Safe and Sound (Watty Awards...

By icypastels

Meet Madeline Harwell, a bruised and broken young girl who is new to the town. She has had to grow up faster... More

Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty One.
Chapter Twenty Two.
Chapter Twenty Three.
Chapter Twenty Four.
Chapter Twenty Five.
Chapter Twenty Six.
Chapter Twenty Seven.
Chapter Twenty Eight.
Epilogue.

Chapter Ten.

25.8K 727 57
By icypastels

Author's Note: Sorry for the late upload! I've had writers block and been really busy with school haha. I'll try to upload another chapter at the weekend but I have to go out on Saturday and my godparents are coming over on Sunday so I'm not sure if I will have time.

IMPORTANT- I've entered this story into the Watty Awards, so I'm going to need as much help as I can get. Please read, vote, and share with your friends! I really would appreciate it. Thank you!

*******

Chapter Ten.
Kyle's Point of View.

I drummed the fingertips of my right hand against the table and rested my head against my other hand. Every couple of seconds my eyes flickered over to the classroom door. My gut told me that something was wrong.

Well, she wasn't in school so something had to be wrong. My right hand strayed to my pocket, and I hesitated before pulling my blackberry out. I moved my pencil case closer to me and placed my phone down on the table so that it was hidden by my pencil case. I typed in my password and went onto my messages, using the trackpad to click on 'compose SMS'.
'Hey Madeline. I was wondering why you're not in school today? I'm missing you in English.'
My thumb hovered over the trackpad as I tried to decide if I should send it or not. I quickly pressed the back space, deleting the last sentence so that the text now said 'Hey Madeline. I was wondering why you're not in school today.'

I clicked send before I could change my mind, and slipped my phone back into my pocket so that I would feel it vibrate against my thigh if I received a text. I tapped my foot on the carpet impatiently. I didn't know why I was so anxious to know where Madeline was, but something in the back of my mind told me that something bad had happened. I didn't know Madeline that well, but I didn't think that she was one of those people who would skip school, and she had been fine last night so I didn't think that she was ill.

When mum had pulled up in front of Madeline's house the night before, I had to admit that a shiver had shot through my body. The front garden was thick with brambles and weeds, and the terraced house looked as though it could tumble to the ground at any moment. The brickwork was shoddy and crumbling away, and I bet that the inside wouldn't be much better. I had been shocked. I never would have thought that Madeline would be living in a place like this.

As well as the house being horrible, the neighbourhood wasn't all that nice either. I had wondered if there was anyone at home in Madeline's house, as there were no lights shining through the windows. It had struck me as strange; something didn't seem quite right. I just didn't know what. But, I was going to find out eventually.

My foot continued to tap on the floor as Mrs Johnson's incessant droning went in one ear and straight out of the other. I uncapped one of my pens and positioned it over my blank piece of lined paper, jotting down some notes even though I wasn't actually listening to anything that  the teacher was saying.

I sunk my teeth down into my lower lip, biting at a loose bit of skin as I stared down at my pad of paper. The day was passing excruciatingly slowly. It felt as though it was already the end of the day when in reality, we were only half way through second period. I sucked in a breath and blew it out through my teeth. My eyes strayed to the clock, and I watched the second hand move slowly around.
Tick
Tok
Tick
Tok

The last half an hour of second period passed by excruciatingly slowly. Why is it that time always seems to mock you when you're waiting for something. Speaking of waiting, I was still waiting for a text. Why hadn't she texted me back yet?

The bell cut harshly through my thoughts, and I quickly shoved my books into my bag before hurrying from the room. I had been hoping to make a quick getaway, but apparently my luck wasn't very good today.

"Hi, baby!"

Jenny.
I slowly turned around, plastering a false smile onto my face. She threw herself at me, winding her arms around my neck and pressing her chest against mine. Her face held her signature smirk and her brown eyes sparkled mischievously.

Before I could protest, she crashed her lips into mine, flicking her rough tongue against my lower lip. I pressed my hands to Jenny's shoulders, pushing her backward gently but firmly. Inevitably, her lips came apart from mine and a frown wrinkled her forehead as she looked at me with a confused expression. Her lips pushed outward into a small pout, and I shook my head at her.

"Stop it Jenny."

