The Rebound Theory

By anjalisinha

It's the freshman year of high school. Aashi is confused. Everything is changing. But, one thing that she co... More

Prologue
01 | Aashi
02| Aashi
03| Neel
O4| Aashi
05| Aashi
06 | Aashi
07| Aashi
08| Aashi
09| Aashi
10| Neel
12|Aashi
13| Aashi
14| NEEL
15| AASHI

11| Neel

6 2 0
By anjalisinha

Chapter-11 (NEEL)

*"What. . . what in the fucking hell?"*

*"What? This is not real. This couldn't be real."*

*"No. . .no. . ."*

*"Hell no."*

*"My beautiful baby."*

"*Oh, no, this isn't supposed to happen. How could they?"* Rohit is slamming the doors of his red Audi, then pivots and runs his fingers through his messy hair. His hands reach for his phone peeking out of the jeans' back pocket but then, him looking like he is about to throw it away into the wilderness is a clear indication of the wrath he is trying to keep at bay.

But with what looks like a quick change of heart, his right hand picks it out.

From where I can see, he has a tight grip on his phone, so much so, that his knuckles turn red. He looks like a freaking, ticking time bomb, his facial features contorting into malice, then turning into a deep shade of crimson.

He's running around his car haywire, looking around franticallyand slapping the car's hood in the end, when he finds out that there's nothing that can be done now.
It's futile.
His efforts for today have gone to an utter and complete waste. I made sure of that.

What I didn't predict was him dropping down to his knees, which he does, defying my asssumptions about him. Panicked and defeated, bowing his head, even a stray tear or too, or it's just an illusion my head is painting for me.

He gets up, and lashes out at the nearby people who are passing by and stopping next to his car trying to grasp the situation, and then someone tries to sympathise with him, by putting their arms on his shoulders. He pushes the person away with an ample amount of force which knocks this kind person onto the ground.

They back off pissed, in an obvious ridiculed distaste in their mouths,
bad- mouthing him. His little transgression might've put him in a hell lot of trouble, if there were any cops around but the asshole is lucky.

Rohit again drops to the ground, inspecting the engine and rubbing his hands on his faded jeans with obvious bleach,
trying to check for any more damages to his beloved car. However, it's too late.

He gets up looking antsy, turns around to search people watching. . . but haha, we are at a far distance from his location but it's a good hiding place with an easy access to where he's standing and mourning.

His right hand slaps his forehead in exasperation. Then, his right hand drops, as he makes the face of one who's just gotten an idea. He shoves the phone back into his jeans and pushes his hand to his face and lets *out* a bloodcurdling scream.

                      ***

# 2 hours earlier#

"Baby, I think we should get an extra diet- soda. You really think he will show up right?" Saheema's voice reverberates the chilly insides of Arjun's car. He has pumped the A.C. to the maximum because it's quite a bit sunny, and let's face it, India is burning all year round.

"I don't think so, I will develop a cold. And, yes, he will show up. I know that fucker, as you like to call him."

"But... don't you think he will be a tinee- tiny bit suspicious?" She puts two fingers in front of my face, and showcases the distance between her forefinger and her thumb.

"I hope not, babe. Then, I'll think you've betrayed me. And, you know how much I hate backstabbers!?"

"I know babe," she rubs her fingers on my jaw to calm me down, "but it's just that... never mind, I'll just text him again to show up exactly at 6:30 pm."

"Good."

"Why are you such a good girl, Saheema?" Arjun opens the driver seat's door of his car, leaning in peeking a wary glance at her.

"I am. Do you have a problem with that?"

"No, you are too nice."

I nod my head at them, looking outside and waiting for the plan to unfold.

*She's too nice for anyone, Arjun.*

                          ****

Ugly hope breeds eternal misery. I guess it was hope that Rohit was after. A flicker of hope of love in Saheema's eyes, a flicker of hope of warmth in Saheema's heart.

Boy, was he mistaken.

Saheema didn't take a minute to think about how her decisions will affect Rohit in the long run. She didn't long for his perspective or love; if that's I've misconstrued in the beginning. She was one shady, heartless girl who didn't care what came her way when she wanted something.

And right in this moment, she wanted to redeem herself in my eyes, that I can look upon her and think of her as someone trustworthy. But, she didn't know a thing about what I really cared about. I would never trust her. Not now, not in a million years.

"Yeah Rohit, yes, yes, I said 6:30. Be there, yes, I'll get there. You don't have to pick me," she twirls a loose strand of hair between her fingertips, when Rohit says something, to which she smacks her lips, "I MISSED YOU TOO!"

And with that, she drops the call and snuggles into my shoulder.

"Are we doing okay?"

"Yes we are," I smile and place an arm around her shoulder, "I just got a call from Aamir. He says they bleached everything in sight."

A glossy look of surprise entangled with excitement runs her features, she suddenly sits up straight in her seat and looks at me with her long lashes, "Wow, they really did!?"

I nod my head at her and nuzzle my fingers on the gear, smirking at the godforsaken, awesome prank that I've schemed.

"They really bleached his entire car?" Evilness twinkled in her brown eyes.

"Yep, yep and yep."

"OMG, I can't believe this!"

"You better do, C'mere," I pull her in my shoulders to get the small red bow she's wearing in her hair out silently.

She leans into me, unaware and unsuspecting, but then pushes hard on my chest, "not just yet, Mr. NEEL. First, you gotta gimme a kiss."

"Not here, sweetie," I smile at her and nodding at Arjun, who's plopped against the hood, sipping his soda. "Just wait for tonight," I add in a husky tone, and for an extra effect, I squeeze her thighs.

