He Dreams Of Flying

By MysticMonarch

Castiel is a boy trying to make it on his own, a boy no different from the rest. Except, of course, for the p... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

Chapter 6

8.5K 342 381
By MysticMonarch

Chapter 6
He Dreams Of Flying

Prepare to adore me.

I still get peoplke asking every week, "When is the next chapter coming out?" The answer is always either Friday or Saturday, it updates every week. And the fanfiction is going to be eight chapters long, so you still have two more to look forward to, you don't have to worry. 

Please favorite, follow, vote, review, whatever you want to call it, just let me know that you're reading!

Castiel and Dean walked back to the impala when the sun had already long been set beyond the mountains. Castiel's throat was a little sore and his eyes were still watery from crying, but he felt a sort of overwhelming happiness that couldn't be stifled. A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips.

Dean was still shirtless, carrying it in his hands, letting his wings out. He lightly flapped them in the breeze, enjoying the stretch of muscles that had gone too long without being used.

They approached the impala and he climbed on top, not willing to let this moment go yet. Despite being tired, Castiel felt the same way, so he followed Dean onto the hood of the car. Dean's wings spread out to wrap around both of them, pulling Castiel closer to Dean. He had probably never felt so safe and secure and certain that he was loved in his life.

They sat with Castiel leaning against Dean's chest for a little while, just looking up at the stars. Finally, Castiel felt that the moment was right to speak.

"Do you think that there are more of us out there?" Castiel whispered, almost afraid to ask the question. Dean seemed to mull it over a minute.

"Probably one or two. Sammy doesn't have them, so it's not genetic." He said, shrugging. Castiel nodded his head a little, giving a sigh. He hadn't even thought to ask about Sammy yet.

"So, if it's not genetic, why do you think we have them?" He questioned, reaching out to slowly stroke one of Dean's glossy feathers. Dean shivered a little, enjoying the feeling. Nobody had ever done that before.

"I honestly don't know. Do you have any theories?" He questioned, shaking his head to clear it. Castiel froze at the question, and Dean knew that he had hit a sensitive spot.

"I have no clue." He whispered.

"Maybe it was so when we finally found each other, we'd know we were meant to be?" Dean teasingly suggested. Castiel smiled just a bit, seeming to take the suggestion as more of a joke than anything.

"Maybe." He agreed quietly. "I highly doubt it."

"Well then, you obviously have to think something. Is there something you're not telling me?" Dean asked, pushing for information. He didn't want to make Castiel uncomfortable, but at the same time, he wanted to know what was up with him. Maybe he could help him to feel better about it?

"I- well..." Castiel stated. He was so used to putting up walls and not telling people how he really felt or what he was really feeling that he was finding it difficult to let Dean in. He knew he had no reason to be concerned though. He could tell Dean, he could finally let it all out. It was just going to be difficult to start. "The real reason my mom left. I usually tell people that she just got sick of us one day and went, which is what I was told when I was little, but that's not exactly the case." He mumbled. Dean nodded his head, urging him to continue. He found that as he spoke, it was getting easier and easier to let the words come out.

"I found her diary when I was twelve. I had always wondered what had happened to make her go, what specifically pushed her off the edge. All the response I got from my dad was that she was under too much stress and wanted to leave. If I ever asked what she was like, he'd always respond with some generic, half thought out answer. So, I took matters into my own hands once I found it. I tried to wait, but I couldn't control my urges and I read the thing. It started out great. She was happy to see me grow and had tons of plans for what to do when I was finally there. My dad hadn't even started drinking yet then. Once I came out though, things changed.

"She thought of me as a monster. She said that I was cursed with these wings, thought that they were a punishment from God for something she'd done. She left after a little while. She just couldn't take being around me." Castiel said, taking a shaky breath.

"That's sort of why I freaked out when you found my wings. I thought that you were going to freak out and tell everyone, and then I'd get labeled as a freak for the rest of my life." He said. There was a silence as Dean digested everything, unsure of what to really say at a time like this.

"I'm so sorry." He mumbled, leaning over to kiss Castiel's forehead. "No kid should ever have to go through that. She was an idiot, I'm sorry man."

"Don't blame her, she just didn't know." Castiel said, looking down. He could almost feel the shock radiating off of Dean.

