Rough Heart | ethan dolan

By bymarsammie

some people say that the most important things in life cannot be seen or even touched; they are felt with the... More

before reading
[one - eric & gregory?]
[two - secrets & fights]
[three - making a deal]
[four - another fight?]
[five - defending ethan & charlie's downfall]
[six - cleaning the mess]
[seven - helping ethan & finding a note]
[eight - can't take it anymore]
[nine - samantha hughes?]
[ten - jealousy, kayaking, & changing ethan]
[eleven - introducing robert]
[twelve - coming up for fresh air]
[thirteen - where's ethan?]
[fourteen - skipping class]
[fifteen - confessions & finding ethan]
[sixteen - love?]
[seventeen - revealing & talking]
[eighteen - shhh, i'm sleeping]
[nineteen - football team & locke howard]
[twenty - birthday party plans & a heartbeat]
[twenty one - football tryouts & finding another note]
[twenty two - anne's painting & homecoming plans]
[twenty three - mother's know everything & ethan breaking the rules]
[twenty four - the damn car horn]
[twenty five - "hell"coming pt.1]
[twenty six - "hell"coming pt.2]
[twenty seven - "hell"coming pt.3]
[twenty eight - talking it out & making a promise]
[twenty nine - another note & disappointing anne]
[thirty - convincing the principal]
[thirty one - a present for ethan & an unexpected call]
[thirty two - helping anne & ethan's birthday gift]
[thirty three - E&G's birthday party pt.1]
[thirty four - E&G's birthday party pt.2]
[thirty five - E&G's birthday party pt.3]
[thirty six - the aftermath of disaster]
[thirty seven - time to explain]
[thirty eight - the story of ethan's past]
[thirty nine - "for you, jess"]
[forty - have you ever?]
[forty one - first time in a long time]
[forty three - understanding, a bucket list, & a sleepover]
[forty four - a night spent with ethan]
[forty five - ethan vs. charlie... pt.2?]
[forty six - "he needs me."]
[forty seven - we can never go back]
[forty eight - samantha spills]
[forty nine - emotional anne & finding a final note]
πŸ”΄[news - NOT A CHAPTER (please read!)]
[fifty - leaving for new jersey]
[fifty one - new jersey wedding weekend pt.1]
[fifty two - new jersey wedding weekend pt.2]
[fifty three - new jersey wedding weekend pt.3]
[fifty four - new jersey wedding weekend pt.4]
[fifty five - graduation gowns & dreaded words]
[fifty six - the days after anne]
[epilogue]
artwork and news

[forty two - charlie's return & anne's news]

55.2K 1.4K 2.7K
By bymarsammie

The next few weeks fly by.

October arrives; the air becomes cooler, the leaves change color, and everyone at Clearview High seems to be more and more ready to graduate and get the hell out of high school with each passing day. I can't lie, I am beyond ready to be done with high school.

However, I'm not ready to make the inevitable decision of where I am going to attend college. My mom and I are pretty set on Berkeley as of now, but who knows. 

Ethan and I have yet to have the whole "future" conversation. To be honest, I'm a bit scared to ask him where he wants to go because I am afraid of being disappointed. I don't want to have to start thinking about a potential break-up due to long distance. At least not right now, that is.

So I've decided to continue enjoying Ethan and I's relationship and live in the moment instead of worrying about what's to come. After all, we do have eight more months, and Ethan isn't the type of person to worry about our future anyways.

I've spent the past few weeks being with Ethan, gossiping with Lilly as always, painting with Anne, studying, and, believe it or not, even attending a bonfire party. Lilly begged and begged me to go with her last weekend, and I finally caved in, as I usually do. I was disappointed, though, when Ethan didn't surprise me and randomly show up again just to see me. He wasn't too fond of me attending, especially since he's not allowed to, but it ended up working out because I went to his house afterwards.

Painting with Anne has become a new favorite hobby of mine. Occasionally when I'll be over with Ethan, she'll whip out a few canvases and we'll get to work. She has easily become somewhat of a second mother to me, which, in a way, really sucks.

Not getting to know her, of course, but the fact that I am just now getting close with her, and she doesn't have much time left. 