"I'll wait for you, tiger."

With that, I was a loss of words and start fiddling with my phone, then opening my text to invite Arjun back in to save me. Thank goodness, he obliges.

                           ****

"Don't you wanna watch how this goes down?" My friends' texts vibrates the cushioned black seats of the car, and I can over it with a half - conscious eye. I don't know when or how I took a shut- eye for the last thirty minutes while Saheema and Arjun were gone to get a bite to eat. Maybe, it was the cranked up A.C. that's making me so comfortable and sleepy. But, Arjun's car has always been this comfortable.

I text back, "I won't miss it for the world."

A new text vibrates the cup holder, while I find a bottle of water and splash some through the window. I retrieve the phone and slip out of the car, to stretch my limbs and to get some fresh air into my lungs. Pollution - filled air nonetheless.

I open the text, it says, "Well, the target just entered the mall."

I quickly text him back saying, "Let him wander around for fifteen to twenty minutes, he'll know his fate."

"LOL, can't wait for the look on his face."

"Si."

"Let's see."

"Yeah." And with the last text, I see Saheema and Arjun emerging from a sea of strangers from the front sliding doors of the mall. "Shit!" "Shit!" "Fuck!"

*Have they both lost their minds? Couldn't they find any outdoor restaurants?*

I'm pissed at their stupidity and obvious ignorance. Thank god, Rohit hasn't seen them together yet or he would've stuck like a leech in Saheema's toes.

They both laugh and make animated gestures as they walk towards me and our parked car in the back of the mall hidden with long Sequoia and palm trees.

"Why are you outside in this bone chilling heat?" Arjun throws this question like a speedo in front of my face, while I glare at both of them simultaneously.

"Get in. BOTH OF YOU."

"Okay, chill. Chill. We just went in the mall for some wraps." Saheema coos and bats her eyelashes as if it'll melt my anger. I'm getting more annoyed with her with every passing minuit, as she tries to act like an East Asian cartoon. Hell, this ain't anime, this is real life.

"I don't care," I try to keep my anger in check with her, I don't need her running to Rohit upset and ruiningg this plan, which had literally taken my whole day, "just get in. Rohit just entered the mall ten minutes ago. It's a miracle he hasn't seen you both together."

"Okay," her voice is just a whisper, "I didn't mean to, you know."

"It's okay," I nod my head towards the car door, and I finally relax my muscles, because handling her feels like I'm talking derivatives with a five year old.

"Where is he?" Arjun's voice cuts through the silence, while with folded hands I lean and process everything at the back of my head.

"He must be here in a few minutes. Stay in. I'll be back in a min or two."

"Where you going?" Saheema tugs my sleeve from the front passenger's seat.

"I'll be back. I just need something to drink. I'm thirsty."

"Oh, okay, come back soon, I miss you." I push the urge to throw up down in my throat because all I can think about how I'm betraying Aashi somehow. But, this needed to be done. Rohit should be taught a lesson. And, I know somewhere inside my heart, no matter whatever Aashi says in front of Rohit, she will never really hurt him willingly.

The thought of that gives me the fuel to sneak to Rohit's car, with Saheema's shiny red bow glittering in my left palm.

Within a matter of seconds, I'm the part of the rush, the crowd of the evening movie watchers who are guzzling, talking, slurping and laughing about the latest Ranveer Singh movie. Just where Rohit's car is parked, a bunch of scrawny kids are hovering and eating icecream.

*Can't they smell bleach? Or, Aamir didn't see it through?*

So, I buy a icecream sandwich from a nearby stand and move behind the kids and a few aunties who are discussing the latest trend in sarees, and take a quick glance at Rohit's car.

I suck in a breath, unable to control my laughter.

*Good thing, Rohit runs his weights in a gym nearby. The kid is going to be so heartbroken.*

I lick my icecream sandwich and glaze at the marvel of the prank present before me. With the kids moving to the other side of the car, I slide the red bow through the little opening of the backseat window just like I asked Aamir to leave it.

*The leather seats, the cup holder, the gears, the steering wheel, the door handles, everything is covered in bleach. Everything is ruined.*

As I lean in closer to the window, a strong gust of the wind carries the awful stench of bleach into my uninviting nostrils. I wrap my hands around my torso, and see if anybody has noticed it. Nobody seems taken aback or out of place, so I decide to get back to Arjun's car.

I walk away, throwing the wrapper into the nearest dustbin, once again and blending in with the crowd and coming out back to my car unscathed.

"Want to watch how your plan goes down?" Saheema's voice is full of teasing, anticipated disaster and something more.

"Hell yeah," I giddily laugh and Arjun joins me. We both share a look which says, 'he's going down'.

"Then get in, here he comes.

# Now#

"Ooh, he seems so heartbroken." Saheema nods at the scene that Rohit is creating in the middle of the traffic laden, busy road.

"Are you feeling bad, babe?" I take her hands in mine and ask her sincerely.

"Not at all. Not at all." Saheema's brown eyes twinkle like scattered stars in the dark, deceitful, looming sky.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

850K 36.1K 48
Some love stories have unexpected beginnings. Some love stories have unexpected endings. A life changing episode changes the life of Rohan and Anjali...
59.3K 5.2K 56
Ranked #59 (21-May-2018) Aashi Sharma, a fresher in college. In same college where her cousin Noor is already studying and is her senior, sadly both...
60.5K 2.7K 43
What happens when two opposite people meet? Will they fall in love or will the gap widen even more? Love is the last thing on the minds of the two wh...
53.6K 6.5K 33
It may feel good to be pretty, but the problem with being beautiful is that there are thousands of people who look like you. Ugliness, however, is un...