Compositions of Us

By affiniteas

Olivia Harris has one dream: to become a professional photographer. She’s determined and even went out of he... More

01 · The Life Changing Event
02 · The First Impression
03 · The Domino Effect
04 · The Irony of a Trade Off
05 · The Lifelines Walk the Tight Rope
06 · The Key to Confidence
07 · The Unspoken Side
08 · The Tears of the Nurse
09 · The (Not So) Secret Admirer
10 · The Green-Eyed Mystery
11 · The Bus Route Disclosure
12 · The Ideal and The Unexpected
13 · The Way To Mend A Broken Heart?
15 · The Couple Uprising
16 · The Effect of Pain Relievers
17 · The Grand Reveal
18 · The Waltz of the Runaway
19 · The Aftertaste of Donuts
20 · The Defense Mechanisms
21 · The Innovation of What's and Why's
22 · The Snapshots of Spring
23 · The Moonlight Masquerade
24 · The Tangled Confrontations
25 · The Unexpected Gift
26 · The Swing to Memory Lane
27 · The Symphony of Confessions
28 · The Brave or the Cautious?
29 · The Heart on His Sleeve
M E S S A G E + (informal) R E C A P
30 · The Merry-Go-Round of Interactions

14 · The Introduction of the Explanation

63.9K 1.5K 353
By affiniteas

© an affiniteas 2013-2014 ink on Wattpad

14 · The Introduction of the Explanation

"Never in my nineteen years of being an educator have I witnessed such behavior."

These were the words that were often overplayed in the media, but never the words that one would want to hear in reality. 

Principal Walker was staring hard into our souls as his hands were pressed on top of his cherry wood desk. The pressure from his fingertips were turning a ghostly white. After a minute of torturous silence, Principal Walker began to pace back and forth.  

He started to rub his temples. "Is there anything I should know now?" 

Instead of the last part of his words proposing a question, it was pressed like a demand. 

As this was all happening, I couldn't concentrate clearly. My mind was all over the place, especially on Eric who was currently in the school clinic. All I did was worry if he was all right. I had to get out of this suffocating room to see him.  

"Olivia," Principal Walker prompted. 

Snapping out of it, my eyes immediately gazed over at Principal Walker. From my peripheral vision, Joshua had glanced at me briefly on my left while Trevor's hefty friend, Francisco, looked like he was about to faint this very moment on my right. 

"Yes, Principal Walker?" 

Principal Walker's aged face creased as his brown eyes searched for the truth. "I need you to tell me what happened." 

Blinking reluctantly at first, the reason why I felt intimidated was because I had never been in the principle's office for unnecessary reasons before. Principal Walker and I were on good terms since I was quite involved in school. However, I reminded myself that no one from my side did anything wrong. It was Trevor and his friends. I had to get the truth out to Principal Walker. 

I replied, "I was going to the cafeteria, and that's when I found Trevor and his friends hurting Eric. The fight was already happening, and I tried to stop it. I'm sorry, but that's all I know, Principal Walker." 

"She's lying," Trevor abruptly coughed up. 

Principal Walker arched his eyebrow and asked Trevor, "What do you mean?"

"Yeah, what do you mean?" I emphasized, sending a harsh stare at Trevor who was sitting on the farthest seat to the right.

Trevor was holding an icepack on the spot Joshua severely punched. From where I sat, his previous black eye was like bright Vegas lights in a dark night. Trevor's jaw clenched a little in hesitation, and I could already imagine myself rolling my eyes at his upcoming answer. 

"She's acting like she doesn't know, but she does. She's good friends with Eric, why wouldn't she know?" Trevor tried to reason. 

Principal Walker took Trevor's words into consideration and settled his attention back onto me. Before he could question me even more, someone else decided to speak up.

"That's because she really doesn't know," Joshua reasoned.

Trevor countered back bitterly, "Shut up, Anderson. No one asked you." 

Principal Walker huffed out a deep sigh, breaking the tension, "Alright, enough! You all do realize that bad conduct will get you suspended or expelled. I have to say that I am extremely disappointed in the football team's behavior. I will not overlook this matter, and I will take action. I informed all your parents, and they are already here. I will all speak with you and your parents individually." 