She continued to watch me, her almond shaped eyes widening as she cocked her head to the side sweetly. No way was I falling for that look. I had fallen for it before and look where it had got me. It had got me in an on-off relationship with the sluttiest girl in the school, if not the world. That was not what I wanted. I wanted someone who was faithful, and someone that I liked enough to commit to. I didn't want to sleep around for the rest of my life. Once, it had been fulfilling but now...now I wasn't so sure. It wasn't as great as it had been in the beginning- I didn't get the same satisfaction that I once had.

"Why?"

She asked me innocently. I narrowed my eyes at her. I was done with all of the lying. I had to just tell her the truth.

"I don't like you Jenny."

I told her honestly.

"You're manipulative and conceited."

Jenny's jaw dropped, her eyes widening further. Seriously? She was still trying with the whole puppy dog look? Well, it wasn't going to work. Not anymore.

"Look, you're hot but you have the personality of a brick wall. I don't want to go out with you, okay?"

Her eyes hardened, becoming as cold as ice. When I had first met Jenny I had thought she had the most beautiful eyes ever. Warm, deep and the colour of rich chocolate. Now they just reminded me of gloopy pools of mud. I cringed inwardly- how could I ever have allowed myself to fall for those eyes. Now I knew that there were eyes that were even more beautiful. Instantly, my mind was bombarded with the image of beautiful hazel eyes that were flecked with gold and green. My features softened at the thought and before I could react a hand was flying toward my face.

"Fucking hell Jenny! What was that for?"

My right cheek was flaming right now, feeling as though someone had poured boiling water on it. My eyes flitted around the hallway and I noted that Jenny and I had attracted everyone's attention. The chatter had stopped and all eyes were on us. I instantly felt a rush of embarrassment run through my body.

"It's that stupid bitch isn't it? You like her! You've only known her for three days!"

Jenny screeched so loudly that I thought my ear drums would burst. Looking around once more, I saw the shocked looks on everyone's faces. I didn't blame them all for staring- Jenny was the queen of making a fuss and causing a scene, and with her yelling so loudly I was surprised that no teachers had emerged from their classrooms to see what was going on.

"Who I like is none of your business, Jenny. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get to my next class."

I spoke through gritted teeth, just wanting to get away from her. I didn't want to have to look at her face for a moment longer. I turned and began to make my way through the throng of students who parted like the red sea, forming a path for me to walk through.

"This is not over!"

Jenny screamed, her voice echoing through the hallway and becoming more high pitched than normal as she lifted one of her feet and slammed it childishly against the floor. Oh, I was so done with her. So done.

"It's already over babe."

I called over my shoulder, not even turning my head to look at her. The damn girl was so over dramatic that I almost felt sorry for her. Almost. As I opened the door that led to the stair well, I heard the sound of a frustrated cry. A small smile came to my face. I felt...free. Like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders by officially breaking up with Jenny. I knew that the whole school thought that Jenny and I were meant to be together but to be honest, I didn't care what they thought.

There was no way in hell that it would work out between us. I couldn't stand another second with that damn girl. She was the most immature person that I knew, and it wasn't like she actually loved me anyway. She only 'went out' with me to keep a tight grasp onto her reputation. Well, her reputation could go and fuck itself for all I cared. My smile widened as I walked down one flight of stairs and into another hallway, the corners of my lips pulling upward. Ditching Jenny had been the best thing that I could have done. Though realistically, I knew that she would not give up so easily.

*~*

"Yo'. I heard what happened with you and Jenny. Congrats, man."

Charlie's voice interrupted my thoughts as he slid into the seat beside me at our usual lunch table. All through the day people had been asking me questions and making comments about what had happened.
'Why did you break up with Jenny?'
'She's so hot, man. I'd tap that.'
'Why would you give up a good fuck like that?'
I hadn't bothered to answer properly, merely waving my hand and shrugging my shoulders nonchallantly as though it wasn't a big deal.
I grinned at Charlie, nodding my head.

"Cheers."

"It was about time too. She's annoying."

I couldn't help the laugh that fell from my lips as I nodded my head in agreement. My smile faded and a growl rose in my chest as the devil herself walked into the cafeteria. She sauntered straight over to me, dropping herself onto my lap and draping an arm over my shoulders.

