The Baby Project

By DroppedJem

When it comes to seventeen-year-olds Aurora “Rory” West and Kale Mathews, there is no such thing as the conce... More

Preview (Character Information)
Prologue
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4+5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 8 Continued
Day 9
Day 10
Day 11+12
Day 12 Continued [Part 1]
Day 12 Continued [Part 2]
Day 13
Day 14 (Preview)
Day 14 (Full)
Day 14 Continued (Special Announcement: Now Closed)
Day 14 Continued (Part II)
Rory and Liam (Contest Winner!) Not a real chapter!
Day 15
Day 16 (Part 1)
Day 16 (Part 2)
Day 16 (Part 3)
Day 17
Day 18
Day 18 (Night Scene)
Day 18 (Night Scene Continued)
Day 19 (Part 1)
Day 19 (Part 2)
Day 20
Day 21
Day 22 (Part 1)
Day 22 (Part 2)
Part 2 (Flashback)
Part 3 (Flashback)
Information
Day 25
Not A Chapter

Part 1 (Flashback)

266K 5.8K 1K
By DroppedJem

Hello! New update as promised! :)

1) Just a brief synopsis of the future updates: These next three chapters (starting with this one) will be Rory's flashback from the previous days. This particular chapter starts out on Day 22- during the meeting with Julian. The next chapter will be a flashback from Day 23. The third chapter will be Day 24. After that, the story will continue as normal until Day 30. I hope this makes sense, but if not- just message me and I will explain again in the update tomorrow night.

2) I know there hasn't been much of the baby, however, I will add more in during the end chapters of the book. Also, when I go back in to edit (with the help of my awesome editors), I will add more baby scenes throughout the whole book.

3) Please don't feel discouraged if I don't answer your messages because simply get too many to keep track of all of them. However, I do try my best to answer as many as I can. 

If you really need to get in contact with me- email, twitter, and tumblr are your best bets. 

Thanks for all the support!

Love you all!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Flashback to Day 22

Rory's POV

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Julian laughs awkwardly. "Where do I even start?"

"From the beginning."

"Right..."

 His eyes roam around the bakery for a while before settling on me. "I'm not a bad person you know."

I fold and unfold my hands impatiently. "How do you know Kale's dad?"

Again, he glances around without sparing me a glance. "I-I may have used to work for him."

"Yes or no, Julian. There is no may.

There's a long pause, a sigh, and then the answer: "Yes."

My heart drops a little. I mean I was expecting it but it still felt weird hearing him admit it.

"Oh."

"I swear it's not as bad as it seems-"

"You keep saying that!" I whisper-yell. "It doesn't change the f-"

Julian cuts me off, "I only used to track them down Rory-"

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, that makes it so much better."

"I never knew what Robert's 'business' was or what the girls were for- I never asked."

"You weren't even a little bit curious why he was asking you to look up information about random girls? Not even a little bit?" I question in bewilderment.

"I was but not enough to ask what was going on."

"Bullshit." 

"I'm serious! Kale's family wasn't the only one Robert threatened- he said he would go after mine as well."

I furrow my eyebrows. "But why even get involved in something like this in the first place? This underground business?"

There is a long pause as Julian tries to form his words. 

"There," He finally says, "There will never be a good enough reason to that question, but I guess the simplest answer would be loneliness." Sighing, he continues. "I was so lonely, Ree. I had parents who left me for days and no siblings... I guess Robert and his group made me feel like I was important."

"Kale told me the same thing the other day." I say after another long pause. "I guess Robert has a way of exploiting people's feelings to get what he wants."

Julian frowns. "Yeah, and that's how he gets so many people- especially teenagers- to work for him."

Curious, I ask, "How many people are we talking?"

"Easily a hundred or so."

"A hundred or so?" I mimic in disbelief.

Julian laughs. "Yeah, ridiculous isn't it? 

"Isn't that a bit too much? It's not like he's trafficking girls to and from other countries."

"Actually..." 

I stare at Julian in horror. "No."

He scratches the back of his head. "He has people all over the world, Ree. It's a really big black market operation- the biggest one out there. I'm surprised Kale hasn't told you."

"Yeah," I say absentmindedly. I was surprised as well.

"How-how did you find all this out then?"

"A little while back I overheard some guys talking about the trades and how much they were betting on the girls getting sold. After that, I did a little researching of my own and found out about Robert's system."

 "Are you still working for him?"

I can visibly see him hesitate. "Yes."

I guess he sees the look of disbelief in my eyes because he quickly puts in, "I can't just stop working for him, Rory! He will kill my parents and that is not just a subtle threat, it's a fact. You saw what happened with Kara!"

"Yes, but what about the hundreds of innocent girls who are losing themselves to this horrible industry, Julian? What about their dreams? Their lives? Why don't you just go to the police?"

"The police?" He scoffs. "Robert has some people of his who are cops. There is no way out of this."