My stomach twisted upon hearing that. Mom was probably worried out of her mind. 

The principal's eyes landed over to Joshua before he asked, "Is it true that you participated in this conduct as well, Joshua?" 

Joshua nodded willingly, and I grew confused at how calmly he took the blame. 

Without thinking, I quickly spoke up, "Principal Walker, Joshua was just trying to help. Nothing else. He stopped them." 

Principal Walker's tone leveled down as he bought up, "I understand, Olivia, but Joshua didn't have to do so in such an aggressive manner. I'm going to have you five wait outside with your parents. I will speak with you first, Trevor." 

As the five of us stood up from our seats, I noticed how Trevor shot countless glares at Joshua, but Joshua didn't set his attention on anyone — even me. One by one, we all exited out of the principal's office. It wasn't long before we found our parents waiting for us outside the doors. The football players' parents looked ultimately angry as their sons approached their sides. 

My eyes immediately locked onto my mom's. There was a rush of guilt, knowing that she had to leave work just to come here. Mom hurried over to my side with her arms opened.  

When we reached other, she hugged me tightly. "Olivia, thank goodness you're okay."  

Relieved to be in her arms, I sighed. "Mom, I swear I'm all right." 

After reassuring Mom that I was alive and well for five minutes, she finally believed me and released me from her grasp. She smiled warmly, and her hazel eyes that were once clouded with worry had cleared up. I responded back with a grin.  

My attention involuntarily traveled to where Joshua was. A middle aged women was by his side. She had medium length blonde hair with blue eyes that were as bright as the clear sky. I assumed she was Roselle, Joshua's mother he told me about during the bus ride we shared. Her body physique was small and petite, but her hand on Joshua's arm expressed her motherly touch.  

Joshua had his back towards me, but I did manage to hear his voice even though I couldn't make out the words he was saying to his mom. His mom only nodded several times, but her expression appeared understanding. My mom then noticed my curiosity, and she briefly turned around to see what I was seriously observing.  

Breaking my gaze from the Anderson's in a haste, I focused my attention back at her.  

Mom angled her head at me. "Do you know him, Olivia?" 

I nodded. "Yeah, he's my friend." 

Never did I want Mom to meet Joshua like this.  

Changing the subject, I didn't want to do introductions right now since that wasn't the proper time. I then asked Mom if she heard from Eric or his parents. Mom soon nodded and mentioned that Eric's parents were at health clinic.  

I pleaded her to take me there. 

Mom smiled sadly and revealed, "They wanted me to take you there. Come on." 

Heading over to the clinic which wasn't so far to begin with, Mr. and Mrs. Park were standing outside the door with the school nurse. When Eric's parents noticed us coming their way, they smiled even though they appeared restless and upset.  

Mrs. Park's eyes were glassy from her tears. She walked up to me to give me a hug. I tried my best not to get emotional about the matter, but I could sense the pain Eric's parents were going through. Seeing them as my extended family, it was always evident how much they cared for their son. I didn't want any of them hurt. 

Mrs. Park's voice was filled with gratitude. "Thank you for stopping them, Olivia. I don't know what would have happened to Eric if they continued." 

A little speechless, I felt like I didn't do anything to stop Trevor and the others. It was mostly Joshua who snapped Trevor back into place — literally.  

I then understood what Mrs. Park meant. If I didn't hop in, Trevor and Nico wouldn't have stopped since the students watching didn't do anything.  

Fortunately, the school nurse mentioned that Eric's injuries didn't require extensive medical help. However, it didn't mean that Eric was left untouched. I nearly hesitated when Mr. Park encouraged me to visit Eric.  

I wasn't sure how I was going to react to Eric's current state.  

Summoning enough courage, I walked towards the room where it would only be us while the adults stood outside. Carefully peeking inside, I found Eric who was occupying one of the two beds. His legs were stretched out as he sat on the mattress.  

Eric had his eyes on the white bandages, and he released a sigh. Clearing my throat to get his attention, Eric lifted his head. It wasn't long before he threw on a sideways grin for me to see. 

"Hey Olivia." 

