Loyalty Or Honour (Book 3)

By randomthoughts96

The time has come for Hunter, the only illegitimate son of the late Lord Usani, to know the true meaning of f... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Important.
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Author's Note
Family With Honour
Bear's story

Chapter Thirty Six

4.6K 468 69
By randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Theodore winces as the needle pierces his skin, dragging the fine thread through his flesh. The thread goes from an off white to a pale red. The physician continues to neatly pierce the skin and gentle pull it to the skin on the other side of wound. Theodore grips the table that he has sat on. The worst pain has already passed but it still stings with a vengeance. The liquid he had poured into it had made him want to yell out with fresh agony. It had almost made him empty his stomach contents. He had held it together and now he simply needs to wait for the stitching to be finished.

Orion frowns and leans against the wall beside the door. Theodore looks over in his direction. "Are you going to stand there breathing heavy the whole time?" The physician looks up in surprise and a flitter of fear. When he sees where the prince's agitation is aimed, he relaxes.

"Your highness..." Orion starts. Theodore groans and raises his hand to cut him off.

"Have you finished?" He asks the physician who warily nods as he ties the knot on the thread. "Leave us." He orders. The physician gathers his bits and pieces and scampers from the room. Theodore slowly rotates his shoulder, wincing with the pain. However it is manageable. He stands and reaches for his shirt.

"Theo." Orion speaks. The prince glances at him, this time without irritation. "What happened?"

"Somehow someone knew exactly where I was going this morning; they even knew my route and the time I would get there. We were ambushed and it is only because of my men's quick thinking that we escaped with our lives. There were many of them and very few of us." Theodore answers, his jaw ticking with annoyance and anger. "Two of our men are still laid on the ground back there. Please arrange for their bodies to be fetched."

"You do not think it was a coincidence?"

"Not a chance. We have a traitor here. It should be easy enough to find out whom. Not many knew where I was going this morning. My men, that are still alive, need to be questioned...as does my betrothed." He pulls his shirt over his head, ignoring the blood stain. "I spoke with her about my schedule after the ball to see when we could spend time together." Theodore shakes his head and sighs loudly. "Her correspondence?"

"I have read through it all. There is nothing in it that would raise concern and I see no special code hidden within it." Orion tells him honestly.

"Then we can only hope that my fears are unfounded. When she is found innocent, the wedding must be brought forward. I need an heir to my throne in case anything should happen to me." Theodore speaks his thoughts out loud and Orion nods slowly. "Why the hesitation?"

Do you have another woman suitable in the unlikely situation that she is guilty?" Orion asks. Theodore rubs his eyes and grimaces as the movement pushes a little blood through the stitches. It is missing a covering but the physician had been too frightened to remain beside the irate prince.

"If she is found guilty the last thing I shall be considering is a wife. I shall be making an example of what happens to people who betray me." Theodore coldly states. Orion nods. "Where is she? It should not take Lady Arisxandre this long to relay a message and get her down here."

"I shall see what the delay is." Orion says before he leaves.

It is only a few minutes later when Hunter and Arabella enter the room. She rushes to his side, her expression concerned. He forces his face to not look at her with suspicion. Instead he nods at Hunter, "Mr North, you may wait outside." Hunter exits, leaving the door open.

"You should not be standing." Arabella tells her fiancé and directs him to take a seat. "You will have lost a lot of blood...what happened?"

"We were ambushed. Three of my men are dead and the rest of us barely escaped with our lives. Their intention was to kill me, I am almost sure of it." Arabella's heart stutters on the 'almost'. Does he suspect another intention? "I will survive; it is a mere knife wound." Theodore assures her as he sees the look of worry enter her eyes. She smiles lightly.

"Of course you will be." She places her hand in his and squeezes. He studies her face discreetly and then wraps his arm around her. She settles into his side away from the blood. "I am so sorry for the lives your men have lost. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain?"

"Please just stay by my side." He utters softly. She nods and they stay there for a while. Eventually though Theodore removes his arm from her shoulders and stands. She looks up at him with anxious orbs of pure chocolate. He brushes a lock of hair behind her ear. "I hope to see you for dinner tonight. For now I must discuss my next action with my father and my advisers."

"Of course." He takes her hand and kisses the back of it. She forces a smile despite the guilt wrestling around in her stomach. Then he strides out. Arabella follows him out and watches him stride down the hallway. Hunter has been joined by Orion and she knows they are there to escort her back to her room.

Theodore glances over his unharmed shoulder to see her gliding away with her guards. He frowns. He is not convinced her worry was for him. It almost came at the wrong time. It seemed more like worry for herself. Something within her expressions has given him reason to doubt her. He shakes those thoughts away. If she is an innocent then he would rather not have such thoughts about her. But he must know.

"Prince Theodore." She suddenly appears at his side, tears in her eyes but otherwise composed.