"'Don't blame her'? Really? Because it sounds to me like she abandoned her only child because she just couldn't take that you were different. Almost nobody would have done that, even in that situation. She was stupid as hell, and you shouldn't have to live with the pressure she put on your shoulders by leaving." Dean announced, getting a little fired up. Castiel had to be a little angry. Dean's feelings were contagious, and this one was particularly strong.

"You know what my mom did about my wings? She was there for me every day. She told me that my wings made me special and that she didn't care that I was different. She told me that they meant angels were watching over me, and that they would come in handy some day. She never once told me that they were a bad thing." Dean said. "Even if your mom really did believe that they were a punishment from heaven or whatever, she abandoned you. She ran away like a coward." Dean pointed out.

Castiel simply nodded his head, not wanting to let himself be angry. He couldn't really argue with the logic, though. So, he changed the subject.

"So, where's your mom now?" Castiel asked. Dean sighed, shifting to get more comfortable.

"She died when I was a kid. My dad... Well, he's sort of in a dangerous work field." Dean said sheepishly, chuckling. There was still an air of sadness about it when he talked, but it sounded like he had gotten over her death. "He bounty hunts. My mom's dad did it too, and it got him and his wife killed. Eventually, my mom broke out of the life and they went to have us with dad working as a mechanic. You make some enemies doing stuff like that though, and one of her dad's old foes found out where she lived. They... They set the house on fire." Dean whispered. "I was in there with Sammy when it happened. We were on the top floor, and there was no way out. Mom put him in my arms and pushed me to the window. I had never used my wings before, but she was sure that I could and the flames were too high to even try going out of the door with a six month old baby in your arms. She had always cut holes in my shirt so my wings could be free around the house, so they were out and ready to go. She made me jump out the window with Sammy, and she didn't make it out." He said. There was pain in his voice as he recalled the swirling heat and confusion and the pain. "Of course, I was too young to be strong enough to lift a second person. Sammy was too much and my wings only slowed things down. I ended up breaking one of my legs.

"Ever since then, I can't bring myself to fly. No matter what I do, it just feels too dangerous. I know my mom would have wanted me to learn how, but..." Dean sighed at this point. "All I can think about is how if it had been any higher, at least one of us would have died. I can't trust these things." Dean said, shaking his wings a little to illustrate his point. Castiel nodded his head, a small frown appearing on his face.

"What was it like, though? Flying?" He whispered, curious. Dean snorted.

"It was more like falling with style, but..." Dean said, biting his lip. "While I was in the air, it was amazing. It felt like I had never been more free in my entire life and probably never would be. I would give anything to be able to do it again, but I don't think I could."

Castiel processed the information, frowning a bit. There was still one thing that wasn't quite making sense to him. "Why did your dad go into bounty hunting if your mom had gotten away from it?"

"He didn't get into it until after she died. She was... Well, it was her father's enemy that did her in, and my dad sort of got obsessed with revenge. He dragged us into this life; me and my brother have both been raised so far as hunters. I'm not going to lie, it's not been easy. But he's a good man and he's saved a lot of people." Dean said, looking down. "I just wish he was around more. Sammy is always asking questions about dad and where he is, it's like he hardly knows anything about the guy except that he's a hunter. Not only that, but he's raising us as hunters. I don't really mind, but Sam wants to be a lawyer, you know?" Dean mumbled, closing his eyes. It had been a long time since he'd told anybody about all of this, and he found himself getting carried away. "I just wish that he could have it better. All this moving hasn't been good on him."

"I can imagine not." Castiel said, frowning. It sounded like the Winchesters led a life just as lonely as his own. He thought back to the bright eyed boy who he'd spent a few hours with over the last two weeks. He was strong for being so young and going through all of that. Dean, too, especially Dean. As much as it would have been nice to have someone like a brother, Castiel could tell that it would be stressful feeling like you had to care for someone. Especially since, as far as he was currently concerned, Dean's dad was no better than his own mother.

"He has no right to let his obsession control your life like that." Castiel said, letting himself be concerned for somebody else for once. Caring was always a weakness and he knew that, but he honestly couldn't bring himself to care right now. "You and Sam should be able to have some sort of stability in your life. He should have thought of what you two needed in all of this. If he's really never home, you're raising Sammy. No kid should have to raise another kid."

Dean frowned, looking over at Castiel.

"He's a good man." He repeated dumbly. "I'm not angry at him for it, he's saved lots of people. Bobby, a friend of his, has been taking care of us whenever he swings by, and even has other hunters check up on us sometimes." Dean excused. Castiel shook his head, trying not to get angry with Dean.