Despite the bruises by the corner of his mouth and right eye, Eric was still the handsome guy I knew. Walking closer to his side, I couldn't find any words to say back which left my lips stuck in a tight line. We both knew where this was going to take me. 

"Aw, come on. Don't cry," Eric motioned in a gentle tone. 

Letting out a laugh, I shook my head stubbornly. "Eric Jihoon Park, I am not crying." 

When my best friend looked like he was going to stand up, I immediately insisted him to sit back down. The irony of this scene — Eric should be recovering, and I needed to stop crying. I wasn't the one who got ambushed by a bunch of huge football players.  

As I sat on the right side of his bed, Eric went back to his original position and reached for my hand. Taking his hand, I gave him a closed grin in assurance that I wouldn't be such a crybaby.  

Discreetly observing the two bandages on his upper arm, I asked, "How are you feeling?" 

Eric shrugged a little. "Being publicly beaten up in school isn't something to be happy about, but I'm fine. Trevor sure can kick." 

The reminder that Trevor was the designated kicker for the football team caused chills to run up my spine. 

He then completed, "But, Trevor and Nico aren't strong enough to break me." 

From there, we shared a short laugh at his narcissistic comment, but I did believe Eric.  

He would have kicked their asses if Calvin and Francisco weren't involved. Knowing Eric, he wouldn't lay a finger on them on school grounds even if it was for his defense. If Eric was defending someone else though — like Mikaela or me — he would reconsider. He didn't have to tell me because that was something the three of us would all do for each other.  

I couldn't help but ask, "Eric, how did this all happen? Is it true what Trevor said?" 

There was a brief trail of silence in the room until Eric eventually nodded his head.  

He cleared up the confusion, "It happened that Saturday. I didn't plan to do anything to him, it just happened. When Joshua and I closed up the cafe´ that night, Trevor happened to be passing by. Olivia, if you only saw him, it was like everything was okay to him. Trevor even had the nerve to tell me that he was on his way to a party. He just got caught cheating on his girlfriend, and he thinks it's all right to go out? Did Mikaela not matter to him at all?"  

"I didn't know what overcame me, but I punched him. Trevor did try to punch back, but Joshua stepped in from it getting out of hand. Of course, Trevor wouldn't consider getting into a fight when he was by himself. He threatened me that this wasn't over, but I didn't think much of it. I told Joshua not to worry because it didn't seem like a big deal. I know I should be feeling regret, but Trevor deserved it. The only thing I do regret is how you and Joshua got in this mess. I'm sorry, Olivia." 

Listening to Eric, he was sincerely sorry about everything that happened today, but he shouldn't be. I understood why he did that, and I didn't blame him one bit.  

Even though Eric had no idea that I knew about his feelings towards Mikaela, his actions reflected his emotions. He loved her. It wasn't like the relationship Eric and I shared; it was different. And, I could clearly see it just by the tint of his eyes. 

Shaking my head, I corrected, "Trevor's an asshole for breaking our friend's heart, and you need to know that what you did to him doesn't change the way I see you. Don't apologize. Trevor is the one who decided to be a whiny kid about it and involve all of us. He shouldn't have made a show out of it. I understand why you did it, Eric, I just need to know that you're okay." 

"I am okay," Eric seemed to be holding something back, "but, you really don't understand why I did it. I-I haven't been very honest to you or Mikaela." 

Raising my eyebrows at him, I pursed my lips and wondered if Eric was finally going to admit it. "What do you mean?" 

"You know that I never liked Trevor to begin with. I knew something was up with him, but I thought that maybe it was my jealously taking over," Eric fumbled with his words before he finally spat it out, "I-I like Mikaela. Not like a friend... more than that, you know?" 

Eric immediately grew flustered after his confession, and I didn't even try hiding the smile growing from my lips. Rewinding back, everything had fallen into place. Joshua did throw the biggest hint at me when I was too blind to consider it.  

"Please say something," Eric muttered when he noticed that I hadn't said anything" 

I let out a shy chuckle. "I don't know how to say this, but I kind of knew." 

Surprised, he repeated, "You knew? Did Joshua tell you?" 

"He sort of made me realize that something was up. He asked me if I was really that oblivious to your actions during the time Mikaela and Trevor got back together. I should have figured it out sooner... Why do you think Joshua told me? Did he know before me?" 