"Miss Beatrice Frith. Your brother will survive; he has a few scratches but nothing serious." Theodore comforts her; he knows why she will be so scared.

"Thank you, your highness, but I have already made myself aware of that. He is whining as usual." Beatrice admits. Theodore smiles. She does not return it. "You told me to come to you if I suspected anything of Lady Arabella."

Theodore stops and bites his lip. He frowns and nods and opens a door to their left. He gestures for her to enter first. She strides in to a small elegant sitting room. She takes a seat and crosses her ankles, her hands resting joined on her lap. Theodore takes a seat opposite her, only after closing and locking the door behind him. "Is this about the attack?" Beatrice's forehead creases.

"No, your..."

"Drop the titles for a moment, miss." Theodore commands. Her eyes widen but she inclines her head in acceptance.

"It is not about the attack. I know nothing about it and I doubt Arabella does either." Beatrice reassures him. Theodore leans back against the back of the seat. "She has...displayed emotions towards another." Beatrice admits. Theodore frowns and leans forward, his elbows resting on his knees. "She has kissed another."

"Who?" Theodore barks. Beatrice gulps and her hands shake on her lap. Theodore takes the more compassionate route. "I apologise. I did not mean to scare you. Has it gone any further than a kiss?"

"Not as far as I am aware. She appears to be fighting to remain loyal to you but I fear she may have succumbed to pure attraction and danger. My loyalty to you demands that I tell you this but my loyalty to her... I hate betraying her trust."

"I understand." Theodore calmly says. "I appreciate that you have the courage and strength to come to me. I promise that you shall be rewarded for this greatly."

"I feared their attraction had been growing for several days. However I had nothing to be sure of so I did not say anything. However upon seeing my brother among those injured I grew faint. I must have lost consciousness for a few minutes for when I woke...they were speaking and standing ever so close. He kissed her...then she kissed him..." she trails off, her tone awkward.

"Who is the man that she has fallen for?"

"Mr Hunter North." She almost silently replies. Theodore's jaw tightens but he keeps his outward appearance calm.

"Thank you, Miss Beatrice." Theodore rises to his feet and extends his hand to her to help her stand. She searches his face, much too obviously for him not to notice.

"What do you intend to do?" Beatrice softly questions.

"You must return to your post but you must not say a word of this to anyone else. Arabella must never know that you saw or that you told me. I need time to process this information and decide on my next move. I am not willing to lose Arabella you can be assured of that." He tells her. Beatrice nods and drops into a curtsey. Theodore goes to the door first, unlocks it, and opens it. She hurries out. He groans once she is out of sight. If she can betray him in one way, there is little chance she would have issue betraying him in another.

"Hunter North." He says out loud. "Orion's brother." He sighs. He cannot allow this to stand. Annoyingly though he has to consider the man who has been his friend for years. He has to think of Orion who has stood by him and has sacrificed much to get his assignments completed. He would be in his rights to rid himself of Hunter by a public death. However would it be worth it? He could lose a valued member, someone he trusts. No, he must find a way to do this quietly.

Plus, there is also the fact that Arabella will make the perfect Queen. If he can dispose of Hunter quietly he may not have to cancel the wedding. She will have to be loyal then. She will have to follow orders then. This was never going to be a marriage of love. Theodore had accepted that a long time ago when his parents chose her for him. He had thought maybe affection or respect would grow. Perhaps it still could. But now there will be no false hoping. It is time for him to take charge.

Of course, she would still need to be punished. But would not losing the man she has developed feelings for do that? And if he is there to comfort her... then he will be in full control. It is too late to cancel the engagement. Tongues would wag and people would seek to find his family's weakness. He had been a fool to give her a way out a few days ago but his kindness had forced him to do so. Now she must pay the price. She must marry him.

The people had not taken kindly to when his father had ordered a man killed. They forgave because he forgave his wife.

History must not repeat itself, at least not in others' eyes.

Theodore marches to his rooms. A plan is forming in his mind. He must find men who he trusts to put it into action. Orion must be kept unaware.

Could this have gone any other way? Nope, it really could not have...You play with fire and you will get burnt.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.7K 2.7K 31
(Series) Lady Rose Hamilton the daughter of Duke Hamilton a well-known intimidating titled man but behind that cold ice face he didn't hide to love...
166K 6.1K 22
Quintessential Dynasty Series|| Book 2|| Lorenzo Santini|| 18+ Please note that you must read book 1, Deception before you read this book. ••• Weddin...
1.7M 67.9K 58
[COMPLETED] Wattys2018 Shortlist! PROMOTED ON COSMOPOLITAN.COM Highest rank #6 on Chicklit What's Hot List FOLLOW ME FOR EXCLUSIVE UPDATES ❤ ...
5.1K 155 26
Tagalog/English "Paghihigantihan kita Allen Romuladez!" ito ang mga katagang binitawan ni Geraldine when she made the vow of ruining the man he despi...