"Okay then. What are you going to do when he makes you leave here?" Castiel demanded, lifting up his head and looking into Dean's eyes with a fresh kind of intensity. "When he makes you leave me?"

Castiel hadn't thought about it until then, but it was a very real possibility. Dean's dad was constantly moving them, dragging them across the country, and they were probably due for a move any time. Castiel could feel the fear start to come down on him, and suddenly, he had trouble breathing. He fought it off though, not ready to deal with his emotions on the subject. He couldn't think about how hurt he would be if he had to let Dean go.

Sean's eyes flickered in realization, but he remained neutral. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." He mumbled. Castiel was somehow able to convince himself that he was satisfied with the response. He closed his eyes and leaned back again, breathing in the scent of grass and ocean and Dean. He had to enjoy this while he had it; he knew better than anyone that good things never stay.

Dean could be gone sooner than he could comprehend.

Their night seemed to last forever, looking up at the stars and making hushed confessions in the dead of night. Dean admitting that he had actually made a girl mad enough at him to pants him in front of the entire school, Castiel confessing that he had hardly even thought about flying before now, Their words carried away by the wind as they just let go. Castiel felt free, like slowly the sand bags weighing him down were coming open and spilling out their sand. He felt almost weightless.

He felt like he could fly.

They knew that they had to get back home when Dean's cell phone started ringing. Sam was calling him over and over, worried for his well being. He had known that Dean and Castiel were fighting, and he just wanted to check up on everything and make sure they were doing okay. Dean had sheepishly admitted then that they had stayed out too long.

They climbed off the car, the lack of a body beside him temporarily freezing Castiel as the cold of the night set upon his warmed skin. He quickly climbed off of the hood after that, getting in the front seat as soon as possible and grabbing his trench coat, slipping it on over his shirt. Dean put his own shirt loosely around his shoulders, but he made no effort to pin his wings down this time, letting them push proudly against the fabric. He didn't like having them concealed, but he knew it was probably a bad idea to try and drive like that. If somebody saw... Well, it might not end up very well.

He reached over buckled up before driving Castiel back to his house, the conversation kept to a minimum as they just cruised along the open road. It all seemed a little cliche for his tastes, but Dean had to admit that this was probably the easiest he'd ever been able to get along with somebody. Not just somebody though, but the one person in the world who could truly understand him.

No matter what Castiel said, Dean was certain that they had been given these wings because they were supposed to find each other. Like a beacon in the nigh or a mark upon the heart, the wings were the one thing that separated them from everyone else. I mean come on, what were the chances that they found each other? Out of hundreds of thousands of millions of people, Dean had chosen to fall in love with Castiel, out of them all. There was no way that fate wasn't involved in there somehow. Their wings were meant to be a calling card, and Dean felt like that gave him strength.

He had never before thought about his father possibly being a bad father. He had always taken what was given, taken care of Sammy, learned to bounty hunt and put himself in dangerous situations for the sake of his dad, never once questioning it. He had been raised with the blind obedience of a child, but he was finally growing up. Maybe Castiel was right. Maybe Dean's dad wasn't so good after all.

All Dean knew was that he wasn't going to leave this place. His dad could cry and scream and beg and hit and yell, but he needed Castiel now.

He needed him by his side, to be his friend. To be the boy he had fallen in love with. The small genuine smile and the trench coat and the slightest bit of stubble when you could tell he'd woken up late. The bluest eyes to ever blue and the slight blush he'd get at every compliment. His laugh, his witty remarks, his playful banter that Dean had grown addicted to. Even if it was his father, Dean was not going to leave Cas for anybody. At the very least, not if he had anything to say about it.

After that night, they were tighter than a knot. Castiel and Dean could be seen holding hands or arm-in-arm in almost any situation, playfully eyeing each other or just talking about things that they'd seen or things that they'd heard. If you were lucky, you could catch them staring intensely into each other's eyes or pecking one another's cheeks. These small intimate moments kept them going for the most part, and Castiel was in utter bliss.

The day of the project rolled around, the last day of school. Castiel fidgeted nervously at the prospect of school actually ending, but he dealt with it silently. He was sure that Dean would come and see him every day that he could over the summer.

For the days without Dean, there were always books.