Eric shook his head at my taunting tone from the accusation that he would tell someone else first instead of his closest friend. "I didn't tell Joshua, he asked me at work. It was to that point where even if I tried to deny it, he just knew." 

Even though Joshua made it seem like he never associated with people a lot, it turned out he could read people quite well. 

"You could have just told me. Why didn't you?"  

"It's not that easy, Olivia. You know that us three are really good friends. If I did, then things wouldn't be the same anymore." 

"Eric, you don't know that." 

His voice changed a bit in irritation. "Yes, I do. You've seen it before. Friends and relationships don't go mix well. What if something goes wrong between Mikaela and me? It's going to make you feel awkward. And, what if she doesn't feel the same way — which is a possibility. That's going to ruin everything, just because I developed feelings for her." 

Despite the sharp tone, I could distinguish the fear that was intertwined in Eric's voice. He was afraid. Remembering Mikaela's expression when she saw Eric being carried out was saying something different to me. 

Giving him an encouraging smile, I voiced out, "You're making up excuses by thinking about all these 'what if's'. You can't predict the future for everyone, Eric, and you don't have to. You just have to go and try. How can you say all of this if you aren't even going to try?"

Eric was quiet for a moment, probably pondering with what I just said. The room remained silent as the clock continued to tick. It didn't occur to me that it had been nearly two hours since the fight. Closing his eyes shut momentarily, Eric shook his head. 

"We shouldn't be worrying about this right now, Olivia. This can wait," Eric immediately shifted gears. "What about you? I really don't have a clue what's going on. How are you doing? You're not in trouble, right? And, what about Joshua?" 

Dropping the subject for Eric, I laughed softly to ease up the mood. "Hold on just a second, and let me catch up to your questions. I'm fine, even though I wanted to tackle Trevor for hurting you and getting his gross hands on me." 

"Yeah, he's asking for a death wish," Eric murmured under his breath. 

Amused by Eric's protective side surfacing, I reasoned, "I'm okay though. Principal Walker was pissed off, and all six of us were in his office. He's talking to Trevor and his parents right now, so I don't know what's going to happen. I guess we have to wait and find out." 

Eric's eyes widened before he implied, "Do you see what I mean, Olivia? If you or Joshua gets into trouble, it's because of me." 

I shook my head. "No, it's not your fault. We don't know what's happening right now, so let's not jump into conclusions, okay?" 

He seemed hesitant for a second until he gave in by nodding. "You're right." 

"It's not your fault, got it? I met your parents outside before I went in. They looked really upset about what happened. They're so worried about you, Eric." 

There was some guilt in Eric's eyes before he responded, "Yeah, I thought they'd be mad since I was the one who instigated this by punching Trevor first. They weren't though. You don't think this would go on my record, right? What if the universities find out about this? I won't get accepted. Then, my parents would definitely be mad. They have every right to be. Damn it, what if I just messed up everything?" 

Trying to calm Eric down, I reminded, "Eric, you're doing it again. You're going to be fine. If anything, Trevor is the one who's going to get into trouble because he started the fight at school. And, you want to know something? Your parents are more than happy just knowing that you're fine and not in the hospital right now." 

His eyes looked at me in hope. "You think so?" 

"I can promise you that. Now, can you promise me that you'll stop worrying and get better?" 

Eric released a smile for his constant worrying. "I will, Olivia. I'm made of steel. Thanks, I do feel a lot better... with everything." 

I chuckled. "Okay, good. You're my best friend, you can talk to me." 

After Eric replied back with a more confident grin on his face, I told him that I'd go check on how everything was going outside. Unfortunately, I was still one of the people that had to talk to Principal Walker. Hopping out of his bedside, I exited out of the school clinic and discovered that my mom and Eric's parents were no longer out in the hallway.  

Instead, it was Joshua who was just a feet or two away.  

Calling out to him, Joshua kept his expression rather unreadable. The way he remained impassive began to concern me.  

Once Joshua approached my side, his deep green eyes stared into mine. "Is Eric okay?" 

"Yeah, he's been taken cared of." 

He nodded briefly. "Are you all right?" 