"Loan me some money for lunch, baby? I have none."

Was she serious? Did she completely forget about earlier? The muscles in my jaw tightened, and everyone on our table hit pause on their conversations to stare at Jenny and I.

"Get the hell off me."

I pushed her gently from my lap. I would have pushed her harder, but as much as I disliked her, I didn't want her to hurt herself by falling from my lap to the floor. She stood, though one of her hands remained on my shoulder. Her manicured nails dug into my skin, and the room grew quiet.

"And no, I'm not giving you any money. It's about time you brought your own."

I added, standing up from my chair and picking up my tray and my back pack. Jenny scowled at me, her face turning an ugly shade of red. I shrugged her hand from my shoulder and it fell stiffly to her side.

"I don't want to have to say this to you every time I see you, but I will if I have to. I don't like you, so leave me alone. Get that through your head."

I walked away from the table, dumping the rest of my food into the bin before placing my tray with the others and exiting the cafeteria. As soon as I was out of the door, I heard an eruption of chatter, no doubt people were wondering what the hell was going on. I patted my pockets, searching for my phone as I walked outside into the crisp air. It was drizzling a little, but it was better than being inside. I pulled my blackberry from my pocket, staring at the screen. Nothing yet. It had been almost three hours since I had texted Madeline and I hadn't received a reply. To be perfectly honest, I was worried. I typed in my password and started a new message.

'Ignoring me?'

No, I wasn't going to ask her that. I deleted the words, trying to think of something else that I could say to her.

'Are you okay? I'm kind of worried.'

Yes...that would have to do. I quickly pressed send and pushed my phone back into my pocket. My heart was beating rapidly in my chest, and my hands were slightly clammy. I was...nervous? But I didn't know why.

*~*

Two cold hands slid over my eyes.

"Guess who?"

I held onto the person's wrists, pulling their hands from my face as I rolled my eyes.

"You're crap at that Soph. You're supposed to at least try to change the sound of your voice."

I turned around to face my sister. She giggled and lifted her shoulders in a shrug before getting an umbrella out of her bag and handing it to me. I opened it up, holding it over the both of us as the drizzle became heavier. Sophie stood close to me, linking her arm through mine. Mum had been unable to pick us up from school, so we were stuck with walking home in the rain. Thank God Sophie always had an umbrella on her just in case.

"So what happened with you and Jenny? You know the whole school is talking about it?"

I had began to wonder how long it would take her to ask me that. It hadn't taken long at all. I let out a sigh.

"You know I didn't like her. It was about time that she knew it."

Besides Charlie, Sophie had been the only other person who had known the truth about how I felt about Jenny. My sister was much more mature than her twelve years...well, most of the time. Sophie nodded her head, a thoughtful expression coming to her face.

"Are you going to ask Madeline out?"

The mere sound of her name sent my heart into a frenzy. I shook my head in answer.

"No. I only just met her. I need to give it time, Sophie."

Sophie nodded again, chewing on her bottom lip for several moments before she spoke.

"Yeah...I suppose I can understand that."

The two of us lapsed into a comfortable silence, and I was glad that Sophie had finished with her interogation. Throughout the whole of last period I had been anxiously awaiting a text from Madeline, but I hadn't got one. Could she not even send me a two word text saying 'I'm fine'? Apparently not. Another sigh fell from my lips, and I wondered what was going through Madeline's head and if she was okay.

I could only hope that she would be in school tomorrow. Well, I had my fingers crossed anyway. The remainder of the walk home passed by uneventfully aside from the fact that the rain seemed to be falling heavier and heavier. Both Sophie and I breathed a sigh of relief when we arrived home, and we were hit with a rush of warmth as soon as we were through the front door. It was good to be home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.2K 992 20
Talia was different, was born weird or was just an issue that science could never explain Mind control: seeing into people's memories, finding their...
16.8M 649K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
414K 16.9K 33
"My name is Savannah, but he calls me Amber." ________ Savannah Noel is your average teenager. Well, she would be, if she wasn't kidnapped at eleven...
468K 14.9K 68
Nina Watson is the school's nerd with the darkest secret. Everything seems fine on the outside like it always does but behind the curtains, a whole o...