The light switch was pushed down on Dean's request, leaving the class slightly confused and primarily curious. Castiel and Dean stood at the front of the classroom, a poster board sitting down and the projector's tip just barely peeking out from Dean's book bag (Castiel didn't even know he had a book bag until then) and ready to get the show on the road. The teacher quieted down the class and nodded for them that it was time to start.

The crinkle of the poster board made Castiel flinch as he looked at the abundance of scientific information that he had put together about stars. He didn't need to read much of it and he would be done with his part, and then he'd get to listen to Dean's story again.

"Stars are a gaseous composure, millions and billions of miles away from the earth. The sun being the closest one, it's the one that we're most common with." He read, reciting it from the paper. He saw the other students looking around in boredom and lack of interest, and he cleared his throat, attempting to sound more appealing and exciting.

"One of the main constellations we know is the Big Dipper. It was used as a directional pointer by slaves in the country to get to the north. But many don't know that there were actually several legends surrounding its origins, one of the most fascinating in my opinion, being from the Cherokee." He announced. He was done with his lines then, and he let out a shaky breath that he hasn't been entirely aware he was holding in. He put down the poster board on the table, reaching over to Dean's backpack to flip on the switch.

Thanks to Dean building a special holder for the projector, it could play facing entirely upwards. He had rigged everything so that the stars shone brightly on the ceiling as they flickered to life, and Castiel brought out his laser pointer. He looked up in time to see the heads of his fellow peers turning upwards and several amazed expressions, including that of the teacher. There was a small satisfaction in his heart as he traced the Big Dipper with the laser light.

Dean started to tell the story, and everyone was listening with rapt attention. Castiel even found himself caught up in the way Dean's gravely voice swooped to create effect, and the way he incorporated some humor into his little speech. Every ear was tuned in, and Castiel found himself lovingly staring at Dean about halfway through it, and he just knew that he was making puppy dog eyes. He couldn't really bring himself to care, though. Dean was enchanted when he talked... It warmed Castiel's heart to no end.

Finally, the presentation was done. Castiel took a moment to realize that it was over and he'd been staring at Dean too long, but once he did, he (blushing) reached over and turned off the projector, leaving only a small whirring sound as the machine slowly came to a halt.

There was a moment of silence in the class, and he felt a little awkward up there all by himself. He cleared his throat, offering everyone a weak smile, hoping that there silence wasn't a sign that he and Dean had done something bad. Slowly, the silence intensified, until a slow clap of hands was heard in the back.

The students seemed to take that as their cue, and the sound increased all at once with proclamations of "you guys did great!", and "you're gonna ace this bros!" The teacher stood again, waving his hands in a downward motion to settle down the kids. When that didn't work, he resorted to yelling over them for a couple of seconds until they finally settled down. Finally, the room was silent, and he turned towards Castiel and Dean with a small smile on his face.

"You two both get an A. I feel sorry for whoever has to follow up that performance."

Castiel felt triumph rush through him, and Dean leaned over and kissed his forehead right in front of the class. He felt his face turn red, but he didn't comment. "Hey, can we go and put the projector up now? We wouldn't want it to get broken." He asked, wanting to talk to Dean. The teacher nodded his head and gestured his hand towards the door, a clear sign of dismissal.

"Go ahead and take your stuff too. It's only ten minutes until the bell, and you two certainly earned it."
Dean and Castiel nodded, obediently picking up their things and scurrying off. The door opened with a whoosh, and they eagerly pushed themselves through it, smiling broadly.

As soon as the door shut, Castiel spun around to face Dean, pumping a celebratory fist in the air.

"We did great!" He exclaimed, leaning in to initiate a hug. Dean put down his back pack as soon as it was done, holding out his arms again for a more proper one. Castiel complied and Dean picked him up, spinning him around in a dramatic circle before letting him drop again. Castiel felt his hair get tossled up when Dean ran a hand through it, and he growled in frustration. Dean laughed, but he released Castiel and turned to grab their bag.

"We should get to the locker now." He pointed out. "We only have so much time."

So they started walking in silence, down the hallways and around to where their lockers were. They got there and Castiel put all of his things into his locker, except for his fifth period book which he knew he would need. After he was done, they stood there for a moment in awkward silence. They still had five or six minutes until the bell rang, and neither was sure what to do.

That is, until Dean pushed Castiel up against the locker, his eyes boring into Castiel's soul. He leaned forward until his lips were at Cas's ear, and Castiel felt a shiver go through him.