"Kale found a way out."

"After his sister and his mom died. After years of being his dad's lapdog- actually, no, he still is his dad's lapdog. He never found a way out! Kale's living in fear everyday, Rory. He may not show it, but he's scared to death of what might happen to his adoptive parents, his friends, and especially you!"

I stay quiet.

Julian was right. 

No matter what Kale did, Robert would always be there. 

"What can we do then?" I finally ask.

"If I knew, I would be long gone, Ree, long gone."

Once again, a tense silence falls between us

"Can I tell you something?" Julian asks, breaking the silence.

I nod in response. "Yeah?"

"I didn't move to Maple Bay just because."

"Yeah, you-"

He cuts me off, "No. I came here because Robert told me to."

My eyes widen in response. "This whole time you've been spying on me for him?!"

"I was... but then I got to know you and the more I did, the less I wanted to tell Robert about you."

"But you still did." I say flatly.

"No! I've been giving him false information this whole time. I swear."

Looking into his eyes, I could tell it was the truth. 

"Ok-"

"Rory." A very familiar (and very angry) voice sounds from behind me.

I wince, sending Julian a telepathic message to wish me luck.

The bastard just looks away in amusement.

Slowly, I turn around."Hey Kale."

To say he looked pissed off would be an understatement. 

"I can see you did a lot to 'help out', Aurora." My boyfriend states, eyeing Julian. 

I roll my eyes, "I had to talk to Lee about something. I knew that if I told you, you would've came along, even despite being sick. 

"Damn right I would've. He's not a good-"

"He is right here." Julian interrupts. "I think I'll head out now. Call me if you need anything, Ree."

I frown. "Okay, I will. Thanks for talking to me."

"No problem... Kale," He acknowledges., heading towards the door.

Kale ignores him all together and takes a seat across from me.

"You don't have to lie to me." He says.

"I know."

"Why then?"

"Kale, you should be at home."

"What are you hiding from me?"

"Nothing!"

"Liar."

"It's nothing that concerns you."

A look of hurt passes through his eyes. "Fine."

I sigh and take his hand. "I'm sorry. It's nothing bad I swear."

"And you're not getting into any trouble are you?"

"Nope."

He's silent for a while before sighing, "Okay."

"You're not going to try to get the answer out of me?" I ask in surprise.

Shaking his head, Kale draws circles on my palm. "I trust you."

I smile at him. "Is this real life?"

He rolls his eyes. "Just don't do anything stupid and tell me if you need anything."

"I know, I know."

"Rory, I mean it."

"I know." I say, emphasizing my words. 

"What are you doing here anyways?" I question.

"Rory, it's been two hours."

My eyes bug out. It has?! 

"It didn't seem like a two hour conversation..." I state out loud.

Kale shrugs his shoulders and coughs. "Time flies fast when there are important things to talk about."

He coughs again. 

"Let's go home, Kale." I say standing up.

"Whoa," He pulls me back down. "I'm not going anywhere without some food. I still haven't got my Ramen yet."

I face-palm. "Crap! I can't believe I forgot that. Sorry."

"I knew you would. You were never the brightest light bulb in the bunch, sweetheart."

I gasp.

"You-you're such a... dumb-butt!"

Wow, how lame. That came out so lame.

Grinning, he gets out of his seat. "I think I can live with being a 'dumb-butt.'"

I stick my tongue out at him. "Just go get the food."

Kale gives me a mock salute before going to the front to order. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- 

If you see any mistakes, please kindly let me know (through PM).

Don't forget to tweet and instagram me your favorite parts!

Ask for a follow back through PM! Please don't comment because I'm not able to go through all the comments and chances are I didn't follow you because you left a comment and not a PM, tweet, or instagram message. 

I don't follow back on Wattpad!

FB:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Baby-Project/832129946813226

Instagram: manaal_ali

Twitter: its_manaal_yo

Tumblr: droppedjem

Ask FM: droppedjem

Email: officialdroppedjem@gmail.com

It would be a great help if you guys can advertise TBP as much as possible.

If you want to get a dedication: Write a short story about TBP or make a trailer. The story can be about anything (about Liam, Cyan, Lanie, etc) Just please give credit that TBP is mine! The stories should be sent through email! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 9.1K 35
One HIGH SCHOOL, Two STUDENTS One a HOT JOCK The other an AWKWARD NERD Both HATE each other UNTIL, One DAY, Everything CHANGES LOVE awakens... And...
995K 21.4K 29
"I can really take care of myself, but thanks for stepping in and all that." I said in a meek voice as I looked up to see his bare chest was wet and...
222K 4.7K 49
They've known each other since they were eleven, inseparable best friends for as long as they can remember, but long distance and spotty behavior cau...
7.3M 190K 44
When Charlotte agrees to fake date bad boy Mason to make her best friend and secret crush, Ben, jealous, she thinks it will be a simple arrangement...