag best friend sila at noon pa lang ay tuwang tuwa na ako sa bond nilang dalawa."

"And maybe, just maybe." Singit ni Dad. Kanina pa siya tahimik sa may bintana at mukhang may malalim na iniisip habang nakikinig pala sa usapan namin ni Lola. "The death threats for you and your cousins will stop. Hula namin, galing lang sa matataas na board members ang nagpapadala noon. If they were to find out na nakatali na ang isang company Montellado group sa Empire Zero, baka matakot na silang galawin kayo."

Lola nodded in agreement. Napatungo na lang ako. The situation was too heavy for me to carry it all by myself.

I... I completely understand the severity of the situation and it was very hard for me to carry it all by my self.

Such a selfish thought. But could I be blamed? I was... I was just a teen ager.

The short moment of silence got interrupted by the phone when it rang. Dad recieved the call since he was the nearest to it. The call was from downstairs.

"Yes?" Sagot ni Daddy. He paused to listen to what the person on the other line said. "Send him here." Utos ni Daddy sa nasa kabilang linya. He put the phone down and looked at me. "Storm's here. You can decide together."

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko. Alam na ni Storm? Agad agad? The thought was still absurd for me but Storm's here already for us to decide?

Why was this happening to me?

Hindi man lang ako binigyan ng chance na mag isip nang ako lang.

As if everything was giving me signs that I didn't really had a choice.

A knock from the door made me flinch. Bumukas iyon at halos maiyak na naman ulit ako.

"Good evening po." Magalang na bati ni Storm kina Lola at Daddy.

I... I couldn't even look at him.

"Iho, maupo ka." Lola said. Her voice sounded relieved. Gusto kong umiyak sa implication noon.

There wasn't really any other way around this, was there?

Umupo naman si Storm. I couldn't decide if it helped that he sat beside me or it was the opposite.

"Maiwan muna namin kayo para makapagusap kayo nang maayos." Lola said with finality.

Hindi niya ako inutusan na kumbinsihin si Storm, but it sounded like it.

Lola and Daddy went out of the room. Instantly ay naging awkward 'yung atmosphere. Pinilit ko na 'wag pumatak ang mga luha ko.

Never naging awkward sa pagitan namin ni Storm. Ngayon lang.

And I already hated the feeling.

"So, marry me?" Storm asked out of the blue. I bit my lower lip hard that I already tasted blood.

"Will you be okay with it?" I asked. I began fidgeting with my fingers. Sa fingers ko rin lang ako nakatingin. I couldn't look at him.

I gasped when Storm held my chin and made me look at him straight in his big, doe eyes.

"Look at me while you're talking to me. Winter, wala pa nga, e. We aren't even married yet. Why are you being so shy?" Storm said with an exaggerated pout. Napangiti ako bigla.

He never failed to make me smile, always.

He has his ways to make everything feel lighter for me. I could already feel that he was helping me carry everything.

I'm not alone now. Storm's with me on this.

"I'll do everything if that's for you, Wints." He said, looking directly into my eyes. My heart beat became abnormal for the first time around him.

"Aww, sweet nito talaga." I said, almost jumping him for a hug. I hugged him mainly for comfort. But that wasn't the only reason.

I did it because I couldn't take his stares anymore. I was also aiming for the abnormal beating of my heart to stop. But the moment I hugged him, lalo lang bumilis ang tibok ng puso ko.

"Your heart beats so fast Wints, okay ka lang?" He asked worriedly. Inihiwalay ako ni Storm sa kanya, just enough to see my face, both of his arms still around my waist. He was looking at me with eyes full of worry.

"I'm fine. Pressured lang siguro me." I answered, my voice tired and small.

"You sound tired. Did you even manage to sleep?" Tanong niya. Tumango ako as an answer but instead of being contented, he frowned. "I'm assuming you haven't rested enough." Tumayo si Storm, hawak ang kamay ko at hinihila na ako patayo. "Come on. Higa tayo sa kama mo."

Tumayo na ako at pumayag sa gusto niya. It wasn't the first time Storm requested for us to lay down. For a guy, Storm loved to hug and cuddle.

Pagdating sa kwarto ko ay sa kama kami dumiretso. It wasn't awkward anymore.

Inalis ni Storm ang sandals ko bago niya hinubad ang suot niyang shoes and jacket. Not long after ay nakahiga na kami, Storm engulfing me in his embrace.

I sighed in relief. Ngayon ay nararamdaman ko nang gumaan lahat ng problema ko. Sure, we haven't done anything as a solution yet but Storm's presence brought calm in me.

Ironic. He was Storm but he brought me calm.

Tahimik kaming dalawa. I breathed his natural scent in, making me almost boneless. Storm hummed some tune that wasn't really in any song, his hand caressing my back softly.

"Wints, say yes." Bulong ni Storm. "To the marriage."

Pumikit ako. I shuddered a bit, trying to keep in my tears.

"But how about you?" I asked.
"Pano na 'yung freedom mo na pumili ng girl para sa 'yo?"

I was planting doubts in him regarding this marriage. Makitaan ko lang siya nang kahit kaunting hesitation, I'm going to say no.

Because that meant we both didn't wanted this.

Storm chuckled, his hold on me tightening. He laid back down flat on his back, making me lay half on top of him.