"Why don't we find a way to pass some of this time?" He purred. Castiel nodded his head weakly, feeling his lips start to buzz in want of Dean's pressed against them. No matter how many times they kissed, it would always feel like the first to him. The connection that they had seemed to only grow stronger with time, and Castiel knew that it was going to continue on that path. Even if he didn't think it had anything to do with their wings, he knew that he and Dean were soul mates.

"You always taste so sweet." Dean purred, slowly trailing his lips along the flesh leading to Castiel's lips. Castiel wrapped his arms around Dean's shoulders and knotted his fingers in Dean's hair, using his hold to momentarily take control of things. He impatiently pressed their lips together, melting as soon as he felt Dean's begin to move against his own. He let out a small sigh against Dean's lips, relaxing his hold on Dean's hair and letting his body drain of tension as the kiss began to slow down. Dean pressed his body up against Castiel's, and Cas felt his back hit the cool metal of the lockers. He gave a shiver at the temperature change and felt Dean chuckle.

"We need to stop soon or people are going to see." Castiel gasped between kisses. Dean smiled.

"Let them." He retaliated, moving Castiel away from the lockers just long enough to wrap an arm around his waist. Castiel allowed it, knowing by now what Dean liked to do and enjoying the safe feeling that it brought him. He felt his mind go cloudy as Dean's lips returned with force again, and he couldn't quite remember why he wanted to stop in the first place. He made a low sound in the back of his throat before he put his hands on Dean's arms.

The bell made him jump and he pushed Dean off just as the students began to pour out of the classrooms. He shot Dean a glare, but it probably didn't have the intended effect with his shirt still ruffled up and his lips kiss-swollen to perfection. 

"We don't want to get in trouble!" He hissed, smiling despite attempting to stay angry. Dean saw right through it.

"Yeah yeah yeah, you loved it." He teased, his usual dopey smile making an appearance. Castiel shook his head and fixed his hair the best that he could with one hand, his other reaching over to grab his fifth period text book from where it had fallen on the floor. He hadn't even noticed that it fell in the passion of the kiss.

They went their separate ways then, Castiel shooting a small smile over his shoulder.

The summer came and brought sweet relief to the kids, all of them practically running out of the school in a frenzy of adrenaline and summer-induced craze. Castiel waited patiently for Dean by their locker, and he smiled when he saw the familiar blonde head bobbing over the rest of the students. He was a little tall for his age... Castiel was okay with feeling short though, so it was okay.
Dean walked by and they took the trip out to the car together before sharing in a long, slow kiss. Castiel almost dropped his mostly empty bag on the pavement, but Dean pulled away just in time for him to realize what was happening and scramble to catch it. He chuckled a little bit, throwing it in the back and slipping into the front seat.

Dean dropped Castiel off at his house, leaning over for a final small peck before Castiel climbed out.

"I'll take you out tomorrow for iced cream to celebrate." Dean said. Castiel nodded his head, grinning at the prospect. This would be his first summer that he looked forward to. He wouldn't have to spend his days lonely and too hot in the sun and lack of air conditioning that his house offered.
"Okay. But only if you let it be my treat, you paid for dinner last time." He reminded Dean. Dean rolled his eyes but went along with it, not wanting to argue right then. He knew that Castiel didn't get money very often, except for when his grandma visited or the extremely occasional money from his dad. It meant a lot to him that Cas wanted to spend it on doing things together when he could be spending it on himself.

"Fine." Dean grumbled. "Bye." He said. Castiel, instead of actually saying it, gave a small wave as he slipped out of the car. Dean was slowly learning that Castiel was typically not a man of many words, especially when you got to know him. He was concise and to the point, unless he was cracking a joke or responding to one of Dean's. Actually, now that he thought about it, Castiel didn't put effort into responding to anyone but him.

Castiel was through the door before Dean started the car back up, rolling down his window just a little further to let the air come in. The drive to his home was actually fairly short, but it felt like years without Castiel there with him. So, when he finally got there, he groaned and shut off his truck, ready to go inside and have a coke with Sammy, ask how his day went.

There was something off, though. The driveway was usually empty, maybe with Bobby's truck, but today was different. A black van with heavily tented windows was in their driveway too, the doors open and a couple of boxes in the back. Dean felt himself go numb with dread and terror. He'd seen this sight enough times before to know what it meant.