I enjoy our painting sessions so much and am so glad I have started my long-lost hobby again, but it hurts every time I remember my painting buddy will soon be gone.

And if it hurts just for me to think about it, I can't imagine how Ethan or Grayson feel.

Ethan loves how Anne and I paint, and I love how he loves it. He keeps a lot of my paintings and compliments every one. He also claims I am getting better and better with each painting, but I think he's just saying that to be nice.

Anne continues to amaze me with her painting. You would think that by now I would be used to her talent and that it would come as no surprise to me that her paintings are always so good, but it never gets old. She is such an incredible painter, and I feel honored to paint by her side, really.

I never fail to compliment her on the main painting in the living room of the rose on the wooden table. For some reason, that painting catches my eye every time I am in that house. It's the most gorgeous painting I have ever seen.

"You know, Anne, this will always be my favorite one." I told her as I pointed to the large painting over the living room couch around two weeks ago. 

She smiled her signature smile, adjusting the bandana covering her head in the process.

"Do you want to know something?" She grinned.

I nodded.

"That one has always been Ethan's favorite, too. I'm sure he would never tell you, but he used to always compliment me on that specific one, just like you do."

I remember my heart melting, right there in that living room. No matter what happens, the Dolan family will always find a way touch my heart. I feel so fortunate to know them.

I've always loved October and Autumn in general, so I don't particularly mind walking into school today. I feel content as I watch the leaves from all around me continue to fall and peacefully lay themselves onto the ground.

My hatred for school soon returns, though, when I reach my first period class. 

Immediately after walking in, I notice Amy out of the corner of my eye rushing over to me.

"Jessica, oh my gosh, did you hear?" Her lip gloss shines as she talks.

"Hear what?" I become anxious.

Amy sighs, looking around to see if anyone else is listening.

"Charlie is coming back tomorrow."

My eyes widen.

"What? W-What do you mean he's coming back-"

"He's out of rehab, and he's returning to school tomorrow. I talked to Sarah this morning, and she's like, completely freaking out."

"Has Sarah talked to him at all?"

"No. She stopped talking to him awhile ago whenever he went away, just like everyone else. But she hasn't been the same since, you know? She's been distant. I think she was happy about him coming back, honestly. When I talked to her this morning she was the most excited I've seen her be in a long time."

I take a moment to ponder.

"I haven't talked to her in awhile, but Lilly did say she's been different ever since that whole... situation, with him."

I don't even want to remember back to when Charlie showed up at Ethan's house just to beat him up, and ended up hitting me, too.

I will never forget. I lost all respect for Charlie that day, who I thought was one of my good friends. 

"Yeah, and she hasn't been to one bonfire party since, and she used to love my parties."

"That's strange. I guess we'll just have to see what happens,"

"I wonder if Charlie is better... I miss him. I miss the old Charlie, who loved Sarah with all of his heart and who was a good friend to all of us. He was such a cool guy, you know? And then he pulled off what he did to you and Ethan and he just changed."

I sigh, fiddling with the folder in my hands for a moment. 

"I know. We'll have to careful and also look out for Sarah, too. I have a feeling she is going to want to go back to him." I admit.

"Me too. Let's keep in touch, yeah?" Amy suggests.

"Yeah, for sure."

Amy slightly waves as I walk off to my desk across the classroom. I didn't even notice Ethan had already walked in.

I slip into my desk beside him.

"What's going on?" He leans over, his eyes full of concern.

"Charlie is returning to school tomorrow." I shrug.

Ethan shifts in his seat.

"That fucking asshole is back?"

"I guess so."

Ethan's eyebrows furrow and I can tell he doesn't like where this is going.

"Stay away from him, Jess." He says, his voice coming out deeper than usual.

I look over into his eyes.

"I'm a big girl. I'll be fine, Ethan." I grin.

"He hit you," Ethan's fists clench beside him and I immediately reach over to place my hand on his, attempting to relax him.

"Everything is okay, Ethan. Don't think about that."

He shakes his head.

"I want you to stay away from him. I mean it."

I scoff.

"Relax... It's not a big deal-"

"Do you want to talk to him?" He asks.

Do I?