"I can sacrifice myself if that means saving you Wints." He whispered. I could feel his lips moving on the top my head. "That's how important you are to me. I can let you borrow a part of my life that I don't need yet." He sighed before moving me. Inangat niya ako nang kaunti hanggang sa pantay na ang faces namin. "Kaya um-oo ka na, utang na loob. Before I die of worry for you."

He told me those words without any hint of hesitation of his face. I sniffled, hindi nahihiya kahit makita pa ni Storm ang sipon ko. Normal naman na ganito sa akin si Storm simula pa noong bata pa kami. This was not the first time that he worried this much for me.

Hindi 'to ang unang beses na ganyan siya kaseryoso kapag kausap ako. His own father taught him to be serious about what he would say and own up to them.

He had promised me a lot of things, saved me a lot of times.

But this was the first time that he was going through this much lengths just for me.

Just for a best friend.

Hindi ako nakasagot. I really didn't know what to say.

"Promise you'll say yes, Wints." Pinunasan ni Storm ang pisngi ko na basa na pala ulit ng luha. I didn't know I was already crying.

It seemed like crying was the only response I could do.

"Okay." I managed to croak out after a minute. Storm tightened his hold on me again, my face pressed to the crook of his neck. Our legs also tangled.

"Everything is going to be fine, Wints. We're in this together. Best friends pa rin tayo. Nothing will change."

I could feel Storm's relieved smile and thankfully, I managed to smile with him as well.

Days passed after that and plans were all laid down.

"Take care of yourself, okay?" Storm said as he see me off. Mahigpit ang kapit niya sa kamay ko. "Don't swim alone in the sea, baka masaksak ka ng swordfish."

I snorted at what he said. These days, he always made sure to put a smile on my face. I want him to see that his ways were working, because they were.

We were at the airport. Hinatid niya ako sa private plane na gagamitin ko papunta sa isla. One week muna ang nakalipas bago pa ako pinasunod sa mga pinsan ko roon. We took care a lot of things first before I was okay to go. Mostly were preparations for the secret wedding and such. Secret dahil mga pamilya lang namin ang may alam and of course, the companies' board members.

Lola was very happy after I said yes to the wedding. Halatang malaking burden ang naalis sa kanya.

Seeing her react like that made me feel like what decision I made was thr right one.

All papers regarding the technicalities were also taken care of. Our lawyers were having busy days for the merging and such.

Hindi ko na iyon masyadong inintindi. Aside from Storm who wouldn't let me stress over that aspect, I didn't really knew anything about it. Kaya roon na lang ako nag focus sa kung alin ang may alam ako, kung saan ako kailangan.

"I will." I squeezed Storm's hand. "Ingat ka rin dito. And don't worry too much. Walang makakagalaw sa akin doon."

"I'd like to see them try." He said, tone very serious. Niyakap ko na lang si Storm to sooth him.

I knew he was just worried. Halos ayaw nga akong mawala sa paningin niya. I could understand since the threats were still pretty much there.

Wala pa namang masamang nangyayari, but the danger was still lurking out there

Storm held my face in his hand and before I even realized what he was doing, his face was already extremely close to mine. Napatili ako nang mangyari nga ang naisip kong mangyayari.

Storm bit my nose! Again!

"Storm!" I whined. He laughed at me.

"Rudolf!" He teased. Inilapit pa ang mukha sa leeg ko bago niya ako kinagat sa shoulders. I punched him on his chest. He only laughed loudly as he caught my wrist effortlessly.

Iyon ang inabutang eksena ni Daddy. Natawa na lang din siya sa akin.

"Daddy!" I whined, sinusubukang makawala kay Storm na dalawang kamay ko na ang hawak. "Kinagat na naman ako ni Storm!"

How could I forget that Storm has a habit of biting me?! Siya lang mainly ang cause ng mga maliit na pasa ko sa katawan minsan kasi ang hilig niya mangagat!

Umiling lang si Daddy, a fond smile plastered on his face.

"Kids." He murmured.

At first, I had wondered why my Dad never seemed too against me marrying my best friend.

Maybe this was the reason.

Storm and I were extremely close since we were babies and he wasn't really shy in showing other people how comfortable he was with me. That included how sweet he was. Kahit may kaharap kaming ibang tao, Storm didn't shy away. People around us were aware how he takes care of me. How close we were. And Storm's a naturally sweet person. Hindi rin secret ang pagiging clingy niya sa akin.

Kaya siguro okay lang kay Daddy na makasal kami kahit wala kaming relasyon talaga.

Hindi na kami masyadong nakapagusap pa ni Storm. Sumakay na ako sa private plane and we took off. Kasama ko si Daddy since siya ang maghahatid sakin sa island mismo. Gusto nga nila na si Storm na lang. But I refused.

This and the days to come were my last days of being single. Of being Winter Montellado. Because, the moment I come back to Manila, we will fly abroad where the wedding would take place. Kaya gusto ko nang sulitin.

Hindi ko pinasama si Storm because I wanted to savor my remaining days of being a Montellado.

Because after this, in less than three weeks, iba na ang magiging buhay ko.

By that time, I would already be Winter Montellado-Fortalejo.

*****

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 4.6K 53
The Madrid-Esquival siblings Nora, Fort, and Ansel, find love through their phones...and go from there. *** Nora's crush on her older brother's teamm...