His dad was going to move them again.

He slowly climbed out of the car, just in time to see Sammy carrying the large box of his possessions out to the car. John made them keep everything that they owned down to a few boxes, so that in the event that they had to move they would be out of a town quick.

"Dean!" Sammy called out. Dean could hear the weariness in his brother's voice; he'd been sick of moving for a long time.

Dean shut the door to the impala, walking over to the front door to slowly poke his head in the door. He saw John picking up one of three boxes left, and he tried not to feel panicked. Panic would help nobody in this situation.

"Dean, good. We need to move again, I found a case in Michigan. I was thinking about taking your little brother down for his first hunt too. Does that sound good?" He asked, setting down the boxes. He walked over to Dean with a much too cheery smile on his face before he patted his son on the shoulder, smiling the entire time. Dean thought that the smile would make him sick.

Suddenly, he thought of what Castiel had said. He could be mad. He had the right to be angry.

"No, no, it's not okay." He said slowly. "I have friends here. You can't keep uprooting me and Sammy like this." He said bravely. John's smile slowly began to fade from his face. A moment's confusion flickered across his expression before Dean's words sunk in. His eyes darkened and his jaw clenched.

"We don't have time for you to be a sissy. You and your brother will be fine. We're moving, and you need to pack your things." John said darkly.

Dean felt defeated.

There was a flash of flannel clothing as he saw Bobby walking around in the back room. Time seemed to slow down as he felt his body automatically turn to obey his father, headed towards his room.

"He should have thought of you and Sammy in all of this." Castiel's words echoed in his head. He continued to march, trying to shake off the fighting spirit that was threatening to rise in him. Fighting would never get him anywhere with John, the man had taught him everything that he had known.
"Okay then. What are you going to do when he makes you leave here?" Castiel demanded, lifting up his head and looking into Dean's eyes with a fresh kind of intensity.

Dean feels his feet stop moving as he stops fighting against it, the thought of how broken Castiel would be if he left giving him the strength to stop. If he left now, he had no clue how much or even if he would be able to see Castiel again. His dad didn't let them keep the same cell phone for long, and Castiel wouldn't be able to afford one. After this, what if he never saw Cas again? What if he couldn't find him, they never got to kiss or hug or even say goodbye?

"When he makes you leave me?"

The phrase echoes in his head, and it is the loudest quiet-spoken thing he's ever heard. Fire burns in his eyes and across his soul as he turns on his heel, growling a bit in his throat.

"NO, we're NOT moving again." Dean hissed, marching up towards his father. He suddenly had the urge to appear as intimidating as possible, and every muscle in his body puffed up, including his wings. It was a dang good thing that Bobby already knew about them, because the tearing of fabric as they fought their way out of his shirt had his footsteps trailing through the kitchen to see what happened.

"I'm sick of all the stuff you're putting us through. We're not your carry on bags for you to haul wherever you please. I don't care where you're going, but we're staying here!" Dean exclaimed. John's face was a mixture of shock and rage.

There was a sharp pain in Dean's jaw, and he felt his body hit the floor. His world slowly faded into black, the last thing he heard being his little brother calling out his name.

When he came to, his head hurt like hell and he could vaguely register an ice pack resting against his chin, as well as a cold rag sitting on his forehead. He let out a long groan, his brow crinkling as he began to slowly open his eyes. The light burned.

"He's waking up!" Sam cried excitedly. Dean heard some footsteps and a blurry figure came to hover over him. He tried to force his eyes to focus on Sam, but his vision just kept swimming and blurring right when he almost had it. His head was dully throbbing and he groaned again, trying to remember what had happened.

Oh.

His father had punched him. Suddenly, his eyes snapped open and his vision cleared. He focused on Sam's face, gasping a little. "Sammy?"

Sammy had a huge smile stretched across his face, and his eyes shone as he looks down at Dean. A heavier set of footsteps could be heard, and Bobby's signature cap was the first thing he noticed. Bobby had a torn look on his face, like he wasn't sure whether to congratulate Dean or call him an idjit.

"Sammy, go and get another ice pack." Bobby demanded. Sammy nodded his head eagerly and ran out of the room and into the kitchen. Suddenly, Dean wondered where they were.

He sat up and looked around, his eyes scanning the wallpaper expectantly, as if it would give him some sort of indication as to where they were.