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing how he is, and if he's better or not. I want to see if he would even talk to me, or try and apologize.

"No." I lie.

"He hurt you, Jess. Please stay away from him, I can't stand even thinking about something like that happening to you again. It kills me."

I admire how sweet Ethan is and how he is looking out for me, but at the same time, I can make my own decisions and look out for myself.

"I know. I love you, Ethan."

He sighs before blinking a few times.

"I love you."

Mrs. Jones enters the classroom and begins her lecture as my fingers slip out of Ethan's grip. 

-

"Did you hear about Charlie?" Lilly excitedly asks as she climbs into my passenger seat.

"Yes, Lil."

"Well? What do you think about it?" 

I start my car, and begin backing out of my parking space as Lilly fastens her seat belt.

"I don't know. I'm worried about Sarah."

Lilly turns the music down a bit, which I don't think she has ever done before.

"Me too. I think she should stay away from him after what he did."

"I agree."

"But then again, everyone deserves a second chance, right?"

I glance at Lilly for a moment, then quickly revert my eyes to the road.

"Not Charlie." I decide.

"You're right."

We simultaneously sigh.

"I wonder how things will go with him coming back, like if he'll be the same, or not."

I bite the inside of my cheek.

"Me too."

My phone suddenly vibrates, startling Lilly and I both. Lilly grabs it from the cup holder.

"It's Grayson."

Hm. I wonder why he's calling me.

"Here," I reach out and she hands the phone to me.

I lightly tap the 'accept' button. 

"Hello?" 

"Hey, Jessica? Are you doing anything right now?"

"Uh, no, I'm just about to drop Lilly off."

He is silent for a moment.

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

"Um... Define okay," Grayson says.

"What happened, Grayson?"

"Can you just... can you come over? Ethan's in one of his moods so I'm sure he doesn't feel like talking about it so I'll just have to tell you myself."

Oh...

"You're scaring me,"

"Just come over, okay?"

-

After playing twenty questions with Lilly and having to repeatedly explain to her that even I don't know what's going on, I finally drop her off after having to promise that I'll tell her what happened as soon as I know.

I drive a bit over the speed limit as I make my way to the Dolan's, worried about what could be happening.

I park my car at the end of the long driveway as I usually do and walk up to the front door, my heart beating out of my chest.

There's no telling what it could be, especially since it had the power to put Ethan in one of his moods.

I hesitantly ring the doorbell, then take a step away from the door. Grayson soon answers, looks behind him, then shuts the door quickly before joining me on the porch.

"What's going on?" I ask, not wasting any time.

Grayson sighs.

Just as he opens his mouth to speak, the front door opens once again and Anne appears in the doorframe.

"Who's here, Gray-" Anne begins, but notices me standing behind Grayson then smiles bigger than she ever has before, "Jessica! Thank god you're here!"

Anne is usually excitable and smiley, but something seems different this time.

"Have you heard the news?" She asks, stomping her feet under her playfully.

"No, I haven't," I tell her, obviously confused.

I glance over to Grayson, who just shoots me a certain look and sighs.

"Ahhh!" Anne exclaims, opening the door completely and rushing over to me.

She lifts her hand in front of my face, and my jaw unwillingly falls to the floor when I see a diamond on her ring finger.

"Robert and I are getting married!"

-

votes and comments = faster updates :)

sooo... what do you think about charlie coming back and anne and robert getting married?

trust me, you'll want to stay tuned for this one, hahaha.

thank you so much for reading as always, i hope you enjoyed. it's summer now for me, so look forward to more frequent updates. (:

there are about 20 chapters left!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110K 1.5K 43
Process of editing || "Alright kids. I'm going to tell you a story about how I met your father" "It all started in high school..."
7.9K 66 20
dolan twin fanfics//imagines .....hope you enjoy
16.2K 432 19
Ethan Dolan is just another person in the world until jealousy gets him in prison. His father died when he was fifteen and he's not yet recovered sin...
20.9K 575 36
πŸ’Œ!Β‘ | ❝ π‚π”ππˆπƒ missed his shot! ❞ imagines about the one and only ethan and grayson dolan ΰΌ‰β€§β‚ŠΛšβœ§ γ€Žβœ“completed』