I reassured him, "Much better after seeing Eric. Joshua, do you know what's been going on?" 

"Walker made his decision. Well, more like Trevor's parents made the decision." 

My heart raced from anxiety as I insisted him to tell me. Even though Joshua just said that a second ago, it felt like a lifetime before he revealed what happened. My nerves couldn't take it any longer. What perplexed me was how Joshua appeared so composed about the entire situation.  

He continued, "Trevor's parents made Trevor take the blame for the entire thing. Since his parents were cooperating with no hassle, Walker didn't do much and followed. His parents were so disappointed that they were apologizing to everyone, especially Eric's parents. Trevor's been suspended for a month while the others involved are suspended for two weeks." 

Shocked from the outcome, I didn't think Trevor's parents would throw all the blame on their son. I remembered Mikaela telling me how generous his parents were, but I guess Trevor's immature actions couldn't blind his parents' perception. I was quite relieved with how everything played out until I realized that Joshua hadn't mentioned about himself.  

Nodding, I questioned, "What about you, Joshua?" 

"They decided that my involvement wasn't intentional," Joshua confirmed before his voice changed in a sheepish tone, "but was defense for, well, you." 

Feeling my cheeks turn bright red upon hearing that, I was at ease that Joshua wasn't in trouble. Everything he did was to help Eric and me. Giving him a smile, I tried to shake this warm feeling away, seeing how Joshua was trying to avoid eye contact.  

"I never got to thank you for that. Thanks, Joshua." 

He shrugged as he rubbed the nape of his neck. "You shouldn't thank me. I wasn't going to let that idiot hurt — hey, what are you doing?" 

I laughed at his surprise. "I'm giving you a hug, Joshua. Ever heard of those?" 

Joshua stood frozen as I hugged him, and yet, his warmth practically radiated from the close distance. This may be the most awkward hug I had ever given to date, but Joshua deserved one.  

Being this close to Joshua Anderson, I should have thought about this first.  

The way he smelled, the way he held his breath, and eventually, the way his arms gradually wrapped around me caused my heart to beat at a rate I wasn't able to control. Even though I never imagined myself giving this arrogant locker buddy a hug, it felt right.  

The moment fell short once I heard a familiar voice calling my name. Picking up that it was my mom, Joshua and I soon pulled away from each other.  

Settling my attention to Mom, I gave her a wave. She had her eyes on Joshua for the most part, but she gave him a friendly smile. I hoped that she didn't think anything about our little hug.  

There was another person walking behind Mom, and it turned out to be Joshua's mom. Joshua walked towards his mom, and she smiled at the both of us. Reciprocating a smile back, Mom approached my side, and she was much more relaxed than earlier. 

"Trevor won't be bothering any of you anymore," Mom announced before her voice went soft for only me to hear. "Why haven't you told me about Joshua? He's such a nice boy." 

I gave my mom a look before releasing a chuckle. "I never had a chance to." 

"Hey Olivia," Joshua pulled our attention. 

When Mom and I turned around, Roselle and Joshua were standing stand by stand. Roselle shared a smile with me once we shared eye contact. There was just something about her that resembled Mom — they were like hot chocolate on a cold, winter day as cheesy as that sounded.  

Joshua motioned his arm to his mother and cleared his throat. "This is my mom, Roselle. Mom, this is my friend I was telling you about, Olivia." 

Moving closer, I also bought Mom forward. Roselle had her hand out, and I didn't hesitant to take it. "It's a pleasure to meet you." 

Letting out an embarrassed laugh, I reasoned, "The pleasure's all mine. I'm sorry you had to meet me this way." 

Our moms and I shared a laugh while Joshua stood there with a closed grin on his face. I bet he was trying to stop himself from joining in. I also did the same thing by introducing Mom to Joshua and Roselle. Knowing Mom, I would be getting a bunch of questions about Joshua Anderson once we got home. 

I wouldn't say that it was a good thing to introduce a boy to my mom after getting sent to the principal's office. Despite the circumstances, it seemed to work out with Joshua's case.

______________________

Dedicating this to TiffanyFH for being the biggest sweetheart out there. Thanks for all the support and the lovely messages!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...