"So, what's her name?" Bobby asked flatly, raising his hand to take a drink. Dean just now noticed that he was drinking a beer, and there were bags under his eyes.

"What?" Dean asked dumbly, seemingly unable to comprehend what Bobby was asking. His answer was a raised eyebrow.

"A boy don't go down fighting like that over something he's never resisted before without a reason. It's been written all over your face lately; don't even try to pull that it's nobody, because you're in love." Bobby said, shaking his head. Dean gave it a moment to process, hoping that the surprise wasn't too evident on his face. His thoughts immediately drifted to Castiel and he blushed, clearing his throat and trying to sit up a little. Bad idea, because the room started spinning and he collapsed back down. He noticed then that he was on an overly-fluffy, Victorian-style couch.

He gave a deep sigh, knowing that denying himself to Bobby would be futile. "His name is Castiel. Bobby, he couldn't be more perfect." 

"His? Well that's new. You've never showed much interest in relationships of the other kind." Bobby said. Dean knew that Bobby didn't care though, so he didn't take it as an insult.

"You knew I was bi." He reminded him.

"Yeah, but your preference has always been women." Bobby said, "This boy must be something special."

"You have no idea." He laughed. "He... Bobby, he's like me." Dean said, lowering his voice. He didn't want to give away Castiel's secret, but Bobby knew about his wings anyway and had never told anyone. It wasn't like he was telling someone untrustworthy. "He's got wings."

Bobby couldn't have hidden the shock on his face if he tried. He had thought, like the rest of them, that Dean was the only one in the world. He had suspected that there were others, though, he'd just never been really convinced of it.

"Well then, it sounds like he's a real keeper. He does feel the same way, right?" Bobby asked, his eyebrows crinkling. Dean nodded his head and closed his eyes again.

"He makes me want to be a better person." Dean said finally. Bobby nodded. Yup, Dean had it bad. "He... I don't know, Bobby. He makes me want to fly."

Bobby almost dropped his beer. Dean had been terrified to fly ever since his mom died, and he knew it. He'd asked Dean why he didn't want to learn how to fly when he was younger and practically received a panic attack. If this Castiel character made Dean want to learn how to fly after all that, then he must be really important. He could see why Dean chose now to stand up to John.

"So when do I get to meet him?" Bobby asked. Dean smiled a bit.

"Sometime soon, hopefully." Dean said. He heard Sam return and flinched as the ice pack on his chin was replaced, but sighed as the new cold seeped into his jaw. "So, what exactly happened and how long was I out?" He questions.

"Well, John punched you and I ran and told him I would call the police if he didn't leave then. After that, he called me. I told him that I had taken pictures of your bruises and if he didn't let you and Sam live with me, I'd call children services so fast it'll make his head spin. He tried to defend himself, but I brought up how much he leaves you idjits alone and he couldn't argue with that. So, you're staying with me." He clarified. Dean felt his jaw drop open and his eyes snapped up. It made sense now, how Sam was looking at him like a hero. "So I found an empty house and Sam and I broke in, tossed you on the bed. We'll get the place later, so it won't be so illegal." Bobby chuckled. Dean continued to listen, feeling a flood of relief flow through him.

He'd done it. Castiel was staying with him and he was staying with Castiel. They wouldn't have to separate, he didn't have to worry about never seeing Cas again.

"You've been out for three hours. You cracked your head on the floor when you went down, we almost took you to the hospital, but we figured you'd pull through." Bobby explained. Dean grinned even wider, looking up at Bobby.

"I don't know how I could ever thank you." He said. "Bobby, you have no clue how much this means to me and Sam..."

"I know exactly how you can thank me." Bobby interrupted. Dean halted, listening with rapt attention. Bobby gave a small smile. "Castiel is coming over for dinner tomorrow."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 220 8
Castiel finds himself in his mating phase and Gabriel comes to assist the Winchesters with the troubled angel, but everything turns upside down when...
1K 22 21
Clarie has lived on her own for years, and she wants to know where she came from. Now she has to track down her parents, which could be the biggest b...
2.2K 53 18
Destiel. My first fanfiction full length i hope its good! Trigger warning self harm, suicide Dean and Castiel are penpals. Dean lives in Portland, O...
33.1K 2.1K 30
Dean Winchester and Castiel Novak are familiar-strangers who always end up on the same bus every morning and evening of the week. Luck isn't on Cas'...